Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ving Tsun of GM Ip Man

Quote Originally Posted by zuti car View Post
    About nationalsm , that is never cause for racism , most europen people are nationalists , loving your nation does not make you hate others , makes you respect and understand others .
    That is wrong on so many levels.

Nationalism does not equal patriotism.
    Actual chauvinists are a weird minority. Brexit was a knee jerk reaction.
    Chauvinism and racism go hand in hand. Every right wing populist's selling point is their xenophobic policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    Too bad you are hung up on that. I could use some experience I thought you had .I have concidered what you say but you revieal you know little of what I am referring to.
    I totally don't understand what are you taking about

Quote Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post
    That is wrong on so many levels.

Nationalism does not equal patriotism.
    Actual chauvinists are a weird minority. Brexit was a knee jerk reaction.
    Chauvinism and racism go hand in hand. Every right wing populist's selling point is their xenophobic policy.
    everyone sees what he wants to see. I don't know much about politics , neither i care , i am simply saying , loving your country and your people does not make hate others , just like loving your children does not make you hate other children. Majority of the people are just that, commom people without extrem political conviction .

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Sadly, we are still in those times!

If living in China has taught me anything, it's that many Chinese are among the most openly racists people alive!

Every TV channel has shows all day long about them killing Japanese from "little Japan". They even hate darker versions of themselves, the countryfolk who build their cities, and you should see the way Hong Kong people talk about Mainlanders. It's despicable.

The funny thing is, most of the HKers are still ethnically Chinese, but they talk about how terrible "Chinese" people are while claiming to be British, even though the Queen abandoned them!

The worst part, though, is that they have no shame in being openly racist. It really makes you sick to your stomach, the way they act and treat one another.
    Yes > bows deeply<
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

We should remember what was happening at the time. Plus, Chinese never forget.

Ip man Ving Tsun

[QUOTE=Happy Tiger;1301404]I have been sharing, of late, an opinion I've believed for decades. It's cannon that Ip Man had at least two distinct periods of VT training. What I don't believe is that he had partiality in his knowledge. I was asked to clarify my comment of 'street' versions of VT.

Sorry to but in to the topic late but I just returned to the list after a number of years.
    Personally I think there are a lot of factors to take into account. Although he was quite traditional in some facets of his life and world view. I think Ip Man was influenced by the Guoshu movement and his teaching approach continued to evolve over his life. Although the system was reworked between his Foshan and Hong Kong period, his approach to teaching continued to evolve even in Hong Kong between the 1950's and 60's.

Tom

[QUOTE=KPM;1301422]We know Ip Man studied with Chan Wah Shun as a child and CWS died pretty early on. So CWS's student Ng Chung So took over teaching Ip Man and was really the one that taught him the majority of his Wing Chun. Ip Man was also friends with Yuen Kay Shan, who was older than him. Their families were from the same social circle. It is said that Ip Man, Yuen Kay Shan, and Yip Choi were all friends and hung out together. They were known as the "Three Tigers of Foshan." So it stands to reason they would do some training together and exchange ideas and techniques. So I believe that Yuen Kay Shan's Wing Chun was a pretty big influence on Ip Man. It is also said that Ip Man studied with Leung Bik, who was said to be Leung Jan's son. But this has never been substantiated. From everything I've read and seen, I would put my money on Ng Chung So and Yuen Kay Shan being the biggest influences on Ip Man's Wing Chun. Then he, of course, changed things to suit himself based on his own experience.

Solid points. There is quite a bit of evidence of the existence of Leung Bik. Ip Man himself told a number of senior students and confidants about him besides what was written about his interview with new martial hero mag. He did not regard him as his Sifu however as it would not be proper tradition to do so. I think Ip, Yuen and Yiu were all good friends who used to hand around at Ng Chun So's school and Chi sau and exchange idea's. No doubt they all learned things from each other.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------

A muddled thread riddled with fiction

YKS influence on Ip Man? Nonsense

IP man himsef said that he learned from Leung Bik and that what he learned from Leung Bik
    was much more concept based and complete. The details in CWS, YKS and Ip Man's wing chun
    are striking.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Very True Joy! Not only did he tell a number of students but mentioned it in his interview with New Martial Hero Magazine. Anyway, Finally I have some time here and there to get back to the list. It has been a few years. Good to see you posting still! Take care my Friend!

Tom R.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    It is a muddled topic from the start. Not "muddled thread." When Ip Man wrote an article about the history of Wing Chun for publication, he mentioned nothing about Leung Bik. People around in that era have said that the Leung Bik story was added later. And its not even clear that Ip Man was the one that added it.

If you have details of CWS's Wing Chun, I've love to hear about them! Do you have a source or reference? Because the Wing Chun taught later by his son likely has many additions and embellishments and not at all what his father taught.

However, if you compare the Wing Chun that Ip Man taught early on in Foshan and to Leung Sheung in HK, there are many similarities to YKS Wing Chun. Now that may very well be because the Wing Chun taught to both Ip Man and YKS was very similar from the start! So its hard to say. But given the passion for Wing Chun that Ip Man displayed, does anyone really believe that if he was hanging out with and friends with another Wing Chun guy like YKS that had a good reputation of his own, was senior to Ip Man, and came from another branch of the tree....that Ip man wouldn't have exchanged with and learned from him??

As far as Leung Bik. Someone turned up photos of both Leung Jan and Leung Bik a couple of years back but I've never read that these were actually authenticated in any way. People have gone back and tried to find traces of Leung Bik in HK and turned up nothing. This lead to the idea that Leung Bik may have been a nick-name. Some have said it was actually Fung Wah, who was a student of Leung Jan in Foshan, but not his son. So there is that possibility. As noted, it is a somewhat "muddled" topic!

Actually the Ip Man lineage story written was meant to be a general history for the establishment of an organization that was a precursor to the VTAA. As to the Ip brothers there are personal influences in by of their teaching methods but Ip Ching is much closer to what his father taught in the 60's until his death (Moy Yat's assertion). As to Leung Bik people will believe what suits their view point https://www.facebook.com/pg/Singapor...49128988508337

Tom

This information is very valuable to me. I have never believed that the first generation descendants of Ip Man were 'interpreting' what was taught them. I know they are transmitting what they were taught. But it cannot be denied they are many quiet different. We used to have a fellow visit our gwoon who by his own admission wasn't the best or most dedicated VT player. He said many people 'hung out' at the club. Athletic Clubs were also to a degree,
    social places Folks played Tiles or just read papers and talked. Gossiping o the players.

. Uncle Yough said Ip man's hands felt different to different people. Yet since then , most Masters you can tell their house as soon as you touch hands. Perhaps VT needs a period of additive as opposed to subtractive progress in
    Last edited by Happy Tiger; 04-14-2017 at 06:44 PM.

The worst enemy of Ving Tsun is onoui

The worst enemy of Ving Tsun is onoui
    What is onoui???

Quote Originally Posted by wckf92 View Post
    What is onoui???
    A fancy shmancy way of saying boredom 😊

A fancy shmancy way of saying boredom ��
    Ennui? Like French for "annoy".

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Ennui? Like French for "annoy".
    Yeah you have it spelled right but it means boredom. My spell check is outta control