Thread: Is MMA Art?

Hybrid View

Orosco and Smash Global

FEBRUARY 02, 2017 10:30am PT by Chris Gardner
    Mixed Martial Arts Star Responds to Meryl Streep Golden Globes Insult With Smackdown Event
    SMASH Global founder Steve "Hulk Smash" Orosco tells THR that the sport is not without artistry: "Like Meryl Streep said, 'We let you feel what we do.'"

Getty Images
    Meryl Streel and Steve Orosco

SMASH Global founder Steve "Hulk Smash" Orosco tells THR that the sport is not without artistry: "Like Meryl Streep said, 'We let you feel what we do.'"
    When Meryl Streep took to the stage to accept her Cecil B. DeMille Award at the Golden Globes on Jan. 8, she took a not-so-subtle jab at two sports: “So Hollywood is crawling with outsiders and foreigners, and if we kick them all out you’ll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts, which are not the arts.” In a surprising coincidence, a new MMA event has been added to Oscar week, one that best actress contender Streep surely won't be attending.
    The Hollywood Reporter has learned that Smash Global — a producer of luxury events that feature professional MMA fighters — will be hosting a pre-Oscar MMA Fight Gala on Feb. 23. The private, black-tie charity gala will benefit anti-bullying while featuring a cocktail reception and a four-course dinner with guests seated around a fight cage in the Taglyan Complex on Vine Street in Hollywood.
    Founder Steve “Hulk Smash” Orosco will honor a yet-to-be-announced "high-profile individual" for their contribution to the sport of mixed martial arts before the night's centerpiece entertainment: five sanctioned MMA fights live in the cage.
    Orosco tells THR that he chose the date "to celebrate the artists who have influenced uncountable lives, in almost every country in the world," and to be close to Hollywood's biggest night.
    "What child did not want to take up karate after watching Enter the Dragon? Or learn how to kick-box after watching Blood Sport? From Chuck Norris and Jean-Claude Van Damme, to icons like Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Chow Yun Fat, Steven Seagal, Tony Jaa, Scott Adkins, Jason Statham, Michael Jai White, Michelle Yeoh, Jackie Chan and so many more, our night is to celebrate in a raw, unfiltered fashion, the outstanding films, filmmakers and artists who have successfully fought their way to the prize ring of the Academy Awards."
    He continued: "When I’m in that cage there are so many elements at play; the artistry of my movement, the anticipation of my opponents actions, and the performance for the spectators. Like Meryl Streep said, we let you [the audience] feel what we do. The passion, the intensity, the loss, the fear and (hopefully) the triumph. The entire human emotional scale is at play."

Unique Nicole/Getty

Smash Global founder and CEO Steve Orosco speaks in the cage at Smash Global IV Event at Taglyan Complex in Los Angeles on Sept. 15, 2016. (Photo by Unique Nicole/Getty Images,)
    Orosco can't really use martial arts film to defend MMA (although I confess to doing the same - intentionally - in the cover story of the upcoming issue ) I gotta give him cred tho, for trying to capitalize on an offhand statement about something totally different (again, my next cover story will do the same )

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Although I do think it is funny that any MMA people would get their panties into a wad over her remark.
    Yeah, I'm totally with you on this. Martial artists can be so **** neurotic. When you compare that to the reaction of football to this, especially now on Superbowl weekend, you can really see the disparity of sports.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Either way, if going by proposed criteria, combat is inherently competitive. That's what fighting is.
    Ture, but there's a distinction for sport. Combat has no rules. Sport is all about rules. And the rules of art are?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Modernism and post- modernism has pretty much defined art as being 100% subjective so, yes, MMA is artistic.
    If a picture of Jesus in urine ( remember that?) can be art, so can the graceful, yet brutal, display of kicking someone in the face.

Streep's comment was, quite simply, ignorant AND arrogant.
    She doesn't get to define what Art is any she has no idea about the ethnicity of MMA ( or anything it seems)
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

MAY+JUNE 2017 cover story

Remember this? Well, it inspired our present cover story in the MAY+JUNE 2017 cover story issue: When is a Martial Art an Art? Complex Aesthetics and Traditional Kung Fu By Gene Ching and Gigi Oh
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Seven year shade throwback...

Meryl Streep’s Comments About Mixed Martial Arts Motivated Conor McGregor to Prove Her Wrong in ‘Road House’
    Tatiana Tenreyro
    Wed, March 20, 2024 at 7:25 AM PDT·3 min read

At the New York City premiere of Doug Liman’s remake of Road House on Tuesday, Conor McGregor shared with The Hollywood Reporter how Meryl Streep’s negative comments about mixed martial arts made him want to prove himself even more while starring in the film.

While accepting the Cecil B. DeMille Award at the 2017 Golden Globes, Streep said, “Hollywood is crawling with outsiders and foreigners. And if we kick them all out, you’ll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts, which are not the arts.” Her remark was met with roaring applause, but her comments hurt athletes in the UFC, including McGregor.

“Fighting is the most beautiful form of art, and you know, it’s a great thing to come into this game, which is also art,” he said. “I was really taken aback because fighting is an art. It’s brutal also, so I can understand. It’s not for somebody to make a mistake; it’s real artistry for those who do what we do, so I came in [to filming Road House] with maybe a little chip on my shoulder and wanting to represent my sport and my art, give my best in this arena.”

In this iteration of Road House, McGregor plays the villainous Knox, who faces off against former UFC champion-turned-bouncer Dalton (Jake Gyllenhaal) in a battle for the titular bar. While appearing on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Gyllenhaal shared that the UFC star “clocked” him in the face “by mistake.”

McGregor confirmed he did in fact hit Gyllenhaal in the face, saying, “Aye, one or two little wallops. What’s a fight between friends, eh? At the lovely Road House.” The Irish athlete added, “But he gave ’em back, too! Jake’s a consummate professional, and he took it well and gave it right back. That’s what you gotta do. Gotta get up and fight right back.”

When asked if he thinks his co-star has what it takes to be a real-life UFC champion, McGregor had nothing but kind words: “For sure, he could, yes, for sure, I’d love to see him do it. I’d love to see him have a fight or two.”

Lukas Gage, who plays bartender Billy in the film, was also in attendance at the premiere and spoke about the behind-the-scenes process of filming the movie’s many fight scenes. “It was intense. I never have done stunt training or fight training before,” he said. “Taking on full stunt training under Steve Brown and Garrett Warren, they did Avatar and some of the best action films … it was an honor to learn from people who know what they’re doing.”

Gage ended up doing many of his own stunts, which he wasn’t expecting. “I think I just assumed, okay, like, sometimes they’ll have a stunt person there to take over and have your back. But no, Doug, the stunt guys, everyone really wanted us to really do it on our own, and I’m so glad I did. It pushed me. It got me out of my comfort zone. I’m like a really laid-back dude in real life so to push myself in that way was really cool.”

While Gage didn’t need a stunt double for fight sequences, another one of the film’s stars was ready to pull off a terrifying stunt but ended up not doing so. Daniela Melchior, who plays Dalton’s love interest Ellie, has a terrifying scene in a sinking yacht where she tries to break free after being kidnapped. “I had scuba diving lessons [for the scene],” said Melchior. However, the scene ended up requiring a stunt double because it was likely “too dangerous for production,” according to the actress.

Road House will be available to stream on Amazon Prime Video on Thursday.
    Road-House-Redux
    Is-MMA-Art
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips