Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Matrix Resurrections

Hybrid View

The Matrix Resurrections

There's a vid that reiterates this exclusive.

MARCH 14, 2017 6:13pm PT by Borys Kit, Kim Masters, Rebecca Ford
    'The Matrix' Reboot in the Works at Warner Bros. (Exclusive)
    Pause
    Mute
    Current Time 0:04
    /
    Duration Time 0:37
    Loaded: 0%Progress: 0%

The 1999 sci-fi movie is coming back.

More Matrix? Bet on it.

It’s still not clear what shape the project will take, but sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Warner Bros. is in the early stages of developing a relaunch of The Matrix, the iconic 1999 sci-fi movie that is considered one of the most original films in cinematic history, with Zak Penn in talks to write a treatment.

Sources say there is potential interest in Michael B. Jordan to star, but much must be done before the project is ready to go.

At this point, the Wachowski siblings, who wrote and directed the original and its two sequels, are not involved and the nature of their potential engagement with a new version has not been determined. Certainly, Warners would want the two filmmakers to give at minimum a blessing to the nascent project. The studio had no comment.

Joel Silver, who produced the original trilogy, is said to have approached Warners about the idea of mining The Matrix for a potential new film. However, Silver sold his interest in all his movies to the studio in 2012 for about $30 million, according to sources. Warners is said to be leery of including him in any meaningful role, as he not only has a reputation for budget-control issues, but apparently has a strained relationship with the Wachowskis. The siblings hold much more meaning for fans than the producer. Silver's reps did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Written and directed by the Wachowskis, the original movie sees humanity living in a simulated reality, unaware that humans are in pods in which their bodies are being harvested for energy. A computer programmer named Neo (Keanu Reeves) slowly becomes aware of this suppressed existence, eventually becoming humanity’s one true hope (Neo = One) to overthrow the oppressors. The pic also starred Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss and Hugo Weaving.

The Matrix was released in a quiet period of the 1999 release calendar — March 31 — and Warner Bros. didn’t have outsized expectations for an action movie with obvious Manga and comic-book influences. But the story and ground-breaking special effects (including the slow-motion "bullet time" effect, which launched dozens of imitators in the years that followed) became the highest grossing R-rated film of 1999 in North America, and the fourth-highest grossing film of the year worldwide. It also won four Academy Awards.

Two sequels, Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions, were not as well received, but Reeves’ deal for those films made him one of the richest actors in Hollywood.

While promoting John Wick: Chapter 2, Reeves said he would be open to returning for another installment of the franchise if the Wachowskis were involved. "They would have to write it and direct it. And then we’d see what the story is, but yeah, I dunno, that’d be weird, but why not?” he told Yahoo Movies. However, it is likely that Warners will look elsewhere to attract an A-list director and star.

While some at Warners consider the title among the studio’s sacrosanct properties, such as Casablanca, others see a need to redevelop it in an environment where studios are desperately looking for ways to monetize their libraries and branded IP is hard to come by.

The idea of adapting The Matrix as a television series was nixed in recent months. But Warner Bros. sees a model in what Disney and Lucasfilm have done with Star Wars, exploring the hidden corners of the universe with movies such as Rogue One: A Star Wars Story or the in-production young Han Solo film. Perhaps a young Morpheus movie could come out of the exploration, as an example.

Penn is a writer with deep roots in the geeky genres in which Matrix travels. He created the Syfy network’s super-powered show Alphas and has been involved in comic book movies ranging from the X-Men franchise to The Avengers.

Penn is repped by UTA.

MAY 1999

THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS: The End of the Wachowski Brothers But Not Yuen Woo-Ping by Dr. Craig Reid

Matrix Didn't Suck: REVOLUTIONS spoilers
    The Ultimate MATRIX: RELOADED thred (Major Spoilers)

There are more Matrix links & threads, but this will do for now.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Jet & the Matrix

TRENDING
    Jet Li says he rejected The Matrix because he didn’t want his kung fu moves digitally recorded
    Martial arts superstar explained the decision in a recent interview with Chinese media

Remember Seraph from The Matrix? The kung fu fighting Guardian of the Oracle could have been played by Jet Li… until he realized the filmmakers might have wanted to digitally preserve all his martial arts moves.

The role of Seraph went to Taiwan actor Collin Chou. No offense to Keanu Reeves, but Seraph’s moves are so much more fluid that those of Neo’s.

In his latest interview with famed Chinese anchor Chen Luyu, Li revealed his reason for turning down the big role in The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolution.

“It was a commercial struggle for me,” Li said, “I realized the Americans wanted me to film for three months but be with the crew for nine. And for six months, they wanted to record and copy all my moves into a digital library.”

He added, “By the end of the recording, the right to these moves would go to them.”

Li said back then, he was already worried that future technology would allow US filmmakers to digitally reproduce his moving body and superimpose the face of any actor onto it.

“I was thinking: I’ve been training my entire life. And we martial artists could only grow older. Yet they could own [my moves] as an intellectual property forever. So I said I couldn’t do that,” Li said.

This isn’t the first time that Li has talked about his decision to reject the role.

In 2002, he told the BBC he thought the movie was going to be great with or without him. The next year, he told CNN that he wanted to use the time to film the martial arts epic Hero instead.

Li’s recent appearance followed news of his declining health earlier this year.

The 55 year-old Beijing-born actor has been suffering from hyperthyroidism and spinal problems. Pictures of Li’s almost unrecognizably frail appearance emerged on Weibo earlier this year, sending shockwaves across the web.

Li’s manager later came out and said Li was “completely fine” despite his battle with hyperthyroidism.

Jet Li before and now. (Picture: SCMP/Facebook)

Li did appear to be in high spirits during his recent interview. That could bode well for the Hollywood icon who is slated to be part of Disney's upcoming live-action Mulan.
    THREADS:
    Li Lian Jie (Jet Li)
    The Matrix Reboot
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our newest exclusive web article

It was 20 years ago. READ Wude: Leveraging the Vexations of Our Modern-day MATRIX by Williy Pang

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wude is an ancient concept that would do well to be emphasized in modern times. With the present day political climate, children who are raised by video games and a culture that oversells everything for the sake of mere profit, VIRTUE is a word nearly lost to the present generations. Thanks, Gene for resurrecting this article as its content, IMHO, is more relevant and worthy of our consideration than ever. Make America (and the world) virtuous again...

peace

herb ox

Such a tease...

‘John Wick’ Director Hopeful Lana and Lilly Wachowski Return for Fourth #Matrix Movie
    "The Matrix" last graced the big screen in 2003 with trilogy-ender "The Matrix Revolutions."
    Zack Sharf
    May 10, 2019 11:17 am
    @zsharf

“The Matrix”
    Warner Bros.

Update 2:00pm ET: Chad Stahelski’s reps tell IndieWire the director was misquoted in his Yahoo Movies UK interview. His answers were hypothetical and he was speaking about his desire for the Wachowskis to return and not confirming they were involved.

Are Lana and Lilly Wachowski gearing up to revive their iconic “Matrix” franchise on the big screen? No official word has come from the directing duo, but “John Wick” director Chad Stahelski tells Yahoo Movies UK that’s the plan at the moment. News broke in March 2017 that Warner Bros. was eyeing a “Matrix” reboot with Michael B. Jordan in contention for the leading role. The Wachowskis were not attached to the project at the time but according to Stahelski that has changed.

“I’m super happy that the Wachowskis are not just doing a ‘Matrix,’ but they’re expanding what we all loved,” Stahelski told Yahoo Movies UK. “And if it’s anywhere near the level of what they’ve already done, it wouldn’t take more than a call to go, ‘Hey, we want you to be a stunt guy’ and I would probably go and get hit by a car.”

Stahelski said he’s not positive whether or not the Wachowskis will return as the directors of the film (“I’m not sure of the overall. I’m not sure if Lana is”), but he assured fans Lana and Lilly will be involved creatively in some capacity with bringing their beloved film franchise back to life on the big screen.

“Yeah,” the director said when asked if the Wachowskis are involved. “And if they wanted help, I would absolutely put down whatever I was doing to help them.”

Stahelski worked as a stunt performer on the original “Matrix” trilogy and has since made a name for himself as the director of the “John Wick” movies. The director’s newest action franchise has kept him busy working with original “Matrix” star Keanu Reeves. “The Matrix” launched in 1999 and was heralded as a game-changing blockbuster due to its use of pioneering visual effects. The original won four Oscars and grossed $463 million worldwide. Two sequels followed, “The Matrix Reloaded” and “The Matrix Revolutions,” both of which were released theatrically in 2003. The films spawned successful video games and books as well. It’s still unclear whether or not a fourth “Matrix” movie would be a prequel, although that was the original rumor.

IndieWire has reached out to the Wachowskis’ representatives for further comment.
    THREADS
    The Matrix Reboot
    John Wick 3: Parabellum
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

still teasin

The Wachowski's Are Reportedly Set To Direct The New MATRIX Movie with Michael B. Jordan
    4 Days Ago by Joey Paur

Last month John Wick director Chad Stahelski said that The Matrix revival film was moving forward at Warner Bros. and that The Wachowski’s would be involved in some way. He is quoted as saying:

“I’m super happy that the Wachowskis are not just doing a Matrix, but they’re expanding what we all loved. And if it’s anywhere near the level of what they’ve already done, it wouldn’t take more than a call to go, ‘Hey, we want you to be a stunt guy’ and I would probably go and get hit by a car.”

It was later reported that the this comment was inaccurate and taken out of context. But, maybe it wasn’t! Discussing Film, who has reported several scoops that turn out to be true, says that not only are the Wachowski’s involved, they are directing it!

They go on to report that the film will start shooting in early 2020 in Chicago. Apparently they have been secretly prepping the movie under the working title “Project Ice Cream”.

None of this has been confirmed by the studio, but I actually wouldn’t mind seeing the Wachowski’s return to direct the next installment of the franchise. Sure, The Matrix sequels weren’t the greatest, but that doesn’t mean that can’t com back and make another badass Matrix movie! If anyone is going to take on The Matrix revival, the creators of the franchise should be the ones to do it.

Zak Penn (Ready Player One) is writing the script for the film and Michael B. Jordan is still said to be attached to star in it. Plot details are under wraps but, “the project is already beginning to fill out its crew with Hugh Bateup, who was an art director on 1999’s ‘The Matrix’ set to return to the franchise as the production designer for this film.”

What do you all think about the possibility of The Wachowskis returning to direct The Matrix revival?
    I was just thinking I should revisit the trilogy. I remember the first film well enough but the others are a blur now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wick vs. Neo

'Flash' and 'Matrix 4' Get Release Dates
    DECEMBER 11, 2019 12:19PM by Aaron Couch, Borys Kit

Ezra Miller as The Flash in 'Justice League' (left), Keanu Reeves in 'The Matrix' | Warner Bros./Photofest

Warner Bros. has also undated 'Akira,' which was put on pause when filmmaker Taika Waititi signed on for a fourth 'Thor' movie over the summer.

Warner Bros. has announced release dates for two of its upcoming tentpoles, The Flash and the latest Matrix sequel.

The untitled Matrix film is set to open May 21, 2021, while the long-gestating Flash movie is set to bow July 1, 2022. The studio has also undated Akira, the manga adaptation that has Taika Waititi attached to direct but was put on hold in July when the filmmaker signed on to helm a fourth Thor film for Marvel Studios. It previously was slated for the date now occupied by the Matrix pic.

In a strange twist, the Matrix sequel is now set to go against Lionsgate's John Wick: Chapter 4, with both films starring Keanu Reeves. Matrix co-creator Lana Wachowski is directing the upcoming Matrix effort, which also stars Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Carrie-Anne Moss, Neil Patrick Harris and Jada Pinkett Smith.

Meanwhile, Wednesday's announcement marks the latest release-date shuffle for The Flash, which has long-struggled in its development process. Ezra Miller stars as the DC Comics speedster and made his first appearance in a cameo in 2016’s Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. The studio had initially planned to get a solo outing ready for a 2018 release but creative challenges and musical chairs for the director's seat kept pushing any start of production back. And back again. It filmmaker Andy Muschietti is on board as director now, with a shoot planned for next year.

Additionally, Warner Bros. has moved the release of its Mortal Kombat reboot up six weeks to Jan. 15, 2021, and has also dated an untitled project about political activist Fred Hampton for Aug. 21, 2020.

The Hollywood Reporter
    AARON COUCH
    aaron.couch@thr.com
    @AaronCouch
    BORYS KIT
    @borys_kit
    THREADS
    John Wick 4 May 21, 2021
    Matrix 4 May 21, 2021

Mortal Kombat August 20, 2020
    Akira undated
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Keanu is in town?!?

'Matrix 4' Could Be Filming In San Francisco In 2020
    DECEMBER 9, 2019
    Dallas

Frank Micelotta / Staff

CATEGORIES: Bay Area News Entertainment

UPDATE: 'Matrix 4' star Keanu Reeves has been spotted in Alameda this week. Potentially filming for the new film.

Jennifer Nutefall
    @SCULibrarian
    Breaking news from the Bay Area: I have heard from reliable sources that Keanu Reeves is staying in Alameda (the island. By Oakland.) while filming Matrix IV. Also breaking news, I did not realize there was going to be a Matrix IV

8:06 AM - Jan 7, 2020
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    See Jennifer Nutefall's other Tweets
    Keanu Planet
    @keanuplanet
    Keanu Reeves in Alameda (near #SanFrancisco), California - Jan 7 2020#keanureeves #California
    Thanks @mr_reeves_blog 🙏https://twitter.com/happynibbamoy/st...401151488?s=19https://twitter.com/happynibbamoy/st...564172800?s=19

@happynibbamoy
    Replying to @happynibbamoy @idk510
    Embedded video
    6:20 AM - Jan 8, 2020
    49 people are talking about this
    In August we found out that 'Matrix 4' was officially a go with Keanu Reeves & Carrie-Anne Moss reprising their roles & Lana Wachowski returning to write and direct the film. It also might return to the Bay Area for filming.

SFGate

@SFGate
    Is 'Matrix 4' going to film in San Francisco? http://dlvr.it/RKyjsB

12:36 PM - Dec 9, 2019
    18 people are talking about this
    2003's 'The Matrix: Reloaded' filmed in the Posey Tube between Oakland & Alameda and now SF Gate is reporting that the film's fourth installment could be filming in San Francisco under the codename 'Project Ice Cream'.

The SF Film Commission has said that a major project with that working title will film in SF starting in February 2020, but it is not yet known where, or when exactly filming will take place, but go ahead & keep an eye out.
    Project Ice Cream needs to shoot at Tiger Claw.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This is all over our local news

Keanu Reeves was spotted eating ice cream in Alameda ahead of filming 'Matrix 4'

By Amanda Bartlett, SFGATE Updated 4:30 pm PST, Wednesday, January 8, 2020

FILE - Keanu Reeves arrives for the world premiere of "Toy Story 4" at El Capitan theatre in Hollywood, California on June 11, 2019. The actor was reportedly hanging out in Alameda ahead of shooting next month for "Matrix 4." Photo: Valerie Macon, AFP/Getty Images

Red pill or blue pill? It appears Keanu Reeves chose neither during a recently confirmed sighting in Alameda.

Instead, he opted for a scoop of ice cream at the Baskin-Robbins location on Blanding Avenue.

Video shared to Twitter Monday evening shows the "Always Be My Maybe" actor casually seated on the curb outside of the ice cream chain, enjoying his cone in solitude. (Later, he was kind enough to pose for a photo with a young fan.)

A Baskin-Robbins employee named Abby told KTVU Reeves had walked into the shop around 5 p.m. that day. While she didn't get to see Reeves herself, she said her colleague who was working the evening shift "freaked out" and "didn't know how to act" when he saw the actor walk up to the counter. After the fact, a large sum of money was apparently left in the tip jar.

Moy
    @happynibbamoy
    · Jan 6, 2020
    Replying to @idk510
    View image on Twitter

Moy
    @happynibbamoy
    Embedded video
    8:33 PM - Jan 6, 2020
    110 people are talking about this
    The fourth "Matrix" installment is scheduled to begin filming in February, and it looks like some of the scenes might take place in Alameda as well as San Francisco. It makes sense: A car chase scene in the 2003 sequel, "The Matrix: Reloaded," was filmed in the Posey Tube connecting Oakland and Alameda.

Last month, the San Francisco Film Commission told SFGATE a major film production – which, ironically enough, has the working title of "Project Ice Cream" – would be shooting around the same time. Industry trade magazine Production Weekly confirmed "Project Ice Cream" was the working title of "Matrix 4."

On Wednesday, an Alameda city official confirmed to SFGATE that Warner Bros. had previously obtained "the right permits to do filming" there but could not provide further comment.

Reeves was also reportedly spotted at the Big 5 Sporting Goods location on Park Street the following day.

"Matrix 4" is slated for release on May 21, 2021, the same weekend as "John Wick 4." Keanu fans can look forward to "Bill and Ted 3" later in August.

Keanu was one of our cover masters, for Matrix no less. That was our Hong Kong meets Hollywood Special Issue.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

talk about your lousy scheduling conflicts...

Hugo Weaving explains why he wasn’t in ‘Avengers: Endgame’ and won’t be appearing in the new ‘Matrix’
    By Andrzej Lukowski
    Posted: Monday January 20 2020, 4:53pm

Photo: Warner Bros.

One of Australia’s most respected actors, Hugo Weaving is known for his turns in some of the most successful movie franchises of all time. His non-appearance in them has also been noted: after originating the character of Red Skull in 2011‘s ‘Captain America’, he failed to reprise the character in ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ and ‘Avengers: Endgame’. The directors of the films, Joe and Anthony Russo, confirmed that he had been approached, but did not elaborate as to why he’d turned them down. Speculation has also been rife as to whether his iconic Agent Smith will return for the imminent fourth ‘Matrix’ film.

In an interview with Time Out to promote his upcoming role in the National Theatre’s hotly anticipated ‘The Visit’ opposite Lesley Manville (which you can read in our February 4 issue), he said that he’d turned down Marvel because it offered him less than what he was contracted for to reprise the role. He also shed some light on his absence from the new ‘Matrix’ film. Read on for that Hugo Weaving-related disappointment in full.

The most recent interview with you I’ve seen on the subject said you weren’t doing the new ‘Matrix’ film, but that was a couple of years ago… are you still not doing it?

‘I’m not, no…’

Also, it was widely noted that you weren’t in the last two ‘Avengers’ films – presumably they tried to get you?

‘Oh, yeah. I loved playing that character Red Skull – it was a lot of fun. We were all obliged to sign up for three pictures: I was thinking [Red Skull] probably wouldn’t come back in “Captain America” but he may well come back as a villain in “The Avengers”. By then, they’d pushed back on the contracts that we agreed on and so the money they offered me for “The Avengers” was much less than I got for the very first one, and this was for two films. And the promise when we first signed the contracts was that the money would grow each time. They said: “It’s just a voice job, it’s not a big deal”. I actually found negotiating with them through my agent impossible. And I didn’t really wanna do it that much. But I would have done it.’

He then went on to volunteer the following about the so-far untitled new ‘The Matrix’ film.

‘“The Matrix” is a very different story. It’s unfortunate but actually I had this offer [for “The Visit”] and then the offer came from “The Matrix”, so I knew it was happening but I didn’t have dates. I thought [I] could do both and it took eight weeks to work out that the dates would work – I held off on accepting [a role in “The Visit” during that time]. I was in touch with [director] Lana Wachowski, but in the end she decided that the dates weren’t going to work. So we’d sorted the dates and then she sort of changed her mind. They’re pushing on ahead without me.’

You hear that, Mr Anderson? That is the sound of clashing schedules. Allay any disappointment by catching Weaving in ‘The Visit’, which runs at the National Theatre, Fri Jan 31-May 13.

By Andrzej Lukowski
    Andrzej Lukowski has been the theatre and dance editor of Time Out London since 2013.
    THREADS
    Matrix 4
    Avengers: Endgame
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Woah, Keanu! If you're in town, give me a holla!

I was just in SF last Saturday and I'm going back tonight. Next time I go back, I'll start watching for Neo... or that woman in the red dress.

The Matrix 4 to Begin Shooting with Keanu Reeves in San Francisco Next Month
    RYAN SCOTT — January 27, 2020 in MOVIE NEWS

The Matrix 4 is gearing up to begin filming next month. We learned officially last August, after much discussion, that Warner Bros. was gearing up to dust off the classic sci-fi franchise for another installment. Not a reboot. Rather, Keanu Reeves will be returning as Neo, with Carrie-Anne Moss also reprising her role as Trinity. Now, we have word that production is looking to get underway sooner rather than later on what could be one of the most significant franchise revivals in recent memory.

According to a new report, a casting call from Dwyer Casting was recently put out, which was on the lookout for background extras for something called Project Ice Cream. Filming is set to take place between February 5 and March 1 in San Francisco, California, per the casting call. As it just so happens, Project Ice Cream is the working title being used for The Matrix 4. So, while that certainly wasn't the intended purpose, this has revealed that cameras will get rolling in the very near future.

At present, few details have been made available about the sequel. We know Lana Wachowski, who co-directed the original Matrix trilogy alongside her sister, Lily Wachowski, is returning to helm the project. Lily Wachowski, so far as we know, will not be involved. Other returning cast members from the past include Jada Pinkett Smith as Niobe and, quite possibly, Lambert Wilson as The Merovingian. New cast members include Max Riemelt (Berlin Syndrome), Jessica Henwick (Iron Fist), Jonathan Groff (Mindhunter), Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother), Toby Onwumere (Empire) and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (Watchmen). It's rumored that Abdul-Mateen will be playing a young Morpheus, but that has yet to be confirmed.

No plot details have been revealed at this time. We did recently hear that Hugo Weaving won't be returning as Agent Smith. However, the actor did reveal that there was a part for him, he just couldn't work it out in terms of scheduling. This comes at a time when studios are desperately searching for franchises that can deliver at the box office, as the marketplace has become unpredictable. Disney has been dominating the competition, as they have an army of franchises and IP that can attract big crowds. Bearing that in mind, the time seems right for Keanu Reeves to have another crack at The Matrix.

Released in 1999, The Matrix went on to become a massive blockbuster hit and, more than that, a seminal, genre-defining sci-fi classic. The sequels, The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions, both released in 2003, failed to live up to the original in the eyes of many fans and critics. To date, the franchise has grossed more than $1.6 billion at the global box office. The Matrix 4 is set to hit theaters on May 21, 2021. We'll be sure to keep you posted as any further details on the project are made available. This news comes to us via HN Entertainment.

Ryan Scott at Movieweb
    Writer of various things on the internet (mostly about movies) since 2013. Major lover of popcorn flicks. Avid appreciator of James Bond, Marvel and Star Wars. Has a tremendously fat cat named Buster and still buys CDs. I’ve got my reasons.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Priyanka

There's an embedded vid for this, not a pic.

JANUARY 28, 2020 11:02AM PT
    Priyanka Chopra Jonas in Final Negotiations to Join ‘Matrix 4’ (EXCLUSIVE)
    By MATT DONNELLY
    Senior Film Writer
    @MattDonnelly

Priyanka Chopra Jonas is taking the red pill.

The actress and international beauty icon is in final talks to join the cast of the untitled fourth film in the Matrix saga, the Wachowskis’ game-changing action franchise, insiders close to negotiations said.

The Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow film is being directed by series co-creator Lana Wachowski. She’ll join the previously announced Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Neil Patrick Harris. Details about her prospective character are currently under wraps.

The “Matrix 4” cast has been in fight training for weeks for production start, which will begin imminently in Northern California.

Chopra Jonas is a National Film Award winner with more than 60 films to her credit. Her U.S. television debut was on the ABC drama “Quantico,” which ran for three seasons. Chopra Jonas made history as the first Indian-born actor to star as the lead of a primetime network series and won a People’s Choice Award for this role in 2016. She was featured on the cover of TIME magazine’s coveted TIME 100 issue in 2016, named as one of the “Most Influential People” in the world, and recognized as one of Forbes Most Powerful Women.

Chopra Jonas recently starred in and co-produced “The Sky is Pink,” an indie in the official selection at the Toronto International Film Festival. She’ll next be seen in Netflix’s “We Can Be Heroes,” from by Robert Rodriguez, and an adaptation of the Man Booker Prize winning novel “The White Tiger,” which she is also executive producing. She’s also developing an Indian wedding comedy with Mindy Kaling and Dan Goor for Universal, in which she is set to star and co-produce. She’ll film “Matrix 4” concurrently in tandem with “Citadel,” an Amazon series with Richard Madden from the Russo brothers.

Chopra Jonas runs her own production company, Purple Pebble Pictures, which is headquartered in Mumbai and Los Angeles. She is repped by manager Anjula Acharia, UTA, and Grubman Shire.
    Apart from Quantico, Priyanka has yet to get a fair shake on a good role in Hollywood. She's an excellent actress. If you want to see her really act, check out the Bollywood film Barfi (2012).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Keanu sightings

SF lost the superbowl but we got Keanu.

Keanu Reeves back in San Francisco as ‘Matrix’ filming underway
    BAY AREA
    by: Alexa Mae Asperin
    Posted: Feb 5, 2020 / 12:07 PM PST / Updated: Feb 5, 2020 / 12:38 PM PST

SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) – It apparently looks like filming for the reported next installment of “The Matrix” is underway in San Francisco!

It’s all lights, camera, and action for Keanu Reeves and the rest of the “Matrix 4” cast near Columbus Avenue and Kearny Street, where a full-on film crew was spotted.

The crew was seen near the popular “House of Nanking” restaurant.

People in the area say they’re thrilled to see Keanu as movie production continues Wednesday.

Haaziq Madyun
    @KRON4HMadyun
    “And Action” Matrix film crew at work in SF ⁦@kron4news⁩

10:41 AM - Feb 5, 2020
    23 people are talking about this
    Haaziq Madyun
    @KRON4HMadyun
    In the flesh ⁦@kron4news⁩

11:13 AM - Feb 5, 2020
    18 people are talking about this
    Just last month Keanu was spotted eating ice cream in Alameda, sparking rumors that filming for the new movie was just around the corner.

Keanu and co-star Carrie-Ann Moss are both reprising their iconic roles for the film, which is slated for release on May 21, 2021.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A trans story

How 'The Matrix' is a trans story, according to Netflix and co-director
    By Rory Sullivan, CNN
    Updated 10:24 AM ET, Fri August 7, 2020

Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss star in "The Matrix," which was released in 1999.

(CNN)Netflix has posted a Twitter thread explaining the trans themes in "The Matrix," after one of its co-directors confirmed earlier this week that the movie was an allegory for gender transition.
    Lilly Wachowski, who co-wrote and co-directed the film with her sister Lana Wachowski, told the streaming service about the intention behind the sci-fi movie in an interview posted on YouTube Tuesday.
    Both sisters came out as trans several years after the release of the blockbuster movie.
    Speaking 21 years after the first "Matrix" hit our screens, Wachowski said that the story was "all about the desire for transformation," adding that it came from "a closeted point of view" because the corporate world was not ready to hear the message at the time.
    Following her comments, Netflix wrote about the allegory in a series of messages posted on Twitter on Thursday, making use of insights offered by writers and critics.
    The thread cites the movie's main character Neo as a good example of the trans narrative.
    "Upon 'waking up,' Neo begins his transition from one identity -- Thomas A. Anderson, a name given to him by the machines -- to the one he sculpts for himself -- Neo, his chosen name," one post reads.
    Netflix also lists the use of pills as part of the wider allegory.
    In one of the movie's most famous scenes, Neo is offered a red pill or a blue pill by the rebel leader Morpheus.
    He decides to choose the red one, which will allow him to see the truth, rather than the blue one, which will keep him in ignorance.
    The pill is his "gateway to seeing the world as it is and the systems built to define and control his identity" and is also "an apt metaphor for hormone therapy," one message in the thread says.
    Wachowski said that she was glad people are speaking about the trans narrative in the "Matrix" movies.
    "I love how meaningful those films are to trans people and the way that they come up to me and say: 'These movies saved my life,'" she told Netflix.
    The upcoming "Matrix 4" will see the return of original cast members Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss. It is to be directed by Lana Wachowski.
    The Wachowski message was even more clear in Sense8
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

No Fishburne

Laurence Fishburne Explains Why He Won’t Appear in ‘The Matrix 4
    “I wish them well. I hope it’s great,” Fishburne said
    Trey Williams | August 17, 2020 @ 10:14 AM

Getty Images

Laurence Fishburne will not take another trip down the rabbit hole. The actor told New York Magazine that he “has not been invited” to reprise his iconic role in Lana Wachowski’s “The Matrix” sequel.

“I have not been invited. Maybe that will make me write another play. I wish them well. I hope it’s great,” Fishburne told the publication.

Of his role as Morpheus in the original “The Matrix” trilogy, Fishburne said: “It is probably the role that I’ll be best remembered for, which is great; it’s not the only thing I’ll be remembered for, which is better. What I get with him is I’ve got Darth Vader in this hand, and I’ve got Obi-Wan in that hand. I’ve got Bruce Lee, I’ve got Muhammad Ali shuffled in there, and I’ve got kung fu.”

The plot, and details of the still-untitled sequel have been kept under wraps, but it’s expected to continue from the original trilogy. It’s unclear where it would pick up, but one reason Fishburne’s red pill, blue pill wielding character wouldn’t appear in “The Matrix 4” might be because he dies of gunshot wounds in “The Matrix Online,” a multiplayer online role-playing game that the Wachowskis blessed as a continuation of the films’ storyline. Though popular belief suggests that his death was faked.

Lana Wachowski is directing “The Matrix” sequel from a script she penned with Aleksandar Hemon (“Sense8”) and David Mitchell (“Sense8”). Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Jada Pinkett-Smith are reprising their roles from the original trilogy, and the film has added big names such as Jonathan Groff, Priyanka Chopra, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, and Neil Patrick Harris.

In June, as a result of delays from the coronavirus shutdown, Warner Bros. said it was halting the 2021 release of the film, pushing it to spring 2022.

The three previous films in the franchise — “The Matrix” from 1999, “The Matrix Reloaded” and “The Matrix Revolutions,” both from 2003 – have earned more than $1.6 billion at the global box office and were all top-10 domestic hits in their respective years of release.

“It’s the old story in a modern context,” Fishburne said of “The Matrix.” “It’s the One, the Christ, the Buddha, the Godhead, the fully realized being told through the digital age.”
    A gentlemanly response.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips