Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Matrix Resurrections

The Matrix Resurrections

There's a vid that reiterates this exclusive.

MARCH 14, 2017 6:13pm PT by Borys Kit, Kim Masters, Rebecca Ford
    'The Matrix' Reboot in the Works at Warner Bros. (Exclusive)
    Pause
    Mute
    Current Time 0:04
    /
    Duration Time 0:37
    Loaded: 0%Progress: 0%

The 1999 sci-fi movie is coming back.

More Matrix? Bet on it.

It’s still not clear what shape the project will take, but sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Warner Bros. is in the early stages of developing a relaunch of The Matrix, the iconic 1999 sci-fi movie that is considered one of the most original films in cinematic history, with Zak Penn in talks to write a treatment.

Sources say there is potential interest in Michael B. Jordan to star, but much must be done before the project is ready to go.

At this point, the Wachowski siblings, who wrote and directed the original and its two sequels, are not involved and the nature of their potential engagement with a new version has not been determined. Certainly, Warners would want the two filmmakers to give at minimum a blessing to the nascent project. The studio had no comment.

Joel Silver, who produced the original trilogy, is said to have approached Warners about the idea of mining The Matrix for a potential new film. However, Silver sold his interest in all his movies to the studio in 2012 for about $30 million, according to sources. Warners is said to be leery of including him in any meaningful role, as he not only has a reputation for budget-control issues, but apparently has a strained relationship with the Wachowskis. The siblings hold much more meaning for fans than the producer. Silver's reps did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Written and directed by the Wachowskis, the original movie sees humanity living in a simulated reality, unaware that humans are in pods in which their bodies are being harvested for energy. A computer programmer named Neo (Keanu Reeves) slowly becomes aware of this suppressed existence, eventually becoming humanity’s one true hope (Neo = One) to overthrow the oppressors. The pic also starred Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss and Hugo Weaving.

The Matrix was released in a quiet period of the 1999 release calendar — March 31 — and Warner Bros. didn’t have outsized expectations for an action movie with obvious Manga and comic-book influences. But the story and ground-breaking special effects (including the slow-motion "bullet time" effect, which launched dozens of imitators in the years that followed) became the highest grossing R-rated film of 1999 in North America, and the fourth-highest grossing film of the year worldwide. It also won four Academy Awards.

Two sequels, Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions, were not as well received, but Reeves’ deal for those films made him one of the richest actors in Hollywood.

While promoting John Wick: Chapter 2, Reeves said he would be open to returning for another installment of the franchise if the Wachowskis were involved. "They would have to write it and direct it. And then we’d see what the story is, but yeah, I dunno, that’d be weird, but why not?” he told Yahoo Movies. However, it is likely that Warners will look elsewhere to attract an A-list director and star.

While some at Warners consider the title among the studio’s sacrosanct properties, such as Casablanca, others see a need to redevelop it in an environment where studios are desperately looking for ways to monetize their libraries and branded IP is hard to come by.

The idea of adapting The Matrix as a television series was nixed in recent months. But Warner Bros. sees a model in what Disney and Lucasfilm have done with Star Wars, exploring the hidden corners of the universe with movies such as Rogue One: A Star Wars Story or the in-production young Han Solo film. Perhaps a young Morpheus movie could come out of the exploration, as an example.

Penn is a writer with deep roots in the geeky genres in which Matrix travels. He created the Syfy network’s super-powered show Alphas and has been involved in comic book movies ranging from the X-Men franchise to The Avengers.

Penn is repped by UTA.

MAY 1999

THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS: The End of the Wachowski Brothers But Not Yuen Woo-Ping by Dr. Craig Reid

Matrix Didn't Suck: REVOLUTIONS spoilers
    The Ultimate MATRIX: RELOADED thred (Major Spoilers)

There are more Matrix links & threads, but this will do for now.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Jet & the Matrix

TRENDING
    Jet Li says he rejected The Matrix because he didn’t want his kung fu moves digitally recorded
    Martial arts superstar explained the decision in a recent interview with Chinese media

Remember Seraph from The Matrix? The kung fu fighting Guardian of the Oracle could have been played by Jet Li… until he realized the filmmakers might have wanted to digitally preserve all his martial arts moves.

The role of Seraph went to Taiwan actor Collin Chou. No offense to Keanu Reeves, but Seraph’s moves are so much more fluid that those of Neo’s.

In his latest interview with famed Chinese anchor Chen Luyu, Li revealed his reason for turning down the big role in The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolution.

“It was a commercial struggle for me,” Li said, “I realized the Americans wanted me to film for three months but be with the crew for nine. And for six months, they wanted to record and copy all my moves into a digital library.”

He added, “By the end of the recording, the right to these moves would go to them.”

Li said back then, he was already worried that future technology would allow US filmmakers to digitally reproduce his moving body and superimpose the face of any actor onto it.

“I was thinking: I’ve been training my entire life. And we martial artists could only grow older. Yet they could own [my moves] as an intellectual property forever. So I said I couldn’t do that,” Li said.

This isn’t the first time that Li has talked about his decision to reject the role.

In 2002, he told the BBC he thought the movie was going to be great with or without him. The next year, he told CNN that he wanted to use the time to film the martial arts epic Hero instead.

Li’s recent appearance followed news of his declining health earlier this year.

The 55 year-old Beijing-born actor has been suffering from hyperthyroidism and spinal problems. Pictures of Li’s almost unrecognizably frail appearance emerged on Weibo earlier this year, sending shockwaves across the web.

Li’s manager later came out and said Li was “completely fine” despite his battle with hyperthyroidism.

Jet Li before and now. (Picture: SCMP/Facebook)

Li did appear to be in high spirits during his recent interview. That could bode well for the Hollywood icon who is slated to be part of Disney's upcoming live-action Mulan.
    THREADS:
    Li Lian Jie (Jet Li)
    The Matrix Reboot
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our newest exclusive web article

It was 20 years ago. READ Wude: Leveraging the Vexations of Our Modern-day MATRIX by Williy Pang

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wude is an ancient concept that would do well to be emphasized in modern times. With the present day political climate, children who are raised by video games and a culture that oversells everything for the sake of mere profit, VIRTUE is a word nearly lost to the present generations. Thanks, Gene for resurrecting this article as its content, IMHO, is more relevant and worthy of our consideration than ever. Make America (and the world) virtuous again...

peace

herb ox

Such a tease...

‘John Wick’ Director Hopeful Lana and Lilly Wachowski Return for Fourth #Matrix Movie
    "The Matrix" last graced the big screen in 2003 with trilogy-ender "The Matrix Revolutions."
    Zack Sharf
    May 10, 2019 11:17 am
    @zsharf

“The Matrix”
    Warner Bros.

Update 2:00pm ET: Chad Stahelski’s reps tell IndieWire the director was misquoted in his Yahoo Movies UK interview. His answers were hypothetical and he was speaking about his desire for the Wachowskis to return and not confirming they were involved.

Are Lana and Lilly Wachowski gearing up to revive their iconic “Matrix” franchise on the big screen? No official word has come from the directing duo, but “John Wick” director Chad Stahelski tells Yahoo Movies UK that’s the plan at the moment. News broke in March 2017 that Warner Bros. was eyeing a “Matrix” reboot with Michael B. Jordan in contention for the leading role. The Wachowskis were not attached to the project at the time but according to Stahelski that has changed.

“I’m super happy that the Wachowskis are not just doing a ‘Matrix,’ but they’re expanding what we all loved,” Stahelski told Yahoo Movies UK. “And if it’s anywhere near the level of what they’ve already done, it wouldn’t take more than a call to go, ‘Hey, we want you to be a stunt guy’ and I would probably go and get hit by a car.”

Stahelski said he’s not positive whether or not the Wachowskis will return as the directors of the film (“I’m not sure of the overall. I’m not sure if Lana is”), but he assured fans Lana and Lilly will be involved creatively in some capacity with bringing their beloved film franchise back to life on the big screen.

“Yeah,” the director said when asked if the Wachowskis are involved. “And if they wanted help, I would absolutely put down whatever I was doing to help them.”

Stahelski worked as a stunt performer on the original “Matrix” trilogy and has since made a name for himself as the director of the “John Wick” movies. The director’s newest action franchise has kept him busy working with original “Matrix” star Keanu Reeves. “The Matrix” launched in 1999 and was heralded as a game-changing blockbuster due to its use of pioneering visual effects. The original won four Oscars and grossed $463 million worldwide. Two sequels followed, “The Matrix Reloaded” and “The Matrix Revolutions,” both of which were released theatrically in 2003. The films spawned successful video games and books as well. It’s still unclear whether or not a fourth “Matrix” movie would be a prequel, although that was the original rumor.

IndieWire has reached out to the Wachowskis’ representatives for further comment.
    THREADS
    The Matrix Reboot
    John Wick 3: Parabellum
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

still teasin

The Wachowski's Are Reportedly Set To Direct The New MATRIX Movie with Michael B. Jordan
    4 Days Ago by Joey Paur

Last month John Wick director Chad Stahelski said that The Matrix revival film was moving forward at Warner Bros. and that The Wachowski’s would be involved in some way. He is quoted as saying:

“I’m super happy that the Wachowskis are not just doing a Matrix, but they’re expanding what we all loved. And if it’s anywhere near the level of what they’ve already done, it wouldn’t take more than a call to go, ‘Hey, we want you to be a stunt guy’ and I would probably go and get hit by a car.”

It was later reported that the this comment was inaccurate and taken out of context. But, maybe it wasn’t! Discussing Film, who has reported several scoops that turn out to be true, says that not only are the Wachowski’s involved, they are directing it!

They go on to report that the film will start shooting in early 2020 in Chicago. Apparently they have been secretly prepping the movie under the working title “Project Ice Cream”.

None of this has been confirmed by the studio, but I actually wouldn’t mind seeing the Wachowski’s return to direct the next installment of the franchise. Sure, The Matrix sequels weren’t the greatest, but that doesn’t mean that can’t com back and make another badass Matrix movie! If anyone is going to take on The Matrix revival, the creators of the franchise should be the ones to do it.

Zak Penn (Ready Player One) is writing the script for the film and Michael B. Jordan is still said to be attached to star in it. Plot details are under wraps but, “the project is already beginning to fill out its crew with Hugh Bateup, who was an art director on 1999’s ‘The Matrix’ set to return to the franchise as the production designer for this film.”

What do you all think about the possibility of The Wachowskis returning to direct The Matrix revival?
    I was just thinking I should revisit the trilogy. I remember the first film well enough but the others are a blur now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

better?

Lilly Wachowski Hopes WB’s New ‘Matrix’ Movie is “Better Than The Original” [TCA 2019]
    Posted on Friday, August 2nd, 2019 by Fred Topel

Lilly Wachowski, one half of the directing duo behind the original The Matrix, was on a Television Critics Association panel for her Showtime series Work in Progress, which she produced and co-wrote with co-creators Abby McEnany, who stars, and Tim Mason, who directs. After the panel, /Film had a chance to ask her about Warner Bros.’ next Matrix movie, which has been in the works for a couple of years.

Lilly co-created, co-wrote, and co-directed the original Matrix trilogy alongside her sister Lana Wachowski, and while Lilly confirmed that she’s not involved with the new Matrix movie, she did say that she hopes it can improve upon the 1999 film that started it all.

Lilly Wachowski Won’t Be Involved

A misunderstanding in an interview with former The Matrix stunt performer Chad Stahelski caused people to think the Wachowskis might be involved with the new version, perhaps in a producing capacity, but Stahelski later clarified he was speaking hypothetically and didn’t know if the Wachowskis would actually be involved or not.

Today, Lilly Wachowski confirmed she was committed to Work in Progress and wouldn’t have time to jack back into The Matrix.

“Well, I’m a little busy at the moment,” she told /Film.

That makes sense. The Wachowskis got to make their trilogy the way they wanted, and they’ve been creating new projects since, including the Netflix show Sense8 and now Work in Progress. There’s been a lot of misinformation floating around about their potential involvement with a reboot or continuation, so it’s nice to have some direct confirmation.

She Thinks The New Matrix Could Be Better

The Matrix was a personal film for the Wachowskis. It was their first blockbuster, thus earning them the Hollywood clout to make two sequels and other films like Speed Racer, Cloud Atlas, and Jupiter Ascending. The Matrix trilogy was also a philosophical statement that allowed them to explore the nature of choice and the experience of reality.

It’s been 20 years since the first film debuted – you can listen to the /Filmcast’s retrospective episode about it here – and Lilly Wachowski supports Warner Bros. trying a new take on The Matrix. After all, most Hollywood franchises change hands at some point.

“I like it when stories go out into the world and then come back to you in different ways,” Wachowski said. “I mean, that’s what storytelling is all about. I’m part of a bigger thing. I don’t have any ownership over stuff like that, so whatever story anybody wants to tell, I can’t wait to hear. I hope it’s better than the original.”

Stahelski is next directing John Wick: Chapter 4, which hits theaters on May 21, 2021. Lilly Wachowski’s Work in Progress debuts on Showtime on December 8, 2019.
    I still enjoy the Wachowskis work and am looking forward to Work in Progress.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This just made my day

Changing the title of this thread from The Matrix Reboot to Matrix 4

NEWS AUGUST 20, 2019 1:09PM PT
    ‘Matrix 4’ Officially a Go With Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Lana Wachowski (EXCLUSIVE)
    By JUSTIN KROLL
    Film Reporter
    @https://twitter.com/krolljvar

Get ready to re-enter the Matrix.

Lana Wachowski is set to write and direct a fourth film set in the world of “The Matrix,” with Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss reprising their roles as Neo and Trinity, respectively.

Warner Bros. Pictures and Village Roadshow Pictures will produce and globally distribute the film. Warner Bros. Picture Group chairman Toby Emmerich made the announcement on Tuesday.

“We could not be more excited to be re-entering ‘The Matrix’ with Lana,” said Emmerich. “Lana is a true visionary — a singular and original creative filmmaker — and we are thrilled that she is writing, directing and producing this new chapter in ‘The Matrix’ universe.”

In addition to Wachowski, the script was also written by Aleksandar Hemon and David Mitchell. Wachowski is also producing with Grant Hill. Sources say the film is eyed to begin production at the top of 2020.

Warner Bros. has been trying for the last of couple years to find a way to get back into “The Matrix” universe, but a hold-up over producing rights slowed the project down. Over the past couple of months, the studio saw an opportunity to ramp up development, with Reeves boasting a strong summer that included box office hits “John Wick 3” and “Toy Story 4” and a script from Wachowski that drummed up excitement.

Plot details are currently unknown, as is how the role of Morpheus will be handled, originally played by Laurence Fishburne. Some sources say the role may be recast for a younger take.

The three previous films —“The Matrix,” “The Matrix Reloaded” and “The Matrix Revolutions” — have collectively earned more than $1.6 billion at the global box office. All three were written and directed by Lana and her sister, Lilly, and starred Reeves and Moss.

“Many of the ideas Lilly and I explored 20 years ago about our reality are even more relevant now. I’m very happy to have these characters back in my life and grateful for another chance to work with my brilliant friends,” Wachowski said.

The first “Matrix” had its 20th anniversary this year, marked by special screenings at select AMC locations starting on Aug. 30.

Wachowski is represented by WME, Circle of Confusion and attorney Peter Grossman. Reeves is represented by WME and Ziffren Brittenham. Moss is represented by WME, longtime manager Elizabeth Hodgson and attorney Bob Lange.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II

OCTOBER 9, 2019 8:30AM PT
    ‘Matrix 4’: Yahya Abdul-Mateen II Lands Lead Role (EXCLUSIVE)

By JUSTIN KROLL
    Film Reporter
    @https://twitter.com/krolljvar

“Aquaman” star Yahya Abdul-Mateen II has landed one of the lead roles in the latest installment in the “Matrix” franchise.

Sources tell Variety that director Lana Wachowski met with actors for the secret role over the last week and in recent days, Abdul-Mateen emerged as the frontrunner to join Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss, who will be reprising their roles in the film.

Warner Bros. announced in August that a fourth “Matrix” movie is officially in the works, with Reeves and Moss returning and Wachowski on board to write and direct. Warner Bros. Pictures and Village Roadshow Pictures will produce and globally distribute the film.

In addition to Wachowski, the script was also written by Aleksandar Hemon and David Mitchell. Wachowski is also producing with Grant Hill. The film is expected to begin production at the beginning of 2020.

Warner Bros. has been trying for the last couple of years to find a way back into “The Matrix” universe, but a hold-up over producing rights slowed the project down. The studio has recently seen the opportunity to ramp up development, with Reeves boasting a strong summer that included box office hits “John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum” and “Toy Story 4,” in addition to a solid script from Wachowski.

Plot details are currently unknown and while it was rumored a young Morpheus could appear in the movie, sources close to the film would not confirm Abdul-Mateen’s specific role.

The three previous films — “The Matrix,” “The Matrix Reloaded” and “The Matrix Revolutions” — have collectively earned more than $1.6 billion at the global box office. All three were written and directed by Lana and her sister, Lilly, and starred Reeves and Moss.

In addition to his breakout role as Manta in Warner Bros.’ “Aquaman,” Abdul-Mateen portrayed Lupita Nyong’o’s character’s father in Jordan Peele’s hit “Us” and had a starring role in an episode of “Black Mirror.” He will appear as Cal Abar in HBO’s “Watchmen” TV series, which also stars Regina King and Don Johnson.

Abdul-Mateen was most recently cast to play Black Panther co-founder Bobby Seale in Aaron Sorkin’s “The Trial of the Chicago 7” and landed the titular role in the Peele-produced “Candyman,” set for release in 2020. He will topline the Netflix drama “All Day and a Night” alongside Jeffrey Wright. He is repped by WME and Anonymous Content.
    Young Morpheus? Hmmm.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Neil Patrick Harris

Neil Patrick Harris Joining 'Matrix 4'
    OCTOBER 15, 2019 12:52PM by Borys Kit

Vivien Killilea/Getty Images for SiriusXM

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss are also on the call sheet.

Neil Patrick Harris is uploading himself to The Matrix 4.

The actor is in talks to join a cast that also includes Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. Lana Wachowski, co-creator and director of The Matrix, is directing the new installment for Warner Bros. The studio is producing and distributing with Village Roadshow Productions.

Wachowski is producing the fourth Matrix with Grant Hill, and co-wrote the screenplay with Aleksandar Hemon and David Mitchell.

Plot details are being kept under wraps at this stage.

Harris spent almost a decade starring in CBS’s comedy How I Met Your Mother and more recently spent three seasons starring as Count Olaf in Netflix’s adaptation of A Series of Unfortunate Events. That has kept him away from larger roles in movies but in recent years has appeared in films such as David Fincher’s Gone Girl and Alexander Payne’s Downsizing.

The Matrix, released in 1999, was a box office hit and spawned two sequels, 2003's The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions. Combined, the films have grossed $1.63 billion globally.
    How I Met Your Matrix
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jada Pinkett Smith

‘The Matrix 4’: Jada Pinkett Smith In Negotiations To Return To Franchise

By Anthony D'Alessandro
    October 15, 2019 5:29pm

Warner Bros.

EXCLUSIVE: Several sources tell us that Jada Pinkett Smith is in current negotiations to return for Warner Bros./Village Roadshow’s The Matrix 4. She played the role of Niobe in parts 2 and 3, The Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions. It is not a done deal yet, we hear.

Niobe is from Zion, and the captain of the Logos hovercraft. She’s also one of the rebels in the war against the Machines and the Matrix. In the virtual world of the Matrix, Niobe is a gifted martial artist. The character also appeared in the Enter the Matrix videogame and The Matrix Online multiplayer game.

Earlier today it was announced that Neil Patrick Harris is joining the Matrix 4 cast, which currently includes Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II; the latter is rumored to play a young Morpheus. Lana Wachowski will direct and co-write the screenplay with Aleksandar Hemon and David Mitchell. Grant Hill produces.

Also this afternoon, Deadline learned that Pinkett Smith signed with WME. Her filmography counts $4.5 billion at the global box office from such pics as the Madagascar franchise, Collateral, Girls Trip and Bad Moms. She is the host and executive producer of Facebook Watch’s Red Table Talk, alongside her daughter Willow Smith and mother Adrienne Banfield-Norris. Pinkett Smith also is repped by Miguel Melendez at Three Six Zero Management and attorneys Jason Sloane and Mark Wetzstein. CAA, Pinkett Smith’s former agent, is brokering the Matrix 4 deal.
    I'm going to have to rewatch 2 & 3. I really only remember 1 and remember not enjoying 2 & 3 that much.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jessica Henwick

‘Matrix 4’: ‘Iron Fist’ Actress Jessica Henwick In Talks To Board
    By Anthony D'Alessandro
    Editorial Director/Box Office Editor
    @AwardsTony
    October 16, 2019 12:11pm

Rebecca Cabage/Shutterstock

EXCLUSIVE: We hear that Marvel Iron Fist actress Jessica Henwick is in talks for a lead role in Warner Bros./Village Roadshow’s Matrix 4, a part which is currently under wraps.

Sources tell us that Henwick performed quite strongly during the audition process. There’s been buzz around town that Matrix 4 director and co-scribe Lana Wachowski is looking to have a female-like Neo character at the forefront of the new film. Henwick joins Matrix franchise actors Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss. It’s been speculated that Yahya Abdul-Mateen II will play a young Morpheus. Yesterday, Neil Patrick Harris joined the cast, while Deadline reported that Jada Pinkett Smith is in negotiations to reprise her role as hovercraft pilot-rebel-martial arts specialist Niobe.

Wachowski co-write the screenplay with Aleksandar Hemon and David Mitchell. Grant Hill, who executive produced Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions is back as producer. The Matrix trilogy has grossed over $1.6 billion at the global box office.

Henwick voices the character of Alexia for the Netflix animated series Gods & Heroes, and played Colleen Wing on Marvel/Netflix’s Iron Fist and its spinoff series The Defenders. She also played Nymeria Sand on HBO’s Game of Thrones. Feature credits include Star Wars: The Force Awakens with an impressive number of upcominng movies for the Surrey, England-born actress including Paramount’s upcoming Monster Problems, Legendary/Warner Bros.’ Godzilla vs. Kong, Sofia Coppola’s Apple/A24 feature On the Rocks, and the Kristen Stewart 20th Century Fox film Underwater. Henwick trained at the National Youth Theatre of Great Britain.

Henwick is repped by CAA, Curtis Brown in the UK, and Jackoway Austen Tyerman Wertheimer Mandelbaum Morris Bernstein Trattner & Klein.
    "female-like Neo" or "Neo-like female"? It's the Wachowskis so this could go either way.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wick vs. Neo

'Flash' and 'Matrix 4' Get Release Dates
    DECEMBER 11, 2019 12:19PM by Aaron Couch, Borys Kit

Ezra Miller as The Flash in 'Justice League' (left), Keanu Reeves in 'The Matrix' | Warner Bros./Photofest

Warner Bros. has also undated 'Akira,' which was put on pause when filmmaker Taika Waititi signed on for a fourth 'Thor' movie over the summer.

Warner Bros. has announced release dates for two of its upcoming tentpoles, The Flash and the latest Matrix sequel.

The untitled Matrix film is set to open May 21, 2021, while the long-gestating Flash movie is set to bow July 1, 2022. The studio has also undated Akira, the manga adaptation that has Taika Waititi attached to direct but was put on hold in July when the filmmaker signed on to helm a fourth Thor film for Marvel Studios. It previously was slated for the date now occupied by the Matrix pic.

In a strange twist, the Matrix sequel is now set to go against Lionsgate's John Wick: Chapter 4, with both films starring Keanu Reeves. Matrix co-creator Lana Wachowski is directing the upcoming Matrix effort, which also stars Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Carrie-Anne Moss, Neil Patrick Harris and Jada Pinkett Smith.

Meanwhile, Wednesday's announcement marks the latest release-date shuffle for The Flash, which has long-struggled in its development process. Ezra Miller stars as the DC Comics speedster and made his first appearance in a cameo in 2016’s Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. The studio had initially planned to get a solo outing ready for a 2018 release but creative challenges and musical chairs for the director's seat kept pushing any start of production back. And back again. It filmmaker Andy Muschietti is on board as director now, with a shoot planned for next year.

Additionally, Warner Bros. has moved the release of its Mortal Kombat reboot up six weeks to Jan. 15, 2021, and has also dated an untitled project about political activist Fred Hampton for Aug. 21, 2020.

The Hollywood Reporter
    AARON COUCH
    aaron.couch@thr.com
    @AaronCouch
    BORYS KIT
    @borys_kit
    THREADS
    John Wick 4 May 21, 2021
    Matrix 4 May 21, 2021

Mortal Kombat August 20, 2020
    Akira undated
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Keanu is in town?!?

'Matrix 4' Could Be Filming In San Francisco In 2020
    DECEMBER 9, 2019
    Dallas

Frank Micelotta / Staff

CATEGORIES: Bay Area News Entertainment

UPDATE: 'Matrix 4' star Keanu Reeves has been spotted in Alameda this week. Potentially filming for the new film.

Jennifer Nutefall
    @SCULibrarian
    Breaking news from the Bay Area: I have heard from reliable sources that Keanu Reeves is staying in Alameda (the island. By Oakland.) while filming Matrix IV. Also breaking news, I did not realize there was going to be a Matrix IV

8:06 AM - Jan 7, 2020
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    See Jennifer Nutefall's other Tweets
    Keanu Planet
    @keanuplanet
    Keanu Reeves in Alameda (near #SanFrancisco), California - Jan 7 2020#keanureeves #California
    Thanks @mr_reeves_blog 🙏https://twitter.com/happynibbamoy/st...401151488?s=19https://twitter.com/happynibbamoy/st...564172800?s=19

@happynibbamoy
    Replying to @happynibbamoy @idk510
    Embedded video
    6:20 AM - Jan 8, 2020
    49 people are talking about this
    In August we found out that 'Matrix 4' was officially a go with Keanu Reeves & Carrie-Anne Moss reprising their roles & Lana Wachowski returning to write and direct the film. It also might return to the Bay Area for filming.

SFGate

@SFGate
    Is 'Matrix 4' going to film in San Francisco? http://dlvr.it/RKyjsB

12:36 PM - Dec 9, 2019
    18 people are talking about this
    2003's 'The Matrix: Reloaded' filmed in the Posey Tube between Oakland & Alameda and now SF Gate is reporting that the film's fourth installment could be filming in San Francisco under the codename 'Project Ice Cream'.

The SF Film Commission has said that a major project with that working title will film in SF starting in February 2020, but it is not yet known where, or when exactly filming will take place, but go ahead & keep an eye out.
    Project Ice Cream needs to shoot at Tiger Claw.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This is all over our local news

Keanu Reeves was spotted eating ice cream in Alameda ahead of filming 'Matrix 4'

By Amanda Bartlett, SFGATE Updated 4:30 pm PST, Wednesday, January 8, 2020

FILE - Keanu Reeves arrives for the world premiere of "Toy Story 4" at El Capitan theatre in Hollywood, California on June 11, 2019. The actor was reportedly hanging out in Alameda ahead of shooting next month for "Matrix 4." Photo: Valerie Macon, AFP/Getty Images

Red pill or blue pill? It appears Keanu Reeves chose neither during a recently confirmed sighting in Alameda.

Instead, he opted for a scoop of ice cream at the Baskin-Robbins location on Blanding Avenue.

Video shared to Twitter Monday evening shows the "Always Be My Maybe" actor casually seated on the curb outside of the ice cream chain, enjoying his cone in solitude. (Later, he was kind enough to pose for a photo with a young fan.)

A Baskin-Robbins employee named Abby told KTVU Reeves had walked into the shop around 5 p.m. that day. While she didn't get to see Reeves herself, she said her colleague who was working the evening shift "freaked out" and "didn't know how to act" when he saw the actor walk up to the counter. After the fact, a large sum of money was apparently left in the tip jar.

Moy
    @happynibbamoy
    · Jan 6, 2020
    Replying to @idk510
    View image on Twitter

Moy
    @happynibbamoy
    Embedded video
    8:33 PM - Jan 6, 2020
    110 people are talking about this
    The fourth "Matrix" installment is scheduled to begin filming in February, and it looks like some of the scenes might take place in Alameda as well as San Francisco. It makes sense: A car chase scene in the 2003 sequel, "The Matrix: Reloaded," was filmed in the Posey Tube connecting Oakland and Alameda.

Last month, the San Francisco Film Commission told SFGATE a major film production – which, ironically enough, has the working title of "Project Ice Cream" – would be shooting around the same time. Industry trade magazine Production Weekly confirmed "Project Ice Cream" was the working title of "Matrix 4."

On Wednesday, an Alameda city official confirmed to SFGATE that Warner Bros. had previously obtained "the right permits to do filming" there but could not provide further comment.

Reeves was also reportedly spotted at the Big 5 Sporting Goods location on Park Street the following day.

"Matrix 4" is slated for release on May 21, 2021, the same weekend as "John Wick 4." Keanu fans can look forward to "Bill and Ted 3" later in August.

Keanu was one of our cover masters, for Matrix no less. That was our Hong Kong meets Hollywood Special Issue.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips