Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: The Culture of Corruption Will be the Death of China

OT: The Culture of Corruption Will be the Death of China

People are getting ****ed and heads are rolling.

This is the latest in a string of officials to be executed for massive corruption. I predicted this would happen after the melamine fiasco hit however it appears that, in this case, it was other matters that led to his demise.

Still this latest execution is merely Beijing making a show of discouraging the culture of corruption which has descimated china's social millieu.

Right now, in China, it is commonplace for people to buy jobs, frequently for as much as a decade's salary, because the position is one where both the official non-monetary benefits and (more relevantly) the opportunity for kickbacks are so great that they outweigh the cost.

The fact that jobs are going to the highest bidder rather than the most qualified exacerbates the situation.

The Chinese public is becoming highly dissatisfied with this corruption. The fact is that the much (inappropriately) lauded Deng Xiaoping dragged China away from the iron rice bowl and into capitalism without providing any actual freedom in exchange for the loss of pseudo-communist security. This has made corruption worse (and it was BAD before) as the only rights Chinese people seem to have are property rights! When EVERYBODY is taking bribes so they can buy a new car, a flashier phone or a more elaborate set of living room furniture is it any surprise that people who can only fully express themselves through what they buy, who have become consumers rather than citizens, decide to get in on the action?

What China MUST deal with NOW if they wish to survive and to continue to grow is the ENDEMIC bribe taking and corruption that permeates EVERY walk of life from private business, to schools to government.

If it isn't dealt with soon mark my words...

More heads will roll.

With equal likelihood that it is at the behest of the powers in Beijing or at the behest of those who will replace them.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Read stuff from Ming, Qing, Republic and Communist periods and you will read the same stuff. Read about Taiwan. Something indemic to the culture.....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    People are getting ****ed and heads are rolling.

This is the latest in a string of officials to be executed for massive corruption. I predicted this would happen after the melamine fiasco hit however it appears that, in this case, it was other matters that led to his demise.

Still this latest execution is merely Beijing making a show of discouraging the culture of corruption which has descimated china's social millieu.

Right now, in China, it is commonplace for people to buy jobs, frequently for as much as a decade's salary, because the position is one where both the official non-monetary benefits and (more relevantly) the opportunity for kickbacks are so great that they outweigh the cost.

The fact that jobs are going to the highest bidder rather than the most qualified exacerbates the situation.

The Chinese public is becoming highly dissatisfied with this corruption. The fact is that the much (inappropriately) lauded Deng Xiaoping dragged China away from the iron rice bowl and into capitalism without providing any actual freedom in exchange for the loss of pseudo-communist security. This has made corruption worse (and it was BAD before) as the only rights Chinese people seem to have are property rights! When EVERYBODY is taking bribes so they can buy a new car, a flashier phone or a more elaborate set of living room furniture is it any surprise that people who can only fully express themselves through what they buy, who have become consumers rather than citizens, decide to get in on the action?

What China MUST deal with NOW if they wish to survive and to continue to grow is the ENDEMIC bribe taking and corruption that permeates EVERY walk of life from private business, to schools to government.

If it isn't dealt with soon mark my words...

More heads will roll.

With equal likelihood that it is at the behest of the powers in Beijing or at the behest of those who will replace them.
    see in vancouver everyone knows bikers run **** and you may get away with robbing them, but you don't **** with the triads because there is so many of them and they don't wear biker patches. asians run organized crime but the bikers own it as it's still a white christian nation...notice how the roman catholic church is so corrupt with the sex scandals and killing indians and then you see how a lot of the bikers are italian...

anyway, how big is triad involvement with the CCP?.

WTF?

???????????????????????????????

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

From what (admittedly little) I've read about Chinese culture, local "favor economies" seem to have been extremely predominant as a system of trading goods and services, moreso than rigid price-based buying and selling. Seems fairly reasonable that having the latter superimposed on the former would cause problems of this nature (that is, of course, an extreme oversimplification).

LOL! China has been using a money based economy continuously for over 2000 years. They pretty much invented most of modern banking. The Shanxi merchant guild was one of the most powerful financial entities in the world in their day.

They toyed with Communism under Mao but it was never really implemented properly and systemic mismanagement of agriculture and industry further decimated a country still reeling from a century of colonial warfare.

Deng Xiaoping barely waited for Mao's corpse to cool before he started implementing "reforms" (which basically meant return to the status quo of the last 2000 years, an autocratic central government founded on an exam based bureaucracy with an independent and largely unregulated free market) however the problems with corruption (which follow such a formulation) returned (one could say continued as Mao did not stop the problems though they have got worse since the end of the cultural revolution) with a vengeance and now completely permeate the country.
    Last edited by SimonM; 11-26-2008 at 03:18 PM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    WTF?

???????????????????????????????

nerd

bikers run the ports and do business with the asians ask some one

China corruption linked to triads

March 10, 2002 Posted: 11:40 PM EST (0440 GMT)
    People's National Congress
    People's National Congress
    Save a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.comSave a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.com
    Printer-friendly version of this articlePrinter-friendly version of this article

Email a link to this articleEmail a link to this article
    View a list of the most popular articles on our siteView a list of the most popular articles on our site
    Willy Wo-Lap Lam
    CNN Senior China Analyst

(CNN) -- More than 2,600 influential officials were last year implicated in crimes including corruption, with triad groups increasingly implicated in this scourge of Chinese administration.

Six ministerial-level cadres were among those included in the figure, indicated the problem tainted even senior levels of government.

In his report to the National People's Congress (NPC) on Monday, the Head of the Supreme People's Procuratorate (SPP) Han Zhubin also disclosed that 40,195 people were investigated for graft-related crimes in 2001.

The head of the SPP, which handles investigations and prosecutions in the Chinese legal system, also indicated that the state was able to recover losses of 4.1 billion yuan (US$550 million) as a result of timely action by legal officials.

EXTRA INFORMATION
    IN-DEPTH: People's National Congress

CNN.com Asia
    More news from our
    Asia edition

The best known among the six ministerial-level cadres who lost their jobs was former Governor of Yunnan Province, Li Jiating, who reportedly took bribes worth more than 1 million yuan ($120,000).

Judicial officials said there was a growing link at the NPC between corrupt officials and triad societies, or Chinese-style mafia.

In his report presented Monday to the legislature, the President of the Supreme People's Court Xiao Yang said the courts heard 350 cases of triad activities last year, up 630 percent from 2000.
    Lengthy jail terms

The number of suspected triad members put on trial was 1,953, up 380 percent from the year before.

Provincial papers have reported that triads played a key role in the well-publicized corruption cases involving senior officials in Yunnan and Shenyang.

For example, former governor Li Jiating's son, who reportedly pocketed 20 million yuan, was said to be a leader of a triad gang.

However, Han's report also admitted growing problems with the probity of law-enforcement officials.

Four hundred and six officials at various levels of the procuratorate were last year subject to investigation for corruption and other reasons.

Fifty six procuratorate cadres were put on trial for criminal offences.

Among them, head of the Shenyang Procuratorate, Liu Shi, was given a jail term of 20 years for corruption and leaking state secrets.

In his NPC report, Han also said a top priority of law enforcement this year would be to launch "strike hard" campaigns against subversive and anti-government groups, including terrorist and cult organizations.

Thumbs down

don't let the fact that the original post had nothing to do with biker gangs and triads stop you from posting about what you always post about

LOL! China has been using a money based economy continuously for over 2000 years. They pretty much invented most of modern banking. The Shanxi merchant guild was one of the most powerful financial entities in the world in their day.
    Eh, suppose I phrased that poorly. Didn't mean to say "favor economy" was a system used in place of money, but more as a common practice of modification of that same money economy, which does tend to produce a high incidence of corruption.

As I said, though, my knowledge of historical Chinese culture is cursory at best. I did know that communism was never actually implemented, Maoism (along with all other Leninist-derivatives) being more of a form of totalitarian state-capitalism than anything else, but my knowledge base rapidly declines regarding anything pre-CR.

don't let the fact that the original post had nothing to do with biker gangs and triads stop you from posting about what you always post about
    asians are buying up vancouver, when a commie gets executed for corruption i'd like to know I'm highly disgusted and frightened at the levels of future organized crime about to pop off once the white power structure dwindles in the next fifty years...rwanda anyone... I live in hongcouver dude, it worries me how ugly the CCP be and honestly I don't see much hope for them, dude gets executed it's worth a post. I'm not aware that I always post about corrupt people

The article I posted gave no indication of Triad involvement. It simply stated he had taken bribes from drug companies to give a pass to drugs without proper safety inspection protocols.

Corruption in China is certainly not limited to organized crime syndicates. As I said it is endemic.

That said it has nothing to do with the colour of the skin of those involved either. Racism is abhorrent.
    Last edited by SimonM; 11-26-2008 at 03:52 PM.
    Simon McNeil

The article I posted gave no indication of Triad involvement. It simply stated he had taken bribes from drug companies to give a pass to drugs without proper safety inspection protocols.

Corruption in China is certainly not limited to organized crime syndicates. As I said it is endemic.

That said it has nothing to do with the colour of the skin of those involved either. Racism is abhorrent.
    white people run organized crime just like they run the governments...cia will off anyone. it's a racist world. people always talk about conspiracy theories but really it's just gangsters using church's and governments to push their stamp. bannanas and women is what the world is about, seeing this guy get his head chopped off gives me that "I told you so" chill. I'm on some chicken little **** too dude, I agree with you

tin foil hat brigade

tin foil hat brigade
    tell that to the natives chauch