Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Xu Xiaodong Challenges to Kung Fu

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Randy couture is 54 I'd fancy his chances at the ATM over any tcma teacher I've met lol

I have no problems with people training forms and such for health fun etc as long as they understand their limitations, but thinking doing forms and waiving weapon's around will make you a fighter and help you in a bad situation is simply setting yourself up for failure, like this chap did,

It's not a case of what you are training it's how you train it and what you want to get out of it
    Police use mace and a baton against pcp hobos lol if Randy had a bad knee that day it could be trouble. Most old kung fu peeps train with swords they dont promote themselves as the new Ali...Ali was disabled in his last years im sure taking punches for the cameras didnt help...pre champ 18 year old cassius clay but still conditioned from sparring but no fights ali would rock disabled 50 million times champ ali.

lol

If mike tyson had to fight two mike tysons he would grab a weapon what does olympic boxing have to do with it.

royce did steroids so royce vs two royces on steroids but one royce gets no meat juice lol he would get rocked without a weapon or a lucky stand up strike most of it will look like fancy dancing wu shu footwork as he runs away from the ass whoop.
    Last edited by diego; 05-04-2017 at 12:25 PM.

frost my bak mei teacher is almost 70 I think 5 foot 7 160 pounds randy is 6 foot 1 210 Marine solid...If my bak mei teacher pulled out his two swords at me id run..if three football jocks drunk talked **** id throw down.

[QUOTE=diego;1302755]
    I wrestled as a teen and sparred with a bjj buddy for a year in the Chuck Liddel and Tito Ortiz UFC era like not much at all but I am 6 foot 5 210 pounds my buddy is 5 foot 10 180 pounds I could easily beat his BJJ with any style like watch a dvd of David Carradine Karate and use it on him lol He hasnt been in a real fight, I`m bigger and meaner than him he could only beat me by accident.[QUOTE]

haha dvd of David Carradine Karate, that's a good one

Lei Lei needs to start training iron face

After Embarrassing Loss, Fighter Says Tai Chi Still Relevant

Mixed martial artist vows to expose ‘masters’ of traditional Chinese combat as frauds.
    Zhong Changqian
    May 04, 2017

A recent bout between a tai chi master and a mixed martial arts expert only took 10 seconds, but the ensuing debate about the value of traditional Chinese martial arts has been raging ever since.

The tai chi master, Lei Lei, was knocked down almost immediately during the exhibition fight, held on April 27 at a fitness club in Chengdu, capital of southwestern China’s Sichuan province. Xu Xiaodong, the mixed martial artist who defeated Lei Lei, said repeatedly before, during, and after the fight that his mission was to prove that Lei Lei has no skill when it comes to fighting.

Many people have called the lopsided result a defeat of traditional martial arts like tai chi, postulating that the age-old disciplines may have lost their place in the modern world. Lei Lei told Sixth Tone that while tai chi specifically might be outdated or might not conform to modern fighting techniques, kung fu as a whole, and the culture surrounding it, is real and beneficial to the human body.

Others besides Xu have expressed skepticism about Lei Lei’s credentials as a self-professed “master.” Liu Suibin, a well-known tai chi master, said Lei Lei was not a professional tai chi practitioner. Netizens, meanwhile, have shown little mercy, insulting him for being “too fat” to practice kung fu and calling him “a fraud.”

Ever since he was a teenager, Lei Lei had been a fan of bodybuilding. In fact, he worked as a trainer at gyms for more than a decade. However, after suffering bone and muscle pain in his chest, shoulders, and back, he realized at the age of 28 that his body could no longer take the stress of rigorous muscle training. He began to question the sports philosophy of “higher, faster, stronger” and instead shifted his focus to tai chi.

Lei Lei said he began learning the art of tai chi from a “Master Luo” beginning in 2008. Frustrated with all the skepticism he encountered about the effectiveness of traditional martial arts, he decided to accept Xu’s challenge, which the latter had issued via Chinese microblog platform Weibo, in order to draw more attention to the art of tai chi.

Since the fight, Xu has had his hands full — or, more accurately, balled into fists — challenging other kung fu masters, including He Xirui, head of the Wudang Xuanzhen Taoist Kungfu School in central Hubei province. Xu maintains that he will continue his crusade to expose frauds in the traditional martial arts.

For his part, Lei Lei said the defeat has not impacted his business as a teacher of private tai chi classes. “I’m breathing and healing,” he said. “Those who believe I have real kung fu ability will still come to me for training.”

Editor: David Paulk.

(Header image: Lei Lei, a tai chi master, practices tai chi at a park in Chengdu, Sichuan province, May 1, 2017. Zhong Changqian/Sixth Tone)
    We know Liu Suibin. He's coming to KFTC25 AF.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Goes back to what we have often discussed, ad nauseam here:
    If MA are about fighting then you MUST be able to fight with them and not just some poor untrained slob BUT a trained fighter.
    IF MA are NOT about fighting, well...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Anyone want 1.5 M yuan?

Chinese entrepreneur stumps up ¥10 million purse to defeat MMA fighter Xu Xiaodong
    Prize to be split over five bouts, says founder of drinks empire
    PUBLISHED : Friday, 05 May, 2017, 7:03pm
    UPDATED : Friday, 05 May, 2017, 10:58pm
    Sarah Zheng
    http://twitter.com/_szheng
    sarah.zheng@scmp.com

4 May 2017

A Chinese tycoon is offering a total of 10 million yuan to people who can defeat the mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter who sparked a storm over the merits of traditional martial arts versus modern combat.
    Chen Sheng, the multimillionaire entrepreneur who founded the Tiandi No. 1 drinks company, has raised the stakes to “defend the dignity” of martial artists after tai chi master Wei Lei was pounded into submission in under 10 seconds by MMA fighter, coach and promoter Xu Xiaodong.
    Chen’s prize money will be allotted over five separate matches against Xu, who has been openly accepting challenges from martial arts masters from around China, the Information Times reported.

The winner of each bout will pocket 1.5 million yuan (US$218,000 or HK$1.7 million, while the loser will take home 500,000 yuan. Chen said he was willing to allow Xu to take home millions if he wins.
    Xu Xiaodong says he wants to expose ‘fake’ traditional martial artists. Photo: SCMP Pictures
    “I want him to understand, he used this kind of extreme method to provoke Chinese traditional culture, and will need to pay the price,” said Chen, who also known as “the king of pork” in Guangzhou where he launched the Guangdong No. 1 Food Co.
    The initial duel between Wei and Xu in Chengdu, Sichuan province followed an online quarrel, in which Xu had dismissed traditional martial arts as being a fraud. The ensuing high-profile match – live streamed to more than 1 million viewers – stirred up a nationwide debate about the legitimacy of Chinese martial arts, which have over 2,000 years of history and are a point of pride for many people.
    “From what I can see, Chinese martial arts has a long history,” Chen told the Information Times. “Tai chi is used more for exercise and self-cultivation. Many of my friends practise it, and China has millions of tai chi aficionados. Are they saying all of this is false?”
    Xu, who is trained in kung fu free-combat, shot to fame after the initial match, and has loudly criticised traditional martial arts for being outdated and “a lie” without combat purposes.
    “[I] crack down on fake things, because they are fake. Fake things must be eliminated. No question,” Xu, nicknamed “madman” by fans for his ruthless fighting style, told the Global Times.
    ‘Tai chi can be used in combat, but...’: Jack Ma speaks up over tai chi-MMA debate raging in China
    Earlier this week, he challenged martial artists around the country through posts on his Weibo microblog, even bragging that he could take on two or three at a time. In a Weibo post on Monday, Xu said the founder of a kickboxing television programme would fork out 1.2 million yuan if he accepted challenges from different martial artists.

Xu Xiaodong (right) moves in to dispatch tai chi master Wei Lei. Photo: SCMP Pictures

Defenders of traditional martial arts have taken up the call, including tai chi masters Lu Xing and Wang Zhanhai; Shaolin Chinese boxer Li Shangxian, and Yi Long, a monk and renowned martial artist.
    Lu, the president of the Sichuan tai chi pushing hands research institute, told the Chengdu Business News: “[Xu] is deeply biased against the traditional martial arts and his words were insulting. I challenged him so he could have a fresh perspective of tai chi and the true traditional martial arts.”
    In subsequent interviews this week, Wei blamed his embarrassing defeat on reasons ranging from slipping on a new pair of shoes with rubber soles, to avoid causing “a loss of life”, and because winning would cause “disharmony”.
    The Chinese Wushu Association said in a statement on Wednesday that the Xu-Wei match, where they were “throwing down the gauntlet”, violates martial arts ethics and potentially the law.
    “Martial arts is a traditional Chinese sport as well as an excellent traditional culture that includes various forms like martial arts repertoire and free combat,” they said. “We are strongly against such bouts, especially scuffles held in the name of eliminating fake martial arts which are more about fighting and pure aggressiveness.”
    What I don't get is why anyone would think that Lei Lei was representative of TCMA. He was obviously outgunned from the get go and clearly not intelligent enough to see that. Heck, I could beat an MMA fighter if you set me up against a crappy one (he'd have to be as crappy as Lei Lei tho ).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    frost my bak mei teacher is almost 70 I think 5 foot 7 160 pounds randy is 6 foot 1 210 Marine solid...If my bak mei teacher pulled out his two swords at me id run..if three football jocks drunk talked **** id throw down.
    Frost is just trolling as always. He likes to talk sh!t about TCMA, but also claims to train excellent Bak Mei.

He rejects other TCMA out of hand for absence of people tearing it up in the ring;
    a criterion by which Bak Mei should also be discounted, if he were logically consistent.

Of course. It was the shoes.

Wasn't wearing Feiyues. Rookie move. This only reiterates my assertion that Lei Lei was crappy from the get go.

Tai Chi 'master' blames his 'slippery shoes' for embarrassing loss in fight against MMA fighter
    BY ALEX LINDER IN NEWS ON MAY 4, 2017 9:30 PM

After being beaten down in 10 seconds in a highly-publicized match with a MMA fighter last week, a disgraced Tai Chi "master" has now blamed that embarrassing loss on his "slippery shoes."
    41-year-old Lei Lei, the founder of the fledgling "Thunder-style" of Tai Chi in Chengdu faced off against 38-year-old Beijing-based MMA fighter, coach and promoter Xu Xiaodong, known by fans as a "madman" for his ruthless aggression in the ring. Prior to the match, which was live-streamed to more than a million viewers, Xu insulted traditional Chinese martial arts, saying that they were all about style with no substance.

He then put that belief to the test. About 10 seconds after the fight began, it was over with Xu taking Wei to the ground and pummeling his face with punches in front of a large crowd in Chengdu. The Tai Chi master hadn't managed to get in a single blow, a fact that he has since blamed on his choice of footwear.

In a video interview, Lei explains that on the day of the fight he wore a pair of new shoes with rubber soles. The floor of the arena was also covered in soft rubber, which caused him to lose his balance while retreating backwards, slip, fall and get his brains beaten in.
    "He never touched me when I was standing up... I only got hit when I fell on the floor," Wei said. "Do I need to explain any more?"

Following his loss, Lei has offered a number of different excuses. In one interview, he said that he did not want to win the fight because winning would cause "disharmony" in his life. In another interview, he said that he had held back in the fight, so as not to kill his opponent with his true power.

The fight has sparked a contentious debate online over whether traditional Chinese martial arts can stand up to more modern styles of fighting. Xu has made his position known, throwing down the gauntlet to any other masters who think they can take him, challenging them to a no-holds-barred fight, bragging that the could take on two or three of them at the same time. A true promoter, Xu says that the event will be broadcast across the country with 1.2 million yuan in prize money in total up for grabs.

A number of martial arts experts have already accepted Xu's challenge to uphold the honor of their discliple. One of these challengers, Tai Chi master Chen Shi, has expressed his confidence online, saying that Wei had been using "Tai Chi crap" against Xu.
    Meanwhile, Chinese netizens have said that if shoes were really the problem then Wei should definitely demand a rematch. But in bare feet this time.
    In case you somehow missed it. You can watch their first fight below:

See? Chen Shi agrees with me. "Tai Chi crap".
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Imagine that this exact same fight between the same two people took place 150 years ago, where there is no internet, no social media, and no one to film it. An epic mythology would have been built up around the entire fight and the participants. Complete with epic, artistic descriptions in books. Lol.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 05-05-2017 at 09:55 AM.

Just my own 2 cents. As somebody who has practised Tai Chi for over 30 years AND coached champion MMA fighters, I figure I should respond to the 'challenge' video! Both sides are wrong: Tai Chi is NOT a scam, and Tai Chi is NOT too deadly for the cage. I'm afraid the truth is a little more mundane In this clip, I actually demonstrate a tai chi posture, then show how to drill it for self defence/MMA and a little free sparring. Now tell me it isn't 'real' tai chi....

TCMA cannot and will not progress beyond it's current status and questioned relevance among the professional fighting world until the TCMA community is willing to recognize the flaws or problems within it's own training culture from a practical standpoint.

We can talk about how dangerous TCMA techniques are or how deadly the "true masters" (Whatever that means) were in the glory days, but none of that means anything so long as the current state of TCMA culture continues to cater to a family-friendly oriented training environment with the 3 point scoring system for sparring and a heavy focus on form curriculums for the purpose of student testing or self-cultivation.

It's not that MMA is a better style than TCMA, (TCMA techniques are perfectly fine and effective) but that MMA fighters train more effectively. That's where the difference lies, not in the styles themselves. When an MMA fighter enters a match, he/she is ready and prepared to potentially take a hit at full force and respond accordingly. When a TCMA practitioner enters a match, at least the vast majority of us, are not prepared to take a hit at full force because we weren't properly trained for it. This is what gives an MMA fighter the edge over us. And please don't misunderstand this by thinking being able to take a hit makes you a good fighter. That's not what I am saying. This is just one example.

You can talk about how MMA is just a sport. You can talk about how deadly the techniques in TCMA are. You can talk about multiple attackers scenarios. You can talk about the glory days of the past till cows come home. You can continue to come up with any and all excuses. But none of that means anything because you'd be focusing on the wrong comparison. It's not the style or the techniques with the style that matters, but rather, the training culture as a whole. And until the TCMA community is willing to recognize and admit that there is a flaw or problem in it's current training culture, the MMA community is going to continue to embarrass us.
    Last edited by Gweilo_Fist; 05-05-2017 at 02:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    I study and love kung fu like most of us here do, but sooner or later you got to call bull****. I don't blame this MMA guy he didn't go to the Tai chi guys school and challenge him. this tai chi guy was so delusional he actually thought he could fight without ever practicing fighting. I had a little incident yesterday. I have been at my Shifu's school for over a year and a half. been doing this style for several years in my previous city, and doing martial arts for decades before that. so recently[last two months] my Shifu's kung fu brother has been at the school and he brings along this young like 18 maybe 20 year old guy who severed in the Chinese military. his training is a bit in Sanda and qin na. seems his skills are at least decent. but not a whole lot of realistic experience. so recently the kung fu uncle has been getting more involved with teaching some different skills to my Shifu's students. so yesterday during the pad hitting class, my Shifu's kung fu brother is teaching some basic Sanda skills. the young guy is also walking around acting like a teacher and basically showing off to the younger students.

so at one point the young guy starts trying to teach me some basic punch I learned over 20 years ago. and last weekend he was trying to do some nonsense demo stuff with me. so the whole class is watching now and I lost it. I punched him in the jaw[lightly] while he was TEACHING me. he doesn't. he doesn't try blocking or move, lets out a kind of stunned laugh. he goes on continuing trying to teach me some basic move I learned before he was alive on this earth. and I do it again punch him on the jaw with my other hand. he didn't even prepare for something[I would if this happened to me] so he just continues to run his mouth and I tap his groin with a front instep kick. through all this he never used footwork, tried blocking or defending himself. yet he is teaching me Sanda.

then my Shifu's kung fu brother come up to me later when I'm doing a kicking combination, he starts off with no and shaking his head[here we go,im thinking] he is going to reteach me how to do a round house kick. something I learn thirty years ago. I just couldn't do the whole let me be quiet and pretend I don't know how to do this and let him be the MASTER. I told him in Chinese[I'm tired, I had knee surgery before, and I don't want to give my body any problem].

The funny thing is at 46 and with reconstructive knee surgery, I still train everyday, about two hours. sometimes in the yard by myself sometimes with the kids. The Kung fu uncle and his young apprentice never train. I have never seen either of them train or sweat.
    Good on you Wiz...
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

Blog Entries
    I was on FB and saw this... the "Tai chi Master" getting duffed in push hands. Doesn't look good for the so called master:

You'll probably need to be signed in to FB to watch this:
    https://www.facebook.com/lei.guo.12/...08959005911657
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

Blog Entries
    Most CMA guys don't understand "if you don't spar/wrestle for 3 days, your arms and legs will no longer be yours". No matter how much time that you may spend in "solo" training, you just can't develop

- timing,
    - opportunity, and
    - angle.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I love that you all are sh!tt!ng your pants over this. Xe isn't much younger than the idiot he beat up. And to you morons crying dude wasn't real taiji or whatever other BS...go do better. Go show your "the realz" taiji or stfu like the coward you are.