Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: two man bone on bone shin drills

two man bone on bone shin drills

would like to hear from others what are your opinions on bone on bone two man shin drills. effective, not effective. what styles use these drills and positive and negative aspects of doing such drills. thanks

no one's going to respond to a thread title that starts "two man bone on bone..." but ok

Used to bang shins together by mistake when we didn't have leg guards on. About as edifying as snorting wasabi.

Negative aspects? hurts. Positive aspects?...... it's like two fallow deer banging their antlers together. If you're into that. Maybe if you kill enough of your nerves it will stop hurting. Is that a positive aspect? Or maybe some grotesque mass of extra bone tissue will accrete and you can claim to have "iron leg"
    Last edited by rett2; 01-24-2017 at 01:39 AM.

ok here is another question does anyone train in a system that does a drill where two people face each other and similar to arm banging but use their shin bones making contact?

Ok, here.

But it is not bone to bone contact. It is alongside of the bone and the back of the calf.

For over the bone, use sandbag or hard heavybag.
    Last edited by -N-; 01-21-2017 at 07:20 PM.

thanks ,along side the bone I vaguely remember hearing that too. I should this drill to one of my kung fu partners and he insisted the shin bone be used. after all the bone is the part that needs to be toughened for contact, so wonder if any system actually uses the bone for this drill.

So what does your teacher say to do?

This training is more than just making your body tough. It trains relaxed body power and impact.

My sihing and I trained this before the beginning of every class. People could hear the impact of the strikes from 150 feet away.

Doc Fai Wong and Adam Hsui had classes next to ours at the park. Every time we did this training, their students would hear the noise across the park and stop to see what was going on.

I learned many solo and two person conditioning drills from my old Shaolin teacher who was a disciple of Shi De Yang, and his specialty was Ying Qigong. that one drill he taught me once and I remember he mentioned use the side of the bone not directly on the shin bone. later I was working with one of my Present day Shifu's students and showed him the drill and he thought we should use the shin bone for contact, thinking about that it makes sense, cause in sparring with now kicks it is the shin bone that sometimes makes contact in blocking kicks and needs to be strengthened. I don't keep in touch with my old Shifu so was wondering if others have done this drill. obviously it is very light contact when connect with shin bone to shin bone.

Not much point to do light contact on bone with a partner.

Just do heavy contact on bone with sandbags.

When sparring, use hard against soft targets, and soft against hard targets.

yes thanks for the advice N. I watched a few videos also mentions doing high reps on a heavy bag and sparring even with shin guards, which I insist we wear also helps conditioning.

I've practiced these methods for decades now.

They work, they toughen you up and you will be less prone to being immediately injured when someone hits you.

The guy I train with now, we've been training together now for about 13 years.
    With 3 star blocking I was about 10 years ahead of him when he picked it up again and man, he used to bruise really bad.
    Now, after all this time and actually some years ago, the bruising got less and less and less and now, no bruising at all.

So, yes, slow and steady is the way and the star blocking arm and leg knocking drills are a benefit to anyone who practices martial arts.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

so David to be specific, you train making contact directly with the shins bone on bone?

Why waste precious partner-practice time on something you can do alone, like conditioning your shins?

Knocking shinbone against shinbone will imo detract from the kind of drills in -N-'s gif, or like in the below vid from around 1:10.

If you do shin conditioning by yourself with some kind of equipment you can use just the right balance of gentleness/force.

Last edited by rett2; 01-24-2017 at 01:40 AM.

the same can be said with any arm banging drill as well. common sense tells you, you can use a tree or post. doesn't feel quiet the same as working with a partner, and in a sparring match or real fight you will more likely be making contact with a human's shin bone not a tree, if using low kicks often.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    the same can be said with any arm banging drill as well. common sense tells you, you can use a tree or post. doesn't feel quiet the same as working with a partner, and in a sparring match or real fight you will more likely be making contact with a human's shin bone not a tree, if using low kicks often.
    The difference of course is that banging arms together isn't as painful and distracting as shinbone to shinbone impacts.