Thread: wing chun/internal practitioner morphology

wing chun/internal practitioner morphology

is it me or many wing chun practitioners/hard core internal guys have very similar body shapes? like thin neck, balding, hunched back and vacant eyes.

I am saying this because today I met some guy new to kickboxing class, he has all the traits, we do light shoulder tap drills and he tries to hard chain punching by surprise, after a few times of that I jab his shoulder until he cannot raise it. then we do light body tap drills. he tries to use shock power to my belly and I had to elbow his fist. I ask him if he train kung fu he say no. but I sensed wing chun. if I was younger years I would be nice guy and try to just defend myself, then they accidentally hurt me and act smug. one guy blogged about it. but today I immediately destroy for my safety.

throughout my 10 yr of martial art hobby lobby journey I would meet these guys, they would ask for light sparring or drills and go hard on you, when you get annoyed and finally go hard back they ask to stop. however as I get older my patience become shorter.

does anyone else notice this phenomenon
    Last edited by bawang; 02-08-2017 at 09:35 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    How much force should be used in sparring can be a serious issue. It's a major concern for all "striking art". This is why a good "body control" sometime can work better than punch or kick. You control your opponent's body, when he can't get out and taps, you stop, the sparring can end right there.

Good body control can be:

- head lock,
    - throat choke,
    - bear hug,
    - elbow lock,
    - shoulder lock,
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

There's plenty of people who want to do harm to lift their own ego.
    The people that are really ego driven don't do this kind of training on the level.
    They're scummy that way. So yeah, can that quickly and if they wanna hang and play they can.
    If they can't bully, they leave. Let them. Their attitudes are worthless and will provide no one, including themselves with anything of any value.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Yes, Bawang. I have noticed this. Generally, MMA guys spar much lighter than a lot of traditional guys.
    I think you are right to have less patience, because you avoid injury that way.
    For me, as a coach who teaches both Traditional Kung Fu and MMA, it is not so easy- because I don't
    want to hurt my students.
    Theory: Kung Fu guys coming to spar in MMA gym are possibly more nervous, because they have more to lose-
    i.e. years of training that they don't want to feel is not useful. Most people who spar hard are nervous.
    My favourite students to spar with are the MMA champions who I coach- they are expecting to get hit, don't go all crazy,
    stay calm, and the sparring doesn't 'escalate' into a fight.
    We save the ferocious power for the focus mitts/thai pads and save injury and head trauma!
    Another thing that occurs to me is that if you buy into the 'deadly technique' delusion, then you would be scared to spar,
    because getting 'tagged' represents some horrible injury in your mind. So either you 'cannot get hit under any circumstances'-
    which would result in tense, nervous reactions, or you let go of the idea that strikes cause terrible injury- which would result in
    having to seriously reconsider your kung fu practise.
    I personally think that if people did a few months of sparring (Grappling and striking) before learning forms, not only would
    they be able to use their Kung Fu effectively, they would actually do the forms better as well.
    As for the type of person you are referring to (Body type/traits) I see that fairly often and alarm bells always go off in my mind.
    The vacant eyes/hunched back, then going crazy in sparring- usually resulting the MMA guy resorting to some 'body control'
    (as Youknowwho suggested) then the internal guy hurting his own neck trying to muscle out of a guillotine and never coming back...

I've had some people do dirty tricks like that on me. Eventually, it got to where if it was someone I didn't know and they asked for light and easy sparring, I'd say, "I'll hit you as hard as you hit me. How's that?"

...I will add that, unfortunately, I've noticed those types of passive-aggressive individuals seem more common in CMA than in other types of MA (JMA, KMA, FMA, American hybrid MA, etc.). And more common from some CMA styles than others. Many seem to be really insecure, frustrated people, while others are a few fries short of a Happy Meal. It would seem that, in general, an environment that emphasizes pressure testing and conditioning, even if not full-contact all the time, would generally discourage those types from participating for very long, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    There's plenty of people who want to do harm to lift their own ego.
    The people that are really ego driven don't do this kind of training on the level.
    They're scummy that way. So yeah, can that quickly and if they wanna hang and play they can.
    If they can't bully, they leave. Let them. Their attitudes are worthless and will provide no one, including themselves with anything of any value.
    yeah but the anooying part is when they cant seriously hurt u but they keep trying to, u know wat i mean? and u be nic guy then they finally get one in and feel all smug and proud of themselves. thats what triggers me. when i was 17 it happen one time and i was so mad i couldnt sleep u know? i put my trust in them u know, i thot we would have automatic connection understanding thru share interest chinese culture.sh1t man eye pokes throat pokes back of head punch, spine punch, leg break, all these been tried on me when i was in college. i was really hurt emotionally man. its like a low grade sociopath trying to get some power dominance thing except they wouldnt survive real physical sports. i dont think they feel any sort of shame over this. for real, kung fu is like totally out of mainstream, these ppl were actively looking for this type of sh1t.

when i do hobby lobby kung fu time and encounter them i usually did the forearm drill routine but recently i discovered the shoulder tackle drill works even better. seems like some kung fu weirdos would do some limited forearm bridging, but never met one who shoulder tackle trees. this is my polite way to deal with them in non sparring kung fu time. anyone have any fancy ways to deal with them?

also i think this is pretty much why the ethnic chinese kung fu community pretty much went underground. in toronto u cant find **** but i got invited to a wechat group and theres like 250 active chinese ppl with their own private dinners and errythang
    Last edited by bawang; 02-09-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC