Thread: Hung Gar's "Bench Form"

Hung Gar's "Bench Form"

A legit form of the style or "just for show" bs?

Blog Entries
    what does it matter to YOU? are you just bored? or looking to start some ****? if its not your system, don't worry about it
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Seemed legit to me

I learned that form many years ago. It wasn't particularly showy - mostly simple techniques and quite practical, a short to-the-point form. Good training for how to swing any bulky piece of furniture about. I wish I had kept that form but my bench was a pain to transport around.

I talked about it a little in my first Tiger Claw blog, way back in 2009: Kung Fu Fighting Bench vs. Pom Door.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

“Dragon Head Wooden Bench” (Lung Tau Baan Dang)

http://practicalhungkyun.com/2014/09...tau-baan-dang/
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

I guess the way i asked sounded a little bit offensive. Not my intention. It was just the shortest way i found to ask if the bench form actually bellonged to the style or it was just something "modern" made up for demonstrations or something without any kind of combat theory behind it.

I watched "Return to the 36th chamber" and it had some bench form fighting in it that looked pretty good. It was the best part of the movie along with "roof top" style, which made me laugh. It was the old story of the kid who joins shaolin, spends all his time working at some mundane task and doesn't realize that by doing that, he is learning his Kung Fu.

Anyway. Worth a look for the bench fight scenes and the "roof top" style. It's a shaw brothers flick.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Bench also has deep roots in Chinese acrobatics.

Some critics denigrate acrobatics from martial arts, but traditional Chinese acrobatics have long been in integral part, especially with opera Kung Fu. This reminds me of my favorite bench fight from Young Master - between two opera trained stars no less: Jackie Chan and Yuen Biao.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Some critics denigrate acrobatics from martial arts, but traditional Chinese acrobatics have long been in integral part, especially with opera Kung Fu. This reminds me of my favorite bench fight from Young Master - between two opera trained stars no less: Jackie Chan and Yuen Biao.

I totally agree about the acrobatics,what we have to remember is that back in those days people did not even do exercises like push-ups or even jumping jacks so if you were able to do a cart wheel or a somersault that meant you were in very good shape much better than the average Joe and as a result you were tougher to
    Another thing that I would mention is that it seems weapons that unlike handsets did not necessarily have to be from that style. As I understand it some of the weapons sets from Hung Ga came from Lam Sai Wing's previous styles, whatever they were ,and other weapon sets he picked up along the way.
    Last edited by yeshe; 05-02-2017 at 06:46 PM.
    First smooth,then fast.
    Smooth is fast.