Thread: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Guardians of the Galaxy
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

James Gunn Confirms Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Will Happen
    SPENCER PERRY MAR 15, 2017

Shocking few, director James Gunn has confirmed in a new interview that Marvel Studios will (at an undisclosed point) make a Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.

“There will be a Guardians 3, that’s for sure,” Gunn tells Complex, echoing comments from last year. “We’re trying to figure it out. I’m trying to figure out what I want to do really, that’s all it is. I got to figure out where I want to be, what I want to spend the next three years of my life doing. You know, I’m going to make another big movie; is it the Guardians or something else? I’m just going to figure it out over the next couple of weeks.

In addition, Gunn spoke about the addition of the Guardians to the upcoming Avengers: Infinity War, saying:

“You know listen, I don’t think we should overstate things that it is an Avengers movie, but the Guardians are a part of the cosmic universe, they’re a part of Thanos’ stories, so, they are in there, and they have, not the biggest, but, an integral part to that.”

Gunn will bring the Guardians back to the big screen with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on May 5. The film sees the return of Chris Pratt as Star-Lord, Zoe Saldana as Gamora, Dave Bautista as Drax, Vin Diese as the voice of Groot, Bradley Cooper as the voice of Rocket, Michael Rooker as Yondu, Karen Gillan as Nebula, and Sean Gunn as Kraglin. New cast members include Pom Klementieff as Mantis, Elizabeth Debicki as Ayesha, Chris Sullivan as Taserface, and Kurt Russell as Ego, the Living Planet.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

on hold

‘Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3’ Production Put on Hold After Director’s Firing
    Crew members that assembled to begin pre-production on third installment given permission to seek other work as Disney searches for new director
    By DANIEL KREPS

David Bautista, Zoe Saldana, Pom Klementieff, Chris Pratt, James Gunn, Kurt Russell, Karen Gillan and Michael Rooker'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2' film premiere, Arrivals, Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK - 24 Apr 2017
    James Gourley/REX/Shutterstock

Production on Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 has been put on hold after Disney and Marvel fired director James Gunn over years-old lewd tweets.

According to Variety, a handful of crew members hired to begin pre-production on the third installment of the blockbuster in Atlanta were dismissed from the project and given permission to look for other work. Filming on the project was scheduled to begin in early 2019, although no release date had been set.

The Hollywood Reporter labeled the pause on production as “temporary” and a “regrouping” of sorts following Gunn’s July 20th firing, which came after several alt-right social media personalities unearthed nearly decade-old tweets where Gunn – a vocal Donald Trump critic – joked about pedophilia, transgender people and more.

Gunn issued a statement following his firing from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 where the director accepted responsibility for his actions. “My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative,” Gunn said. “I have regretted them for many years since — not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don’t reflect the person I am today or have been for some time.”

Despite Gunn’s firing, nearly all the major actors from the franchise bound together to pen an open letter lobbying for the director’s reinstatement. However, a mid-August meeting between Gunn and Disney did not result in reconciliation. Part of the production delay is likely due to Marvel and Disney trying to find a director to enter into what could be a toxic situation: Actor Dave Bautista, who plays Drax in the franchise, has routinely chided Disney over Gunn’s firing on Twitter.

Variety added that while Gunn won’t direct Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3, it’s still likely that his script will be used on the film.

Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 isn’t the only blockbuster in danger of an indefinite delay: After the upcoming 25th James Bond film parted ways with director Danny Boyle over creative differences, it’s unlikely that movie will make its scheduled October 2019 release date.
    Been following the Bond 25 situation too.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Circling the city of Jericho

Of course it's happening. No studio would pass up that kind of bank potential. Whether it's consistently good is another matter entirely.

There's a vid behind the link.
    FEBRUARY 2, 2019 1:13PM PT
    Chris Pratt Promises There Will Be a ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3’
    By ERIN NYREN
    Staff Editor
    @ecnyren

Chris Pratt braved the rainy Los Angeles skies Saturday to attend the “Lego Movie 2” premiere, where he assured fans that they will get a third “Guardians of the Galaxy” film.

When Variety‘s Marc Malkin asked if a third film could be made without James Gunn, Pratt said, “I promise there’ll be a third movie, I don’t know exactly what that’s going to look like, but I know everyone on board is just eager to give the fans what they want and wrap up a trilogy in a meaningful way.”

Whether or not a third “Guardians” would happen was thrown into question after director James Gunn was fired for years-old tweets appearing to make light of pedophilia and rape. Gunn apologized for the tweets, writing in a statement, “Regardless of how much time has passed, I understand and accept the business decisions taken today. Even these many years later, I take full responsibility for the way I conducted myself then. All I can do now, beyond offering my sincere and heartfelt regret, is to be the best human being I can be…To everyone inside my industry and beyond, I again offer my deepest apologies.” The cast of “Guardians” penned a letter to Disney asking them to rehire Gunn, and several of the actors spoke out in support of the director, but Disney stood firm on his dismissal.

Production of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” was put on hold in August of last year, with Marvel and Disney telling the less than 20 crew members who had assembled for pre-production that they were free to look for other work.

But things could be looking up for the embattled film.

“We’re still circling the city of Jericho, I like to say,” Pratt added.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gunn reinstated

Disney Reinstates Director James Gunn For ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 3’
    by Mike Fleming Jr
    March 15, 2019 11:00am

Y
    Disney

EXCLUSIVE: Redemption and second chances have long been superhero movie staples, and today it looks like life has imitated art. I’ve learned that Disney has reinstated James Gunn as the writer-director of Guardians of the Galaxy 3, and I’ve confirmed it with Marvel and Gunn’s camp.

Shutterstock

The decision to rehire Gunn –he was fired last July by Disney after alt-right journalists made public a fusillade of decade old social media missives that made light of pedophilia and rape — was one that was mulled and actually made months ago, following conversations with Disney studio leadership and the team at Marvel Studios. Why the change of heart? After the firing, Walt Disney Studios president Alan Horn met with Gunn on multiple occasions to discuss the situation. Persuaded by Gunn’s public apology and his handling of the situation after, Horn decided to reverse course and reinstate Gunn.

The social media messages were indefensible, but the filmmaker never did anything but blame himself for poor judgment displayed at a time when he was emerging from the Troma film factory and attempting to be a provocateur. There were no reports that Gunn ever engaged in the behavior he lampooned. Unlike the defensive posture exhibited by Kevin Hart that led him to skip hosting the Oscars, Gunn fell on his sword early and often and never lashed out at Disney.

Ultimately, Gunn’s missives were poorly chosen words and not actions, though Disney’s quick trigger was completely understandable when the social media messages were first reported by outlets like Fox News. Those outlets reported that Gunn’s missives were exposed as payback for Gunn being a vocal critic of President Donald Trump.

Gunn’s return to Guardians of the Galaxy 3 got complicated when he signed on to write and direct the Suicide Squad sequel for Warner Bros and DC. Marvel Studios has agreed to commence production on Guardians of the Galaxy 3 after Gunn completes Suicide Squad 2. Making the whole thing easier though was the fact that Marvel Studios never met with or considered any other director for Guardians of the Galaxy 3, despite speculation that Thor: Ragnarok helmer Taika Waititi and Vice helmer Adam McKay were in the mix.

Marvel Studios

Marvel Studios has remained mum on all details concerning Guardians of the Galaxy 3, as the Kevin Feige-led division turned its focus toward Captain Marvel and Avengers: Endgame. Marvel this week set Destin Daniel Cretton to direct Shang-Chi.

Prior to his dismissal, Gunn had written a script which Marvel confirmed would be used for the third Guardians of the Galaxy installment. I expect Gunn to confirm all this as he supports the release of Brightburn, the David Yarovevsky-directed Elizabeth Banks-starrer that he produced and Sony releases May 24.

Disney

There will be an inevitable chorus of those who will gripe about Gunn’s return, but creatively, Guardians will benefit from his return. The entire cast of the film was outspoken in its desire to have Gunn back, saying that those satiric tweets did not match his personal actions. The cast clearly loves him; Chris Pratt, Zoey Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Sean Gunn, Michael Rooker and Pom Klementieff all pleaded for Gunn’s return, in an open letter. The controversy shattered the camaraderie that the cast had with the filmmaker and put a strongly performing franchise in limbo. Marvel has done a great job allowing its filmmakers to inject their personalities into each franchise, and perhaps none has been as stamped by one filmmaker as Gunn on the Guardians franchise. The first two installments grossed over $1.6 billion worldwide, with the sequel out grossing the first picture.

Soon after the announcement of Gunn’s firing, fans circulated a petition urging Disney to reconsider. On October 31st, a fan crowdfunded billboard went up in Anaheim, CA to rehire Gunn.

Disney is days from closing its acquisition of the assets of Fox and while the company will always be family first, it is somehow reassuring that there is room for second chances, and for a good director to have a chance to overcome a colossally stupid mistake.

UTA and The Safran Company rep Gunn.

This was the apology Gunn delivered last July: “My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative. I have regretted them for many years since — not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don’t reflect the person I am today or have been for some time. Regardless of how much time has passed, I understand and accept the business decisions taken today. Even these many years later, I take full responsibility for the way I conducted myself then. All I can do now, beyond offering my sincere and heartfelt regret, is to be the best human being I can be: accepting, understanding, committed to equality, and far more thoughtful about my public statements and my obligations to our public discourse. To everyone inside my industry and beyond, I again offer my deepest apologies. Love to all.”
    Mindful speech. Whatever happened to that?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | New Trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest exclusive film review on KungFuMagazine.com

If you can't make it to TCEC, READ GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3: James Gunn’s Endgame by Gene Ching

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips