Thread: A lesson in choreography

A lesson in choreography

On the heels of the choreographic mess that was Ironfist, it is perhaps correct to listen to one the the masters:

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Thanks for posting, SR. That video is spot on.

Besides the director/MA director, the right cinematographer is indispensable. The old-school cinematographers/cameramen in HK really knew their ****. That didn't come from some crash course or cost-cutting, but from years of experience, and working with visionary MA directors and performers like JC, Sammo Hung, Lau Kar-Leung, and others. Although each had their own unique style, they knew how to put together cinematic fight scenes, and they and their crews REALLY knew how to capture them.

In this end fight from Lau Kar-Leung's Martial Club, take note of the camerawork. Every important angle, every position and complex movement, even the tiniest movements, are captured clearly and masterfully. Even when they're not actually fighting, the camerawork is actively capturing their body language. The lighting is also exceptional. I dare say this type of choreography and cinematography is IMPOSSIBLE for Hollywood directors and cinematographers to both choreograph or capture. Even if they tried, it would come across looking hokey at best and unwatchable at worst. IMO, this level of KF choreography is a lost art today. The director has to really know own stuff, his performers, and how he wants his vision captured on film; and his cinematographer has to be able to help him translate that vision into reality onscreen. American directors and choreographers lack the skills, experience and vision (and open-mindedness) to come anywhere near the same level.

Last edited by Jimbo; 04-07-2017 at 06:54 PM.

I like Wang Lung Wei! A good foil for alot of actors in action choreography