Thread: whats happening now in China. Kung fu schools around Shaolin are closing?

whats happening now in China. Kung fu schools around Shaolin are closing?

Hello!
    My shaolin shifu in Greece told me that the most kung fu schools around shaolin are closing. Shi De yans schooll is closed too. Only Tagou is still standing. Is this true or fake?

Kung Fu schools are closing all around China. In Foshan, Wudang and other places too?
    Why? Whats happening? Have anyone hear about this news?

been there, done that...

Shaolin recently demolished Wangzhiguo which was a small settlement across from Shaolin Temple, behind the Temple of Four Directions on the other side of the river. It's where many of the workers for the area lived and where some longer term foreign students lodged. I think there were three hotels there. I remember when that was built, after the relocation at the turn of the millennium. I brought that up here a little while ago.

I have not heard about Kung Fu schools closing across China or anywhere else yet, at least no more than usual. It's a delicate business running a school, even in China.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Shaolin recently demolished Wangzhiguo which was a small settlement across from Shaolin Temple, behind the Temple of Four Directions on the other side of the river. It's where many of the workers for the area lived and where some longer term foreign students lodged. I think there were three hotels there. I remember when that was built, after the relocation at the turn of the millennium. I brought that up here a little while ago.

I have not heard about Kung Fu schools closing across China or anywhere else yet, at least no more than usual. It's a delicate business running a school, even in China.
    Thank you Gene for the answer!

Slightly OT

China martial arts school fire kills 18, mostly children
    Published8 hours ago
    Thousands of students attend kung fu training centres in Henan province, the birthplace of Chinese martial arts
    At least 18 were killed and 16 injured after a fire tore through a martial arts school in China - many of them young children, local media said.

Most of the victims were reportedly pupils aged between seven and 16 who lived and studied at the Zhenxing Martial Arts Centre in Henan province.

The blaze broke out early on Friday and has been put out, local authorities said, but it is unclear how it started.

Fatal fires are not uncommon in China, which has patchy safety regulations.

The person in charge of the martial arts centre has been arrested, according to a brief statement from Zhecheng county government posted on its official WeChat channel.

Government officials told Beiing Toutiao News that there were 34 boarding students at the centre when the fire broke out at 03:00 local time on Friday (19:00 GMT Thursday).

Injured students were quickly rushed to a local hospital. Parents interviewed by news agency Reuters said they were not given any information nor were they allowed to see their children yet.

"At Zhenxing, the kids would study and practice martial arts in the day and live there every night. I don't know what caused the fire," said the father of a nine-year-old boy who survived.

Another parent told Reuters that "all information is being blocked".

Home of the famous Shaolin Temple, Henan province is known to be the birthplace of Chinese martial arts, where thousands of students study in kung fu training camps.
    Tragic. I've often thought that a lot of the facilities around Shaolin were fire traps, including the Wushuguan when I stayed there.

I don't know Zhenxing. Anyone?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart