Thread: Geostorm

Geostorm

I post this here because Daniel Wu of Into the Badlands is in it. You can see him at 0.54.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Geostorm - official trailer 2 [hd]

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Totally OT

There is a Taiwanese meteorologist named Daniel Wu (his Chinese name is totally different however - Daniel the actor's name is 吳彥祖)

Sea warning for Typhoon Talim expected at 11:30 a.m.
    2017/09/12 10:43:11

Taipei, Sept. 12 (CNA) A sea warning for Typhoon Talim is expected at about 11:30 a.m. Tuesday as the storm moves toward northern Taiwan, according to the Central Weather Bureau (CWB).

The bureau said that Talim was upgraded from a tropical storm to a typhoon late Monday evening and is intensifying in strength, with a sea warning likely on Tuesday morning.

At 2 a.m. Tuesday, the storm was located at around 1,200 kilometers east of Eluanbi, Taiwan's southernmost tip, moving in a west-northwestly direction toward Taiwan at 29 kilometer per hour, the CWB said.

The bureau said the typhoon's impact on Taiwan will be more visible in the second half of Wednesday and Thursday.

With Talim growing in strength, the CWB said a land warning could be issued later in the day, though with the storm now heading north, it remains to be seen whether it will make landfall in Taiwan.

Daniel Wu (吳德榮), an independent meteorologist and adjunct professor at National Central University, agreed it is possible the storm will head in a more northerly direction, noting that such movement could cause Talim to move away from Taiwan, reducing the threat it poses.

However, Wu said people in Taiwan need to remain vigilant because even if the threat level is reduced, heavy rain is likely in northern areas.

On Tuesday, Taiwan is expected to have suffocatingly hot weather with temperature highs likely to range between 32 and 34 degrees Celsius throughout the country, while day time highs are expected to hit 36 degrees in Taipei, the CWB said.

Sporadic showers are forecast in southern Taiwan as well as mountainous areas in central and southern areas in the afternoon, while rain is expected in northern Taiwan, Yilan and Hualien tonight.

Air quality in central and southern Taiwan and outlying Kinmen is expected to be “unhealthy” for sensitive groups, while quality in other areas is expected to be good to fair, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). More details are available on the EPA website at http:/goo.gl/hE50ct

(By Chen Wei-ting and Frances Huang)
    Enditem/AW
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The only reason I started this thread was because of Daniel Wu

Beyond Daniel, I doubt there will be anything martial in this film.

Daniel Wu takes on Mother Nature in Geostorm

Daniel Wu in Geostorm. PHOTO: WARNER BROS
    Oct 14, 2017 06:00 am

Before we see American actor Daniel Wu possibly kicking butt alongside Lara Croft in next year's Tomb Raider reboot, he is grappling with a bigger enemy on the big screen - Mother Nature.

In new movie Geostorm, the 43-year-old plays the Hong Kong-based supervisor for the Dutch Boy Program, a global network of climate-controlling satellites created by world governments.

But when it malfunctions and starts attacking Earth, it is a race against the clock to uncover the real threat before a worldwide geostorm wipes out everything.

Currently showing here, the movie also stars Gerard Butler, Abbie Cornish and Jim Sturgess.

GEOSTORM COMBINES A COMPELLING CONSPIRACY THEORY THRILLER WITH A DISASTER FILM OF EPIC PROPORTIONS. WHICH ASPECTS OF THE STORY DID YOU CONNECT WITH?

I am a big fan of both, so this is the perfect combination. There are two stories running concurrently - one set aboard the International Space Station and another on Earth - and both are compelling.

YOUR CHARACTER CHENG IS AN EXPERT ON THE TECHNOLOGY USED TO CONTROL THE WEATHER. BEFORE BEGINNING WORK ON THE FILM, DID YOU DO RESEARCH ABOUT WEATHER SATELLITES AND TECHNOLOGY?

Having lived in China for the past 20 years, I have picked up a few things about weather.

For example, it was supposed to rain during the opening ceremony of the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, but the Chinese government shot ions into the clouds and made it rain a day earlier and not during the ceremony. That was the first time I realised it was possible to at least partially control weather.

WHAT WAS IT LIKE WORKING AMID ALL THE PRACTICAL EFFECTS AND STUNTS?

It was amazing. I have worked on over 60 films in Hong Kong, and I have never been on a production where five blocks of the city - a section called Mong Kok - were shut down for filming.

Most, if not all the crews in Hong Kong worked on that sequence.

I also did about 90 per cent of the driving where Cheng races through the crumbling streets. That was really exciting.

WHAT CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES DOES WORKING ON A LARGE-SCALE MOVIE SUCH AS GEOSTORM PRESENT YOU?

It is challenging because you do not see the visual effects during production, so the performance is based on your and the film-makers' imagination, which have to be aligned.

The car chase scene was particularly challenging because I had to imagine the road splitting in front of me and then suddenly veer off to the side to avoid falling in the crevice.

Traffic cones marked the cracks in the ground that would be added later with visual effects.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

In China, Blade Runner 2049 bombs but Geostorm does okay.

OCT 27, 2017 @ 12:00 PM
    Box Office: 'Blade Runner 2049' Bombs In China
    Scott Mendelson , CONTRIBUTOR
    I cover the film industry.
    Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

Stephen Vaughan - © 2017 Alcon Entertainment, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
    'Blade Runner 2049'

Nope, China will not be saving Blade Runner 2049. The Sony/Alcon Entertainment production, which has earned just under $200 million worldwide ($77m of that in North America courtesy of Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc.), bombed in its first day of release in the second-biggest moviegoing market in the world. The $150m+ sci-fi sequel, which debuted to rave reviews but indifferent box office earlier this month, earned just $2.4m on Friday. That means, offhand, that we’re looking at a $7m-$8m weekend and $15m-$20m total in China.

Yes, the film opened in Japan on Friday as well, but we’re not dealing with the same kind of potential. For example, Terminator Genysis made $113 million in China two years ago while making $25m in Japan. China was the last hope for something resembling a respectable figure for the sequel to what was initially a bomb back in 1982. The original Blade Runner earned just $28m domestic on a $28m budget. The Ridley Scott futuristic film noir boasted jaw-dropping production design and remains on the more influential genre films of the last half-century.

But it was a flop in 1982, with critics and film nerds championing a critical reevaluation beginning in 1992 with the release of a director’s cut on VHS. And, as we all know, just because an IP is a big deal in North America doesn’t mean it’s going to be huge in China. If Star Wars couldn’t do better than “**** good” in China, despite Walt Disney’s best efforts, then a property like Blade Runner wasn’t going to strike it big there either. So, barring a fluke in Japan, we may be looking at a global total under $225m.

The irony of all this is that the winner in China this weekend will be Warner Bros. and Skydance’s Geostorm. So essentially the Dream Factory opened Geostorm in China on the same day as the other movie that they were merely distributing in North America. It’s a strange circumstance, even if it somewhat makes sense. Anyway, the poorly-reviewed Gerard Butler disaster adventure topped the box office in China on Friday, earning $10.1 million (including online ticketing fees).

That’s almost what the Dean Devlin picture earned in North America ($13 million) over its domestic Fri-Sun debut last weekend. But let’s not kid ourselves. Even with a likely $30m debut weekend and $60m-$65m total in China, the $120m “Egad, the weather is attacking us!” thriller has a long way to go before it even thinks about breaking even. The film had $69m worldwide heading into the weekend, and its fate will now be determined by how well it does in the rest of the world. Yes, China was a big help, but it’s not entirely a lifesaver.

The chief culprit for Denis Villeneuve’s Blade Runner 2049 was spending so much on a Blade Runner sequel that it essentially had to perform like a Star Wars sequel (or at least the more commercial Tron: Legacy) just to break even. An $85m domestic/$225m worldwide total for a 2.75-hour, R-rated, adult-skewing sci-fi tone poem starring Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford isn’t too bad. But this wasn’t a $50m picture, so a run like (ironically) Denis Villeneuve’s Arrival isn’t good enough. That’s the danger with giving a successful studio programmer director a mega-budget franchise, as Paul Feig learned last year with Ghostbusters.

As for Geostorm, it was the kind of film that bet on overseas glory that is now probably wishing it had done better in North America.
    I still want to see both Blade Runner 2049 & Geostorm.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This has become an interesting demonstration of PRC marketing

I'm rather pleased that I started this Geostorm thread now. I didn't think about it facing off against Blade Runner 2049 in PRC. I hope Hollywood takes notice and starts casting more Chinese actors now.

OCT 29, 2017 @ 09:40 AM
    Gerard Who? 'Geostorm' Worked In China Because It Was Billed As A Daniel Wu Movie

Rob Cain , CONTRIBUTOR
    Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

Actor Daniel Wu attending the premiere of Universal Pictures' "Warcraft" on June 6, 2016. (Photo by Frazer Harrison/Getty Images)

Two science fiction movies go head-to-head, one starring Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling, the other Gerard Butler and Andy Garcia. If you had to bet money on which would outgross the other, you'd surely put your money on Ford and Gosling, confident you'd win that bet.

And that's just what happened with Blade Runner 2049 and Geostorm in North America. The Ford-Gosling starring sequel to the 1982 Ridley Scott classic earned $12.6 million on its opening day, three times as much as the $4.3 million earned in its debut by the Butler-starring Geostorm. In most territories, the former film will easily wind up outgrossing the latter.

Now, take those same two movies and release them in China. Without making any meaningful changes to either picture, you adjust the poster for Geostorm by removing Butler and Garcia's names and images and replacing them with another actor who isn't even billed on the U.S. poster: Daniel Wu.

Electric Ent. / Sony Pictures
    Chinese posters for 'Geostorm' and 'Blade Runner 2049.

And voilà, with that adjustment in the marketing, you’ve changed everything. When Geostorm opened on Friday against Blade Runner 2049, it outearned the more well-received Ford-Gosling picture by a margin of four-to-one, $10 million to just $2.4 million.

Electric Entertainment
    'Geostorm' debuted in China on October 27, 2017.

Butler and Garcia are barely known in China, but Wu, who was born in Berkeley, California, is a big star there. The son of immigrants from Shanghai, the 43-year-old Wu grew up in California admiring Jet Li and Jackie Chan. After graduating from the University of Oregon, he moved to Hong Kong in 1997, initially to pursue a modeling career.

Only four months later, the Hong Kong martial arts movie director Yonfan contacted Wu after seeing his image on a bus stop advertisement and asked him to star in his upcoming film Bishonen. Despite the fact that he did not speak Cantonese, Wu performed in the picture and was on his way to a successful career as an action star.

Based ever since in Hong Kong and mainland China, Wu has since appeared in over 60 films, including the hit Overheard movies, Go Away Mr. Tumor and Warcraft.

When Geostorm director Dean Devlin cast Wu, he did so not only for the award-winning actor's on-screen talent but also for his marquee value in China, where the picture was expected to perform well given the prior success with disaster movies as The Day After Tomorrow and 2012.

In contrast to the cynical Hollywood casting of Chinese stars in tiny cameo roles, to which Chinese audiences often react with well-deserved sneers, casting Wu in Geostorm was a well-considered move that has paid off nicely. Though it's impossible to say how much impact Wu has had on the bottom line, it's safe to say that his presence in has been vastly more important to Geostorm's China results than Gerard Butler or any of the picture's other actors.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First forum review

I watched this on a 10+ hour flight returning to California from a layover in Sweden and the baby seated behind me kept kicking my chair so it was kind of like D-box, right? But I had to see it because Daniel Wu is in it. He plays a science nerd in HK. And you know what? He pulls a Shatterstar on me. ******. I sat through the rest hoping to see one of the great landmarks of Paris or Rome that I visited on my vacation destroyed by a CGI storm but there was only one scene of the Eiffel tower with some flooding in front of it (I think it was just an artfully shot puddle). This film didn't work for me. Maybe it was that baby.

Coincidentally, I saw Blade Runner 2049 on the same flight, completely forgetting their Chinese connection above.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips