Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek: Discovery

Boldly going again in 2017

I want to see a Klingon-based series, one that follows a Klingon ship with a Klingon crew. It could be called Worf's World.

New Star Trek Series Premieres January 2017
    By StarTrek.com Staff - November 02, 2015

CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new Star Trek television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the Star Trek franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous Star Trek television series.

The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek (2009) with Roberto Orci, and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series Scorpion and Limitless, along with Kadin and Orci, and for Hawaii Five-0 with Orci.

Star Trek, which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The original Star Trek spawned a dozen feature films and five successful television series. Almost half a century later, the Star Trek television series are licensed on a variety of different platforms in more than 190 countries, and the franchise still generates more than a billion social media impressions every month.

Born from the mind of Gene Roddenberry, the original Star Trek series debuted on Sept. 8, 1966 and aired for three seasons – a short run that belied the influence it would have for generations. The series also broke new ground in storytelling and cultural mores, providing a progressive look at topics including race relations, global politics and the environment.

“There is no better time to give Star Trek fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run Star Trek series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager – CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic Star Trek, and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”

“Every day, an episode of the Star Trek franchise is seen in almost every country in the world,” said Armando Nuñez, President and CEO, CBS Global Distribution Group. “We can’t wait to introduce Star Trek's next voyage on television to its vast global fan base.”

CBS All Access offers its customers more than 7,500 episodes from the current television season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand nationwide, as well as the ability to stream local CBS stations live in more than 110 markets. Subscribers can use the service online and across devices via CBS.com, the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, as well as on connected devices such as Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Roku players and Roku TV, with more connected devices to come.

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Star Trek Television Logo and First Look Teaser Revealed

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Michelle Yeoh FTW!

I was tepid about the new series but now I'm all in. Michelle will be a great Starfleet captain.

Exclusive: Michelle Yeoh Boards Star Trek: Discovery
    BY SILAS LESNICK ON NOVEMBER 22, 2016

Michelle Yeoh is the first star to join CBS All Access’ Star Trek: Discovery

Star Trek: Discovery has found its first star! Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon‘s Michelle Yeoh is set to headline the CBS All Access series, Nicholas Meyer just confirmed to CS. Meyer, who helmed Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, is serving as a consulting producer on Discovery. Although it is unconfirmed at this time, Michelle Yeoh’s role is potentially the series’ lead, a female Lieutenant Commander.

“I know Michelle Yeoh is in it,” Meyer told us during a discussion of his 1979 sci-fi classic Time After Time. The film, starring Malcolm McDowell as H.G. Wells and David Warner as Jack the Ripper, received a Blu-ray edition last week from Warner Archive.

Michelle Yeoh recently reprised her Yu Shu Lien for a Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sequel, Sword of Destiny. She also played a recurring role as Lotus on the second season of the Netflix original series, Marco Polo.

Star Trek: Discovery is executive produced by Bryan Fuller with Gretchen Berg, Aaron Harberts and Academy Award winner Akiva Goldsman manning the bridge.

Following its May 2017 premiere on the CBS Television Network, all episodes of Star Trek: Discovery will be available in the U.S. exclusively on CBS All Access. Continuing the worldwide appeal of the franchise, each episode of the series will be available globally within 24 hours of its U.S. premiere, presented on Netflix in 188 countries and through Bell Media platforms in Canada.

Who would you like to see join Michelle Yeoh in the Star Trek: Discovery cast? Share your thoughts in the comments below and check back soon for our full interview with Nicholas Meyer.

(Photo Credit: FayesVision / WENN.com)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

now is pushed to debut late this summer or in early fall

I'm now copying this off kung-fu-star-trek-people into its own indie thread - Star Trek: Discovery.

Jason Isaacs to Play Captain of Starship Discovery on CBS All Access’ ‘Star Trek’ Series
    Elizabeth Wagmeister
    TV Reporter
    @EWagmeister

CHARBONNEAU/REX/SHUTTERSTOCK
    MARCH 7, 2017 | 09:08AM PT

Jason Isaacs is the latest cast member to come aboard CBS All Access’ upcoming series “Star Trek: Discovery,” Variety has learned.

Isaacs will play Captain Lorca, the captain of the Starship Discovery.

Isaacs is one of the most high-profile names to be cast in “Star Trek: Discovery.” He joins “The Walking Dead” actress Sonequa Martin-Green, who will star as the lead lieutenant commander, plus James Frain as Spock’s father Sarek, Anthony Rapp as a space fungus expert, and Michelle Yeoh as the captain in charge of the Starship Shenzhou. Other cast members include Starfleet officers, played by Terry Serpico as Admiral Anderson, a high-ranking official of Starfleet; Maulik Pancholy as Dr. Nambue, the chief medical officer of the Starship Shenzhou; and Sam Vartholomeos as Ensign Connor, a junior officer in Starfleet Academy assigned to the Starship Shenzhou.

“Star Trek: Discovery” was originally set to launch CBS All Access in January 2017, but the hotly anticipated series has been repeatedly delayed and now is pushed to debut late this summer or in early fall. The CBS streaming service was instead kicked off with the help of “The Good Wife” spinoff, “The Good Fight.”

Sources say difficulties casting and behind-the-scenes flux, including Bryan Fuller stepping down as showrunner, are cause for the show’s delay. Last week, CBS Corp. boss Leslie Moonves spoke at an investor conference, saying he was confident in the quality of the series, and the delay is due to requiring a lot of post production. “It’s important to get it right, and ‘Star Trek’ is the family jewels,” Moonves said.

“Star Trek: Discovery” hails from CBS Television Studios, Alex Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout, Bryan Fuller’s Living Dead Guy Productions and Roddenberry Entertainment. Exec producers are Kurtzman, Fuller, Heather Kadin, Gretchen J. Berg, Aaron Harberts, Akiva Goldsman, Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth.

For Isaacs, “Star Trek” is his latest streaming series, following Netflix’s “The OA.” Prior, he starred in USA Network’s “Dig” and NBC’s drama series “Awake.” His film credits include “The Patriot,” “Peter Pan” and the “Harry Potter” franchise. Coming up, he’ll appear in Weinstein Company’s “Hotel Mumbai” and Armando Iannucci’s film “Death of Stalin.”

Isaacs is repped by Gersh and Jackoway Tyerman.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sonequa Martin-Green

Michael? Not Michelle? Or Nichelle?

Sonequa Martin-Green Beams Aboard Discovery
    StarTrek.com Staff
    April 03, 2017

The worst-kept secret in the universe now has been confirmed officially: Sonequa Martin-Green will beam aboard Star Trek: Discovery. And here's the real news... her character's name is First Officer Michael Burnham.

Martin-Green comes to Discovery following a long and bloody run as Sasha Williams on The Walking Dead. Her other television and film credits include Toe to Toe, New Girl, Once Upon a Time, The Good Wife, Army Wives and Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

Star Trek: Discovery will be available in countries around the world.

f
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Star Trek: Discovery - First Look Trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Star Trek: Discovery - Official Trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I like the new show

SEP 22 2017, 3:27 PM ET
    From Bond Girl to ‘Star Trek’ Captain, Michelle Yeoh Wants to Keep Surprising You
    by TIFFANY HU

Michelle Yeoh as Captain Philippa Georgiou in "Star Trek: Discovery" Jan Thijs / CBS Interactive

In the span of her 30-year career, Michelle Yeoh has done everything from jumping off rooftops to predicting the future. She's been a Bond girl, a geisha, and a sorceress — all roles that the Malaysian-born actress says show the "charming, weird roles" she wants to keep taking on.

"I hope that I keep surprising you,” Yeoh told NBC News. “Otherwise, you will only be seeing Michelle Yeoh playing Michelle Yeoh, which is kind of boring.”

Yeoh's latest role will take her to a new frontier as Captain Philippa Georgiou in the television series "Star Trek: Discovery" on CBS All-Access, the network's on-demand streaming service. The 15-episode series will be the first "Star Trek" series since 2005's "Enterprise" ended.

(left to right) Doug Jones as Lieutenant Saru; Sonequa Martin-Green as First Officer Michael Burnham; Michelle Yeoh as Captain Philippa Georgiou in "Star Trek: Discovery." Jan Thijs / CBS Interactive

As Georgiou, Yeoh joins a diverse cast (which includes Sonequa Martin-Green and Maulik Pancholy) that continues the franchise's legacy of on-screen representation. When the series released its first promotional trailer in May, Georgiou was featured heavily, speaking with Yeoh's native Chinese-Malaysian accent, which fans praised Yeoh for.

“Do you think it’s very strong?” Yeoh wondered, joking that she personally thought her accent was charming. “I think it is good that it received such positive reaction, because people are very aware right now. But what I’m really proud about is that we have an Asian female captain — all the boxes ticked right away.”

She continued, "If you’re given the opportunity to be able to play badass female roles, then why not? And when you say badass, I hope you mean that she’s strong, she’s smart, and she can be physical when need be. I’m very proud to play those roles, because I believe when more roles like that are seen by women, it empowers the young girls and other women who are watching.”

Born in Malaysia, the 55-year-old actress got her start in Hong Kong films before making her U.S. debut in the 1997 James Bond film, "Tomorrow Never Dies." Since then, she's continued to appear in dozens of films, both in Asia and in the U.S., including the Academy Award-winning films such as "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and "Memoirs of a Geisha."

Image: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON, (aka WO HU CANG LONG), Michelle Yeoh, 2000. ©Sony Pictures Classics/courtesy Everett Collection Sony Pictures / Courtesy Everett Collection

“I don’t restrict myself to specifically, ‘OK, this is the kind of roles I want to play,’ but I do know what are the roles that I don’t want to play,” Yeoh said. “I want to make sure that when I take on a role, it is something I’ll be happy to spend time on — and I’ll learn from it, and I’ll enjoy those precious moments or months that I will be working on it.”

Her next big role is already generating buzz: Yeoh will appear in the upcoming film "Crazy Rich Asians" alongside "Fresh Off the Boat" star Constance Wu. The film, based off the novel by Kevin Kwan, doesn't have a release date yet, but it's already being praised for putting Asian and Asian-American faces on screen in Hollywood.

“It’s an amazing film,” Yeoh said, adding that her role of Eleanor Young was fun to play. “It’s, what, the first [film] in 20-something years with an all-Asian cast? Isn’t that a long time coming?”

Yeoh said that, even within the Asian community, it was special to see “an actress who was working in the western part of the world” and “an actor who was working in the eastern part of the world” learning about different cultural issues each faced, while filming.

“I hope that this will be gigantically successful,” Yeoh said. “Because that will open up to producers understanding that the audiences want to see what’s happening on the other side of the world — and that there are stories to be told.”
    So far, Discovery lacks the humor of Star Trek, and I'm not fond of the depiction of Sarek, or SPOILER the fate of Georgiou in ep 2 END SPOILER but I'm enjoying being back in the Star Trek universe.

Michelle Yeoh on Star Trek Discovery
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

We covered 3 of these here.

Top Breakout TV Stars of 2017
    By Joe Otterson @JoeOtterson
    TV Reporter

CREDIT: NETFLIX/CBS

As 2017 draws to a close, Variety takes a look back on some of the fresh faces in television who helped us survive another year.

Of course, fresh can mean many things. In this list, we honor people appearing on new shows, people who joined returning shows, as well as people who made the jump to TV this year. Take, for example, relative unknowns like “Young Sheldon” star Iain Armitage or the young cast of “Riverdale,” who all exploded in popularity this year.

Then there are veteran actors like Sean Astin and Rachel Brosnahan, who took on new roles this year to great fan and critical acclaim. Brosnahan stole hearts and laughs for her powerhouse performance in “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.” Astin, meanwhile, became part of the phenomenon that is Netflix’s binge-worthy series “Stranger Things.”

Read the full list below. Each of those mentioned, in their own way, made us want to keep watching.

Iain Armitage, “Young Sheldon” (CBS)

It was the closest thing to a sure thing you could get that “The Big Bang Theory” prequel series “Young Sheldon” would be a hit. The burden of continuing the legacy of the incredibly successful parent program fell largely on the pint-sized shoulders of Iain Armitage, who plays the child version of Jim Parsons’ Dr. Sheldon Cooper. The young Armitage pulled it off, though, and the series has proven to be number one new comedy of the 2017-2018 season in the Nielsen ratings.

Sean Astin, “Stranger Things” (Netflix)

The original Goony appeared in “Stranger Things” Season 2 and quickly proved to be one of the most lovable characters on television in 2017. Astin played Bob Newby, the boyfriend of Joyce Byers (Winona Ryder) and would-be stepfather to her two sons. Astin brought a tear-jerking amount of humanity and heart to the role, playing Bob as a normal guy who stepped up in the biggest way possible when the people he loved were in danger.

Rachel Brosnahan, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” (Amazon)

Rachel Brosnahan is no stranger to TV audiences after recent turns on “House of Cards” and “Manhattan,” but her starring role on “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” gives the talented actress her best role in years. Brosnahan effortlessly inhabits Miriam “Midge” Maisel, a 1950s New York housewife who discovers a talent for stand up comedy. The series is the brainchild of “Gilmore Girls” creator Amy Sherman-Palladino, providing Brosnahan with no shortage of snappy dialogue. Her onscreen friendship with Alex Borstein as talent manager Susie is also the stuff of TV gold.

Nick Frost, “Into the Badlands” (AMC)

Nick Frost joined AMC’s martial arts series for its second season this year, injecting a welcome dose of comic relief. Frost starred as Bajie, a fast-talking hustler who spends the beginning of the season literally chained to Daniel Wu’s Sunny. “Into the Badlands” truly seemed to hit its stride this season, and Frost was a major component of that. Pairing him with the no-nonsense character Wu portrays allowed for a fantastic odd couple dynamic that provided balance to the show’s breathtaking fight sequences.

Jessica Henwick, “Iron Fist” (Netflix)

Jessica Henwick turned out to be a rose among a lot of poorly-reviewed thorns in the first season of the Marvel-Netflix series “Iron Fist.” Henwick played Colleen Wing, a martial arts master who becomes the ally and lover of the titular hero, played by Finn Jones. Despite the show receiving a rash of negative reviews upon its release, Henwick was one of the few elements of the series to earn real praise. Hopefully, her role will be expanded going forward. The chances of that look good, as Marvel TV head Jeph Loeb teased Wing would team up with Det. Misty Knight (Simone Missick) in a future season in keeping with the comic books.

Sonequa Martin-Green, “Star Trek: Discovery” (CBS All Access)

Sonequa Martin-Green made the leap from one massive series to another this year, leaving “The Walking Dead” to take on a starring role in “Star Trek: Discovery.” Despite a lot of negative news coming out ahead of “Discovery’s” premiere (including multiple premiere date delays), Martin-Green deftly took on the challenge of leading the new installment of the iconic sci-fi franchise. Her portrayal of convicted Starfleet mutineer Michael Burnham made the new show truly binge-worthy.

Jonah Ray, “Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return” (Netflix)

“Mystery Science Theater 3000” remains one of the most popular cult TV shows of all time. After a record-breaking Kickstarter campaign, the show was brought back for a new season on Netflix with comedian Jonah Ray stepping in as the host. Ray had a big jumpsuit to fill, taking over a role previously held by series creator Joel Hodgson and later Michael J. Nelson, the original show’s head writer. But with Hodgson’s blessing, Ray took to the task with apparent ease, riffing on movies with the best of them.

The Cast of “Riverdale” (The CW)

“Riverdale,” the dark twist on the classic Archie Comics, has quickly become a force to be reckoned with on The CW in just under a year. The young cast includes: K.J. Apa as Archie, Lili Reinhart at Betty Cooper, Camila Mendes as Veronica Lodge, and Cole Sprouse as Jughead Jones. The first season launched on CW in January and was subsequently released on Netflix. With the streaming service helping the show reach a much bigger audience, the second season has skyrocketed past the first in ratings to the tune of nearly 50 percent in the key demo and nearly 60 percent in total viewers.

Frankie Shaw, “SMILF” (Showtime)

Frankie Shaw took the short film she entered into the Sundance Film Festival in 2015 and turned it into a TV series that she stars in, writes, directs, and produces this year. Shaw stars as Bridgette, a broke single mother trying to make ends meet for herself and her infant son in South Boston. Shaw has earned critical acclaim for her performance, with many praising her portrayal of a young, flawed woman and the way in which she authentically captured life near the bottom of the socio-economic ladder in America. She was nominated for two Golden Globes for the show’s freshman season.

Jimmy Tatro, “American Vandal” (Netflix)

“American Vandal” perfectly skewered the true crime documentary genre and Jimmy Tatro was at the very heart of it. Tatro played Dylan Maxwell, a high school student who is expelled on shaky evidence that he vandalized over two dozen faculty cars. Tatro’s deadpan (and braindead) delivery made Dylan a lovable loser you couldn’t help but root for. But when the show took unexpected dramatic turns, particularly in its final episodes, Tatro proved more than up to the challenge.

Reese Witherspoon & Nicole Kidman, “Big Little Lies” (HBO)

Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman both made the jump from film to series television this year with the critically-acclaimed series “Big Little Lies.” Both women won Emmys for their work as executive producers on the show, with Kidman also winning the Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie. All told, the show won eight Emmys and was recently nominated for six Golden Globes. Both women will return as stars and executive producers for the show’s second season.

Into The Badlands
    Iron Fist
    Star Trek: Discovery
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

She's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A five year mission...

I'm ready for the next season of ST: DISCO. Engage!

Alex Kurtzman Inks $25M Overall Deal Extension With CBS TV Studios, Will Expand 'Star Trek' TV Franchise

Alex Kurtzman
    Matthew Simmons/FilmMagic
    10:00 AM PDT 6/19/2018 by Lesley Goldberg

Kurtzman recently took over as showrunner on CBS All Access' 'Star Trek: Discovery,' exec produces CBS' 'Hawaii Five-0,' 'Scorpion' and 'Instinct,' and may live long and prosper with yet another show in the works.

Alex Kurtzman is staying in business with CBS Television Studios.

The exec producer behind CBS All Access' Star Trek: Discovery has renewed his overall deal with CBS Television Studios, signing a massive five-year extension with the studio behind the latest entry in the long-running sci-fi franchise. The new agreement keeps Kurtzman, whose deal was up this year, with the studio through 2023. Sources say the deal is estimated at $5 million per year as Kurtzman receives a sizable backend on his programming.

Under the new pact, Kurtzman will serve as the Star Trek: Discovery's lone showrunner after taking over from Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg, who were recently fired from the series. Kurtzman will also expand the Star Trek franchise for the small screen, developing new series, miniseries and other content, including animation.

The new deal comes as rumblings about another Star Trek series, featuring Patrick Stewart reprising his role as Star Trek: The Next Generation's Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, have been getting louder. Sources say Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman, who left Discovery after season one, are attached to the Stewart-led reboot. CBS TV Studios declined to confirm the Stewart project as sources say a deal is far from completed and may not happen despite the fact that the actor recently teased his potential return to the franchise.

“There is a very short list of writer-producer-directors that every film and television studio wants to be associated with, and Alex and his Secret Hideout team are always at the top,” said David Stapf, CBS Television Studios president. “His talent, taste and ability to shepherd a successful project is unparalleled. Alex has done remarkable work for our studio, dating back seven years to the launch of Hawaii Five-0, and we are thrilled that he, Heather [Kadin] and their team will be partnering with us for a long time to come.”

This marks Kurtzman's second solo deal with the studio after splitting from former producing partner Roberto Orci in 2016. Kurtzman and his Secret Hideout banner, led by president Heather Kadin and senior vp TV Aaron Baiers, also exec produced CBS' recently renewed Instinct, veteran procedural Hawaii Five-0 and Scorpion, which was canceled in May. Under Kurtzman's new deal, Secret Hideout will also continue to develop new projects for broadcast, cable and streaming platforms. The banner remains exclusive to CBS TV Studios. Secret Hideout will also expand its production hub, adding inclusive voices and cultivating new talent. Kurtzman is currently developing The Man Who Fell to Earth for Hulu with Jenny Lumet.

“Heather, Aaron and I are thrilled to continue Secret Hideout’s amazing partnership with CBS Television Studios,” Kurtzman said. “Since our first collaboration with Hawaii Five-0 almost a decade ago, Les [Moonves], David and the full team at CBS Studios have been our foremost collaborators and champions, treating each project with integrity, supporting the creative visions and working breathlessly to make each episode of every show the best it can be. CBS has also allowed us the great pleasure of reintroducing the world of Star Trek audiences new and old, and we are very excited to keep working alongside them to expand that world.”

Star Trek: Discovery, meanwhile, has proved to be a success for subscription platform CBS All Access even after two showrunner changes (Berg and Harberts took over for Bryan Fuller). In announcing its season two renewal, CBS All Access — which does not release viewership information — said Star Trek: Discovery helped drive subscriber growth to the new platform. Production on season two started in April, the series is expected to return in early 2019.

Kurtzman's decision to remain at his longtime home at CBS Television Studios comes as other showrunners have begun to survey their options after Netflix recently poached prolific producers Shonda Rhimes (Grey's Anatomy, Scandal) and Ryan Murphy (Glee, American Crime Story) with nine-figure overall deals. For his part, Greg Berlanti recently illustrated that you don't need to leave the broadcast studio system to score a nine-figure deal after he renewed his Warner Bros. TV pact for $400 million.

Kurtzman joins a roster of producers at CBS Television Studios that includes Jerry Bruckheimer, Peter Lenkov, Aline Brosh McKenna and Robert and Michelle King. The deal comes after veteran producers Eric and Kim Tannenbaum exited their CBS TV Studios deal for Lionsgate Television.

Kurtzman is repped by CAA and Gendler & Kelly.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Star Trek: Discovery - Season Two Premiere | First-Look Trailer

In the wake of SDCC2018.

Looks like a completely new story arc for Season 2. I hope they manage to squeeze Captain Georgiou in, even for a cameo.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Long life for Philippa Georgiou

Michelle is the part of ST: Disco.

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY / 13 OCT 2018 9:07 AM PDT
    STAR TREK: DISCOVERY'S MICHELLE YEOH FINDS PERFECTION IN STARFLEET'S SECTION 31
    The Philippa Georgiou actress talks her new Season 2 job, fleeing the Mirror Universe, Michael Burnham, and more.

BY SCOTT COLLURA Emperor Philippa Georgiou is back! Well, former emperor anyway, because in Star Trek: Discovery Season 2, Michelle Yeoh’s Mirror Universe character will now be serving as a member of Section 31, Starfleet’s black ops arm. With her long history of assassination, intrigue, and arrogance, she’s perfect for the job, don’t you think?

I caught up with Yeoh at New York Comic-Con, where she filled me in on Georgiou’s new gig, her ongoing relationship with Michael Burnham, how the character feels about being stuck in the Prime Universe, and more. Read on for the full chat…

Michelle Yeoh as Philippa Georgiou

A Tale of Two Georgious

Even though the OG Georgiou -- Captain Georgiou -- is long dead, the actress said that we should still expect to see a version of that character in addition to the Mirror one… from a certain point of view.

“We don’t want anybody else, apart from the selected few who already do know about the Mirror Universe [to know]. That has to be kept under wraps, or otherwise it would be just chaos in the Prime universe,” she said. “So Admiral Cornwell, Spock, Sarek, Tilly, the few -- Saru -- that know. So it’s like, when I come onto the Discovery, Captain Pike has no clue. So I play [the] Philippa Georgiou that he’s met before, the kind, compassionate one. But, you know, the problem with the Emperor Georgiou, she cannot help herself from being mischievous. So Captain Pike is almost like … no. She didn’t? I don’t think she was flirting with me… You know? So she loves to play all these little tricks on people’s minds, and she manipulates them, because she’s very smart.”

Yeoh points out that being that way is surely part of how Georgiou got as far as she did in the MU.

“I guess she’s had to live like that for her whole life,” she said. “So it was the kill or be killed thing, where you’re always watching the other people, so you know every single body language that’s going on, so you preempt it. So she fixes things that are going wrong, but at the same time, she can’t help but have fun with it. So it’s such a deliciously devilish character.”

Philippa and Michael: Mother, Daughter, Enemy, Friend…?

Michael Burnham (Sonequa Martin-Green) was responsible for bringing Emperor Georgiou to the Prime Universe last season, seemingly saving her from certain death in so doing. Of course, there’s also a complicated relationship there where Captain Georgiou was a mother figure to Michael, and the Mirror Georgiou was the adopted mother to Mirror Michael! Now these two “family members” will be thrust together again, for better or worse.

“It’s always going to be complex between the two of them,” said Yeoh. “Michael is going around with so much guilt from Season 1, after the death of her beloved mentor [and] that mother-daughter relationship. And so when she saw the emperor, she can’t help to feel that that’s still the same Philippa Georgiou. And when she found how hard and ruthless she was, I think, in Michael, she wants to bring that humanity back. That’s Michael Burnham, right? And for Philippa Georgiou, she has a soft spot for Michael Burnham. So we’ll see, in the coming season, how that plays out. Who is going to bring who? Am I gonna bring her to the darker side, or is Michael…”

Yeoh sees the current dynamic between the two as a sort of (ahem) mirror to the first season relationship between Captain Georgiou and Michael.

“I think it’s almost like a full circle,” the actress said. “When it started, the journey in Season 1, it was Philippa Georgiou trying to bring some humanity, you know, like, loosen up, kid! You don’t have to be so uptight, right? You can have fun! And now it’s almost like Burnham doing the same thing for her, like, you don’t have to be mean all the time, you know? No one is trying to kill you here all the time, right? So it is interesting. But then, Michael’s biggest fear is, she’s joined one of the most scary … I mean, of all the places, Section 31, where they do things [outside] of the principles of Starfleet. They will do whatever it takes. They will kill, as long as they feel that they need to do that to protect Starfleet. So it’s nervous times for Burnham, because she doesn’t know which way Emperor Georgiou is going to go.”

The Perfection of Section 31

Section 31 is an interesting aspect of Starfleet in that it was first created for Deep Space Nine but has since been retconned into the earlier history of the Star Trek universe on Enterprise, in Star Trek Into Darkness, and now on Discovery. In a deleted scene released after the first season finished its run, Georgiou was indoctrinated into the service. And Yeoh thinks it’s the perfect place for her to be right now.

“In the whole universe, this is probably her best toy,” she said. “Because Section 31 has all the most updated gadgets, because they are the most informed, and she, as an engineer, she can hack into Section 31. And [the Section 31 member who recruited her] Leland thinks he’s in charge of the ship. But she finds out secrets. Because that’s what Section 31 does. It’s collected secrets all over the universe about certain people, and history, and things like that. And so, when you have [those] kind of secrets, it’s power. And for Philippa Georgiou, that’s perfect! So, if she has to be here, she wants to be in Section 31, and she wants to run it, right?”

Which isn’t to say that Emperor Georgiou wanted to depart her universe to come here. But there was the minor matter of her ship being taken over and her being overthrown…

“I think she never wanted to leave it in the first place, but Michael truly believed that she was going to die,” said Yeoh. “Because she wasn’t sacrificing herself for Michael Burnham, she was ready to fight … And with her skills, you never know which way it would have gone, right? But I think being here in this universe, she’s finding a lot more interesting flavors to what life is about. It’s not just about killing, it’s not just about taking over the next territory, and having to watch over your shoulder the whole time. Where you don’t have friends, where you don’t trust anyone. And that is a horrible way to live. You’re lonely. You’re single. You have no choice. But here in this world, she’s beginning to feel that humanity actually could be quite interesting. And there’s hope for her.”

So the question then arises: nature versus nurture. Are you evil just because you live in the Mirror Universe, or does it make you evil?

“I think it makes you who you are, because you have no choice,” concludes Yeoh. “You have to fight. And that’s the only way to survive, right? Because, if you didn’t… Michael Burnham? Dead, a long time ago. She would have never survived. It would be, okay, bye bye! And that’s the reality of what the Terran world was about. But not in this universe. In this universe, she’s beginning to realize, I don’t have to be like that. I don’t have to be killing just to get ahead. And I think that makes a big difference.”

Sonequa Martin-Green as Michael Burnham, Michelle Yeoh as Georgiou and Anson Mount as Captain Pike

Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 will debut on January 17, 2019, but in the meantime be sure to also check out our interview with Sonequa Martin-Green about Spock, Captain Pike, and more. Or, read our chat with Mary Wiseman about her character Ensign Tilly’s new Short Treks episode “Runaway,” or check out IGN’s full NYCC panel report.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Lower Deck

Star Trek's New Animated Series Is Called "Lower Deck"
    ...and it's already green lit for two full seasons.
    By Darren Orf
    Oct 25, 2018

CBS
    Star Trek never really goes away, but it's having a renaissance at the moment unlike any in the history of the franchise. It's a new golden age, and it's fun as heck—for Trekkies and regular humans alike.

CBS has been releasing new Trek every month in the form of the excellent Short Treks. Then there's Star Trek: Discovery, currently ramping up for its second season, and we're learning more every day about the upcoming Picard series. Next up in this wonderful embarrassment of Trekness: a funny cartoon.

Star Trek: Lower Deck is the name of Alex Kurtzman's long-rumored Star Trek animated series. The show is designed to be a half-hour comedy, written by Rick and Morty alum Mike McMahan, which will focus on a starship's lesser-known characters, mainly the support crew who work in—you guessed it—the lower decks.

Lower Deck will also be Star Trek's return to animation after the short-lived Star Trek: The Animated Series, which ran from 1973-1974 (pictured above), and will be a straight-to-series order with two seasons already greenlit. Although we don't know when the show will premiere or how many episodes will fill each season, the show will sit along side Discovery and the untitled Picard show on CBS All Access.

"Mike won our hearts with his first sentence: I want to do a show about the people who put the yellow cartridge in the food replicator so a banana can come out the other end," said executive producer Alex Kurtzman in a press release. "His cat's name is Riker. His son's name is Sagan. The man is committed."

In addition to these impressive Trek credentials, McMahan started a Twitter account in 2011 posting his own season-eight fanfic for The Next Generation (he even went on to write a book about it). Interestingly, season seven of TNG has an episode titled "Lower Decks," which focuses on the junior officers onboard the Starship Enterprise (and an episode of Voyager does the same).

"It's undeniably 'Trek,'" McMahan says about Lower Deck. "I promise not to add an episode at the very end that reveals the whole thing took place in a training program."

Although there is no word yet on when within the Trek timeline the show will take place, McMahan's apparent obsession with The Next Generation would seem like a good place to start.
    Maybe this will be split off into its own indie thread someday. Maybe not. I suspect I'm one of the only trekkers here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Star Trek: Discovery - Season 2 | Official Trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips