This distinction is still not clear to me. It has been said that WSLVT is "non-application based" method compared to just about everything else that IS "application based." It has been said that you cannot watch a video of WSLVT/PB and understanding what is happening if you don't study the system because you cannot see this "non-application" Wing Chun in action. That just seems strange to me.

Most good ring fighters will tell you that they have a small number (maybe 5 or 6) techniques or "applications" that they are very good at and that they use in nearly every fight as their "go to" moves. So I see nothing wrong in a fighting method being rather simple and straight-forward. Its the "simple and straight-forward" that is going to work under pressure. Saying that a fighting method is "non-application" based just seems rather abstract to me. It doesn't really doesn't sound like something that is going to work very well under pressure in a real fighting situation.

Every Wing Chun method that I have studied or encountered seemed to be a mix of application and theory/concept. The theory/concepts are what drives the understanding of various applications. They certainly have not been a "tit for tat"...."if you do this move I will always do X" kind of thing. But the instant you perform a technique to defend against what an opponent is doing, that becomes an "application." So I really don't understand what a "non-application based" Wing Chun means.

Anyone care to elucidate?