Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Xu Xiaodong Challenges to Kung Fu

Even though many TCMA are indeed brilliant in concept, they still need to be adapted for the ring if they are to be contested in this manner, When I lived in Taiwan, I was friends with (and sometimes trained with) Lei Tai/Sanda fighters from the Taiwan team, and also with a couple heavyweights who visited periodically from the French team, one of whom was a well-known champion in the sport at the time. They all had TCMA backgrounds, but their fighting in Lei Tai/Sanda was adapted for that style of competition and not “pure” TCMA. Besides TCMA, they all had backgrounds that also included TKD or karate, at least some western boxing, and at least some Muay Thai as well.

This is not to say that TCMA is inferior; but to fight with it in a ring or cage requires it to be specifically adapted and trained for that purpose. Which means training workable skill sets from whichever TCMA it is that ARE within the rules and that can be applied naturally under pressure against experienced fighters who are using MMA or boxing/kickboxing. There are TCMA skills that might work brilliantly in some contexts that would either be forbidden in sport, or would simply be ineffective in a competitive setting. That’s not a knock on TCMA, but it’s where things stand right now. Similar to the way Lyoto Machida adapted his Shotokan karate into MMA. Some people said that isn’t Shotokan, but anyone who is truly familiar with Shotokan can see it in his style; but he had to adapt it and combine it with BJJ and other common skill sets of MMA. One must “know the enemy (opponent) and know one’s self.” Watching lots is fight tapes alone isn’t enough.

IMO, the really effective skills of TCMA that are adaptable into sport fighting shouldn’t take years upon years to apply. The most effective skills used under pressure in any case are usually simple, or fairly simple in execution. TCMA need not be overly complex in application to be high-level TCMA. But it has to be incorporated and trained properly, and the practitioners need to gain real experience to represent in the ring against fighters who are training for the ring all the time. Otherwise, the same thing will continue to happen. If the ‘masters’ who have been squashed in the ring haven’t been doing that; if all they’ve been doing is practicing some traditional applications, playing hands and sparring mostly with awed students and yes-men and thinking they were ready to represent, then they are the ones tarnishing the image of TCMA in the public eye. They’re going to have to “do the work” and take it seriously, and not expect to be like Ip Man in the movies. Anyone representing needs to actually get into proper physical and mental fighting condition, and gain experience under pressure against experienced strangers under ring/cage conditions. And preferably not someone who is 50-something years old, but someone who is young, talented, truly motivated, and with a good, experienced training team behind him who knows how to build up his ring experience to get him up to the proper level. That (and more) is what it’s going to take.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 12-15-2019 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Even though many TCMA are indeed brilliant in concept, they still need to be adapted for the ring if they are to be contested in this manner, When I lived in Taiwan, I was friends with (and sometimes trained with) Lei Tai/Sanda fighters from the Taiwan team, and also with a couple heavyweights who visited periodically from the French team, one of whom was a well-known champion in the sport at the time. They all had TCMA backgrounds, but their fighting in Lei Tai/Sanda was adapted for that style of competition and not “pure” TCMA. Besides TCMA, they all had backgrounds that also included TKD or karate, at least some western boxing, and at least some Muay Thai as well.

This is not to say that TCMA is inferior; but to fight with it in a ring or cage requires it to be specifically adapted and trained for that purpose. Which means training workable skill sets from whichever TCMA it is that ARE within the rules and that can be applied naturally under pressure against experienced fighters who are using MMA or boxing/kickboxing. There are TCMA skills that might work brilliantly in some contexts that would either be forbidden in sport, or would simply be ineffective in a competitive setting. That’s not a knock on TCMA, but it’s where things stand right now. Similar to the way Lyoto Machida adapted his Shotokan karate into MMA. Some people said that isn’t Shotokan, but anyone who is truly familiar with Shotokan can see it in his style; but he had to adapt it and combine it with BJJ and other common skill sets of MMA. One must “know the enemy (opponent) and know one’s self.” Watching lots is fight tapes alone isn’t enough.

IMO, the really effective skills of TCMA that are adaptable into sport fighting shouldn’t take years upon years to apply. The most effective skills used under pressure in any case are usually simple, or fairly simple in execution. TCMA need not be overly complex in application to be high-level TCMA. But it has to be incorporated and trained properly, and the practitioners need to gain real experience to represent in the ring against fighters who are training for the ring all the time. Otherwise, the same thing will continue to happen. If the ‘masters’ who have been squashed in the ring haven’t been doing that; if all they’ve been doing is practicing some traditional applications, playing hands and sparring mostly with awed students and yes-men and thinking they were ready to represent, then they are the ones tarnishing the image of TCMA in the public eye. They’re going to have to “do the work” and take it seriously, and not expect to be like Ip Man in the movies. Anyone representing needs to actually get into proper physical and mental fighting condition, and gain experience under pressure against experienced strangers under ring/cage conditions. And preferably not someone who is 50-something years old, but someone who is young, talented, truly motivated, and with a good, experienced training team behind him who knows how to build up his ring experience to get him up to the proper level. That (and more) is what it’s going to take.
    100% agree with everything you said. Why so sensible?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Djuan View Post
    in all fairness, no one can stain TCMA, and in this thread, anything serious said is not to be taken seriously.
    so I have to agree with you on the staining part, and the bozos he's fighting really are ONLY staining themselves.

To answer your questions and attempt to give the thread some justice, "Pure TCMA" , is totally up to preference, meaning I personally can only define what it means to me like most radical, one sided opinions. In a basic scope though, "Pure" would denote, absence of anything imported from outside recorded Chinese fighting tactics during the time of formation for the base styles, like say, kempo (fusion), or karate (Japanese), anything mixed with those wouldn't be 'PURE' TCMA, even tho karate is old and traditional like a lot of TCMA, and Kempo is based on TCMA.

Traditional means, to me, arts that were formed and had evolved to systems prior to the end of the Qing Dynasty, particularly the time of the Xianfeng Emperor. I use this time span, from about the Norrthern Wei Dynasty around 450, to Qing around 1861, Still, thats not fair to a lot of systems with lineage linked to styles ad families which predate the Qing Dynasty, and vanished because of political persecution, and resurfaced in modern times. Also a lot of historians and martial historians will disagree with my time span, stopping whats deemed as traditional more around the early 1700's , I keep counting because a lot of the Southern schools flourished and developed deeper into the Qing dynasty, some going into the 1900'S. Too many to list. Some will also argue that the best fighters stopped existing before the 1800s...smh
    So the 'traditional' title is a bit flexible, using intelligent discernment however. I will say, a lot of the 'Elder' styles that were formed in feudal times, were battlefield tested. You have the hand vs weapons skills which is spectacular, for instance fist vs. spear, even staff vs sword. stuff like this is timeless and priceless. and then rendered useless to a degree when Europeans made the gun the war standard.
    so lets not forget HOW "western" boxing/mma made room for itself; by going to face the worlds greatest warriors with gun power, diminishing the morale over the course of hundreds of years of invasion and oppression, by the gun, and building a capitalist world that honors the 'gladiator' venue, pushing martial arts into 'combat sports' and the "best" fighters are meat heads for hire.

moving again to thinking critically about TCMA you are dealing with advanced combat systems with a growth spanning thousands of years of warfare and peace. for example; the "bodyguard era(s)", the northern "pirate era", the southern "pirate era", and the boxer rebellion era, all have written accounts of TCMA being deadly and acutely effective, so to shun them off as useless is ignorant. Also these eras forged the styles into what they are today, by demand. Where as MMA was built for sport, and to be regulated, TCMA, was forged in the fire.
    The problem with TCMA and modern MAist is patience. Kung Fu just takes too long to master to them, much less compete for big money. There a major generation gaps in the distribution of TCMA, and yoou have entire lineages being wiped out by the gun or forced into 'ritual training' or performance arts. TCMA is a real thing, and we can prove its worth easily, so I wont hold you.

now to be serious about where all the fighters are is hard lol, I'm really tempted to just say they are hidden in ancient temples spread through out China, and only come out to help the warriors and ninjas travel the Jiang Hu roads. They are banned from fighting publicly for fear they might enter the avatar state. Their Ch'i levels are tooo high etc.....

when I spoke about the fighters, realistically, a lot of them are in SanDa, and some already compete, so I have to be fair in my explanation because that's not what XXD is looking for. he's not looking for Chinas top San Shou or MMA guy, which is what I was sarcastically suggesting; that he goes against the top SanDa fighter with Traditional roots in North or South Shaolin, and get pummeld, or enter a MMA/Kickboxing league to compete in, because beating the old self proclaimed masters is pretty low and cheap, almost as much as those masters claims.

Theres thousands of SanDa fighters in China who are pretty decent, and who started with what can be called TCMA for sure.

Amituofo
    Agreed on the staining. Most likely staining their own pants

OK, fair enough that the definition of purity is your own. In reality though, the majority of CMA that’s around today is actually late Qing to Republic era. Not much left with verifiable roots in Ming and definitely nothing earlier.

I don’t think TCMA are useless at all (otherwise I’m an idiot for having pursued them my whole life). As far as combat effectiveness, they were particularly great in the cold weapon era, as weapons are their foundation.

Yes, some TCMA styles were ‘forged in the fire’, but that was a long time ago and many of the styles that are still around weren’t really forged in the fire in the first place - in fact originating in the ‘ritual training and performance arts’ you mention.

Indeed, there are thousands of spectacularly skilful and tough sanda fighters in China. They are now also making waves in the MMA world and many have also transitioned to become very successful in kickboxing and Muay Thai at the elite international level. Why are all the ‘good fighters’ sanda practitioners? I’ll give you a hint - it’s not the traditional roots.

BT
    Last edited by B.Tunks; 12-15-2019 at 09:35 PM.

Exactly. this is the real topic and deserves its own thread/study without XXD's antics. He's not even interested in TCMA rooted fighters becoming trained for the modern ring/cage sports. he wants people to abandon the idea of TCMA being effective at all.

to my understanding Shaolin/Shaolin villages schools, have been training this way for decades.
    plus , Sanda as a sport, globally, or any CMA for that matter, is not as in demand for pro comp/high paying comp, as MMA, or Thai boxing, so the competing Sanda fighters arent usually as conditioned as Thai boxers. doesnt mean the CMA styles are lesser in capability. The need to get people training in TCMA to be fight ready is a thing, as is the need to get them ring ready. its easy to do, Bruce Lee did it alone in a time when there was less communication, information, popularity and acceptance between MAist in general.

it can be done if people take the time to dissect their traditional styles and rebuild them for modern, high intensity fighting, which is what we are supposed to do with our arts anyway right?
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    Agreed on the staining. Most likely staining their own pants

OK, fair enough that the definition of purity is your own. In reality though, the majority of CMA that’s around today is actually late Qing to Republic era. Not much left with verifiable roots in Ming and definitely nothing earlier.
    Indeed, there are thousands of spectacularly skilful and tough sanda fighters in China. They are now also making waves in the MMA world and many have also transitioned to become very successful in kickboxing and Muay Thai at the elite international level. Why are all the ‘good fighters’ sanda practitioners? I’ll give you a hint - it’s not the traditional roots.

BT
    With "verifiable roots", again, we are gonna leave that to what story one accepts. Some people go with whats popularly accepted, some dig into deep academia, some have a political perspective, and some take the "folk history". I go with the folk history only because it usually the most direct from the people, and void of political or academic agenda.
    I fill in the gaps with research and link the dots. With some common sense, we can draw a picture of the roots of TCMA that makes sense, and in my opinion, there HAD to be organized arts before the Qing dynasty. this is also a talk fit for another thread.

The skills of Sanda are rooted in TCMA, in my opinion, just like Muay Thai. A punch is a punch, an elbow and elbow, a kick a kick, a knee a knee. The only difference is stances. So we are going to say, TCMA is less useful in the ring because techniques come from gong bu? instead of a western boxing stance? thats not common sense, especially since we prractice TCMA and spar with the techniques, we know first hand how easy it is to make TCMA technique work in the ring. The elbow used in muay thai is the same elbow from Luohan Quan, or Da Hong Quan. The fist from Shaolin is the same fist used in boxing. The only difference is the stances in training.
    for instance muay thai/ san shou fighters favorite kick, is just "Hou Deng Tui" from Shaolin Ji Ben Gong. The clinch and knee in Muay thai, is laced all throughout Shaolins most basic form, Xiao Hong Quan. I use this stuff to spar/fight with people who train muay thai, and it works just fine. they think I train muay thai as well.
    So when I say I have faith it works in the ring, I'm speaking from experience. and I know that XXD has access to fighters who are better trained than I am, so thats where my frustration in hearing him rant against TCMA being effective in the modern ring comes from.

I just refuse to accept that XXD cant find himself a beat down from a TCMA fighter in China. Its a circus for CMA, and people love those staged fights lol
    .....I would love to see XXD fight a well trained monk around his age, and try that "rush & pound" shtuff he likes to pull.
    He's not the most skilled fighter at all, his style is brute force, and Shaolin is designed to use that leverage against the opponent. So is Tai Chi, entirely. Thats how you know these 'Tai Chi' guys he's fighting probably dont really train Tai Chi. Or they would have took his momentum away immediately.

Fighting, especially with the arts, is chess, and should show some intellect when trained people fight. I dont see the intelligence in his fighting style, so a skilled, trained intelligent TCMA fighter could pick XXD apart with his own energy....he's not patient, and he's not really trained to go against adept fighters. from observation at least. maybe he's hiding his skill for the true masters.

We'll have to wait and see what his future fights look like lol

Amituofo
    Shaolin Meditator

Djuan,

Verifiable, meaning historically verifiable (and when I say that, I mean by rigorous Western standards). If you think folk history is devoid of political agenda then we live on completely different planets.

I think you may be reading me wrong - there definitely were organized systems prior to Qing. E.g. the Ming was the greatest period of proliferation. Also, of course I agree that the skills of sanda are rooted in TCMA. Its the methodology of sanda that produces superior fighters.

I won't go on about it as your mind seems firmly made up, but if XXD is an unskilled, impatient and unintelligent fighter, relying entirely on brute force etc, then his victories should be even more embarrassing for 'TCMA' - though it should be said that he hasn't actually set out to discredit all TCMA. In fact has previously indicated respect for a number of styles. If you can take the time to listen to his many long rants you may get a better picture of where he's coming from.

I'll cheer too when and if he gets beaten fair and square (though I wont hold my breath waiting). In the meantime, I have to respect what he's doing - particularly as he's placed his own security in jeopardy and permanently sabotaged his future in China.

BT

Djuan,

Verifiable, meaning historically verifiable (and when I say that, I mean by rigorous Western standards). If you think folk history is devoid of political agenda then we live on completely different planets.

I think you may be reading me wrong - there definitely were organized systems prior to Qing. E.g. the Ming was the greatest period of proliferation. Also, of course I agree that the skills of sanda are rooted in TCMA. Its the methodology of sanda that produces superior fighters.

I won't go on about it as your mind seems firmly made up, but if XXD is an unskilled, impatient and unintelligent fighter, relying entirely on brute force etc, then his victories should be even more embarrassing for 'TCMA' - though it should be said that he hasn't actually set out to discredit all TCMA. In fact has previously indicated respect for a number of styles. If you can take the time to listen to his many long rants you may get a better picture of where he's coming from.

I'll cheer too when and if he gets beaten fair and square (though I wont hold my breath waiting). In the meantime, I have to respect what he's doing - particularly as he's placed his own security in jeopardy and permanently sabotaged his future in China.

BT
    Yea I read it wrong lol I was going to say, there are plenty of battlefield accounts, verified even in the West, of organized martial arts being used before the Qing dynasty. glad you cleared that up for me. The folk history I take a liking to, suits no political agenda, and benefits the planet in terms of perspective, no favoritism.
    and I totally agree with XXD in his argument against fake masters / misrepresenters etc, just not his approach. That's all up to preference , its his choice really, I'm only spectating and commenting lol, I'm sure he doesn't care about anyone's opinion about what he's doing. ....and ironically, fighters in China who might possibly be able to beat him up, and are practicing TCMA, probably enjoy his show lol and could care less about beating him up unless he challenges them.

I personally despise tuff talk, especially from anything or anyone MMA thats my peeve, so he strikes a nerve
    if you wanna bully people and make a name, even if you are MMA and have no master or school, you dont go beat up the old 'bozo masters' ....its dishonorable no matter how you look at ....at least in my scope of the martial art community. we were all taught "Dont fight the weaker" right?

For reflection, would you, personally go out of your way to challenge someone you know you can beat? and they didn't bother you.. lol what are you really proving then?

meh....maybe I'm old fashioned , or just fantasizing about a martial art community with better ethics.
    Shaolin Meditator

Despite all the TCMA fanfare and up to the 1940s, shuaijiao was still a better than average martial system and the many had experience with it when they served. Of course, those who used "big swords", wrsetling had a strong hold as a supplement not unlike slef defense but all this lineage stuff did a lot to messup the minds of those seeking some connection that allowed for fame and prestige.

Even XXD's strategy is a 'tradtional" pattern of assessing the skills of those who prefessed some God like message in their lineage by storming the school and fighting the master. In that sense, there is a persistance of that mentality while breaking up the inneundo of magic CMA as in the rebellions of the past using trickery to defeat bullets, or even people like those masters who were making their students fall down but once they got in the ring, they never lasted 2 minutes

Recent "MMA vs KUNG FU" in China

this video is from 'Fight Commentary' youtube: says the Kung Fu fighter does "shijia" .....which I never heard of, so I'm thinking he meant "Shuai Jiao" some one correct it if you know otherwise. I saw what looked like pure Songshan Shaolin going on, maybe thats my bias eyes again .....anyway heres a nice example of 'kung fu in the ring' practice from China, relative so Im sharing.
    Kung Fu Master Gives MMA Coach A Hard Time During Hard Sparring

this next video is from MMAShredded youtube channel: the channels main man is in Taiwan sparring with the ONE Championship CHAMP, and his students, one of which uses "kung fu in the ring", it looks like Wing Chun mostly, though I might be wrong, so again, if you see otherwise correct it. This is what I was saying XXD has access to, and they are already in the gym filming. he doesnt need money or sponsors, and I'm sure they would fight/spar/train with XXD for the love/fun/sport of it. I have a more refreshing satisfying time watching these little sparring matches, then XXD's big sponsored WWE esq circus matches.

Shaolin Meditator

Quote Originally Posted by Djuan View Post
    this video is from 'Fight Commentary' youtube: says the Kung Fu fighter does "shijia" .....which I never heard of, so I'm thinking he meant "Shuai Jiao" some one correct it if you know otherwise. I saw what looked like pure Songshan Shaolin going on, maybe thats my bias eyes again .....anyway heres a nice example of 'kung fu in the ring' practice from China, relative so Im sharing.
    Kung Fu Master Gives MMA Coach A Hard Time During Hard Sparring
    He was NOT talking about Shuai Jiao. He is saying “Shi Jia” and the Chinese characters for “Shi Jia” or whatever style it is appear at the bottom left of the screen at about 0:10. I’d never heard of it, either. Maybe it’s a southern style, and if so, it would be something-Ga or -Gar. Interesting, but I cannot stand listening to the speaker’s voice. I’d have to watch it again later with the sound muted.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 12-17-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Interesting, but I cannot stand listening to the speaker’s voice. I’d have to watch it again later with the sound muted.
    thanks for clearing that up! I like the channel because theey dig up some nice videos, HOWEVER, I share your sentiment and usually watch them on mute, save the intro for wherewithal!
    Shaolin Meditator

China's 'Mad Dog' fighter Xu Xiaodong enters the battle of his life

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

^ this was fair as fight forr XXD, and I love that he said he "just wants to vent his anger" , THATS more like it. Honest and level.
    he can get more respect from the martial art community, and most importantly, from himself, later on in retrospect.

the guy he faught seemed a little tired, Name:  Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 11.12.22 AM.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  73.2 KB still a fair fight generally. would like to see the whole thing round for round.

Amituofo!
    Shaolin Meditator

What struck me the most about that fight...

...was Lumpinee was empty. I've been there - it's one of those martial pilgrimages you just have to make when in Bangkok. I went when there were these amatuer kids fighting, real low level stuff, very cheap, and the place was much more full for that than it was for this fight. Makes me wonder how big the whole thing is. I mean, you can make anything look big on the interwebz, ya know?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...was Lumpinee was empty. I've been there - it's one of those martial pilgrimages you just have to make when in Bangkok. I went when there were these amatuer kids fighting, real low level stuff, very cheap, and the place was much more full for that than it was for this fight. Makes me wonder how big the whole thing is. I mean, you can make anything look big on the interwebz, ya know?
    The audience was probably almost exclusively made up of Mainland Chinese wanting to see XXD demolish a flabby Japanese kickboxer. Probably not what the native crowd would care much about.