Thread: Kung Fu Granny Zhang Hexian

Hybrid View

Zhang Hexian, 93

90-Yr-Old Grandma Keeps Healthy by Practicing Kung Fu
    May 30, 2016
    By Ying Lei Editor: Rong Chen

Zhang Hexian (front) has daily Kung fu practices with locals in Ninghai, east China's Zhejiang Province. [chinanews.com]

Zhang Hexian, 93, a renowned Kung fu master who started training at the age of three, keeps physically fit and rarely need to visit doctors, was recently the focus of a report in Qianjiang Evening News.

Zhang lives a disciplinary and peaceful life in Ninghai, east China's Zhejiang Province. Often, she gets up at 4 a.m. and practices Kung fu for about two hours. Afterward, she cooks herself breakfast.

Zhang usually helps in the fields late in the morning and walks a distance of three kilometers to the market in another adjacent town, shopping for food, and then walks back home in the afternoon.

Diseases or illness are seldom bothering Zhang. Even if she catches a cold sometimes, Zhang usually has a quick recovery after a good and sound sleep.

Zhang has a healthy appetite for food, especially seafood, as she can eat up a whole plate of eight crabs by herself in summer. She refuses to take healthcare products. Ordinary food, she insists, is enough for her body.

Zhang's 53-year-old son Feng Chuanyin says his mom always crosses her legs while sitting up straight, which is a habit Zhang has kept for many years.

There are several appliances in her yard for daily Kung fu practice. She always gives tips to locals on Kung fu during her morning trainings.

Zhang says she was born into a family of Kung fu, in which her ancestors founded a faction of bearing their family name Zhang in the area.

It is alleged that the faction of Zhang Kung fu is inclusive no matter what the gender, age or name of the person, even strangers can join the daily practice.

Zhang believes that the aim of practicing Kung fu is to build a strong body and fight against evil. It is not a tool for abuse or for attacking others. In addition, Zhang is always willing to help people in need, gaining a respectful reputation in town.

Right now, this grandma is delighted to see the birth of her family's fifth generation, which is considered to be her biggest happiness at the moment.

(Source: Qianjiang Evening News / Translated and edited by Women of China)
    This is one badass Grandma
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

More on Zhang Hexian

Follow the link for a short vid of Zhang in action.

Published time: 1 Jun, 2016 11:43
    Kung Fu grandma: Chinese woman shows martial arts skills

A 93-year-old Chinese woman, Zhang Hexian, can overwhelm most people in Kung Fu despite her age. The Kung Fu master showed off her skills in the village of Dongyuan on Tuesday, demonstrating great physical shape in martial arts. Her son, Feng Chuanyin, also a practitioner of Kung Fu, assisted her in the ‘fight’ on sticks.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Zhang Hexian

'Kung Fu Granny' has been honing her martial arts skills for the last 90 years
    BY ALEX LINDER IN NEWS ON FEB 13, 2017 10:00 PM

Meet Zhang Hexian. She started to learn kung fu when she was just four years old. Now, 90 years later, she's better known as "Kung Fu Granny."

Even at 94 years old, Zhang still maintains a daily training regimen of practicing her martial arts moves, sometimes even showing off her skill with a staff for fellow villagers in Liyang town in eastern Zhejiang province.

Zhang is also credited with being the town's defender, keeping it safe from various scoundrels and bullies.

Best to watch your step when visiting this granny's village.

Or anywhere in China, really. Never can tell who is actually a kung fu master.

[Images via NetEase]
    Wonder what her style is...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Zhang Hexian continued

Here's all her past posts:

Across China: "Kung fu Granny" becomes Internet celebrity
    Source: Xinhua 2017-02-17 21:00:38
    NINGBO, Feb. 17 (Xinhua) -- A stick in hand, 94-year-old kung fu granny Zhang Hexian fights local bullies and protect her fellow villagers.

The granny has long been well-known in her hometown, Ninghai County, eastern China's Zhejiang Province. Recently, she has become a celebrity on Chinese social media, with some netizens saying that they wanted to be her disciples.

Zhang started to learn martial arts from her father at the age of four. "My father would teach me kung fu skills even when in bed," she says.

Every day, she gets up at 5 a.m., practices kung fu moves, and has some porridge or noodles for breakfast. She grows vegetables, chops wood and cooks meals by herself, since her husband passed away several years ago.

Kung fu has brought her good health.

"My mom has never been to the hospital, and would recover from occasional colds after some sleep," said Feng Chuanyin, Zhang's son. "She never takes health products such as vitamins or supplements."

Video clips and pictures of her practising kung fu have went viral.

"My dear granny, You are so great!" read one post on Sina Weibo, a Twitter-like service. The netizen wished she would live more than 100 years.

"Granny, do you still want to have disciples," asked another netizen. Some netizens even said they wanted their children to learn kung fu from her.

Kung fu has not only brought her a strong body, but also romance.

At 14, she met a man named Feng Yongkai, who was four years older than her. He was a kung fu student of Zhang's father.

They would practice kung fu together in the mountain, gradually falling in love before getting married.

Zhang's kung fu has even helped her deal with robbers. Once coming across three robbers on a mountain, she shouted "Dare you come and fight me?" and brought down two of them before they could even react. The third, realizing he had no chance, quickly ran off.

Kung fu has given her strong arms, making her able to do large-pot cooking. Considered the best cook in her village in the 1970s, she once cooked as many as 52 dishes for a single banquet. Now in her nineties, she is still able to thread a needle by herself.

Practicing kung fu is a tradition in her family. Zhang has taught her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren kung fu.

"We practice kung fu for health reasons and self-defense," said Feng Chuanyin. "My mom tells us that attacking others is absolutely unacceptable."

In good spirits, Zhang said that she wanted to teach kung fu to younger generations and pass it on.

Editor: Xiang Bo
    Bild
    Yesterday at 4:07am ·
    Mit dieser Oma legst du dich besser nicht an! Die 94-Jährige Chinesin ist Kung-Fu-Meisterin.

https://www.facebook.com/bild/videos/419822501694017/
    Play
    -0:51
    Mute
    Additional Visual SettingsEnter Fullscreen
    269K Views
    1.7K Likes215 Comments285 Shares
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Still trending

Worthy of note - we knew about Zhang Hexian back in May '16.

I'm going to split this off into its own indie thread now. After 89 years of practice, Madam Zhang deserves her own thread here.

Kung fu granny, 93, becomes internet sensation in China
    POSTED 11:50 AM, FEBRUARY 21, 2017, BY WQAD DIGITAL TEAM

(CNN) — She may be petite, but Zhang Hexian can pack a punch.

It’s one of the many martial arts moves she’s mastered in her 89 years of practicing kung fu. The 93-year-old grandmother recently became a social media sensation in China after photos of her practicing kung fu went viral.

For Zhang, kung fu has been a part of her life for almost as long as she can remember.

“I started when I was four years old,” she tells CNN. “It’s my family tradition that has lasted more than 300 years.”

Zhang, who lives in China’s southeastern Zhejiang province, says all her family members have learned kung fu, which instills discipline and strength. She recalls how she’d wake up in the morning and start practicing in bed whilst the covers were still over her.

“I was born in 1924, at a time when China was at war with other countries,” Zhang says. “So (kung fu) was also a good way to learn self defense.”

The type of kung fu Zhang practices originates from Fujian province and encompasses 15 different styles.

Each style has about 36 moves. She says it takes about three years to fully learn one style. Zhang has mastered all of them — but recalls the hardest part was at the very beginning.

“Most difficult was learning to squat firmly, because it made my muscles so sore,” Zhang says. “I remember being so sore, I couldn’t even go to the bathroom. And we were a poor family, so after practicing I’d be starving and we’d have nothing to eat.”

Despite that, Zhang stuck with the practice every day, even well into her golden years — waking up every morning at 5 a.m. to exercise. Her favorite type of kung fu involves using bamboo sticks to fight an opponent.

She credits kung fu, plenty of sleep and a healthy diet of mainly vegetables and a little bit of meat for keeping her healthy, pointing out that she’s never had to go to the hospital.

“To have good body, you need to exercise and keep a positive attitude,” she says. “It’s also important to help others as often as you can.”

Many of Zhang’s family members have moved away over the years, so they don’t often get together to practice kung fu. Zhang filled the void by teaching her neighbors.

And of her new found internet fame, Zhang remains quite modest.

“I never thought about being famous,” she said. “If people love kung fu, my family can teach them. We have been teaching people around here — but I never imagined we’d get the attention of others around the world.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Still going at 98!

Follow the link for the vid
    98-year-old Chinese grandma stuns spectators with amazing kung fu moves
    Avery Choi

Ninety-eight year old Zhang Hexian has stunned spectators with amazing kung fu moves at a martial arts competition in China’s eastern Zhejiang province. Otherwise known as “kung fu grandma”, Zhang practises Xiao Hong Quan, one of the most popular forms of Shaolin boxing, and has been training since the age of 5.
    threads
    Kung-Fu-Granny-Zhang-Hexian
    Songshan-Shaolin-Lyrics-Xiaohongquan
    Give-it-up-to-the-elderly!!!!!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips