Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laidback Luke - Kung Fu EDM DJ

Laidback Luke

I follow EDM a little but I've not heard of this DJ yet. I hope he makes it out west someday.

Fact: Laidback Luke Is (Literally) a World Champion Kung-Fu Fighter
    By S. Pajot Tue., Oct. 15 2013 at 11:00 AM

Laidback Luke isn't just some international EDM superstar. He's also a kung-fu master.

But like all truly dangerous martial artists (and genuinely famous DJ-producers), he prefers to undersell his neck-snapping and ass-kicking skills.

"I'm not really a master yet," Luke insists, modestly. "But I am practicing at a high level, yes."

Despite this show of humility and grace, the Dutch DJ does readily acknowledge his superiority among Planet Earth's 35- to 40-year-old kung-fu fighters.

"It's true," he admits, "that I actually won five medals, four gold and one silver, at the championships of kung-fu in Hong Kong. And this is like the Olympics of kung-fu. There's like 10,000 competitors. So it was a dream come true."

But how does one become an expert at both beat-matching and Tiger Claw-ing?

Well, Luke explains, you learn to fight, beginning at the age of 8. "I definitely come from the Karate Kid generation."

You become obsessed with dance music as a teen. "The first track that inspired me was Technotronic's 'Pump Up the Jam'!"

And you practice and teach these sacred disciplines. "I basically train for kung-fu about one and a half hours per day, and I'm also a trainer. Oh, and I've also got a new Pioneer DJ tutorial on YouTube right now."

Obviously, though, it isn't the medals or the money or the glory that's the goal. It's balance and well-being and self-empowerment.

"The kung-fu and the DJing really adds up for me," Luke explains. "It helps me feel energized and it helps me deal with stress.

"Basically, when I come out of a kung-fu session," and presumably a DJ sesh, "I feel like I can take on the world!"

Laidback Luke's Musically Driven Bus Tour. With D.O.D. Friday, October 18, at Story, 136 Collins Ave., Miami Beach. The show starts at 11 p.m. and tickets cost $35 to $45 plus fees via wantickets.com. Ages 21 and up. Call 305-538-2424 or visit storymiami.com.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Laidback Luke's Kung Fu Takeover

Laidback Luke Talks Kung Fu Takeover Class: "You Can Even Come in Furry Boots!"
    By S. Pajot Tue., Mar. 18 2014 at 9:00 AM

Meet your new sifu.

His name is Laidback Luke. And though he may be most famous as a EDM megastar, this friendly Dutch dude also happens to be a kick-ass kung fu fighter.

At last year's "Olympics of kung fu," as Luke describes the world championships in Hong Kong, he snapped up four gold medals and a silver. "There's like 10,000 competitors," he told Crossfade a few months after his wins. "So it was a dream come true."

And now he's about to realize yet another dream -- teaching ravers to kick, punch, and fist-pump like true martial-arts masters.

As the host of Laidback Luke's Kung Fu Takeover, "a very special lesson led by the gold medalist," the DJ, producer, and world champ will instruct 200 possibly hungover fans ("everybody is welcome!") in qigong, tai chi, punching and kicking, and real kung fu.

"It'll be kind of like DJing, where you must respond to the crowd," Luke suggests. "My own sifu says, 'If you teach a class, you have to cater to your students.' So in this case, I will have to be aware of everyone's level of expertise and how drunk they are," he laughs.

Among his pupils, there will be novices, veterans, and all sorts of other folks. "You can even come in furry boots!" Luke exclaims. "That would actually be nice. Because when we do some kicking training, you won't be able to hurt anybody.

"To me, it's not about how you look," he sagely intones. "It's about how you train."

So throw on some shorts, a spirit hoodie, or whatever's comfortable. Here are the four lessons to be learned at Laidback Luke's Kung Fu Takeover.

Qigong. Need to get your chi under control after a crazy night of raving? Our sifu suggests the ancient Chinese practice of qigong.

"This is one of my little secrets," Luke confesses. "Whenever I am in the middle of a heavy tour and I don't feel the urge to train, because I am just lazy or too tired, it only takes some qigong to get me going.

"I will go into my breathing exercises. And soon, I've fooled myself, and I get the energy to start the workout. So these techniques are almost magic for de-stressing and activating the body.

"Most people could really use some qigong. Because when we hit our mid 20s, and we start working all the time and chasing success, there is a lot of strain. But these breathing exercises help us take control of our being, so we can just stop a moment and enjoy the moment. Or we can find the strength to do some kung fu. Or we can manage to go party for the sixth night in a row!"

Tai chi. Now perhaps you're wondering: Tai chi? Isn't that stuff for old people in public parks? Well, the answer, according to our sifu Laidback Luke, is an emphatic nope.

"Often," he says, "people think martial arts should be really fast. And that's true. But only in the end.

"So, to start, we need to learn the essential movements while going very slowly. We will practice balancing and holding positions and focusing our minds on the direction that we're sending our limbs. That way, when we speed things up, we will be doing everything correctly.

"Tai chi is like slow-motion kung fu," Luke explains. "And it teaches us to gain full control over our bodies."
    Punching and kicking. So listen up, raver -- while we're on the topic of learning to be in command your fists and feet and such -- Luke would like to point out that it's not nice to knock out innocent bystanders, whether you're at the club or a kung-fu class.

"It is a very common mistake for beginners, when they punch or kick, that they don't actually look where they are punching or kicking," he laughs. "And that can be dangerous!

"Similarly, when new kung fu students are trying to defend punches or kicks, they sometimes aren't looking at the opponent. They are looking at the ground or they are looking at the sky.

"In kung fu, we say: 'Train the mind first.' And I say, the eyes too. Because where your eyes go, that's also where your fists and feet will go."

Real kung fu. The final lesson of Laidback Luke's Kung Fu Takeover will naturally be the most important and exciting -- a crash course in the basics of this ancient discipline.

"To end, we will dive into some real kung fu," Luke says. "We will practice some dance-y Shaolin movements and cool low stances and animal techniques, because I have noticed that after certain classes, people will be like, 'Oh, this is it? This is like a karate class or something!'

"But no, styles like karate and tae kwon do are derived from China where it all started with Shaolin monks, but they miss out on the majority of techniques that are taught in the typical kung fu class."

As our sifu insists: "Kung fu is the mother of martial arts." And now, raver, you can be counted among her many children.

Laidback Luke's Kung Fu Takeover. Sponsored by Fontainebleau Miami Beach, Hong Ying, Dancing Astronaut, and Miami New Times. Friday, March 28. Fontainebleau Miami Beach, 4441 Collins Ave., Miami Beach. Class begins at 10 a.m. and ends at noon. Tickets for participants cost $10 plus fees via wantickets.com. Admission is free for spectators. Ages 18 and up. Call 305-538-2000 or visit fontainebleau.com.

There's some vids too, but I didn't watch them...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Laidback Luke coming to SF Bay Area

Shoot, I already got a gig for Memorial Day weekend or I would have tried to connect.

Insomniac back to basics presents Audio on the Bay

Tickets Now On Sale

The Bay Area is going #backtothebasics with a new 3-day show: Audio on the Bay! Come celebrate with us Memorial Day Weekend at The Craneway Pavilion, located right on the waterfront. Audio on the Bay is dedicated to uniting all styles of music, bringing you a truly diverse musical experience! Tickets & line-up out Thursday, March 13th at NOON! #onestageonelove #AUDIOontheBAY

Friday, May 23rd
    Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike
    R3hab
    DVBBS
    Mercer
    Wolfpack
    special guest: Benny Benassi

Saturday, May 24th
    Eric Prydz
    Audien
    Loudpvck
    Alexx Adam
    + more tba
    special guest: Zeds Dead

Sunday, May 25th
    Laidback Luke
    Dyro
    Clockwork
    Henry Fong
    Bare
    Shellboy

The Craneway Pavilion
    1414 Harbour Way S, Richmond, CA
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

dafuq?

San Francisco's international Plum Blossom Kung Fu tournament? How did I miss that?

I've found some reference on Yu Dai Fu on the web (but you can find anything on the web if you look hard enough. Here's more on Laidback Luke here, here, and here. I've tuned into Laidback Luke and I do like his stuff. I hope we can meet someday.

Laidback Luke wins four medals at professional Kung Fu competition
    By Lucy Davidson · @lucylough
    Sep 23 2015

Veteran Dutch DJ and producer Laidback Luke is known around the world for his chart-topping hits and explosive main stage sets. Luke (real name Lucas van Scheppingen) has a less-known but no less impressive talent as well: he is the current world champion in the Kung Fu sub-category Yu Dai Fu. Luke travelled with the three other members of the Dutch national Kung Fu team to San Francisco for the international Plum Blossom Kung Fu tournament.

The competition is well-known for its high caliber of competition, and the team managed to bring home an impressive eleven medals. Luke won four of the eleven- two gold, one silver, and one bronze. About the experience, Luke said

“It was an extremely tough playing field with a lot of close finishes. Very proud of the Hong Ying Kung Fu pro team with a result of 11 medals and I am very motivated to keep working on my skill.”
    Luke has also recently participated in championships in the USA and China. The Dutch team’s coach, Mark Horton, was elated at the recent success as well.

“I was incredibly proud of the guys for the fantastic results even though the level of the competition was very high, especially with the American teams. This is a great indication for the world championships in 2016.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shermanology

Soundcloud tracks are available if you follow the link.

Shermanology On Their 'Philosophy,' Second EP, Martial Arts, More [Interview]
    by Ryan Middleton Oct 13, 2015 12:38 PM EDT

Shermanology (Photo : Courtesy Of Shermanology)

Holland is known as one of the powerhouses for dance music. Whether you have the titans like Armin van Buuren, Laidback Luke, Sander Kleinenberg, Joris Voorn Tiësto or Hardwell, talent is everywhere in the small Northern European country. That is not is not just reserved for those who stands behind soem CDJs and make beats, there are those who also write songs and sing them, in addition to making tracks and performing them live. This is where the exciting group Shermanology step into the fold. Strictly a family affair, brother and sister pairing Andy & Dorothy Sherman, have collaborated with the likes of Avicii, Afrojack, Fedde le Grand and Martin Garrix, but are now entering a new chapter in their career, leaving the main room behind for a more soulful sound closer to their hearts and roots.

Their father was Tony Sherman, who was part of the 70s funk band the Sherman Brothers, which had a major impact on Andy and Dorothy's youth and their decision to get into music. A process a year and a half in the making, Shermanology released their Philosophy EP. Coming in at five tracks, it was a much more personal affair from the pair, devoid of collaborations and felt more honest as they dove into a sound where they felt more at home.

We had a chance tp catch up with both Andy & Dorothy after the release of the EP to discuss their Philosophy on dance music, forthcoming music that includes a secodn EP and some collabs with MNEK and past jobs and talents like Pencak Silat. Stream the EP below and purchase it on iTunes.

MT You guys started as MCs and singers, was it tough transitioning to being DJs too?

Andy: In the beginning it was because most DJs, not all of them looked at us as singers not DJs and thought we should keep it separate. But I had already been DJing for years at my friend's house with vinyl. So when I had to get to know the CD players, it was quite an easy switch. In the beginning, we were lucky we had support from all of the promoters in Holland. So that made the step easier.

MT: What is tough to being producers too?

Andy: I was already making music even in the MC and singing time. But when I found out I really wanted to DJ, I picked it up more seriously. From a very early age, Dorothy and I were writing toplines on top of existing r&b songs.

Dorothy: The first song we wrote was with Fedde Le Grand and they took the song right away. That was when we knew this might work.

MT: What is the Philosophy of your new EP?

Andy: As long as it feels good.

Dorothy: In the past we would make a song, but didn't really like it. However they would release it anyway. Now we are never going to do something that isn't good for us. Maybe it will be good for somebody else, but if it doesn't feel good for us, then we won't do it.

Andy: In the past all the songs like "Can't Stop Me" and "Blessed" were ones that we really believed in, but because we made all of those songs with different artists, we never really got to brand the songs like we wanted music-wise and vocally. It always had a touch from a different producer and that's why with this EP, we said let's do what we feel music-wise. That's why it feels 100 percent Shermanology compared to tracks before.

MT: When did you decide this was the direction you wanted to take with your music?

Dorothy: I think about a year and a half ago. We just decided to press the reset button and build a whole new team around us. Once we decided to make the music we wanted to make, that's when we booked a flight to New York and hooked some very good writers.

Andy: After a certain point, we would come back from gigs in Holland or somewhere abroad. We would come back with a bit of an unsatisfied feeling. At one point I was playing music to please the crowd instead of playing the songs that we really want to play. That's when your heart and your mind start to conflict. It just didn't feel right anymore so we hit reset.

Dorothy: If you aren't having as much fun anymore, then you need to change what you are doing to make sure you are having fun.

MT: This EP has five songs. Why did you choose these five and were there more you could have added?

Andy: We could have done an album.

MT: Why didn't you do an album?

Andy: We decided we had some collabs on there and we have some ballads as well. Instead of doing an album where it might confuse people even more from where we came from, we picked the five songs that were in between the club and downtempo style we want to do as well. We said "let's do it one step at a time" and not put too many collabs on there. We had to kill our darlings. However for our second EP we have a lot new songs ready. We are going to be able to put more variety on the EP like ballads and club tracks.

We are working on it [the second EP] now. We have half of the songs done now. The next few months are going to be a lot of traveling and doing a lot of songwriting for the second one.

MT: How the song with Pep & Rash come about?

Andy: Every year we have a writing camp with our publisher at Spinnin' Records. We got into a session with Pep & Resh. There was a really good connection even in a friend level. We had a really good connection, started the first track at that session and then went to their studio to finish the song. Their studio is about two hours away from Amsterdam and it was more of a friend kind of thing. That was when "Sugar" was made.

MT: In one interview you said, vocals should lift you up. What about the times when life is difficult and filled with hardships?

Dorothy: Yeah of course. I believe that every type of emotion that people have, if I take myself as an example, every type of emotion that I feel, you can put it into your music. If you feel sad, you probably listen to sad songs. If you want to make dance music, it should be songs that make you feel good. If we want to make a love ballad or a sad ballad then we will. If it needs to be something you want to dance to, then it is something that feels good.

Andy: I think the context that I said that was for the dance floor. It isn't like we don't want to make emotional songs, but they usually don't make the cut when you want to make dance music.

MT: What else do you have coming up?

Dorothy: We just made the music video for "Sweet Surrender" last week. We are waiting on it to be finished.

Andy: Next week we have the video for "Sugar." We have to go back to London soon because the last session we did there with a guy MNEK. We did a couple of tracks with him and I hope two will make the next EP. There is this other girl called Rafaela that we did some sessions with as well. I think the second EP is going to have a lot of UK influences - a lot of bass lines. I used to live in London and there was this UK garage group called Artful Dodger where I was the front singer for two years. Now that I am doing this kind of music, it helps that I lived there for a little while. We are just reviving all of the old influences we had with the first EP.

MT: What is something people might not know about you?

Andy: Dorothy started in Merengue and salsa bands when she was 14 or 15. I used to work at Pizza Hut and she was making 10 times what I was making. But I wasn't mad.

Dorothy: I just decided when I was 13, if I had to have a summer job, even though I did some waitress work and hated it; I was just going to sing.

Andy: I still know how to make one hell of a pizza.

Dorothy: Andy was a Dutch martial arts champion of Pencak Silat.

MT: Can you still do it?

Dorothy: We both can. We both did it, but he did all of the bouts.

Andy: If I get myself in trouble I am the black Bruce Lee.

MT: Who would win in a fight, you or Laidback Luke?

Andy: Oh no, you don't want to fight Laidback Luke. The problem is that he is still doing everyday. So I would run really fast. You know who you have watch out for as well? Fedde le Grand. He is a black belt in Pencak Silat. He is not to mess with.

MT: That is how you deal with unruly people in the booth...

Andy: Once we had a streaker on stage. That was funny.

Dorothy: It was at Amnesia in Ibiza. They wanted to take him out, but I told them to let him dance. He wanted to be up here naked, so let him do his thing. It was funny.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kung Fu Chaos | Laidback Luke VLOG #058

Here's more on Laidback Luke here, here, here, and here
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Laidback Luke deserves his own indie thread here now

I poached all the posts above off our Kung Fu Music thread.

LAIDBACK LUKE IS COMPETING IN KUNG FU WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS IN MARCH
    The Dutch DJ/producer competes in six categories…

Laidback Luke is competing in the Kung Fu World Championship in Hong Kong from Friday 17th to Sunday 19th March.

The Dutch DJ/producer will compete in three tai chi and three kung fu categories including Straight-Sword, Fan and Bo-Staff.

Laidback Luke, real name Lucas van Scheppingen, has been competing at the top level in kung fu for many years, winning multiple medals including four golds and a silver at the 2013 Championship.

Scheppingen also compared EDM to McDonald's and techno to prime steak in a recent interview.

(Photo: Ruud Baan)

Rob McCallum is DJ Mag’s deputy digital editor.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More coverage

LAIDBACK LUKE WILL COMPETE IN THE KUNG FU WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP THIS MARCH
    Feb 1, 2017

If you didn’t think Laidback Luke could get any more talented, think again. The Dutch DJ/Producer is competing the in Kung Fu World Championship in Hong Kong this March.

He will compete in six categories of kung fu and tai chi style martial arts.

Laidback Luke, real name Lucas van Scheppingen, has been a Kung Fu champion for some years now. In 2013 he helped the Dutch national team take home 11 medals. Of the medals won, Scheppingen brought home two gold, one silver and one bronze for himself.

So not only can he throw down a sick track, but he can literally thow a punch. Good luck to you, Laidback Luke!

LAIDBACK LUKE TO COMPETE IN KUNG FU WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
    BY PIA TALWAR
    01 FEB 2017

Not only is he a superhero DJ, but Laidback Luke also enjoys practicing martial arts – and he’s pretty good at it, too.

If you didn’t already know, Laidback Luke has been competing at top level Kung Fu competitions for years, winning multiple medals at championships across the world. It’s all part of his commitment to a healthy lifestyle, and it keeps him in top condition when faced with the rigors of his touring schedule.

Now, Lucas van Scheppingen will compete in the Kung Fu World Championship in Hong Kong from March 17 to 19. He will participate in Tai Chi and Kung Fu: Straight-Sword, Fan and Bo-Staff, showing his versatility across both disciplines. Together with dominating the world of dance music, Lucas once again sets his sights on this competition. He will participate as part of the Hong Ying International Pro-Team, and will travel with his coach Mark.

At the 2013 Championship, Lucas won an impressive haul of medals:

Gold: Two Man Kung Fu set
    Gold: Kung Fu Staff Form
    Gold: Kung Fu Broadsword Form
    Gold: Kung Fu Hand Form
    Silver: Kung Fu Animal Form

Lucas is honored to be a part of this world-famous, prestigious tournament once again in which over 10,000 people take part from across the globe. Good luck to our favorite superhero!
    I'm guessing it's this championship he's going to - Anyone here going?
    The 15th Hong Kong International Wushu Championship

During March 17 to 19, 2017 (February 20 to 22 in lunar calendar), the 15th “One Trip Cup” Hong Kong Wushu International Championship Celebrating 15th Anniversary will be held in Hong Kong, the beautiful Pearl of the Orient.
    The next year is worth celebrating by the Wushu circles in Hong Kong, because it will be the 15th anniversary of Hong Kong Wushu International Championship and the 30th anniversary of the establishment of Wushu Federation. The Wushu circles in Hong Kong have achieved fast development during these years, and One Heart One Mind One Road One Trip will be the slogan of the 15th Hong Kong Wushu International Championship. More colleagues all around the world are expected to participate in and develop the Wush cause.
    For the purpose of thanking the “fellow travelers” who have been supported us for these years, the referees 15 years ago will be invited to this event and take a group photo to mark the occasion. In the meantime, the “Ziliang Cup” Excellent Coach and Civil and Martial Athlete Election of Hong Kong Wushu International Championship Celebrating 15th Anniversary will be held in order to cultivate more social activists in Wushu. In addition, the Calligraphy and Painting Artwork Contest Celebrating 15th Anniversary, the King of Free Combat Championship Celebrating 15th Anniversary, the Award Ceremony of Training Base of Wushu Festival and other activities will also be held. Furthermore, the meeting fees for self-service traveling will be cancelled so as to reduce the burden of participants. It is expected to transit the previous Ten Thousands Event to a boutique and high quality event.
    In the 15th “One Trip Cup” Hong Kong Wushu International Championship Celebrating 15th Anniversary, we prepare awards worth 1 million yuan for athletes participating; 100 Thousand Cash Award is set for athletes winning the first, second, and third prize in “King of Kings Micro Wushu” contest; besides, we have multiple awards such as Individual All-Round Champion and Parent-child award, and many activities such as Juvenile Wushu Elites Compare and Assessment in WeChat Celebrating 15th Anniversary, Million Pure Golden Weapons Opening Ceremony and Wushu Star Meet-and-Greet, and etc.
    We cordially invite friends in Wushu circles to attend this grand occasion and your participation will be welcome in the 15th “One Trip Cup” Hong Kong Wushu International Championship Celebrating 15th Anniversary. In consideration of the event quality and in order to prepare in advance, all participants signing up before 1st September will be presented with 200 Yuan voucher of Xiezhi costume.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

early-afternoon orgies spent in Jacuzzis with a gaggle of supermodels?

...Dang, I've been working the wrong EDM shows...

Laidback Luke Is Serious About Kung Fu
    FRIDAY, MARCH 24, 2017 AT 10:11 A.M. BY ANGEL MELENDEZ

Courtesy of Quinn PR

Martial arts is the sort of hobby world-famous DJs might dabble in because they can. Maybe it's just a narcissistic exercise in looking cool, tucked in between fist-pumping all-night ragers and early-afternoon orgies spent in Jacuzzis with a gaggle of supermodels.

Unless that world-famous DJ is Laidback Luke, who is, long story short, a certified badass.

Not only is the Dutch producer serious about martial arts, kung fu specifically, he is also legitimately dedicated to the craft to the point that just prior to landing in Miami for his set at Ultra Music Festival this Saturday, Luke was in China winning six medals at the world championships — three gold, two silver, and one bronze. No big deal.

His fans already know about Luke's primary interest away from the decks, but this past Thursday morning, a couple dozen devotees found out firsthand how serious he really is.

At a unique Miami Music Week event, 20-odd people joined the musician on the rooftop basketball and tennis courts of the W South Beach to learn basic moves and principles of kung fu from Luke.

Courtesy of Quinn PR

He has a busy few days ahead — an all-day gig and the Mixmash pool party at Nikki Beach to start — but Laidback Luke, true to his name, was the center of calm. Polite and soft-spoken, he explained this wasn't the first time he’d connected with fans in such a way. "It's something I really enjoy. The fit life is so beneficial for me, not only physically but mentally, and it's something I love sharing with people."

Luke did karate throughout his childhood before delving into the world of making music. He quit just before his black-belt exam. Kung fu didn't become a part of life for another ten years. Then he decided it was time to get into shape again. At the suggestion of a singer he was collaborating with at the time, he visited one of the top kung fu schools in his native Netherlands and was hooked.

It remains to be seen whether the rookies at this lesson will be similarly drawn to the sport.

Beginning with a lengthy series of stretching exercises that put the small crowd on alert of how real **** was about to get, Luke put the group of mostly beginners through some grueling paces. The beauty of an absolutely gorgeous and sunny day faded into the background as the collective focused on not falling on their asses (a few failed in that struggle). From slow-motion pushups to splits to a Shaolin version of burpees and plenty of punching and kicking, he asked a lot of his new students.

Not that Luke would agree with that sentiment. "I kind of actually [took it easy on them]; we just did the basics," he says with a chuckle.

Courtesy of Quinn PR

Throughout the learning session, Luke smiled. He teased the crowd by telling them, “This is only the beginning,” before adding, “I’m going real Shaolin on your asses.” He's incredibly fit and limber. For example, the promo poster for the event features him in a Liu Kang Mortal Kombat kick pose that, aside from some digital flames, features no Photoshop editing.

Just off to the front and side were tables set up with small piles of Laidback Luke-branded gear, including wristbands and T-shirts. Green apples, ice water, towels, and coconut water in actual coconuts sitting in ice baths all sat on a separate table, tantalizingly close.

But not yet.

First there were flying roundhouses to master and strangers partnering up to lift each other, back-to-back, arms interlocked. This was a proper workout, regardless of what the kung fu gold medalist and Beatport chart-topper says. Nearly everyone in attendance was really trying. Inspired by Luke’s charm and good humor, they all had fun. The laughter ringing through the dripping beads of sweat was a testament to that. Despite the fact that some of the participants looked like stumbling extras in a horror-movie zombie horde — and more than a few will be limited in their dancing at Ultra thanks to sore hamstrings — not a single soul left dissatisfied.

Courtesy of Quinn PR

Afterward, Luke compared teaching kung fu to DJing. "It's very similar. You watch the crowd and see what they're up to. Are they tired? Are they happy? Are they losing focus? And then you switch it up. It's the same thing I do when playing a set."

Such attention to detail and gauging of the human spirit is the ultimate determining factor when it comes to both the success of his live shows and his pop-up kung fu classes.

It also doesn’t hurt that Luke approaches life humbly. "I am just like you. It's nice to talk about my achievements, but I hope this helps people realize the potential everyone has in them and that you're actually born into this world and allowed to do whatever you want."

Angel Melendez
    Angel Melendez is an unabashed geek and a massive music nerd who happens to write words (and occasionally take photos) for Miami New Times. A graduate of Florida Atlantic University and an accomplished failure at two other universities, Angel is a lush and an insufferable know-it-all, and has way better taste in music than you. His wealth of useless knowledge concerning bands, film, and Batman is matched only by his embarrassingly large collection of Hawaiian shirts and onesies.
    Man, I really hope to interview Laidback Luke someday.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Laidback Luke did well

Still want to meet this DJ. He just keeps getting more and more intriguing...

LAIDBACK LUKE EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: WE COVER KUNG-FU, MIXMASH, ULTRA & MORE
    BY CAROLINE O'KEEFE APRIL 19, 20170

Miami Music Week 2017 was yet another unforgettable adventure for Lucas Cornelis van Scheppingen, better known by his stage name Laidback Luke. The famed Dutch DJ/producer landed in sunny Florida after spending much time in the bitter winter weather of New York.

Just days before flying to Miami, Luke participated, (and scored big) in the Kung-Fu World Championship in Hong Kong. Dominating the force with three Gold medals, two Silver and one Bronze, he shows undeniable talent and skill in his art. Not content with just mastering the field of producing, Luke has excelled in becoming a Kung-Fu world champion as well.

Photo: Rukes

Although he shines in more areas than one, Laidback Luke is most known for his incredible additions to the dance music community. Included in Luke’s extensive repertoire of collaborations are tracks with the likes of David Guetta, Steve Angello, Sebastian Ingrosso, Axwell, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike, Martin Solveig, and GTA among many others. Producing music for close to three decades, he has seen tremendous amounts of success and possesses an outstanding amount of knowledge, making him a key player in the genre and expansion of electronic music.

Thursday morning before sitting down with The Nocturnal Times, Laidback Luke taught a special Kung-Fu class at South Beach’s W Hotel. A unique opportunity for his fans to participate in a workshop showcasing his love for martial arts, the class gave a totally new spin on the man behind the booth.

Read all about what went down at The W, plans for Miami, the Kung-Fu World Championship, upcoming releases on Dim Mak, and more in our Nocturnal Times exclusive interview with Laidback Luke.

The Nocturnal Times: How does it feel to be back in Miami for Ultra and Miami Music Week?

Laidback Luke: I am loving it! A lot of my time I spend in New York, and the New York winters are brutal. I just came back from the world championships in Kung-Fu, but my training for that was five months outside in the snow and in the freezing weather of New York, so I am really done with it. Miami feels amazing right now.

The Nocturnal Times: Do you get to stay in Miami past this week at all?

Laidback Luke: I would love to but, no. I am actually right back to Amsterdam, and then back to New York again.

The Nocturnal Times: Tell us what you’ve got in store for this week in Miami.

Laidback Luke: Actually today we started the day with my Kung-Fu class, which we just invited a bunch of my followers for. It was free and we started the day great, with a great training. Today I have my Mixmash Pool Party at Nikki Beach. And then on Saturday I have Ultra Music Festival.

Laidback Luke, Diplo, and Steve Aoki at the Mixmash Pool Party at Nikki Beach: Via Laidback Luke’s Facebook page.

The Nocturnal Times: How did your Kung-Fu class go this morning?

Laidback Luke: Really good! So I was surprised because it was at 10 am. I was surprised to see people up, to not see people drunk, to see people put as much effort in as they could, and it’s just such a great start of the day to start with a good work out.

The Nocturnal Times: Do you typically start your days with a workout like that? Practicing Kung-Fu?

Laidback Luke: I actually do, yeah. The first thing I do when I wake up is either go to the gym or practice my Kung-Fu. It just sets you up for the rest of the day, and then the rest of the day feels so easy, really.

The Nocturnal Times: How did it feel to teach a class knowing that it’s for a room full of your fans? Knowing that they are there because they appreciate your music but also this other art of Kung-Fu that is so important in your life?

Laidback Luke: It’s nothing but love and it’s great. Realizing like you say, that these people are my followers, I get a little bit loose on the mic as well and start cracking jokes and it’s great. The funny thing is working a crowd like that in a work out is similar to working a crowd when I play a DJ set. During the class I will monitor their energy levels and see if they are distracted or if they need a new exercise. Do I need to amp it up or do I need to tone it down. It’s actually very similar to how I DJ. You’ve got to feel the vibes.

The Nocturnal Times: Congratulations on winning six medals at the Kung-Fu World Championship. What does that mean to you and your family? As far as being both a world champion in Kung-Fu and a world-famous DJ/Ppoducer?

Laidback Luke: The funny thing is it’s great, but actually I don’t really care as well. It’s like winning awards and stuff like that. Winning awards and stuff is great but it doesn’t actually add up to the art. You’re either that or you’re not. And if you’re not and you get that award then you’re still not. Do you get what I’m saying? To actually be that, you’ve gotta be that. And that’s it. I try my best to be that, and it’s great. What does help with those kind of things is that I’m able to inspire people and reach a lot of people, and I’ll have proof of you know, “I competed on a high level, and I can do this.” With the DJ’ing as well, which brings me to a funny thing. I tweeted about that once. I was looking at some of my YouTube comments about my tutorials and there’s 15 year-old kids talking a lot of crap about the tips and advice I try and give. And you know what’s funny is it’s kind of like when you’re in high school and you’re doing football, and say your football coach was in the major league for a decade or whatever, and then he is giving you the training and the tips and you as a 15 year-old rookie, you’ll go and put him in doubt and say, “Oh, what does he know.” So that’s a funny thing that occurs in the DJ scene where I have so much experience and I just want to share it, and then there’s kids who think they know it better. And it’s funny. I don’t need to prove myself, and sometimes it’s a shame that they block themselves from learning like that.

Photo: After winning six medals via Laidback Luke Facebook.

The Nocturnal Times: What inspired you to start producing music in the first place? What was that first, “This is my calling” type of moment for you?

Laidback Luke: So my job is really old. So this is about 25 years ago I started making music, and I come from a musical family. On both sides of my family there are a lot of musicians and everyone is awesome with an instrument, but I was this kid that always had trouble trying to play the instrument. And I got laughed at. My Dad would say, “Oh, there’s no trying to do this.” My brother is a really good drummer, and he can drum like an octopus. And whenever I would try and drum a beat, I would always get off beat, and everyone would be like, “Aw, there’s Luke again.” So in 1992 when I found out that you were actually able to make music with some of the first home computers, I was amazed. I could finally unleash all this music that was stuck in my head, but didn’t have the ability to actually play. That was my drive to go and pursue this. The musical talent is in me in terms of how I’m able to hear it, but to actually play it, that’s very tough.

The Nocturnal Times: What can we expect in the near future for your music career, or even Kung-Fu?

Laidback Luke: So I have my new single coming up which is called “Paradise,” which I made with Bright Lights and Made in June. It’s not made in June but the artist is Made in June – but she’s made in June (laughs). But it’s going to be released on Dim Mak in about two weeks, and I’m quite excited about that! The cool thing about signing to Steve Aoki’s label is that he’s promoting it as well, which is a great bonus.

Listen to “Paradise” with Made In June feat. Bright Lights:

The Nocturnal Times: How do you like working with Steve?

Laidback Luke: Well Steve and I have had a long relationship. We’re basically friends although we never really get to see each other. But it’s really nice to put out a track on his label and get their support.

The Nocturnal Times: Well thank you so much for coming out to speak with us, and best of luck on your week here!

Laidback Luke: Thanks for having me!

Caroline O'Keefe

Caroline is an avid electronic music enthusiast. Born and raised in the Boston area, Caroline relocated to New York and then again to Florida to complete her Bachelors Degree in Social Entrepreneurship & Business. First attending Wagner College in Staten Island, she transferred to Rollins College in Orlando. Her passion for EDM and music festivals has taken her up and down the East coast, and inspired her to pursue her dreams within the industry. Electronic music truly has been a blessing in her life, and landed her on a path she is sure is her life calling.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another interview

Good for LL.

Why I Love Kung Fu: DJ Laidback Luke
    INTERVIEWS
    The international DJ on the mental and physical benefits of martial arts
    NICK HARRIS-FRY 8 JUN 2017

The next time you’re tempted to complain about not having the time to fit in any exercise around your working day, consider the example of Laidback Luke. In between jetting around the world to DJ, he not only finds the time to regularly train in kung fu, but does so to a high enough standard to compete and win at world championships.

laidbackluke Verified Maon Shan Sports Center
    Follow

8,636 likes
    200 comments
    Here's the World Championships result! 3 Gold, 2 Silver and 1 Bronze. Special thanks to my Sifu @hongyingsifu for bringing me out to this again! #kungfu #taichi #ChoyLiFut #TraditionalYangStyle #HongYingAssociation #PlumBlossomFederation #LaidbackLukeFit
    MARCH 19
    We spoke to the Dutch DJ about his love of the martial art and how it helps him keep in top physical and mental shape.

How did you get into kung fu?

I always did martial arts when I was a kid, mostly karate. But around the age of 14, puberty kicked in and I focused more on girls. I started making music as well, so I left the whole martial arts thing behind for ten years.

I wanted to get back into shape, but I didn’t want to just go to the gym and work on my muscles – as a kid doing karate I secretly wanted to do kung fu. I was working with this singer who said she knew a great kung fu school in the south of the Netherlands. I went to have a look and I never left.

When did you start getting more serious with it?

Seven years ago my teacher started to travel with me. I wasn’t doing kung fu that much and I wasn’t passionate about it. He told me if I took my kung fu to another level I would be able to deal with the schedules and stress that comes with being a DJ much better. I was always running up against burn-out and I noticed that the benefits of doing kung fu were immense.

So it helps you mentally as well as physically?

Absolutely. Coping with stress, coping with a lack of sleep and even handling my schedule. We use an old Shaolin method for that. It’s called “Looking through 13 windows”. If you have a day coming up with a very busy schedule you picture the day in advance. You go through every situation and scenario that could arise. Then whenever the day arrives – and it doesn’t even matter if it’s completely different than how you imagined – you already kind of went through it, so you’re much better able to handle it than coming in on a blank.

What other sports have you done in the past and what was it about kung fu that made it special?

I did a bit of MMA, a bit of Thai boxing, and as kid I had my karate roots. I feel that kung fu is the mother of all martial arts. All the martial arts stemming from the countries around China took a part of kung fu and made it their own martial art. Everything can be traced back to kung fu.

What’s the toughest thing about it?

It’s such a big system, you can easily compare it to a university degree. It’s so gigantic and being able to memorise it all and keep it memorised is very tough.

How would you recommend beginners get into it? You definitely need a teacher, right?

Absolutely. When you’re interested in kung fu it’s important to trace who is the teacher of the teacher, and the teacher of the teacher of the teacher, and even who was their teacher! We have a very prestigious lineage of masters and grand masters stemming from China who passed this system along.

It’s very important, because you can only become as good as your teacher. If your teacher is essentially crappy or just decided to teach because he thought he was good enough then you might end up being terribly disappointed after five or eight years. You’ll be stuck in a system that doesn’t do it for you.

I’ve been training with my teacher for 17 years and he’ll still give me something new every day. And he’s been training with our grand master for about 30 years now. It’s endless.

Have you ever fallen out of love with kung fu? What made you come back?

I did. I had a period of about five years when I would only train once a month. This was due to my international breakthrough as a DJ. I know the struggle of not being able to combine doing a sport to a high level with a career, because I was once there as well. Luckily my teacher showed me that it’s absolutely possible to do so and when it clicked with me I never let it go again.

Do you think you’ll ever give up DJing for kung fu, or vice versa?

There hasn’t been a DJ that’s really retired yet! Carl Cox announced it a couple of times but he’s still DJing. And our great grand masters in kung fu taught until they were 90. I want to do that, too. At a certain point it will become funny to see me behind the decks as a 60-year-old man, whereas in kung fu I’ll look cooler and cooler!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Laidback Luke is legit

I met him last Friday. We had a great interview. He is indeed a very serious Kung Fu practitioner, and refreshingly humble for a star DJ. The interview will be published soon. Until then, check out this profile Business Insider did on him: The insane jetsetting life of multimillionaire DJ, kung fu world champion, and influential vlogger Laidback Luke. It's got too many instagram pics (bothersome to cut&paste here) or I'd copy it here.

From our FB photo album:

laidbackluke
    Verified
    LAX - Los Angeles International Airport

Comment
    2,195 likes
    laidbackluke Thanks to @kungfumag and @sifukuttel for the interview and the shirt! Photo by @ashleynoel_xo
    Still haven't seen his show though. Next time...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Boo!

I was just at BOO! in SF, volunteering for Rock Med. But Laidback Luke wasn't headlining - it was Zeds Dead.

Exclusive Interview With Laidback Luke at BOO!

by ONEEDMONEEDM
    October 24, 2017, 12:31 pm
    Spread the love

Photography by Angelo Graciano

Laidback Luke is a veteran of the industry brings fire to the stage every time he performs. BOO! Arizona 2017 proved to be no exception as the crowd went crazy during the set. For an overall bass heavy night, Laidback Luke gave the crowd a something that was unique to the night. The set’s light show really set him apart from the other sets of the night. All in all, it’s no surprise that his name is argued for the best at BOO! Arizona 2017 and we have come to expect nothing less from this superstar. We sat down with him and he is incredibly humble and full of wise insight to the world.

Q- You do a lot of martial arts and stuff as well, beyond producing and DJing. How do you get your mind clear, not even just between shows, just in general, in life?

I’ve done a lot of meditation in the past, but it felt so good that I had to quit it because I didn’t wanna go back into like real life situations. So, I’ve done that, but the truth is stress is as big as you want to make it. Stress is all inside of your own brain, so a lot of things are not as intense as you would like to make it. A lot of things you can actually control, even things that are going to surprise you.

So, in my kung-fu we have this thing we call looking “through 13 windows,” which means if you are going to start a day or week that is very stressful, that’s very packed, you can already anticipate a whole lot of things coming. You can be like: “Okay so on Tuesday I need to do this, this, this, and this. And I’m going to encounter that, and those type of people.” And then when it really happens you’re ready for it; mentally prepared.

Q- How do you think music is going to impact your family as you grow older? Do you plan to pass this down to your children?

Good question. My daughter is very musically gifted, but I have this theory that it will always skip a generation. So, my kids don’t really care about music. Think about your own parents; even if your dad was an astronaut, you’d be like: “that just my dad doing his thing you know?” So, for my kids, I’m their dad doing the DJ thing, and their like yeah whatever we grew up with it. But you will always see it skips a generation, but perhaps their kids will want to be involved with music.

Q- Have you ever had an embarrassing moment when you’ve been starstruck by somebody who a super big name, since your name, Laidback Luke is one of the most well-known names in EDM?

For sure! There is this Dutch K1 fighter, K1 is a big kickboxing league I used to watch all the time on Dutch television. And I saw him once at the airport, and he’s a big guy, like 6’5 and I recognized him. His name is Remy Bonjasky. I was like: “oh Mr. Bonjasky, Mr. Bonjasky can I have a picture please?” and he was really cool, a real gentleman. So, you know with shaky hands, I took out my iPhone and I tried to snap a picture. And I said thank you so much, and he strutted on because he had to catch his flight. I looked at my phone and I missed the button.

Q- So you like completely missed the picture?

Yes! I missed the picture! And there I was with my shaky hands! So, whenever people come up to me and they have like shaky hands I’ll often just grab the phone and take the picture because I know exactly how they feel.

Q- Since it’s getting close to Halloween let’s start going into a theme. Whats your favorite scary movie?

Oh, I’m really bad with scary movies. Fun fact! I hate scary movies. I really get scared. Like a little girl! I will pee my pants watching anything that has to do with the paranormal. So, I wouldn’t even know how to- well okay so when I was- wow I’m really old- When I was a kid I used to watch Nightmare on Elm Street so that would probably be my favorite because I didn’t see anything else.

Q- Well, you’re not really old, but you’ve had some time to think of some Halloween costumes. What do you think is the best Halloween costume that you’ve ever had.

Well, I grew up in the Netherlands, so we don’t really have Halloween. So, ever since I started DJing in America and starting a family here I noticed what that’s about. I never really dove into it. I think I did have a Super You And Me party during Halloween where I had a makeup artist come in and paint my face like Two-Face from Batman for Halloween.

Q- What other events is the star Laidback Luke playing?

I’m doing my Super You And Me run across Vegas, San Diego, San Francisco that is going to be really big. My girlfriend and I are going to have matching costumes. I’m very excited for it.

Q- Who are some of your favorite people who you have collaborated with people who you have collaborated with?

I really enjoyed working with Diplo. I enjoyed working with Steve Aioki. Devid Guetta, I made a lot of tracks with, which was fun as well. I once tried to make a track with Derro, and that guy blew me away! He’s one of the most talented producers in the world. But, we never got to finish the track. I basically ended up testing him out to see what his capabilities were. [Like] Okay, you do this and that, and you make cord structures like that, and melody changes like that. And he could do everything and more.

Q- If you could name some artists outside of the EDM genre to collaborate with who would you name? Like R&B maybe Rap, Rock, and Roll.

Still one of my all-time favorites is Justin Timberlake. I would love to collaborate with him.

Q- What are you most excited for, for the rest of 2017?

There is going to be a new track I’m going to be releasing with our youngest talent of Mixmash records, Mark Villa, I’m going to do a collaboration. And currently, I’m working on an album full of collaborations.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tune in, turn on, drop the bass.

Read Laidback Luke A Kung Fu DJ by Brian Kuttel in our March+April 2018 issue.

We'll have an exclusive web extra - my interview with Laidback Luke - coming soon.

Thread: Laidback Luke - Kung Fu EDM DJ
    Thread: March+April 2018
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our newest exclusive web article

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips