Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The **** Legend of Kung Fu Kenny by Kendrick Lamar

Continued from previous post

Going into more detail is Adisa Banjoko, founder of the Hip-Hop Chess Federation and author of the book Bobby, Bruce & the Bronx: The Secrets of Hip-Hop Chess. According to him, the connection between black youth and martial arts is as clear as day.

“People often forget that hip-hop was born out of the ashes of the civil rights movement, and so much of that was tied to a reclamation of black male dignity,” he says. “These films—Bruce Lee movies in particular, and a lot of the Shaw Brothers films—often dealt with one man going against an organization, or one man going against an unjust state. Because so much of this was done with just the hands, it was also a tool of the poor. You didn’t have to be rich to have these skills. You just had to be disciplined and be willing to work, and you could have it.

“That was one of the main reasons that the martial arts resonated with African-American males who, people conveniently forget, had all of their warrior traditions literally beaten out of them on slave plantations and in sharecropper/Jim Crow America. So these films were supremely inspirational to masses of black males who felt culturally robbed of their warrior spirit, and inspirational on a philosophical perspective, because of the responsibility that having the skills demanded.”

Another reason Kendrick Lamar might have chosen The Last Dragon as a reference is the fact that the movie was produced by Berry Gordy, best known as the founder of the famous Motown record label. Given that fact, it’s clear that the movie, billed as a martial arts film meets Motown musical, had a strong connection to the music industry from the get go.

Regardless of the motivations behind creating his alter ego and sending him on a journey in search of the glow, Kendrick Lamar’s Kung Fu Kenny shares a lot of similarities with Bruce Leroy of The Last Dragon.

What do you think, does Kung Fu Kenny’s quest have more to do with Bruce Leroy’s than previously thought? Let us know what you think in the comments.
    This article references Rush Hour 2, The Last Dragon, and Wu-Tang Clan, but I'm only copying it to our The **** Legend of Kung Fu Kenny by Kendrick Lamar thread and our Hip-Hop Chess Federation thread. Adisa is an old friend and we've been working together on RESPECT: Hip-Hop Style & Wisdom, a special exhibit that opens in Oakland Museum this weekend.

NOTE: There's one more embedded vid that I couldn't cut&paste here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

****....just ****!!!

A Pulitzer for Kung Fu Kenny.

Kendrick Lamar Becomes First Hip-Hop Artist to Win Pulitzer Prize for Music
    12:29 PM PDT 4/16/2018 by the Associated Press

Samir Hussein/Getty Images

His album '****.' is the first non-classical or -jazz work to win the award.

Kendrick Lamar has won the Pulitzer Prize for music, making history as the first non-classical or -jazz artist to win the prestigious prize.

The revered rapper is also the most commercially successful musician to receive the award, usually reserved for critically acclaimed classical acts much less familiar with the pop charts.

The 30-year-old won the prize for ****., his raw and powerful Grammy-winning album. The Pulitzer board said Monday the album is a "virtuosic song collection" that captures "the modern African-American life." He will win $15,000.

Lamar has been lauded for his deep lyrical content, politically charged live performances, and his profound mix of hip-hop, spoken word, jazz, soul, funk, poetry and African sounds. Since emerging on the music scene with the 2011 album Section.80, he has achieved the perfect mix of commercial appeal and critical respect.

The Pulitzer board has awarded special honors to Bob Dylan, Duke Ellington, George Gershwin, Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane and Hank Williams, but a popular figure like Lamar has never won the prize for music. In 1997, Wynton Marsalis became the first jazz act to win the Pulitzer Prize for music.

That makes Lamar's win that much more important: His platinum-selling major-label albums — good kid, m.A.A.d city; 'To Pimp a Butterfly; and ****. — became works of art, with Lamar writing songs about blackness, street life, police brutality, perseverance, survival and self-worth. His piercing and sharp lyrics helped him become the voice of the generation, and easily ascend as the leader in hip-hop and cross over to audiences outside of rap, from rock to pop to jazz. He's also been a dominator on the charts, having achieved two dozen Top 40 hits, including a No. 1 success with "Humble," and he has even collaborated with the likes of U2, Taylor Swift, Imagine Dragons, Rihanna and Beyonce.

His music, with songs like "Alright" and "The Blacker the Berry," have become anthems in the wake of high-profile police shootings of minorities as the conversation about race relations dominates news headlines. He brought of dose of seriousness to the 2015 BET Awards, rapping on top of a police car with a large American flag waving behind him. At the 2016 Grammys, during his visual-stunning, show-stopping performance, he appeared beaten, in handcuffs, with chains around his hands and bruises on his eyes as he delivered powerful lyrics to the audience.

Lamar has won 12 Grammy Awards, though all three of his major-label albums have lost in the top category — album of the year. Each loss has been criticized by the music community, launching the conversation about how the Recording Academy might be out of touch. ****. lost out on the album of the year Grammy to Bruno Mars' 24K Magic in January.

The rapper, born in Compton, California, was hand-picked by Black Panther director Ryan Coogler to curate an album to accompany the ubiquitously successful film, giving Lamar yet another No. 1 effort and highly praised project.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kung Fu Kenny

I must really give this album a serious listen. I've only heard a few tracks off it.

Kung Fu Kenny, King Kunta, K-Dot. Whatever you call him, Kendrick Lamar is a Pulitzer Prize winner
    By RANDALL ROBERTS
    APR 16, 2018 | 7:40 PM

Kendrick Lamar during Coachella in 2017. (Patrick T. Fallon / For The Los Angeles Times)

Their names are inked in history books and on the walls of hallowed concert halls as winners of American music's most esteemed award, the Pulitzer Prize for music: Aaron Copland, George Crumb, John Luther Adams, Ornette Coleman, Caroline Shaw and dozens more.

Add to that list the man nicknamed Kung Fu Kenny.

In news that caught many off guard, celebrated Compton-born rapper Kendrick Lamar was awarded the Pulitzer on Monday for his work on his 2017 album "****." With the announcement, the committee praised Lamar's album as "a virtuosic song collection unified by its vernacular authenticity and rhythmic dynamism that offers affecting vignettes capturing the complexity of modern African-American life."

Translation: It's an amazing album that documents South L.A. black life with wildly accomplished beats and verses.

"He's an artist who challenges notions," said Ryan Coogler, director of the blockbuster hit "Black Panther," for which Lamar orchestrated and contributed music, during a recent interview. "One of the bigger themes in our film is this idea of, 'What does it mean to be African?' Kendrick in his music is very directly challenging that question."

To say that Lamar's honor was a shocker is an understatement. Historically, the Pulitzer committee has ignored so-called "vernacular" music in the category, favoring more furrow-browed, academic work. When the Pulitzer committee has honored non-classical work, it has most often done so by giving recipients what it calls "special awards and citations."

This year's finalists in the music category, selected by a five-person jury, were "Quartet" by Michael Gilbertson and "Sound From the Bench" by Ted Hearne.

"There's something to be said that a young man from Compton, who was raised in a low-income community, has been able to be true to his mode of expression," said Taj Frazier, an associate professor at USC and the director of the Institute for Diversity and Empowerment at Annenberg.

"The fact that his music is being listened to and valued among the Pulitzer members — that it's being thought of in relation to those award winners of generations prior to him — means he'll be a name and a creator who's also referred to for those who are assessed and valued in the future," Frazier said.

Lamar follows another non-classical Pulitzer winner, Coleman, the experimental jazz pioneer who won in 2007 for "Sound Grammar." There is, perhaps, a connection, as Lamar's albums have been frequently cited as spearheading a jazz revival in Los Angeles, elevating players like Kamasi Washington, Terrace Martin and Robert Glasper to almost-pop stars, or at least crossover figures with wide, young audiences outside the traditional jazz market.

But Lamar is not merely the first rapper to earn the Pulitzer in music. He's the first honored musician who has landed a No. 1 album or gone platinum. To further illustrate the accomplishment, among those who haven't received the prize are Miles Davis, Nina Simone, Bob Dylan, Aretha Franklin, John Coltrane, Bruce Springsteen and Carole King. (Dylan and Coltrane have been given special citations.)

In a social media post reacting to the news, Terrence "Punch" Henderson, president of Lamar's label, Top Dawg Entertainment, bragged, "Pulitzer Prize winner K-dot from Compton. I bet not ever hear one of you ... speak with anything less than respect in your mouth for Kendrick Lamar."

Lamar retweeted the above comment but has yet to make a statement of his own. The artist and representatives from Top Dawg were not available for comment.

"The award will also serve as an inspiration for creators who never would have imagined this for themselves," said USC's Frazier. "To now think, 'Oh, that's possible. It's feasible that I'll be valued in this kind of space, that my name will be mentioned alongside of other Pulitzer winners in other forms of the arts, whether it be fiction or journalism.' I think that's huge."

Lamar's Pulitzer accolade comes at a time when hip-hop culture has become mainstream culture. In 2017, for instance,the combined genres of R&B and hip-hop proved to be the most consumed music in the U.S. for the first time in history, according to Nielsen Music.

Hip-hop has gone on to inform many aspects of popular American art; it punctuates the film "Black Panther" and infuses acclaimed TV shows such as "Atlanta" and "The Chi," not to mention the Broadway sensation "Hamilton." This year's Grammys also focused heavily on hip-hop in its nominations, where "****" was up for, but lost, album of the year.

Lamar's lyrical hip-hop has long been uniquely focused on his home city. Whether on tracks including "Backseat Freestyle," "Keisha's Song (Her Pain)" or "Money Trees," or in the videos for songs such as "Compton State of Mind" (a riff on Jay-Z's "Empire State of Mind"), "King Kunta" and "i," Lamar locates his creative world in the area in which he was raised.

Like the best writers, Lamar pinpoints small moments that illustrate larger points, in his case the kind that springboard into documentary narratives about home and history, about dangers lurking and the power of anger. Like classic L.A. chroniclers such as Iceberg Slim, John Fante, Joan Didion and James Ellroy, Lamar imbues a sense of place into his lines.

“Black Panther” director Coogler describes Lamar as possessing “an integrity to him that crosses demographics and it crosses different ages. When you hear him you feel like he’s being truthful. You feel like you’re scratching at a certain type of personal truth.”

The rapper's 2012 mixtape, "Compton State of Mind," locates Rosecrans Avenue by name as he describes being on the street chilling, eating "five dollar Little Caesar" and food from when "mama shopped at Food for Less." Centennial High School, he raps, "had me swimming with a pool of sharks — me I'm just a good kid trying to keep it neutral / But I'm well aware that a square can get shot too."

His "good kid, m.A.A.d. city," released in 2012 and nominated for a Grammy album of the year, went deeper into the city's psyche, and his own. He describes witnessing at age 9 a gangbanger "with his brains blown out at the same burger stand where beep hang out."

The 2015 album "To Pimp a Butterfly" brought him a whole new audience as it connected past, present and future. Experimenting with Afro-futurism and collaborating with such wide-ranging jazz-influenced artists including Martin and Washington, as well as the producer Thundercat, the album was an expansive look at the African American experience in California.

Lamar's success, however, has led him to bemoan his disconnect from the streets where his most crucial lyrics were born. He acknowledged this struggle in a July 2017 interview with comedian Dave Chappelle for Interview magazine.

"[E]verything was moving so fast. I didn't know how to digest it," Lamar said. "The best thing I did was go back to the city of Compton, to touch the people who I grew up with and tell them the stories of the people I met around the world."

That desire for familiarity, noted The Times' pop music critic Mikael Wood in a review of Lamar's appearance at Coachella in 2017, stands to reason: "A vivid through-line on '****' is Lamar's sense of being under attack, his stardom having made him a specific target for the media — early on the album he samples a bit of critical punditry from Fox News — and even for friends and family, as he observes in the anguished 'Feel.' 'Ain't nobody prayin' for me,' he mutters ..."

Another track, "DNA," sets part of its story at the western edge of Rosecrans near the beach. Lamar raps of having "loyalty, royalty inside my DNA" while "dodging paparazzi, freakin' through the cameras."

Those attempting to glean meaning from printed Lamar lyrics, however, are doing it wrong. Lamar earned his award for music, and to assess his words on their own — without his sublime musicality and rhythms that drive his thoughts — misses the point.

Only with focus and volume can one truly tap into Lamar’s vibrations, but even then, says Coogler, “You come away from it with more questions than answers somehow.”

Additional reporting by August Brown and Mikael Wood.

For tips, records, snapshots and stories on Los Angeles music culture, follow Randall Roberts on Twitter and Instagram: @liledit. Email: randall.roberts@latimes.com.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

seen! 5/9/18 @ Oracle Arena in Oakland

Actually, it wasn't the Kung Fu Kenny schtick. I saw Kendrick headline the Top Dawg Championship Tour with SZA. SZA was meh. She did perform the ***** song, which just doesn't work for me. Most of the show didn't impress me at all.

But Kendrick was solid. I see what the fuss is all about. It was sold out crowd that had to move one night due to a Warriors game, mid-week no less, and everyone moved. Good show. Kendrick definitely has it going on.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Nike Cortez Kenny III

THE NIKE CORTEZ KENNY III PERFECTLY EMBODIES KENDRICK LAMAR’S KUNG FU PERSONA
    KEENAN HIGGINS MAY 11, 2018
    After weeks of waiting, Nike finally gave the world a look at the Nike Cortez Kenny III, the latest drop in their collaboration with Pulitzer-winning rapper Kendrick Lamar.

miyatola's profile picture
    miyatola
    Verified

Follow
    Los Angeles, California
    Comment
    Save
    5,919 likes
    miyatola"Friday. TDE x Nike"
    The first glance we got at these was on the feet of Top Dawg Entertainment prez Dave Free (seen above). The shoe is considered to be the standout in that TDE x Nike capsule we saw not too long ago, arriving along stops of the Championship Tour. The black upper gives the silhouette a lowkey vibe, but a sleek combo of suede and nylon gives the shoe its head-turning appeal. Other features that stand out include a red “Bet It Back” ribbon across the tongue and a Chinese lettering design that brings back the “Kung Fu Kenny” we saw on The ****. Tour all last summer.

If you’re looking to cop the Nike Cortez Kenny III — currently available in the SNKRS app for Nike Plus members — your best bet is to go see The Championship Tour and try your luck at the pop-ups. Check out this link to tickets here.

That's the championship tour I was talking about above.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips