Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simple techniques vs complex strategies

How much do you want to invest in your training?

As a writer, I revel in the complex. There's just more intellectual challenge there. Plus I'm not physically that big, so the simple stuff is easily overpowered by bigger fighters doing the same simple stuff. That's frustrating. But as a general rule of thumb, I like to train complex and apply simply. Does that make sense? I could offer a more complex explanation but I feel it best to keep this simple.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Blades ? Gene ! You are not even close to his level.
    Wait...what? How did I get drawn into this?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    As a writer, I revel in the complex. There's just more intellectual challenge there. Plus I'm not physically that big, so the simple stuff is easily overpowered by bigger fighters doing the same simple stuff. That's frustrating. But as a general rule of thumb, I like to train complex and apply simply. Does that make sense? I could offer a more complex explanation but I feel it best to keep this simple.

Wait...what? How did I get drawn into this?
    If you train TCMA, you are training in complex stuff. Then tightening it up in application and delivering it simply.
    So, yes, it makes sense.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The movements of Kung Fu are complex for sure. What I mean here is applying them in fighting. In my own opinion they become very simple in real applications both in theory and technique. For example, all the complex stances done in forms and basics, in reality the concept is to keep balance and remain on you feet. All the intricate hand movements, wind up looking like boxing when used in sparring and even fighting, with the exception that open hand strikes and targeting illegal areas in a real life encounter.

So why do all these fancy movements if it boils down to simple concepts and movements in reality? I think that they are all training the attributes. If you can do complex stances and footwork than simple shuffles become much easier etc.. The thing is should a form teach 15 to 20 different fighting strategies or a few simple concepts? I Have seen both ways of training and theories.
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 04-14-2017 at 05:35 PM.