Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Man at Arms: Art of War - Original Series from EL REY Network with Gene Ching

Way of the Turkey!

Be sure to tune in next week. I'll be back in the War Room and this episode is my forte. STAY SHARP!
    Man At Arms Season 2 Haitus

El Rey Network

563 Views · 12 hours ago ·
    One thing to be thankful for on Thanksgiving: Man At Arms: Art of War Season 2!

Returns November 28th at 9p ET on El Rey Network!
    And tomorrow, tune into El Rey Network's Way of the Turkey Marathon. Just one more reason why I RIDE WITH EL REY.
    60 Kung-Fu Zooms in 60 Seconds

El Rey Network

What Kung-Fu Movie has YOUR All-Time Favorite ZOOM?

Watch Way of the Turkey, starting Thanksgiving Day on El Rey Network!

#BruceLee #ShawBros #WayoftheTurkey #ElReyNetwork #Thanksgiving #TurkeyDay

THREADS
    El Rey Network and Shaw Brothers
    Man at Arms: Art of War - Original Series from EL REY Network
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

finally got to see the first episode on VRV on the Roku. I like how you're the voice of reason. In all of their enthusiasm to create the wind and fire wheels, you were the only person to bring up that there wasn't really any archaeological evidence for their existence on the battle field. The level of difficulty in producing and using them is probably proof enough that they were most likely an opera prop. It looked like the guy cut himself pretty good in the cutting demo. Anyway, I like the show and plan on watching the series.

Our newest exclusive web article

TONIGHT! Weapons of Kung Fu! READ MAN AT ARMS: ART OF WAR – Season 2: Don’t Try This at Home by Gene Ching

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thanks for tuning in, MightyB!

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    finally got to see the first episode on VRV on the Roku. I like how you're the voice of reason. In all of their enthusiasm to create the wind and fire wheels, you were the only person to bring up that there wasn't really any archaeological evidence for their existence on the battle field. The level of difficulty in producing and using them is probably proof enough that they were most likely an opera prop. It looked like the guy cut himself pretty good in the cutting demo. Anyway, I like the show and plan on watching the series.
    Marko's cut wasn't too bad really. It was a small puncture, not too deep. Da'Mon's injury, as mentioned in the article above, was worse. But both men are warriors and they were back on set, back in action, the next day.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tonight!

Can I sell 3-section staffs or what?
    Waxwood
    Rattan
    Hardwood
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Now there's a great wall poster! You seem to be much more at ease with your new screen presence, Gene. Congrats! The staff at KFM must be getting a kick out of this.

Persia

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Now there's a great wall poster! You seem to be much more at ease with your new screen presence, Gene. Congrats! The staff at KFM must be getting a kick out of this.
    Thanks. I actually felt less at ease because my master's passing was always in the back of my mind when shooting this Season. I must give props to the showmakers for judiciously editing my more-at-ease scenes. Thanks for watching PalmStriker!

I'm not sure the whole staff of KFM is tuned in. It's not like they don't get enough of me already.

Just two more episodes left this season and I'm not in either. But tune in anyway and help us get renewed for Season 3.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tonight!

I'm not on the Persia episode but you can also catch the repeat of last week's episode tonight, Weapons of Kung Fu, too. Support our show and STAY SHARP!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Oops

Oh snap. My bad. I am in the Persia episode.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Season finale tonight!

Unfortunately, we are experiencing technical issues with the admin of KungFuMagazine.com, so I can not publish my last article for MAN AT ARMS: ART OF WAR: Season 2 as scheduled. That will just have to wait until things are back in order.
    Nevertheless, please tune in tonight and support our show. We finish strong with an episode we should have done in the first season. I'm not in this episode at all.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our newest exclusive web article

The final installment for Season 2: MAN AT ARMS: ART OF WAR – Season 2: What’s Your Favorite Weapon? by Gene Ching

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Happy Holidays from El Rey!

I'm in the back row, 4th from the left.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ain't It Cool review

This is a little dated as Season 2 already concluded, but I post it here for posterity.

Wheels reviews MAN AT ARMS: ART OF WAR Season 2 - Hosted by Danny Trejo!
    Published at: Oct. 3, 2018, 10:53 p.m. CST by Wheels

One of the most fun things about genre films and television is the weaponry. Who hasn't marveled at Beatrix Kiddo's Hanzo sword from KILL BILL or Oberyn Martell's viper spear from GAME OF THRONES? If you are into that sort of thing, I'm sure you've looked into purchasing a replica of your favorite only to find that most are just really shoddy showpieces meant for display on a mantle.

What if though you had a true weapons master actually create a famous weapon from myth or pop culture, like Conan the Barbarian's broadsword for example? Would it be a functional tool of destruction or would it be an impractical mess?

The El Rey Network series MAN AT ARMS: ART OF WAR seeks to answer that very question on a weekly basis and it has returned after a successful first season. I was given the opportunity recently to check out the first few episodes in advance of its season 2 premiere.

What I discovered with the show is that, while the concept is inherently fun and host Danny Trejo (MACHETE) certainly adds to that vibe with his infectious laugh and friendly demeanor, the topic itself is handled seriously. Each week Trejo meets with a panel of experts that includes blacksmiths, weapons and martial arts experts, and stunt performers. A couple of notable inclusions in the rotating line up were DTV action star Marko Zaror (UNDISPUTED 3) and Robert Rodriguez's own son, Rebel, who is adept at forging metal weapons.

They then discuss the cultural significance of the style of weapons they will be covering in that particular episode. They talk about where the weapons appeared and what they mean to them personally, fandom, and sometimes even their historical significance. These introductory chats always include clips from television shows and films where the weapons are featured. In the handful of episodes I watched, clips from YOJIMBO, EXCALIBUR, and even NARUTO were shown. The panel is then given two weapons from the show's topic that week to create as not only a screen/story accurate item but also as a completely functional tool. No easy task.

The majority of the show then covers the handcrafted creation of these weapons. If you're into weaponry or even simply repair and "do-it-yourself" shows you will find this aspect fascinating to watch. The blacksmiths and weapons experts craft beautiful screen-accurate items with a minimal amount of modern fabrication and they walk you through the entire process of creation with simple easy to follow language.

Once the weapon is forged, it is presented to Trejo and he acts as the audience surrogate and gets even more information about the final product before passing it over to one of the highly skilled martial artists to test.

The testing is done by using the weapon to destroy various objects like bamboo poles, shields, slabs of meat, and most graphically gel-based dummies filled with fake blood and organs. This aspect of the show is comparable to a program that used to run on Spike TV called DEADLIEST WARRIOR. The main difference here though is that MAN AT ARMS: ART OF WAR avoids the silly recreations and faux rivalries of that show and instead lets the beautiful craftsmanship and power of these weapons take center stage.

The show is an easy, enjoyable watch that will subtlety teach you bits about crafting and history as it goes along. Sometimes, the forging scenes can be a little too lengthy but the thrill of watching a skilled warrior decimate scenery with a beautiful weapon that may not have ever really existed before cannot be denied.

To sum it up, if you like Renaissance faires, shows about crafting, or just watching a little good-natured destruction then MAN AT ARMS: ART OF WAR just might be what you are looking for.

MAN AT ARMS: ART OF WAR Season 2 premieres Thursday, October 4th at 8 pm EST on the El Rey Network.

- Matthew Essary

(aka "Wheels")
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our WINTER 2019 issue

READ Man at Arms: Art of War Season 2 By Gene Ching in our WINTER 2019 issue. Available digitally too via Zinio.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Final meme for our WINTER 2019 issue

Fingers still crossed that Man at Arms: Art of War gets renewed for Season 3. I hope to hear very soon.

Next up - SPRING 2019

THREADS
    Winter 2019
    Man at Arms: Art of War - Original Series from EL REY Network
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips