Thread: Training

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Neither. I think you haven't understood what he actually means by what he wrote.

As I read it;

"No systematized approach" means "boxing" is not one thing or style. In this sense, there is no one such thing as a "boxer". Two boxers may fight with wildly different styles and train differently to suit those styles.

That means there is also no one strategy that defines "boxing". This doesn't mean boxing gyms don't teach strategy or have good strategy. Some do. Some don't. Every gym will be different because they are free to do what they find best in the ring, based on the coach's experience and for each fighter, bound only by ring rules and not codified into one style that is "boxing".

"Not directly related to fighting" means that a lot of what a boxer does is unsafe outside of the boxing ring. Things like bobbing and weaving become dangerous when kicks and knees are possible. Stances are often susceptible to leg kicks or takedowns. A typical cover defense on the inside is easily penetrated when both fighters are bareknuckled and doesn't consider other dangers than punching. Many punches rely on the gloves to protect the hand and would be dangerous to the bareknuckled puncher.

These things are not taking all possibilities of free fighting into account, only that which is within the ring rules of the sport. In this sense, it doesn't directly relate to fighting. This doesn't mean a boxer can't knock someone's block off in a street fight, though.
    No. I "comprehended" what he was saying just fine! I just think it way off, is all. And I think if you brought those points up in a serious boxing gym they would laugh in your face. Again, be my guest to try that!!

A "systematized approach" to boxing is training to punch from various angles, training to be mobile in the ring, using covering/bobbing/weaving, etc as a defense. While there are some variations, "boxers" stick to that pretty closely. For you to say that there is no one "boxing" is wrong. That would imply that you couldn't pick out someone with a background in boxing by watching them move. There is such a thing as a "boxer", and then there can be variations on "boxing." Just like there is such a thing as "Karate" and then there can be variations of "Karate."

While there are some vulnerabilities in what they do if they are facing someone on the street.....that does not mean that strategies used in the ring, like angling away from a direct punch, covering and returning a hit on another line, moving around with a jab to confuse before closing on another line, etc wouldn't work if facing off with an attacker in a parking lot. Heck, most Wing Chun guys use a stance that is vulnerable to leg kicks and takedowns!

You really think a boxer that has given half a thought to what he would do on the street doesn't realize he needs to cover better when he isn't using gloves, or be more careful in how he hits to protect his hands???? You don't think a boxer that takes his art seriously hasn't done some light sparring with buddies when they were neither wearing gloves?

Here is at least one guy that would disagree with what you are saying:

https://www.amazon.com/Championship-...s=ned+beaumont

Good book. I've had it in my library for many years.
    Last edited by KPM; 04-16-2017 at 01:42 PM.