Got a question for you all. In your opinion which is better, to have a small amount of simple techniques and a lot of practical training, or to have a lot of complex strategies but with far less particle training. Reason I ask is this. In my years of training I am not purely a kung fu guy. I have done Korean karate and Japanese's JJ for a long time, and have done cross training in grappling boxing and others.

I remember a while back telling my older brother I was doing a little ...... kung fu system, and he was like with all these strategies what if you get in a fight with some tough guy and just get your ass kicked. My brother is an animal not tall, but like 210 solid ,crazy ,has had lots of violent fights, even KOed a famous NFL football player with a wrestling LD. Few sane people trained or not would want to face my brother in a fight.

If any of you have ever been in any real fights, analyze the techniques you used. Pretty simple right? Good example is the old school UFC matches. Anyone remember a fighter named Keith Hackney? He was a Kempo Karate guy that won two fights and did well against Royce Gracie. His first fight was against a 600 pound sumo fighter. Did he use Karate in his fight? He did, he used a back fist, hammer fist, palm heal strike, some low kicks and some footwork. Did it look anything like a scene in a BloodSport type movie? Not at all. In his second fight was similar. He used some low kicks, a sweep[when being choked], some hook punches to the groin and a finger choke, but all in all it looked really simple.

I like the expression KISS, keep it simple stupid. I do forms and weapons forms, love them but my core fighting techniques are pretty simple. I also hit pads, do strength training[traditional] and spar, do two man drills...... I think the important point of all these fancy mystical training methods is conditioning. Look at Kyokushin karate guys, they don't hide secrets, how many kung fu guys want to fight a good Kyokushin fighter?