Thread: Spinning backfist

Spinning backfist

The spinning backfist is one of my favorite strikes. Although I didn't really develop it until training in CLF. Nowadays it's seen a lot in MMA, Muay Thai, and even back in the old days of American kickboxing, fighters were using it. So it isn't the sole property of any one style of MA.

Here is an example of its successful application outside of a professional ring. The way the guy uses it in this clip is identical to a twisting version of spinning backfist (spinning dot choi) in CLF, though there's no way of telling if he's actually a CLF practitioner, or if he trained MMA or some other method. Either way, it's clear to see he does it at a high level.

Anybody's views/opinions/experiences of spinning backfist are welcome.

Last edited by Jimbo; 02-13-2017 at 09:48 AM.

it is clear that the guy who used the backfist, although he did not have is arms up on guard (maybe he didn't need to? but mine would've been up), he was able to slip away from the other guy very skillfully. as far as the use of the backfist goes, all I can say is, he capitalized on the opportunity when he saw the opening.

That is the backhand blow boxing made illegal. It is called the pivot. Of course learned it via TKD but never used it myself. This dude can.