Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comic Cons

Hybrid View

Comic Cons

I was at Silicon Valley Comic Con 2.0 last weekend and crossed paths with a lot of martial arts friends there. I went last year to meet Ray Park for our JULY+AUGUST 2016 cover story Ray Park: The Force of Wushu - work summons me to cons a lot for similar reasons. I started a small facebook album on cons for our KFTC page, which I anticipate will grow. I've been doing cons since I was a teen and lately, there's been a growing martial arts presence there, so I figured it was time to start a thread here.

I was even at this demo below.

Martial arts demo showcase ‘real-life little superheroes’ at Silicon Valley Comic Con
    By Mariecar Mendoza April 24, 2017 Updated: April 24, 2017 12:22pm

Actor Ernie Reyes Jr. Silicon Valley Comic Con 2017 held at San Jose Convention Center on April 22, 2017 in San Jose, California. Photo: Albert L. Ortega, Getty Images
    Photo: Albert L. Ortega, Getty Images

Superheroes-in-training showed off their skills when martial arts master Ernie Reyes Sr. brought out his team for the last day of this year’s Silicon Valley Comic Con.

On Sunday, April 23, dozens of fans cheered on his team from West Coast Martial Arts Association, which has programs all over the Bay Area, as they performed acrobatics, choreographed fight scenes and more during a short martial arts demonstration at the convention’s outdoor festival at Plaza de Cesar Chavez. Some in the crowd even called the smallest of the talent group “real-life little superheroes.”

But as Reyes Sr.’s mantra goes, “true martial arts is more than kicking and punching. It’s a positive way of life” — a skill and ethic that has changed the lives of students like Sage Stephenson.

“When I started, I didn’t have that much self-confidence and it really helped me with that. I’ve improved a lot,” said the 12-year-old Santa Clara resident, who revealed her favorite superhero is Wonder Woman.

Ernie Reyes Sr. and Jr. were special guests during this year's Silicon Valley Comic Con in San Jose.

Media: Mariecar Mendoza / sfchronicle.com
    At 70 years old, the Salinas native also showcased his moves as his son, actor Ernie Reyes Jr. emceed.

The younger Reyes, who was born and raised in San Jose, is best known for his martial arts skills in films like “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze,” “Surf Ninjas” and “The Last Dragon.” More recently, he’s added acting credits to his resume for his roles in “NCIS: Los Angeles” and TNT’s “The Librarians” among other shows. He was among the three-day Silicon Valley Comic Con’s celebrity guests at the San Jose Convention Center.

“When I was a little kid doing martial arts, before I got into film and television, we were down here doing marital arts demonstrations and so it’s really cool to come back after 30-something years … and be able to meet my fans,” said 45-year-old Reyes Jr. “It’s awesome to see the Silicon Valley be able to have a comic con and have it grow so quickly. I’m happy to be a part of it.”

Mariecar Mendoza is The San Francisco Chronicle arts content editor. Email: mmendoza@sfchronicle.com Twitter: @SFMarMendoza Instagram: @sfchronicle_scene
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Our newest web article

Man, you come right out of a comic book. Read The Kung Fu of Comic Cons 2017 – Silicon Valley Comic Con 2.0 by Gene Ching
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

hey, you met tiny Danny Rand!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Rand...meh.

You know what I think of Rand already.

I was hoping to meet Elektra.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tiny Elektra would be cool, yeah...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

It's a comic con...tiny better than fat....

What can I say? I can poach a quote...

"Sméagol hates nasty hobbitses!"

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Never posted any follow up for SDCC, did I?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    You know what I think of Rand already.

I was hoping to meet Elektra.

Bella Ciao!

I'll be at SiiCon tomorrow. Debating whether to go all Money Heist again.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our freshest exclusive interview

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Mulan jian

I went to San Diego Comic-con last month and saw this at the WETA booth.

THREADS
    Comic Cons
    Mulan - Live Action
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest free web article offering

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest free web article offering

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our freshest exclusive web article

What good is that Kung fu jive if you can’t even use it? READ The Kung Fu of Comic Cons 2019 – Wizard World Bay Area by Gene Ching

THREADS
    Comic Cons
    European Martial Arts (Armored combat: HEMA, HMB, IMCF, SCA, et.al)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Emerald City Comic Con postponed

A Statement From Reedpop –
    Organizers Of Emerald City Comic Con

March 6, 2020, [1:30]pm eastern-

Each year the Emerald City Comic Con team works their hardest to do right by the thousands of fans that come together in Seattle. We want to create a space for you to gather, be yourselves and make memories with those who matter to you most. We have been closely monitoring the situation around the COVID-19 virus in Seattle, and, after many hours of conversation internally and consultation with local government officials and the tourism bureau, we have decided to move next week’s Emerald City Comic Con to Summer 2020 with date and detail announcement forthcoming. We did everything that we could to run the event as planned, but ultimately, we are following the guidance of the local public health officials indicating that conventions should now be postponed.

Our hearts go out to the entire Seattle community, everyone impacted by the COVID-19 virus, and all of you, the nearly 100,000 amazing human beings who look forward to this event each year. Our team was incredibly excited to see you at Emerald City Comic Con next week, however, fans, artists, exhibitors and the rest of the community are what make Reedpop events so special and it is our duty to make sure that your safety comes first.

We know that this decision is going to greatly impact many of our individual creators, small businesses and service workers. To those whose careers depend on ECCC - we will do everything that we can over the coming days and weeks to highlight your work and we ask that our entire community support you as we realize your personal livelihoods may be impacted.

To all of our fans – you will receive a refund on your tickets, no further action is needed on your part. Due to the volume, we expect you will receive your refund in 30 days. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Reedpop remains determined and committed to running Emerald City Comic Con in 2020 and we are working closely with Visit Seattle and the Washington State Convention Center to secure alternate dates this summer. As we explore options for new dates, please know that our priority is to bring you an equally amazing event.

We appreciate all the messages that we have received over the course of the past week. The feedback was invaluable in helping us determine next steps.

Stay tuned to our website and social channels for additional information about when we will next see you in Seattle.
    THREADS
    COVID-19
    Comic Cons

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    ON The Way In The U.S.A. and Beyond. Hopefully this vaccine will be fast-tracked before next Flu Season
    I'll believe in a vaccine when it's available. Otherwise, these claims are no different than the TCM claims. But thanks for keeping tabs on this one. There's so much news that it's hard to parse.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

WonderCon Anaheim 2020 Has Been Postponed

STATEMENT FROM COMIC-CON REGARDING COVID-19

March 12, 2020

To protect public health and slow the rate of transmission of COVID-19, the California Department of Public Health announced a recommendation that gatherings and events of more than 250 people should either be postponed or cancelled. Comic-Con (organizer of WonderCon) will abide by this recommendation. Therefore WonderCon Anaheim, scheduled for April 10-12, 2020 in Anaheim, California, will be postponed until a later date. We will begin processing refunds in the coming days.

We continue to work closely with officials in San Diego and at this time no decision has been made regarding the rescheduling of Comic-Con slated to take place this summer; July 23-26, 2020. We urge everyone to follow the recommendations set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and your local health officials.
    THREADS
    COVID-19
    Comic Cons

So bummed to be missing SDCC this year...

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips