Thread: Training

Hybrid View

Training

I thought this article had some good points on training that applies to martial arts, and is germane to recent discussions:

https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/tra...pply-it-part-3

You need to understand a method before looking for counterarguments to it out of spite.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    You need to understand a method before looking for counterarguments to it out of spite.
    There you go trying to start another argument. I posted it simply because I thought it was interesting and spoke to the idea of training "applications." You don't like it, you don't have to read it.

You know most of those who I have met or read about of a high level of skill hardly ever argued with others.
    If you are secure in your approach then so be it, no need or benefit of always trying to put differing views down.

LFJ, I am going to step outside of my normal response for a moment and ask you something, and this does relate to Training so it is relevant to this thread.

You have made statements that you do not train applications, not in forms or apparently elsewhere in your approach to WC/VT/WT.

So my question is:

When you practice Chi Sau, which from previous videos posted, it appears that you utilize the same movements other Yip Man lineages utilize.
    So, that being the case, are you not actually training to apply techniques/applications within the framework of Chi Sau to respond to specific techniques.
    In other words aren't you training to respond to specific actions or energy with specific responses? While I agree that there can be modifications and your response can and should vary depending on what is given, but don't you need to know and learn how to respond with something specific? At least in the beginning?

If not then please explain what you are using Chi Sau for if not training to respond in a preset pattern with some variations.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    You know most of those who I have met or read about of a high level of skill hardly ever argued with others.
    If you are secure in your approach then so be it, no need or benefit of always trying to put differing views down.

LFJ, I am going to step outside of my normal response for a moment and ask you something, and this does relate to Training so it is relevant to this thread.

You have made statements that you do not train applications, not in forms or apparently elsewhere in your approach to WC/VT/WT.

So my question is:

When you practice Chi Sau, which from previous videos posted, it appears that you utilize the same movements other Yip Man lineages utilize.
    So, that being the case, are you not actually training to apply techniques/applications within the framework of Chi Sau to respond to specific techniques.
    In other words aren't you training to respond to specific actions or energy with specific responses? While I agree that there can be modifications and your response can and should vary depending on what is given, but don't you need to know and learn how to respond with something specific? At least in the beginning?

If not then please explain what you are using Chi Sau for if not training to respond in a preset pattern with some variations.
    Chi sau is not fighting or a simulation of fighting. So learning applications from chi sau is a non-sequitur from the point of view of WSL VT. You can't fight from chi sau because the opponent can leave chi sau whenever they like. It is an artificial drill relying upon cooperation and designed to teach certain things relevant to fighting.

A similar method is "grinding arms" in some other southern chinese MA, although chi sau much more developed and flexible, and of course teaching aspects of a completely different system

Last edited by guy b.; 04-11-2017 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Chi sau is not fighting or a simulation of fighting. So learning applications from chi sau is a non-sequitur from the point of view of WSL VT. You can't fight from chi sau because the opponent can leave chi sau whenever they like. It is an artificial drill relying upon cooperation and designed to teach certain things relevant to fighting.

A similar method is "grinding arms" in some other southern chinese MA, although chi sau much more developed and flexible, and of course teaching aspects of a completely different system

Okay, let's try to get an answer to something simple.

When you guys do Chi Sau (which no one is saying is fighting) do you use Taun, Bong and other "techniques"?
    Do you ever use these "techniques" in fighting?
    If so then I would submit that you train applications.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space