Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Matrix Resurrections

talk about your lousy scheduling conflicts...

Hugo Weaving explains why he wasn’t in ‘Avengers: Endgame’ and won’t be appearing in the new ‘Matrix’
    By Andrzej Lukowski
    Posted: Monday January 20 2020, 4:53pm

Photo: Warner Bros.

One of Australia’s most respected actors, Hugo Weaving is known for his turns in some of the most successful movie franchises of all time. His non-appearance in them has also been noted: after originating the character of Red Skull in 2011‘s ‘Captain America’, he failed to reprise the character in ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ and ‘Avengers: Endgame’. The directors of the films, Joe and Anthony Russo, confirmed that he had been approached, but did not elaborate as to why he’d turned them down. Speculation has also been rife as to whether his iconic Agent Smith will return for the imminent fourth ‘Matrix’ film.

In an interview with Time Out to promote his upcoming role in the National Theatre’s hotly anticipated ‘The Visit’ opposite Lesley Manville (which you can read in our February 4 issue), he said that he’d turned down Marvel because it offered him less than what he was contracted for to reprise the role. He also shed some light on his absence from the new ‘Matrix’ film. Read on for that Hugo Weaving-related disappointment in full.

The most recent interview with you I’ve seen on the subject said you weren’t doing the new ‘Matrix’ film, but that was a couple of years ago… are you still not doing it?

‘I’m not, no…’

Also, it was widely noted that you weren’t in the last two ‘Avengers’ films – presumably they tried to get you?

‘Oh, yeah. I loved playing that character Red Skull – it was a lot of fun. We were all obliged to sign up for three pictures: I was thinking [Red Skull] probably wouldn’t come back in “Captain America” but he may well come back as a villain in “The Avengers”. By then, they’d pushed back on the contracts that we agreed on and so the money they offered me for “The Avengers” was much less than I got for the very first one, and this was for two films. And the promise when we first signed the contracts was that the money would grow each time. They said: “It’s just a voice job, it’s not a big deal”. I actually found negotiating with them through my agent impossible. And I didn’t really wanna do it that much. But I would have done it.’

He then went on to volunteer the following about the so-far untitled new ‘The Matrix’ film.

‘“The Matrix” is a very different story. It’s unfortunate but actually I had this offer [for “The Visit”] and then the offer came from “The Matrix”, so I knew it was happening but I didn’t have dates. I thought [I] could do both and it took eight weeks to work out that the dates would work – I held off on accepting [a role in “The Visit” during that time]. I was in touch with [director] Lana Wachowski, but in the end she decided that the dates weren’t going to work. So we’d sorted the dates and then she sort of changed her mind. They’re pushing on ahead without me.’

You hear that, Mr Anderson? That is the sound of clashing schedules. Allay any disappointment by catching Weaving in ‘The Visit’, which runs at the National Theatre, Fri Jan 31-May 13.

By Andrzej Lukowski
    Andrzej Lukowski has been the theatre and dance editor of Time Out London since 2013.
    THREADS
    Matrix 4
    Avengers: Endgame
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Woah, Keanu! If you're in town, give me a holla!

I was just in SF last Saturday and I'm going back tonight. Next time I go back, I'll start watching for Neo... or that woman in the red dress.

The Matrix 4 to Begin Shooting with Keanu Reeves in San Francisco Next Month
    RYAN SCOTT — January 27, 2020 in MOVIE NEWS

The Matrix 4 is gearing up to begin filming next month. We learned officially last August, after much discussion, that Warner Bros. was gearing up to dust off the classic sci-fi franchise for another installment. Not a reboot. Rather, Keanu Reeves will be returning as Neo, with Carrie-Anne Moss also reprising her role as Trinity. Now, we have word that production is looking to get underway sooner rather than later on what could be one of the most significant franchise revivals in recent memory.

According to a new report, a casting call from Dwyer Casting was recently put out, which was on the lookout for background extras for something called Project Ice Cream. Filming is set to take place between February 5 and March 1 in San Francisco, California, per the casting call. As it just so happens, Project Ice Cream is the working title being used for The Matrix 4. So, while that certainly wasn't the intended purpose, this has revealed that cameras will get rolling in the very near future.

At present, few details have been made available about the sequel. We know Lana Wachowski, who co-directed the original Matrix trilogy alongside her sister, Lily Wachowski, is returning to helm the project. Lily Wachowski, so far as we know, will not be involved. Other returning cast members from the past include Jada Pinkett Smith as Niobe and, quite possibly, Lambert Wilson as The Merovingian. New cast members include Max Riemelt (Berlin Syndrome), Jessica Henwick (Iron Fist), Jonathan Groff (Mindhunter), Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother), Toby Onwumere (Empire) and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (Watchmen). It's rumored that Abdul-Mateen will be playing a young Morpheus, but that has yet to be confirmed.

No plot details have been revealed at this time. We did recently hear that Hugo Weaving won't be returning as Agent Smith. However, the actor did reveal that there was a part for him, he just couldn't work it out in terms of scheduling. This comes at a time when studios are desperately searching for franchises that can deliver at the box office, as the marketplace has become unpredictable. Disney has been dominating the competition, as they have an army of franchises and IP that can attract big crowds. Bearing that in mind, the time seems right for Keanu Reeves to have another crack at The Matrix.

Released in 1999, The Matrix went on to become a massive blockbuster hit and, more than that, a seminal, genre-defining sci-fi classic. The sequels, The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions, both released in 2003, failed to live up to the original in the eyes of many fans and critics. To date, the franchise has grossed more than $1.6 billion at the global box office. The Matrix 4 is set to hit theaters on May 21, 2021. We'll be sure to keep you posted as any further details on the project are made available. This news comes to us via HN Entertainment.

Ryan Scott at Movieweb
    Writer of various things on the internet (mostly about movies) since 2013. Major lover of popcorn flicks. Avid appreciator of James Bond, Marvel and Star Wars. Has a tremendously fat cat named Buster and still buys CDs. I’ve got my reasons.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Priyanka

There's an embedded vid for this, not a pic.

JANUARY 28, 2020 11:02AM PT
    Priyanka Chopra Jonas in Final Negotiations to Join ‘Matrix 4’ (EXCLUSIVE)
    By MATT DONNELLY
    Senior Film Writer
    @MattDonnelly

Priyanka Chopra Jonas is taking the red pill.

The actress and international beauty icon is in final talks to join the cast of the untitled fourth film in the Matrix saga, the Wachowskis’ game-changing action franchise, insiders close to negotiations said.

The Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow film is being directed by series co-creator Lana Wachowski. She’ll join the previously announced Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Neil Patrick Harris. Details about her prospective character are currently under wraps.

The “Matrix 4” cast has been in fight training for weeks for production start, which will begin imminently in Northern California.

Chopra Jonas is a National Film Award winner with more than 60 films to her credit. Her U.S. television debut was on the ABC drama “Quantico,” which ran for three seasons. Chopra Jonas made history as the first Indian-born actor to star as the lead of a primetime network series and won a People’s Choice Award for this role in 2016. She was featured on the cover of TIME magazine’s coveted TIME 100 issue in 2016, named as one of the “Most Influential People” in the world, and recognized as one of Forbes Most Powerful Women.

Chopra Jonas recently starred in and co-produced “The Sky is Pink,” an indie in the official selection at the Toronto International Film Festival. She’ll next be seen in Netflix’s “We Can Be Heroes,” from by Robert Rodriguez, and an adaptation of the Man Booker Prize winning novel “The White Tiger,” which she is also executive producing. She’s also developing an Indian wedding comedy with Mindy Kaling and Dan Goor for Universal, in which she is set to star and co-produce. She’ll film “Matrix 4” concurrently in tandem with “Citadel,” an Amazon series with Richard Madden from the Russo brothers.

Chopra Jonas runs her own production company, Purple Pebble Pictures, which is headquartered in Mumbai and Los Angeles. She is repped by manager Anjula Acharia, UTA, and Grubman Shire.
    Apart from Quantico, Priyanka has yet to get a fair shake on a good role in Hollywood. She's an excellent actress. If you want to see her really act, check out the Bollywood film Barfi (2012).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Keanu sightings

SF lost the superbowl but we got Keanu.

Keanu Reeves back in San Francisco as ‘Matrix’ filming underway
    BAY AREA
    by: Alexa Mae Asperin
    Posted: Feb 5, 2020 / 12:07 PM PST / Updated: Feb 5, 2020 / 12:38 PM PST

SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) – It apparently looks like filming for the reported next installment of “The Matrix” is underway in San Francisco!

It’s all lights, camera, and action for Keanu Reeves and the rest of the “Matrix 4” cast near Columbus Avenue and Kearny Street, where a full-on film crew was spotted.

The crew was seen near the popular “House of Nanking” restaurant.

People in the area say they’re thrilled to see Keanu as movie production continues Wednesday.

Haaziq Madyun
    @KRON4HMadyun
    “And Action” Matrix film crew at work in SF ⁦@kron4news⁩

10:41 AM - Feb 5, 2020
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    23 people are talking about this
    Haaziq Madyun
    @KRON4HMadyun
    In the flesh ⁦@kron4news⁩

11:13 AM - Feb 5, 2020
    18 people are talking about this
    Just last month Keanu was spotted eating ice cream in Alameda, sparking rumors that filming for the new movie was just around the corner.

Keanu and co-star Carrie-Ann Moss are both reprising their iconic roles for the film, which is slated for release on May 21, 2021.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

SF is Keanu Planet

Here's where Keanu Reeves is filming in San Francisco right now for 'Matrix 4'
    By Amanda Bartlett, SFGATE Published 12:20 pm PST, Thursday, February 6, 2020

Photo: Erin Carlson
    IMAGE 1 OF 30

On Wednesday, Keanu Reeves talks to the camera crew as a Muni bus drives by during filming for "Matrix 4" at Columbus Avenue in North Beach.

Crossing the intersection of Kearny Street and Columbus Avenue. Popping into House of Nanking in Chinatown. Chatting with a camera crew in front of a Muni bus in North Beach.

On Wednesday, Keanu Reeves made several appearances in downtown San Francisco while in town to shoot "Matrix 4" — otherwise known as "Project Ice Cream" — alongside co-star Carrie-Ann Moss, and some locals were lucky enough to bump right into him on their walk to work.

Keanu Planet
    @keanuplanet
    🎥The Matrix 4 filming in San Francisco! - Feb 5 2020
    Thanks to @dougdalton IG Story🙏https://instagram.com/dougdalton?igshid=3ex6wgjvdkfc …#thematrix4 #matrix4 #KeanuReeves #SanFrancisco

Embedded video
    12:34 PM - Feb 5, 2020
    896 people are talking about this
    Erin Carlson, editor of the Nob Hill Gazette, told SFGATE she was strolling down Columbus Avenue during her morning commute when she noticed a medium-sized crowd had formed around people filming.

"What could draw this much interest from otherwise jaded, seen-it-all San Franciscans? KEANU," Carlson said in an e-mail.

The sequence was being shot across the street from the Sentinel Building and Cafe Zoetrope, an area Carlson described as "steeped in film history." Francis Ford Coppola reportedly bought the building in 1973 after he wrote the screenplay for "The Godfather" inside the restaurant. The top floor continues to serve as a space for his film studio, American Zoetrope, which produced George Lucas' pre-"Star Wars" sci-fi thriller "THX 1138" and some of Coppola's own works, including "Apocalypse Now" and "Bram Stoker's Dracula."

Keanu Planet
    @keanuplanet
    🎥 #TheMatrix4 filming in #SanFrancisco! - Feb 5 2020
    Many thanks to @sfexaminer 🙏 : "Matrix stars #KeanuReeves and #CarrieAnneMoss were spotted in #Chinatown today as they filmed scenes for the upcoming sequel (📷: @peacepandaz)"https://instagram.com/sfexaminer?igshid=h806xvnqs1hl …#matrix4 #houseofnanking

3:27 PM - Feb 5, 2020
    437 people are talking about this
    Fans swarmed the area during filming for "Matrix 4," after which Carlson said some seemingly exasperated crew members handling crowd control shooed them away from Reeves. She quickly snapped a photo of him chatting with the crew as a city bus drove by.

"He looked amazing, with perfect hair and skin," said Carlson. "A crew member said, 'We're trying to work.' I walked away wanting to know his skincare routine."

Elsewhere in Chinatown, Reeves was seen sauntering past Wayne's Liquors and ducking into Grasslands Bar & Lounge in a video released by ABC7. Between takes, fans eagerly looked on and attempted to take photos as he paused to sip some coffee and smoke a cigarette.

Keanu Planet
    @keanuplanet
    · Feb 5, 2020
    Replying to @keanuplanet
    🎥The Matrix 4 filming in San Francisco! - Feb 5 2020
    Thanks to @chames_the_iii (IG Story) 🙏
    Thanks @keanu_theclub for sharing 💚https://instagram.com/chames_the_iii...=121z661aplvj1 …#thematrix4 #matrix4 #LanaWachowski #wachowski #KeanuReeves #SanFrancisco

Embedded video

Keanu Planet
    @keanuplanet
    https://twitter.com/lilitan/status/1...761625089?s=19
    LiLi Tan

@lilitan
    Do we think Keanu is a coffee or tea kind of guy? #matrix @nbcbayarea

Embedded video
    2:15 PM - Feb 5, 2020
    29 people are talking about this
    Instead of Neo’s typical dystopian all-leather look, though, Reeves blended in with the business casual crowd, sporting a t-shirt under a blazer with jeans and a black beanie — something John Wick would surely be more likely to wear — which puzzled some fans. Would there be a crossover universe?

Others were simply happy to see the actor, regardless.

“It was beautiful,” one of them said of the spectacle in an interview with NBC.

While the scenes being shot this week appear to be fairly low-key, some particularly action-packed moments are scheduled for filming over a two-day period later this month on Sansome Street. Periodic filming will take place through Sunday, March 31, and the movie will come out on May 21, 2021.

Amanda Bartlett is an SFGATE associate digital reporter. Email: amanda.bartlett@sfgate.com | Twitter: @byabartlett
    I watched Keanu's The Whole Truth over last weekend. It was a courtroom drama and I totally predicted the mcguffin.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

homeless

Getting homeless types in SF shouldn't be too hard.

Matrix 4 extras asked to dress as 'homeless types,' required to run all night for minimum wage
    Dan Gentile, SFGATE|on February 14, 2020

Actor Keanu Reeves is shown in a scene from Warner Bros. Pictures futuristic action thriller "The Matrix Reloaded," in this undated promotional photo. Photo: AP
    Photo: AP

Actor Keanu Reeves is shown in a scene from Warner Bros. Pictures futuristic action thriller "The Matrix Reloaded," in this undated promotional photo.

San Francisco has been on Keanu Watch ever since rumors first surfaced that actor Keanu Reeves would be in town to shoot "Project Ice Cream," a code name that has officially melted away to reveal itself as the next Matrix movie. Naturally the movie needs extras, but if you want to step up for the job, you'll need stamina. And also a very insensitive wardrobe.

Dwyer Casting posted a listing in late January announcing a call for extras, and last night in an email obtained by SFGATE, the group detailed exactly who they're looking for. The call for the roles of "additional runners" requires availability all afternoon and night from today through Sunday. But be warned, extras will be "RUNNING the same blocks and hills over and over again WITHOUT looking Tired [sic]!"

Running all night is a tough ask, especially for a non-union pay rate of $124.72 for an eight hour shift (exactly SF minimum wage), but the more problematic aspect is the costuming. Extras are instructed to come dressed as "homeless types, people in PJ's, pedestrians, business types, or fitness/gym types."

It's understandable that a film needs extras of all varieties, but given San Francisco's housing crisis, the listing comes off as particularly tone deaf. Still, it's a given that many will flock to the opportunity, given that these scenes will likely be some of the film's most dramatic.

To apply for this, and other potential extra roles, visit MyCastingFile.com.

Dan Gentile is a digital editor at SFGate. Email: Dan.Gentile@sfgate.com | Twitter: @Dannosphere
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More in SF

You have to follow the link for the vid.

Video of 'Matrix 4' stunt doubles leaping from SF skyscraper isn’t for the faint of heart
    By Amanda Bartlett, SFGATE Published 12:06 pm PST, Sunday, February 16, 2020

Photo: Erin Carlson
    Earlier this month, Keanu Reeves was seen talking to the camera crew as a Muni bus drives by during filming for "Matrix 4" at Columbus Avenue in North Beach.

Haven’t caught any of the “Matrix 4” action sequences filming in downtown San Francisco yet? You might want to look up.

In a shocking video shared to Reddit on Saturday afternoon, two stunt doubles for the film — appearing to stand in for Keanu Reeves and Carrie Ann Moss — were seen leaping off the top of 44 Montgomery in the Financial District, a dizzying 43 stories from the streets below. Tethered to harnesses rigged up to a sturdy wire, one of the actors grabs the hand of their partner as they bounce in mid-air before being hoisted back to the top of the skyscraper — presumably to do it all over again.

Watch below:

Meanwhile, the actors have been staying busy at street level. Last night, another Reddit user was able to capture Reeves hitching a ride on the back of Moss’ motorcycle as they zipped down Sansome Street, with crew and cameras — and director Lana Wachowski — in tow.

“I was there and watched them circle back around 6 times. They were filming a block up. The cops were just escorting them back to the scene,” wrote user TheCaliHaze. “They’d film down the road then loop back around.”

Elsewhere in the Financial District Sunday night, two low-flying helicopters with sound effects will be conducting flyovers from 6 p.m. to midnight, according to notifications from AlertSF. They’ll be gliding at altitudes between 300 and 1,500 feet.

As for the rest of the week, shooting will consist of (even more) precision driving and helicopters, as well as pyrotechnics, controlled crashes and simulated gunfire, according to FilmSF location manager Simon Lake.

A notice issued by the film commission office verified street closures today on Front Street between Sacramento and Pine from 2 p.m. until 8 p.m.

Here are the other designated filming areas, where activity is scheduled to take place tonight through Monday morning. Intersections marked with (*) will start filming at 5 p.m. and wrap up by midnight.

California between Sansome and Kearny

Clay between Sansome and Kearny*

Commercial between Sansome and Kearny

Leidesdorff between Clay and Pine

Merchant between Montgomery and Kearny*

Montgomery between Clay and Bush

Montgomery between Sacramento and California

Montgomery between Washington and Clay*

Sacramento between Sansome and Kearny

Spring between Sacramento and California

Pine between Front and Montgomery

Pine between Sansome and Kearny
    And here’s where scenes are being shot next weekend through March 2:

Battery between California and Market

Bush between Montgomery and Battery

Fremont between Market and Mission

Front between California and Market

Davis between California and Market

Leidesdorff between California and Pine

Pine between Montgomery and Market

Sansome between Sacramento and Market
    “We want to thank you in advance for your cooperation and for supporting the film industry in San Francisco,” wrote Lake. In the meantime, you can catch a glimpse of some all-black, identically dystopian vehicles — props for the film — being stashed at the Transbay Terminal.

Amanda Bartlett is an SFGATE associate digital reporter. Email: amanda.bartlett@sfgate.com | Twitter: @byabartlett
    This happened right outside a friend of mine's workplace. She posted some vids on her social media.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Matrix unloaded

'The Matrix' Reboot Shuts Down Production Due to Coronavirus Crisis

MARCH 16, 2020 10:58AM by Borys Kit

'The Matrix' (1999) | Courtesy of Photofest

The movie was shooting in San Francisco but moved to Berlin in early March for the completion of its shoot.
    Warner Bros. Pictures’ reboot of The Matrix has been shut down until further notice, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

The movie, currently titled The Matrix 4, was shooting in San Francisco but moved to Berlin in early March for the completion of its shoot.

No shooting was underway but the production was in prep mode.

The move follows the studio’s decision earlier Monday to postpone the start of production on the latest chapter of J.K. Rowling’s Fantastic Beasts. That shoot was set to begin Monday in London.

Warner Bros. also paused production on The Batman, also shooting in London. That movie had been seven weeks into its shoot.

The major studios began pausing their major productions late last week as a response to the growing pandemic. On Friday, Disney suspended all live-action productions, including The Little Mermaid and Marvel Studios' Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.

Sony paused preproduction on the action comedy The Man From Toronto on Saturday, while Netflix has put Red Notice on hiatus and Blumhouse has hit the brakes on its thriller, Vengeance, which is being directed by B.J. Novak.

Lana Wachowski is directing The Matrix 4, which reunites Keanu Reeves and Carrie Anne-Moss and also has Yahya Abdul-Mateen II on its roll call. The pic is scheduled for release on May 21, 2021, but it is unclear whether the shutdown will change that.
    THREADS
    Matrix 4
    covid-19
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A trans story

How 'The Matrix' is a trans story, according to Netflix and co-director
    By Rory Sullivan, CNN
    Updated 10:24 AM ET, Fri August 7, 2020

Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss star in "The Matrix," which was released in 1999.

(CNN)Netflix has posted a Twitter thread explaining the trans themes in "The Matrix," after one of its co-directors confirmed earlier this week that the movie was an allegory for gender transition.
    Lilly Wachowski, who co-wrote and co-directed the film with her sister Lana Wachowski, told the streaming service about the intention behind the sci-fi movie in an interview posted on YouTube Tuesday.
    Both sisters came out as trans several years after the release of the blockbuster movie.
    Speaking 21 years after the first "Matrix" hit our screens, Wachowski said that the story was "all about the desire for transformation," adding that it came from "a closeted point of view" because the corporate world was not ready to hear the message at the time.
    Following her comments, Netflix wrote about the allegory in a series of messages posted on Twitter on Thursday, making use of insights offered by writers and critics.
    The thread cites the movie's main character Neo as a good example of the trans narrative.
    "Upon 'waking up,' Neo begins his transition from one identity -- Thomas A. Anderson, a name given to him by the machines -- to the one he sculpts for himself -- Neo, his chosen name," one post reads.
    Netflix also lists the use of pills as part of the wider allegory.
    In one of the movie's most famous scenes, Neo is offered a red pill or a blue pill by the rebel leader Morpheus.
    He decides to choose the red one, which will allow him to see the truth, rather than the blue one, which will keep him in ignorance.
    The pill is his "gateway to seeing the world as it is and the systems built to define and control his identity" and is also "an apt metaphor for hormone therapy," one message in the thread says.
    Wachowski said that she was glad people are speaking about the trans narrative in the "Matrix" movies.
    "I love how meaningful those films are to trans people and the way that they come up to me and say: 'These movies saved my life,'" she told Netflix.
    The upcoming "Matrix 4" will see the return of original cast members Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss. It is to be directed by Lana Wachowski.
    The Wachowski message was even more clear in Sense8
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

No Fishburne

Laurence Fishburne Explains Why He Won’t Appear in ‘The Matrix 4
    “I wish them well. I hope it’s great,” Fishburne said
    Trey Williams | August 17, 2020 @ 10:14 AM

Getty Images

Laurence Fishburne will not take another trip down the rabbit hole. The actor told New York Magazine that he “has not been invited” to reprise his iconic role in Lana Wachowski’s “The Matrix” sequel.

“I have not been invited. Maybe that will make me write another play. I wish them well. I hope it’s great,” Fishburne told the publication.

Of his role as Morpheus in the original “The Matrix” trilogy, Fishburne said: “It is probably the role that I’ll be best remembered for, which is great; it’s not the only thing I’ll be remembered for, which is better. What I get with him is I’ve got Darth Vader in this hand, and I’ve got Obi-Wan in that hand. I’ve got Bruce Lee, I’ve got Muhammad Ali shuffled in there, and I’ve got kung fu.”

The plot, and details of the still-untitled sequel have been kept under wraps, but it’s expected to continue from the original trilogy. It’s unclear where it would pick up, but one reason Fishburne’s red pill, blue pill wielding character wouldn’t appear in “The Matrix 4” might be because he dies of gunshot wounds in “The Matrix Online,” a multiplayer online role-playing game that the Wachowskis blessed as a continuation of the films’ storyline. Though popular belief suggests that his death was faked.

Lana Wachowski is directing “The Matrix” sequel from a script she penned with Aleksandar Hemon (“Sense8”) and David Mitchell (“Sense8”). Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Jada Pinkett-Smith are reprising their roles from the original trilogy, and the film has added big names such as Jonathan Groff, Priyanka Chopra, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, and Neil Patrick Harris.

In June, as a result of delays from the coronavirus shutdown, Warner Bros. said it was halting the 2021 release of the film, pushing it to spring 2022.

The three previous films in the franchise — “The Matrix” from 1999, “The Matrix Reloaded” and “The Matrix Revolutions,” both from 2003 – have earned more than $1.6 billion at the global box office and were all top-10 domestic hits in their respective years of release.

“It’s the old story in a modern context,” Fishburne said of “The Matrix.” “It’s the One, the Christ, the Buddha, the Godhead, the fully realized being told through the digital age.”
    A gentlemanly response.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Neo didn't know...

In all fairness, Lilly probably didn't know back then when she was Andy. She was probably sorting it out for herself at the time too.

Keanu Reeves Didn’t Know The Matrix Was a Trans Allegory
    “I miss her,” Reeves said of Matrix codirector Lilly Wachowski, who revealed the film’s deeper meaning in a recent interview.
    BY YOHANA DESTA
    AUGUST 27, 2020

COURTESY OF WARNER BROS/COURTESY EVERETT COLLECTION.

Two decades after The Matrix was originally released, codirector and cowriter Lilly Wachowski finally revealed the franchise was a trans allegory. “That was the original intention,” she told Netflix in August, adding that she kept mum about it largely because the “corporate world wasn’t ready for it.” The revelation isn’t new to superfans of The Matrix, who have long viewed the film through that particular allegorical lens after Lilly and her sister, Matrix codirector and writer Lana, came out as trans after the franchise wrapped up. But it’s brand new to star Keanu Reeves, who played Neo in the series.

In an interview with Variety, Reeves said he wasn’t aware about the film’s allegorical nature.

“No. That idea wasn’t introduced to me when we started for production on the films,” he said. “Lilly never shared that with me.”

Reeves is currently in Berlin filming the fourth Matrix movie, directed by Lana; Lilly is not formally involved in the production. In the Variety interview, Reeves clarified that he hasn’t watched her Netflix interview, so he doesn’t know the finer details of the concept. “I haven’t seen her interview or anything or read what she’s spoken about on it, [but] I miss her,” he said. “I miss her not being here, but I get it as well.”

In the Netflix interview, Lilly gave rare insight into the billion-dollar film franchise, which starred Reeves as a hacker trapped in a simulated version of reality, known as the Matrix. The narrative “was all about the desire for transformation, but it was all coming from a closeted point of view,” Lilly said, confirming fan theories.

“I don’t know how present my transness was in the background of my brain as we were writing it,” Lilly added. “We were always living in a world of imagination. That’s why I gravitated toward sci-fi and fantasy and played Dungeons and Dragons. It was all about creating worlds. It freed us up as filmmakers because we were able to imagine stuff at that time that you didn’t necessarily see onscreen.”

Elements of The Matrix have become woven into broader popular culture, from poppier elements like its cyberpunk aesthetic, to its gravity-defying special effects. The alt-right, however, has co-opted the concept of the red pill, to the degree that Ivanka Trump and Elon Musk both tweeted about it in May. Lilly, who has largely stayed quiet about the co-opting, quickly got on Twitter and issued a sharp retort to the duo. “**** both of you,” she tweeted.

The fourth Matrix film will see Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss, and Jada Pinkett Smith return to the fold, alongside franchise newcomers like Neil Patrick Harris, Jonathan Groff, and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II. (Laurence Fishburne, who played Morpheus, told Vulture he would not be joining the cast.) “The writers [David Mitchell and Aleksandar Hemon] and the director [Lana] have come up with a beautiful, beautiful story,” Reeves told Variety. “It’s really thrilling to be making a Matrix movie.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

HBO Max

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Christina Ricci

Christina Ricci Joins Star-Studded The Matrix 4 Cast
    BY ANTHONY NASH ON JUNE 5, 2021

(Photo by Frazer Harrison/Getty Images)

The Matrix 4 may not have an official name or much information, but its cast is beginning to round out.

According to a recent casting announcement from Warner Bros. (via Collider), Christina Ricci is the latest actress to land a role in the highly anticipated sequel. Details of her character remain unknown, but she’ll join an already star-studded cast in a film that has high aspirations.

The Matrix 4 will be featuring the return of Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss, and Jada Pinkett Smith, reprising their iconic roles as Neo, Trinity, and Niobe. The film will also star newcomers Priyanka Chopra Jonas, Jessica Henwick, Neil Patrick Harris, Toby Onwumere, and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, who is rumored to be playing young Morpheus. It was recently teased that should scheduling work out, Lambert Wilson could possibly return for The Matrix 4 as the villain, the Merovingian.

Plot details on the fourth live-action film in The Matrix franchise haven’t been revealed, and given the ending of 2003’s The Matrix Revolutions it’s not a clear-cut answer.

The three previous films—The Matrix (1999), The Matrix Reloaded (2003), and The Matrix Revolutions (2003)—have earned more than $1.6 billion at the global box office and were all top-10 domestic hits in their respective years of release. The Matrix Revolutions was also the first film ever to release simultaneously in every major country at the same hour around the world.

Originally scheduled for a May 21, 2021 release, The Matrix 4 has now been pushed back to December 22, 2021, due to the temporary production shutdown caused by the ongoing pandemic.
    I approve.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Matrix Resurrections – Official Trailer 1

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

SF premiere

Sep 22, 2021 7:38am PT
    ‘The Matrix Resurrections’ to Have U.S. Premiere in San Francisco (EXCLUSIVE)

By Marc Malkin

Screengrab courtesy of Warner Bros.
    Welcome to this week’s “Just for Variety.”

It sounds like Michelle Obama will appear on the final season of “Black-ish.” After star Anthony Anderson teased the possibility when I caught up with him at the Television Academy’s pre-Emmy party for performer nominees, sources tell me that the former first lady’s appearance isn’t a done deal just yet, but they’re close to finalizing the details any day now.

I’m also hearing that after Keanu Reeves was seen shooting “The Matrix Resurrections” in the Bay Area, sources tell me that Warner Bros. will hold the film’s U.S. premiere in San Francisco on Dec. 18. Details, including the location, are still being worked on. The fourth installment of the sci-fi film franchise sees the return of Reeves as well as Carrie-Anne Moss. Directed and co-written by Lana Wachowski, the new cast includes Neil Patrick Harris, Priyanka Chopra Jonas, Christina Ricci and Jonathan Groff. “The Matrix Resurrections” will be released in theaters and on HBO Max on Dec. 22.
    Oh man. Here's a premiere I'd love to get into.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips