Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Central Line Bong Sau vs. Center Line Bong Sau

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Precisely because he sidestepped across the incoming red attack line.

The green lines mark the paths his feet take. They are not circular. They are straight out to the side, perpendicular to the opponent's line of attack.

He adjusts facing ever so slightly, because he has stepped away and wouldn't be able to reach anymore otherwise.

But his steps and body mass are going perpendicularly away from the target, not around a circle.

WTF? No, it's not.

I should have extended the lines further, or added another for his hips, so your brain could handle it.

His feet are stepping directly sideward along those lines. His hips and spine are going where his feet take him.

He is not moving forward toward the opponent at all, nor around a circle.
    You are clearly just arguing for argument's sake alone now! Your own illustration proved you wrong and you won't even acknowledge it!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    You are clearly just arguing for argument's sake alone now! Your own illustration proved you wrong and you won't even acknowledge it!
    No. The illustration makes his linear sidesteps perpendicular to the incoming attack line undeniably clear to anyone with normal brain-power.

No. The illustration makes his linear sidesteps perpendicular to the incoming attack line undeniably clear to anyone with normal brain-power.

All while showing him following the perimeter of a circle without moving further away from the opponent. Funny how that works.

Please keep this exchange in mind the next time someone explains what they don't like about a Phillip Bayer video and you start down the line of "you clearly don't know what you are looking at because you don't know WSLVT"!!!

All while showing him following the perimeter of a circle without moving further away from the opponent. Funny how that works.
    It doesn't work.

A straight line does not follow the perimeter of a circle.

He is moving away from the opponent, but the opponent is advancing toward him.

Ya know what's so Frikin cool about bong sau.? It's its position in the VT periodic table. It is a kind of interchange structure. The likes of which are both subtle and gross. I've known bong sau to be as a puff of smoke. Or a fork lift of total structure domination.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

I can't think of another VT structure as mesmerizing and dividing
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

A straight line does not follow the perimeter of a circle.

And....going by the illustration that you provided....Phil is not moving in a straight line! Geez LFJ, just admit you don't know what you're talking about. Its OK, really!

And....going by the illustration that you provided....Phil is not moving in a straight line!
    You mean the illustration of the two straight lines his feet are following?!

Your cognitive dissonance must be overwhelming, unless you are seriously lacking the brain-power to comprehend an extremely simple illustration.

You mean the illustration of the two straight lines his feet are following?!

Your cognitive dissonance must be overwhelming, unless you are seriously lacking the brain-power to comprehend an extremely simple illustration.
    Man! You are really something. His feet are clearly NOT following the illustrations you provided. I pointed that out already. Yet you are so set in your opinions that you can't even admit that! But again, you just go on believing whatever you want!

Sorry but I see Phils feet moving in a straight line as shown by the green lines in the clip.
    I do not however see any movement backwards.
    From the clip it appears that Phil is stepping off to one side while the opponent advances or steps forward.
    Phils position remains relatively the same with the exception of stepping to the side.
    He does not retreat but the opponent does step forward which lessens the distance which is offset by the side step.
    I also think it is a bit of a reach to say Phil is using circling in the example. The clip would seem to indicate that his feet remain relatively the same using the two green lines in the clip. He moves side-wards but does so in a straight line.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Sorry but I see Phils feet moving in a straight line as shown by the green lines in the clip.
    I do not however see any movement backwards.
    From the clip it appears that Phil is stepping off to one side while the opponent advances or steps forward.
    Phils position remains relatively the same with the exception of stepping to the side.
    He does not retreat but the opponent does step forward which lessens the distance which is offset by the side step.
    I also think it is a bit of a reach to say Phil is using circling in the example. The clip would seem to indicate that his feet remain relatively the same using the two green lines in the clip. He moves side-wards but does so in a straight line.
    Exactly. It is a linear sidestep.

Backward is his rear foot moving in the direction his heel is pointing.
    It's backward with reference to his stance and facing, not his position relative to the opponent.

Gotta say...I see what LFJ is depicting.

Quote Originally Posted by wckf92 View Post
    Gotta say...I see what LFJ is depicting.
    This is what I wrote before:

When Phil does his Bong his lead foot is well behind your red/green cross-hatch. When he does his punch his lead foot is in front of that red/green cross-hatch. As I said. Both his feet are on the perimeter of a circle, with the opponent standing near the center of that circle. He is not taking linear sidesteps. He is stepping along the perimeter of the circle as your own illustration clearly shows. When he makes the second part of the step after the Bong, his hips are moving forward with the punch as his body mass moves around the perimeter of the circle. Again, just look at your own illustration. When starts his Bong his lead hip is at your back green line. When he does his punch his rear hip is clearly closer to your front green line. Nice illustration. Is supports what I have been saying. You are just working hard to deny what is actually happening in the video just for the sake of arguing.

Look at Phil's lead foot. You guys honestly don't see this????

This is what I wrote before:

When Phil does his Bong his lead foot is well behind your red/green cross-hatch. When he does his punch his lead foot is in front of that red/green cross-hatch. As I said. Both his feet are on the perimeter of a circle, with the opponent standing near the center of that circle. He is not taking linear sidesteps. He is stepping along the perimeter of the circle as your own illustration clearly shows. When he makes the second part of the step after the Bong, his hips are moving forward with the punch as his body mass moves around the perimeter of the circle. Again, just look at your own illustration. When starts his Bong his lead hip is at your back green line. When he does his punch his rear hip is clearly closer to your front green line. Nice illustration. Is supports what I have been saying. You are just working hard to deny what is actually happening in the video just for the sake of arguing.

Look at Phil's lead foot. You guys honestly don't see this????
    I do not see him moving along a "circle" although I guess you could argue that nothing is fully linear or circular.
    When you throw a "straight" punch there are circles involved and you can point to the body having circular moving as all of the joints are circular.
    Looking at the clips and the lines it looks pretty clear that his feet remain fairly constant on them so to my way of thinking if he moved in a circle his feet would have to go off of the lines. Does that make any sense??
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    I do not see him moving along a "circle" although I guess you could argue that nothing is fully linear or circular.
    When you throw a "straight" punch there are circles involved and you can point to the body having circular moving as all of the joints are circular.
    Looking at the clips and the lines it looks pretty clear that his feet remain fairly constant on them so to my way of thinking if he moved in a circle his feet would have to go off of the lines. Does that make any sense??

Of course that makes sense! And that's what I'm saying....his lead foot does move off of the line that LFJ drew. It moves forward. This is not as clear an example of the TWC T step as could be shown, because Phil's opponent is moving towards him. So he doesn't have to move forward very much. But he is definitely not simply stepping straight to the side. He is angling. I'll try and find a better example of the T step.