Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Man at Arms: Art of War - Original Series from EL REY Network with Gene Ching

Man at Arms: Art of War - Original Series from EL REY Network with Gene Ching

Man at Arms: Danny Trejo to Host Pop Culture Weapons Series
    by Regina Avalos, March 5, 2017

Featureflash Photo Agency / Shutterstock.com

Get ready to see Danny Trejo on the small screen. He will soon be the host of a new pop culture series titled Man at Arms. The series will arrive in June.

El Rey Network shared a press release detailing the new series. Check that out below.
    “Danny Trejo (Machete, Sons of Anarchy) will host the upcoming El Rey Network original unscripted series “Man at Arms.” The eight-part series will premiere on the network in early June 2017. As host of “Man at Arms”, Trejo will introduce each episode, preside over the expert roundtable of builders, historians and martial artists and participate in the weapons testing phase to see how much destruction they can cause.

“Who better to host a show celebrating iconic weapons in pop culture than ‘Machete’ himself, Danny Trejo?” asked El Rey Network president and G.M. Daniel Tibbets. “Danny is a longtime friend of our founder, Robert Rodriguez and also of El Rey Network. He brings the right mix of mentorship, humor and knowledge to ‘Man at Arms’.”

El Rey Network will bring the popular and celebrated digital series, “Man at Arms” to television in a co-production deal with DEFY Media, the studio that created “Man at Arms”. Iconic weapons and armor have played a starring role in some of the most memorable scenes in movie history and can be found throughout pop culture, from movies to video games to comics to TV shows. In each episode of “Man at Arms”, a team of expert craftsmen skillfully reproduce famed weapons and armor from scratch, using both the technology that would have been available at the time such weapons and armor were originally created, as well as state-of-the-art technologies beyond the original forgers’ wildest imaginations, to create historical, modern, and mythological works of martial art. Each masterwork is then tested by experts for its strength and real-world functionality. Whether it slices, shoots, smashes, stabs, blocks, parries, or disarms, viewers will get a first-hand look at what kind of force each marvelous masterpiece can unleash. DEFY Media’s award-winning digital series, which recently celebrated its 100th episode, consistently averages over 1.5MM views per episode and has built a vast and passionate fan community.

“Man at Arms” is produced by DEFY, led by heads of Television/OTT Production and Development Jared Hoffman and Chris Pollack, Chief Content Officer Barry Blumberg, and El Rey Network. Hoffman and Pollack serve as series executive producers and showrunners. Blumberg will also serve as an executive producer.”

El Rey picks up “Man at Arms,” “Rite of Passage”
    By Selina Chignall January 16, 2017

Texas-based lifestyle net, El Rey Network, has picked up two original unscripted series, Man At Arms and Rite of Passage.

The digital series Man At Arms will be brought to television in a copro with Defy Media, the digital studio behind the series. El Rey has ordered eight, one-hour episodes of the series where expert craftsmen reproduce famed weapons and armor from scratch. Using technology from the time they were originally produced, along with state-of-art technology, the craftsmen create “historical, modern and mythological works of martial art,” a statement from the network said. The weaponry is then tested by experts for functionality and strength.

Man at Arms will be produced by Defy, led by heads of Television/OTT production and development Jared Hoffman and Chris Pollack, chief content officer Barry Blumberg and El Rey Network. Hoffman and Pollack will also serve as series’ executive producers and showrunners.

David Sherman at William Morris Endeavor Entertainment negotiated the deal.

El Rey has also picked up the 12-part docuseries Rite of Passage. Award-winning producer, reporter and cameraman Tim Noonan (pictured) scours the earth, immersing himself in local cultures where he participates in the rituals that define the transition to manhood. These rituals land Noonan in environments like the anaconda-infested plains of Venezuela, and in Cameroon, West Africa, where he crawls headfirst into the home of a giant rock python to wrestle it from its lair.

Seven Productions, a division of The Seven Network in Australia, produced Rite of Passage.

Both Man at Arms and Right of Passage will air in the first half of 2017 on the El Rey Network.
    For more on EL REY, see our El Rey Network and Shaw Brothers thread.

For more on Man at Arms, see our Katana Forging thread.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I'm in this show!

If y'all were wondering why I wasn't posting my usual amount last week, it's because I was working on this series.

I am cast in 5 of the 8 episodes.

It was an extraordinary experience and I'll share more as it gets closer. I hope y'all will tune in watch, even if just to troll me here.

I RIDE WITH EL REY!

Talking with Robert Rodriguez about Danny Trejo & their new show ‘Man at Arms’
    EMILY BICKS MARCH 28, 2017

What we see on TV and in the movies is seldom an accurate depiction of real life — but over time, it’s easy for us to assume, once we’ve seen it enough times, that a given trope is accurate and realistic. Watching the victories of actors who aren’t trained in martial arts, or wield their guns and swords with improper form, naturally makes us feel like we could just pick up a weapon and kick some butt — even if we know intellectually that we’d probably just end up maiming ourselves before the fight even started.

But the violent delights of television and film aren’t meant as training videos: They’re meant to evoke feelings and conversation. We don’t watch Jack Bauer go to the bathroom on “24” and we don’t need to see every step in gun maintenance to understand the story — in fact, that would be a drawback, in the moment. But if you love TV and film, you’re also going to be interested in how it’s made: Not just how those props and sequences are created, but what the “real world” equivalent is like.

Which is where we meet up with our old friend Danny Trejo, and his longtime collaborator, the iconic action filmmaker Robert Rodriguez: If anybody could be expected to lead us on a tour of pop-culture violence, weaponry and practical magic, it’s these two. They have been bringing out fantasies to life for decades, and it’s obvious they keep at it because they love this stuff as much as we do — an explanation from them is like getting a magician’s explanation of the modern art of action… And from overjoyed, ebullient, master magicians at that.

You can’t hear either name without instantly envisioning the stellar weapon sequences in “From Dusk ‘Til Dawn, “Machete,” “Grindhouse” and even the youth-friendly “Spy Kids” films. And now, the “Rebel without a Crew” author and the man who’s infamous for his villainous roles are teaming up with guys from the hit digital series, “Man at Arms,” recreating it on Rodriguez’s El Rey Network. The eight-part mini is hosted by Trejo, and features a team of experts that will showcase how those iconic weapons are both created and correctly used.

We visited the set of “Man at Arms” while they were filming the series’ action sequences in Los Angeles, and got to speak with the always charming, 49-year-old American producer, writer, director, composer and film encyclopedia known as Robert Rodriguez at length.

We love a good bromance, and so our first question was about how and when he first met Trejo.

Robert Rodriguez: I was making a movie called “Desperado,” and I had a character who was a knife-throwing guy, and I didn’t want him to talk. Just an assassin, with these little knives that I designed to be like crucifixes with blades, and he would silently kill people. I needed someone spooky and menacing because he wouldn’t have any words — which is my favorite kind of acting. It was a tall order.

I remember seeing [Trejo’s] picture, and it was picture from a prison show. He hadn’t done that many movies yet. But he walked in, and he had that face and that demeanor. He didn’t talk, because he had no lines — but he sat down, and I handed him one of my knives and I just said, “You got the part.” This was back in 1994.

It wasn’t until later, when we were on set, that I got to know him. He was like “Hey, give me some lines, Coach!” and I was like, “NO!” Because by then I knew what such a nice guy he was. If he opened his mouth, he’d blow what I was trying to do! That whole mystique. He looks really menacing, but he’s a puppy dog. He’s got such a natural magnetism.

I was like, “You’re going to be in an action film” — I had the idea for “Machete” before “Desperado” — and I put him in movie after movie after movie until finally, he was big enough star to have Robert DeNiro be his co-star!”

The inspiration for “Man at Arms” actually came from Rodgriguez’s son, Rebel.

I love weapons in movies. In “Desperado,” he’s got a suitcase full of them — but while working on “Kill Bill 2,” I did the music for it… I really dug the art of making a Hanzo blade, legendary blade, and you wonder — what magic is that: Forging.

I remember showing it to my boys — it was about the only scene I could show them, because they were so young — and Rebel really sparked to it. And now years later, he’s forging weapons, studying Japanese warfare, wants to learn how to make knives… He’s got a real passion and drive for it.

And then I heard about this internet show, “Man at Arms,” and when I asked if he’d heard about it, he was like “Yeah! It’s a great show!” And then I wanted to bring it to El Rey, like: “If you’re into, I’m into it.”

It really fits into the El Rey Network. This show embodies honoring traditions, showing not only the historical context [of weaponry], but how it fits into modern pop culture. It really makes you appreciate the art. Even something as basic as a Japanese-style kitchen knife takes a tremendous amount of work, passion, brute strength and patience.

Ilya Alekzeyev and Matt Stagmer, of the original YouTube series, are helping Rodriguez craft the revamp for El Rey — and they impressed on us the amount of time and skill that goes into recreating these weapons on the show:

Matt Stagmer: When you are working with items that are part of a specific tradition, there’s no cutting corners. And since we’re doing testing, it has to be exactly right — not only [to respect] that culture, but… To perform as it would have.

Ilya Alekzeyev: Consequently, there’s danger in the testing. The modern person has a skewed sense of expectations, of how weapons perform. The materials’ historical source would appear sub-par to us as people living in the 21st century. We, as craftsmen, know how it was made — and that’s how we make it — but it doesn’t mean that the particular weapon will perform well. Many swords in history failed because of the old-school material; there were errors in the forging that experienced smiths didn’t notice.

The goal of this TV series is not just to entertain, of course — and after seeing some of the weapons testing done live, we can assure viewers it’s very educational. In fact, few shows and movies pass the litmus test of how weapons are supposed to be used.

Alekzeyev: I can’t say any of them pass! I understand that the job of a person making the movie is making a work of art that captures the imagination, so they use flashy swordfighting… Like the handgun fighting in “Equilibrium” — they’re are creating a sense of atmosphere and wonder. So I don’t even look at like Oh, is this plausible? Of course it’s not! It’s fantasy.”

“I look at Japanese swords the way someone looks at a great painting. The brush strokes already present. The form, everything,” says Alekzeyev — and nd they’re not cheap! “If you order a sword from Japan form a modern maker, it varies between $4,000-8,000. And very often, you don’t get the handle or grip. It’s just the blade. Everything else is exchangeable…”

But “Man at Arms” isn’t solely looking to kill the movie mystique — quite the opposite, of course: “What’s cool about this show,” Rodriguez says, “Is that it attacks these myths in movies… Like, you can’t carry a katana on your back. It looks cool cinematically, but it really is supposed to be on your side. So it chews up a lot of things we’ve gotten used to seeing in the movies. It’s entertainment, but it’s education, and teaches you to appreciate the craftsmanship.”

Which goes for the story you’re watching, we think, as much as the individual props. As spoiler-phobic as we can sometimes be, here at Screener — and how little we enjoy nitpicking for its own sake — we also love knowing how things are made, and learning more about their real-world equivalents, for exactly that reason: Knowing how well a story has been crafted, peeking behind the curtain at all the working gears and levers, provides just another way to love them, in the end. And with tour guides this knowledgeable and delightful, it’s easy to love the lesson for its own sake.

“Man at Arms” premieres in June 2017 on the El Rey Network.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A co-star

I only have one episode with Crystal. It's the finale, episode 8. She does some of the testing for some of the weapons on episodes that I am in, but we really only had the two scenes together in the finale episode.

Martial Artist Crystal Santos is Weapons Master in El Rey’s “Man at Arms”
    March 9, 2017 B. Hernandez

Action actress Crystal Santos To Star Along with Danny Trejo in El Rey’s Man At Arms This Coming June

Stuntwoman/action actress Crystal Santos has been cast in the El Rey Network original unscripted series Man at Arms as a weapons tester. The eight-part series is hosted by Danny Trejo (Machete) and will premiere on the network in early June 2017.

Santos began her career as a boxer after being introduced to the sport by her father at the tender age of three. Later, she trained in Muay Thai and Kung Fu, which lead her to a very successful career as a stuntwoman in films like Oceans Thirteen, Argo and Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones.

Santos is a dual Bullwhip Master and a member of the Devil Dog Tactical Weaponry team proving that there are no limitations for this powerhouse female in a male-dominated industry. As one of the few action actresses who perform all her own stunts, Santos is able to bring an incomparable authenticity to her film and television roles that sets her apart from the rest.

Iconic weapons and armor have played a starring role in some of the most memorable scenes throughout pop culture, from movies to video games to comics to TV shows.

El Rey Network will bring the popular and celebrated digital series, Man at Arms to television in a co-production deal with DEFY Media, the studio that created Man at Arms. In each episode of Man at Arms, a team of expert craftsmen skillfully reproduce famed weapons and armor from scratch, using both the technology that would have been available at the time such weapons and armor were originally created, as well as state-of-the-art technologies beyond the original forgers’ wildest imaginations, to create historical, modern, and mythological works of martial art. Each masterwork is then tested by experts for its strength and real-world functionality. Whether it slices, shoots, smashes, stabs, blocks, parries, or disarms, viewers will get a first-hand look at what kind of force each marvelous masterpiece can unleash. DEFY Media’s award-winning digital series, which recently celebrated its 100thepisode, consistently averages over 1.5MM views per episode and has built a vast and passionate fan community.

Man at Arms is produced by DEFY and El Rey Network.

Crystal Santos’s many Martial Arts Awards and Inductions include: The Worldwide Martial Arts Council (August 23, 2014); Action Martial Arts Hall of Honors (January 24, 2015); The Munich Hall of Fame for Martial Arts (April 18th, 2015); Masters Hall of Fame (June 6, 2015); Suisse Hall of Honours (Martial Arts) (September 24, 2016) and Martial Arts Hall of Fame Argentina (November 2016).

Follow Crystal Santos on social media:
    Facebook @officialcrystalsantos
    Instagram @officialcrystalsantos
    Twitter @crystalmsantos
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Coming Soon!

This is the show that I'll be appearing on this summer. It debuts on June 8th on El Rey Network. I RIDE WITH EL REY.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The trailer is being shown on EL REY now

I watched Machete Kills again (luv that film) last night on El Rey Network to catch the trailer as I figured they would play it for that film. I was right. I posted what I caught of it on my instagram. Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to catch the scenes with me in it, but I'm in shot for sure.

While I'm on the subject, check out EL REY NATION.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The complete promo

My castmate Crystal Santos just posted the full promo on her facebook page.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Coverage from Martial Arts Entertainment

Man at Arms: Art of War on El Rey Network
    BY MARTIAL ARTS ENTERTAINMENT

“Danny Trejo (Machete, Sons of Anarchy) will host the upcoming El Rey Network original unscripted series “Man at Arms.” The eight-part series will premiere on the network in early June 8, 2017.

As host of “Man at Arms”, Trejo will introduce each episode, preside over the expert roundtable of builders, historians and martial artists and participate in the weapons testing phase to see how much destruction they can cause.

“Who better to host a show celebrating iconic weapons in pop culture than ‘Machete’ himself, Danny Trejo?” asked El Rey Network president and G.M. Daniel Tibbets. “Danny is a longtime friend of our founder, Robert Rodriguez and also of El Rey Network. He brings the right mix of mentorship, humor and knowledge to ‘Man at Arms’.”

Danny Trejo Man At Arms: Art of War on El Rey Network

El Rey Network will bring the popular and celebrated digital series, “Man at Arms” to television in a co-production deal with DEFY Media, the studio that created “Man at Arms”. Iconic weapons and armor have played a starring role in some of the most memorable scenes in movie history and can be found throughout pop culture, from movies to video games to comics to TV shows.

In each episode of “Man at Arms”, a team of expert craftsmen skillfully reproduce famed weapons and armor from scratch, using both the technology that would have been available at the time such weapons and armor were originally created, as well as state-of-the-art technologies beyond the original forgers’ wildest imaginations, to create historical, modern, and mythological works of martial art. Each masterwork is then tested by experts for its strength and real-world functionality. Whether it slices, shoots, smashes, stabs, blocks, parries, or disarms, viewers will get a first-hand look at what kind of force each marvelous masterpiece can unleash. Based on the extremely popular YouTube series, “Man at Arms” is produced by DEFY and El Rey Network.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

Besides Danny Trejo, the cast includes Crystal Santos, Marko Zorar, Gene Ching, D’amon Stith, Matt Stagmer (Swordsmith), Kerry Stagmer (Swordsmith/Blacksmith/Metalsmith), and Illya Alekseyev (Armorer/Bladesmith).

DEFY Media’s award-winning digital series, which recently celebrated its 100th episode, consistently averages over 1.5MM views per episode and has built a vast and passionate fan community.

“Man at Arms” is produced by DEFY, led by heads of Television/OTT Production and Development Jared Hoffman and Chris Pollack, Chief Content Officer Barry Blumberg, and El Rey Network. Hoffman and Pollack serve as series executive producers and showrunners. Blumberg will also serve as an executive producer.”

Crystal Santos Man At Arms: Art of War on El Rey Network

Episode Descriptions:

101 “Weapons of Kung Fu” – June 8 at 8:00pm et
    Ancient China developed the honorable martial arts of Kung Fu and the weapons needed incredible precision and expert handling. The ji is a hybrid between a spear and a dagger-axe that has been used for over 3000 years. The wind and fire blade is used in pairs to slash, stab or disarm an opponent.

102 “Weapons of the Gods” – June 15 at 8:00pm et
    India fostered some of the deadliest and most unique weapons including the haladie knife, a double-edged dagger with long blades to put distance between the weapon used and their opponent and the urumi, a flexible whip-like blade.

103 “African War Blades” – June 22 at 8:00pm et
    Since the beginning of time, African civilizations have crafted some of the most lethal weapons known to the world including the Membele knife, a curved throwing dagger that was often carved to resemble a bird’s head and the Shotel, a sickle-shaped sword used to hook and rip invading soldiers off their horses.

104 “Weapons of the Mongol Horde” June 29 at 8:00pm et
    The fearsome Mongol Horde carved out one of the largest empires in the ancient world through their ability to wield deadly weapons on horseback. The composite bow has a range of 820 feet and the ballista could shoot a heavy arrow with more accuracy than a catapult.

105 “New World Warriors” – July 6 at 8:00pm et
    The Aztec Empire developed some of the simplest but most effective weapons to assist them in their savage battlefield tactics including the macuahuitl, a wooden sword with its sides embedded with prismatic blades sharper than steel razor blades and the Mayan’s long distance weapon – the atlatl.

106 “Weapons of the Pharaohs” – July 13 at 8:00pm et
    The Armies of the Egyptian Pharaoh cut a bloody path through the ancient world, creating one the mightiest empires ever known. Using weapons ranging from the Battle Axe to the Khopesh, ancient Egypt ruled the ancient world.

107 “Stuff that Legends are Made Of” – July 20 at 8:00pm et
    Explore the heroic swords behind the legends including the Arabian Zulfiqar given to Ali ibn Abi Talib by Muhammad and the Tuzin El Cid won from King Yucef.

108 “Weapons of the Rising Sun” July 27 at 8:00pm et
    The Samurai, the mightiest warrior class the world has ever known, were famously known for their incredible use of the straight-headed spear the Yari and the Katana, one of the finest cutting weapons in world military history.
    They changed the order of presentation. I'm in episodes 1, 4, 5, 7, & 8.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

promo poster

That's the sword I got to test for the cameras.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

So its kind of like the forge show on A&E?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Kinda...but I'm in it so it's better.

A&E's Forged in Fire is a competition. MAN AT ARMS: ART OF WAR is not. The weapons aren't built in a timed race, but at the shop of Baltimore Knife & Sword. Also our show is more focused on the history behind the weapons, so we recount legends and set up tests that are more appropriate to the weapon itself.

Actually, one of BKS's representatives, Ilya Alekseyev, was a winner on FiF - S2E4 'Spiked Shield'.

I'll have more on this very soon, of course. But right now, I'm rather inundated with production for KFTC25 AF.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Now that KFTC25 AF is over, for my next trick...

Follow the link for my fav trailer so far...

Watch: Danny Trejo Slices and Dices His Way Through El Rey Network's 'Man at Arms' Preview (VIDEO)
    Jeff Pfeiffer May 19, 2017 3:00 pm

EXCLUSIVE

El Rey Network
    Host Danny Trejo promises a "badass history lesson" in El Rey Network's Man at Arms: Art of War

"It takes three things to make a badass movie,” says Danny Trejo in this exclusive trailer for El Rey Network's new series Man at Arms: Art of War. “Bullets, blood and blades." Trejo should know, having starred in a number of films featuring plenty of all three elements, especially in his role as Machete in Robert Rodriguez' films.

Trejo is again working with his frequent film collaborator as host of this series on Rodriguez' El Rey Network. Each episode of Man at Arms, which is based on the popular YouTube series, features iconic weapons that have played prominent roles in pop culture, from video games to comics to TV shows.

A team of expert craftsmen reproduce these weapons from scratch, and afterward, Trejo and others clearly have fun testing them out, as you can see in the slicin'-and-dicin' clip below.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Man at Arms: Art of War - New Original Series from EL REY Network

May Day
    stars one of my Man At Arms: Art of War co-stars, Crystal Santos.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Man at Arms: Art of War - New Original Series from EL REY Network

I sent advanced copies of the July+August 2017 issue to my castmates on Man at Arms: Art of War because the show is the topic of my Chollywood Rising column in this one.

Two of them posted on their instagrams. If you're an instagrammer, please follow my castmates Marko Zaror and Crystal Santos to show them a little KungFuMagazine.com luv.

markozaror

Coming soon!!! At @elreynetwork Thanks @geneching for the kung Fu magazine! #manatarmsartofwar #weapons #martialarts
    416 likes 2d
    officialcrystalsantos

Oh my gosh....this is so awesome! I got a cool gift from Kung Fu Magazine today! Their recent issue with the most awesome t-shirt ever!!!! Thank you Gene Ching and Kung Fu Magazine! ����❤️
    #KungFu #MartialArts #KungFuMagazine
    765 likes 2d
    Our 'official' cover reveal is today, but I meant to post this yesterday as a teaser. Now it'll only be a teaser for a short time...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kerry Stagmer of #ManatArmsArtofWar interviewed at El Rey Network Press Event

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips