Thread: Who first introduced the style of NORTHERN SHAOLIN (bak sil lam) in the USA?

Who first introduced the style of NORTHERN SHAOLIN (bak sil lam) in the USA?

Don't have any more details,that is my question.So,who?

It could be argued that Lee Ying Arng: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytQBOT_8Pq0 was the first to introduce aspects of Gu Ru Zhang's North Shaolin by way of his Iron Palm teachings.

The wide spread of it through books, instruction, distance learning etc would have to go to Kwong Wing Lam though.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 12-29-2016 at 08:22 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I don't know if he was the first, but Wong Jack Man would certainly have been *one of* the earliest. He was already here by 1964 and maybe earlier. I think he was already teaching in '64. And from what I've heard, his style was seen as something different in San Francisco's Chinatown at that time.

OTOH, I heard that Wing Lam started teaching in the U.S. in 1967.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I don't know if he was the first, but Wong Jack Man would certainly have been *one of* the earliest. He was already here by 1964 and maybe earlier. I think he was already teaching in '64. And from what I've heard, his style was seen as something different in San Francisco's Chinatown at that time.

OTOH, I heard that Wing Lam started teaching in the U.S. in 1967.
    Wong Jack Man was indeed teaching early on, but wide spread introduction as a whole would be proferred by Wing Lam.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Wong Jack Man was indeed teaching early on, but wide spread introduction as a whole would be proferred by Wing Lam.
    Definitely Wing Lam gets credit for proliferation, but this is like trying to figure out who first boiled an egg. Someone could have came to the USA and only taught their family for all we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Paximus View Post
    Someone could have came to the USA and only taught their family for all we know.
    Yes. This factor makes it very difficult to pinpoint things for purposes of history. They may have taught only their family, or their family association, or at the association they belonged to, or simply exclusively within the Chinese community.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Paximus View Post
    Definitely Wing Lam gets credit for proliferation, but this is like trying to figure out who first boiled an egg. Someone could have came to the USA and only taught their family for all we know.
    Well, that would just render the question moot. the USA isn't a family or a closed door. I assumed it meant widespread notification of availability, which would mean that "keep it in the family" practitioners are irrelevant to the whole.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Wing Lam is a student of Wong Jack Man who is certainly the pioneer of BSL in North America.
    (((David you usurped my tag line))) [[i approve��]]
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up