Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Xu Xiaodong Challenges to Kung Fu

Stay Calm and Carry On

Quote Originally Posted by Djuan View Post
    booyah!!

..... maybe you, Xu Xiaodong, are rubbish!! .......lets see Xiaodumb challenge Shi Yan Lei
    Yan Lei is mentioned a lot on our Shaolin Temple UK thread in our Shaolin forum. I'm copying this from our Xu Xiaodong Challenges to Kung Fu. Xu does seem to cherry pick his opponents.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

you are right in many ways

Thats a good 'move' for fengg shui in general , I'm not giving mr. xu anymore attention, it was just right on time lol hearing Shifu Yan Lei say that about people who talk about TCMA or any MA as if they know or possess the holy key of all martial arts. Xus argument is really all for publicity/money, whos publicity, I dont know. I do know if you wanted to be a TCMA mixed martial artist, you could be. lol Shui Jiao/Chin Na/San Shou ....there you go, Bruce Lee could even be named the FIRST MIXED MARTIAL ARTIST, guess what his foundation was? TCMA, Wing Chun.

Amituofo
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator

People have been "mixing"/combining/modifying martial arts systems/styles for centuries. Northern Tanglang (Mantis), Choy Lee Fut, Hung Ga, Kano's Jiu-Jitsu/Judo, Sh!to-ryu Karate, Hapkido, Kenpo/Kajukenbo, etc., are only a few of the countless examples of martial arts that came about due to mixing and combining at least two or more different pre-existing systems. Bruce Lee was NOT the first mixed martial artist, only the most famous.

I'm sure that virtually every "traditional" MA in existence has undergone (or is the result of) at least some degree of cross-pollination. But the sport of modern MMA has taken 'ownership' of the term "mixed martial arts," so that to them and most other people, "MMA" only refers to the combination of BJJ, boxing, Muay Thai and wrestling, and to a lesser degree including Judo, TKD, etc.

My first Karate teacher back in the 1970s was a "mixed martial artist", combining Kenpo Karate (already a modernized mixed art by itself) with western boxing, wrestling, Jujutsu, Kali/Escrima, and some CMA concepts into a very effective system (meaning, not just some disorganized hodge-podge of 'a little of this and a little of that'). We also trained/sparred with pro kickboxers and some former amateur and pro boxers, several of whom were also students/assistant instructors there. This predated the sport of modern MMA (at least in the US) by many years.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 06-17-2019 at 11:22 AM.

srsly?

Xu Xiaodong only beat me because I’m vegetarian, says wing chun ‘master’ who compares himself to Bruce Lee
    Lu Gang blames his diet for getting pulverised in less than a minute by Chinese MMA fighter
    Pressure point master says he was ‘too skinny’ to fight as he only eats 20 meals per month
    Nicolas Atkin
    Published: 10:31am, 6 Jun, 2019

Lu Gang is blaming his malnutrition for his embarrassing defeat by Xu Xiaodong. Photos: YouTube

There seems to be something about food when it comes to martial arts frauds making excuses for the crushing defeats they are dealt by Chinese MMA fighter Xu Xiaodong.
    Wing chun practitioner Ding Hao only got pulverised by Xu last year because he was hungry and wasn’t given enough rice before the fight, according to his shifu (or coach).
    Now wing chun dim mak (pressure point) “master” Lu Gang is blaming his vegetarianism for getting obliterated by “Mad Dog” in less than a minute last month.
    Never mind that Lu was knocked down three times and had his nose broken before the referee mercilessly intervened – it was just his constant fasting that threw off his game.

In a new posting on Chinese social media, Lu said he only eats around 20 meals per month – and because he is vegetarian he is chronically malnourished.
    “I’m too skinny, I didn’t have enough mass to fight Xu,” Lu is quoted as saying in a translation by Jerry Liu of YouTube channel Fight Commentary Breakdowns.
    Xu weighed around 100lbs (45 kilograms) more than Lu for the fight. But before the bout, Lu had said his wing chun techniques would be too much for Xu to handle, and that he could punch harder and faster than the 41-year-old.
    “My speed is quicker,” Lu had said. He also claimed he was much more skilled and flexible than his opponent – and had even likened his skills to Bruce Lee.
    “My dim mak has become completely part of me,” he said. “It’s like lightning speed, it’ll just come out. Just like Bruce Lee’s jeet kune do. A lot of times my dim mak, I don’t even know what I’m going to throw.”

Xu Xiaodong’s hand is raised after beating Lu Gang – and breaking his nose.

YouTube commenters didn’t have much sympathy for Lu after his latest excuse, though, and many poked fun at him.
    “I think this wing chun ‘master’ is a good example that ‘you are what you eat’ because at this point it’s obvious this guy is a vegetable,” one user wrote.
    “Vegetarians, hell even vegans can put weight on,” said another. “I think the reason he lost is because HE CAN’T FIGHT.”
    “The Wing Chun master just needed to eat some chicken fried rice and he would have been okay,” joked another user.

THREADS
    Wing Chun 'Master' Ding Hao
    ironfist view on protein, vegetarianism
    Xu Xiaodong Challenges to Kung Fu
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm sure the broken nose impacted his way of thinking and delusions of grandeur. Sporting events are excellent venue for those who need such lessons in the laws of physics.* Also needs to take on a slab of ribs before his next bout.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 06-18-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    I'm sure the broken nose impacted his way of thinking and delusions of grandeur. Sporting events are excellent venue for those who need such lessons in the laws of physics.* Also needs to take on a slab of ribs before his next bout.
    This is true. Unfortunately, both Ding Hao and Lu Gang (and maybe even that first Taiji guy) are in full denial and will never admit they lost. Whatever personal growth they could have gotten from the experience has also been lost. So sadly, the lesson hasn't really been learned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    People have been "mixing"/combining/modifying martial arts systems/styles for centuries. Northern Tanglang (Mantis), Choy Lee Fut, Hung Ga, Kano's Jiu-Jitsu/Judo, Sh!to-ryu Karate, Hapkido, Kenpo/Kajukenbo, etc., are only a few of the countless examples of martial arts that came about due to mixing and combining at least two or more different pre-existing systems. Bruce Lee was NOT the first mixed martial artist, only the most famous.

I'm sure that virtually every "traditional" MA in existence has undergone (or is the result of) at least some degree of cross-pollination. But the sport of modern MMA has taken 'ownership' of the term "mixed martial arts," so that to them and most other people, "MMA" only refers to the combination of BJJ, boxing, Muay Thai and wrestling, and to a lesser degree including Judo, TKD, etc.

My first Karate teacher back in the 1970s was a "mixed martial artist", combining Kenpo Karate (already a modernized mixed art by itself) with western boxing, wrestling, Jujutsu, Kali/Escrima, and some CMA concepts into a very effective system (meaning, not just some disorganized hodge-podge of 'a little of this and a little of that'). We also trained/sparred with pro kickboxers and some former amateur and pro boxers, several of whom were also students/assistant instructors there. This predated the sport of modern MMA (at least in the US) by many years.

I agree totally, I'd say if you are a martial artist beyond one learning, meaning, the moment your art, or the art you learned, begins to have your own 'flavor' to it, you begin 'mixing' things you pick from every where, for instance, the calligrapher who began implementing brush stroke wrist maneuvers into their hand to hand combat, or the Mantis example, by the story, mantis was founded by mixingg movements of mantis in with other alreadyb present fighting skill, correct me if Im wrong, from what I know , that vaguely the story. We are all mixed martial artist in every sense of the word, with or with out the existence of the sport. I see Bruce Lee as the most popular exemplar of the "MMA" of today, the people who we can say combined the styles for the sport, today, took his blueprint for sure, coming out of that era, everybody was sticking to their root, he was breaking tradition in that time, the way he went about it.

for XU, its all for publicity I say, a big mess that does more distraction to the martial art community than it does good. who cares though and Im not complaining, lol we still have the WWE going strong and no one is blinking about it , so I suppose we have to let Xu have his spotlight. he's not hurting anything when you really think about it, TCMA could never be defaced, by anyone, great warriors, weak warriors, attention warriors, pension warriors etc.....doesnt matter at all

Amituofo
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator

Somewhere over the rainbow...to OZ

Censored MMA fighter Xu Xiaodong says he’ll leave China to become an Australian citizen
    Outspoken ‘Mad Dog’ says ‘all patriots are going abroad … long live China’
    ‘I’m learning from you, I’m leaving too,’ says Xu in sarcastic rant at Chinese actors
    Nicolas Atkin
    Published: 11:40am, 19 Jun, 2019

Xu Xiaodong delivers his passionate rant. Photo: YouTube/Fight Commentary Breakdowns

Outspoken Chinese MMA fighter Xu Xiaodong has said he wants to leave China and become an Australian citizen.
    “Mad Dog” has made it his mission to expose fake kung fu over the past two years by pulverising fraudulent traditional martial arts “masters” – but his actions have drawn the ire of Chinese authorities.
    In a bizarre video posted to Chinese social media where he is wearing some kind of medieval knight’s helmet, Xu railed against his treatment in his home country.
    “I want to see how I can become Australian,” Xu said, according to a translation by YouTube channel Fight Commentary Breakdowns. “Apparently, I can only become a resident but I’ll try for Australian citizenship. You ask me why? Because I love my country. You understand? Because I love my country, so I’m becoming Australian.”

In a situation some observers have pointed out seems like an episode straight out of Black Mirror, Xu’s presence is being censored in China. He is disappearing from Chinese search engine listings, while he had to compete at his last fight – he broke a weedy wing chun practitioner’s nose in a one-minute beat down – with a demeaning nickname while wearing cartoonish face paint, under threat that the event would not otherwise go ahead.
    Xu also had to take a 36-hour overnight train from Beijing to that fight in Karamay because of restrictions placed on him for his low social credit score – something earned for insulting tai chi “grandmaster” Chen Xiaowang.
    Xu had been ordered by the courts to pay the self-proclaimed “world-renowned” Chen – who was born in Chenjiagou in 1945 but relocated to Australia when he was 45 – around 400,000 yuan (US$58,000) in damages, and publicly apologise on Chinese social media for seven straight days.
    “I’m really going to Australia. I’m getting help,” Xu said. “The worst comes to worst, I’ll get adopted by an Australian father.
    “I’ll copy Chen Xiaowang. Because I love China, I’ll get adopted by an Australian daddy.”

Chen Xiaowang is a ‘grandmaster’ in taijiquan. Photo: chenxiaowang.com

Xu’s latest rant seemed to have been inspired by the 2009 Chinese propaganda blockbuster Founding of a Republic – an epic made by state-owned China Film Group which marked the 60th anniversary of the Communist revolution and featured a cast made up of almost 200 of China’s best-known stars.
    Xu said he was an “idiot” for watching the film. “Good going, Founding of a Republic,” Xu said, sarcastically. “Guo Degang was Chinese, the other 70 per cent were foreigners. Go look it up.”
    The cast includes prominent Hong Kong actors such as Andy Lau, Leon Lai, Donnie Yen, Jackie Chan, John Woo, Sun Xing and Tony Leung Ka-fai. Jet Li, who is a naturalised Singaporean citizen, also stars in the film.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

“It’s all either Hong Kong or other nations,” Xu said, reeling off a list of actors in the film. “Is that funny? You love your country for long. You’re all patriots? American.”
    Xu also brought up the Chinese news anchor Liu Xin of the state-run CGTN, who verbally jousted with Fox News reporter Trish Regan in a couple of televised debates. Liu is married to a German citizen of Turkish descent, with whom she has two Western-educated children.
    “Her [Liu’s] husband is Turkish, her son is Turkish,” Xu said. “Is that funny? Is it sad? All patriots are Australian.”

Xu Xiaodong wears face paint for his last fight, for which he also had to use a demeaning nickname. Photo: YouTube/Fight Commentary Breakdowns

The 41-year-old also named a famous Chinese brand whose chairman he said has a Canadian passport.
    “All Canadian,” Xu added, before listing more famous Chinese people he said had foreign passports.
    “Tell me not to say nonsense. Everyone is leaving. I’m learning from you. I’m leaving too, because I love my country. All patriots are going abroad. ‘There’s no crime in being a patriot. Long live China’.”

Tian Ye after his battering by Xu Xiaodong in January. Photo: YouTube/Fight Commentary Breakdowns

Xu then made fun of famous kung fu actor and Wolf Warrior 2 star Wu Jing, impersonating his voice, and said he “uses a foreign phone” and “drives an American jeep”.
    “You’re all fake – stop pretending,” Xu said. “When it’s time to step up, where will you be? Don’t mess with me. That includes Wu Jing’s people. Don’t pretend you’re someone big. I’ll talk smack about who I want.”
    Mentioning another actor, Xu said: “Don’t mess with me, I’ll reveal all the dirt on you.”
    Ever read Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst? This reminds me of that.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Nicolas Atkin, the guy who wrote that last article, seems to be taking a rather disrespectful attitude towards Chen Xiaowang, calling him "self-proclaimed world-renowned." Now I don't personally have any stake in Chen Xiaowang or his MA one way or another, but the fact is, he IS world-renowned. He has been for a very long time. Care about him or not, he IS a very credible MAist and teacher, and rightfully may be called a master or grandmaster. Even though I myself feel dubious about the title grandmaster, if that's how Chen is referred to, then use it when referring to Chen, without the mocking quotation marks.

This Atkin guy appears to be lumping Chen Xiaowang together with the guys that Xu has beaten up. As Gene has said, Xu would most likely beat Chen in a bout, but there's over a 30-year age difference, too. That doesn't mean Chen's not 100% legitimate. It's clear that Atkin is not a MAist (unless maybe he's one of those MMA dabblers/hangers-on). Chen has probably been "world-famous" longer than this Atkin guy has been alive. Maybe Atkin should have done a little research before showing his ignorance.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 06-21-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Yuen Kay San Wing Chun

Most Tai Chi Guys don't do anything other than push hands. With out sparring you never learn how to apply your sensitivity training in an realistic way.
    Most training is aerobic at best. How ever sparring is like running fast or sprinting its anerobic. You working different strength and stressing different weaknesses. Of course with anything the first time you do something you will suck. Skill comes with practice. The key is to spar either light or heavy with non-compliant fighters you would readily encounter on the street, Not the same people with the knowledge of your style in your school.

When someone with no training and ton of fighting experiences meets someone with zero fighting experience and a ton of training the untrained experienced fighter will win most times. Because fighting has certain things that works and doesn't work. An when you fight alot you learn what that is.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Nicolas Atkin, the guy who wrote that last article, seems to be taking a rather disrespectful attitude towards Chen Xiaowang, calling him "self-proclaimed world-renowned." Now I don't personally have any stake in Chen Xiaowang or his MA one way or another, but the fact is, he IS world-renowned. He has been for a very long time. Care about him or not, he IS a very credible MAist and teacher, and rightfully may be called a master or grandmaster. Even though I myself feel dubious about the title grandmaster, if that's how Chen is referred to, then use it when referring to Chen, without the mocking quotation marks.

This Atkin guy appears to be lumping Chen Xiaowang together with the guys that Xu has beaten up. As Gene has said, Xu would most likely beat Chen in a bout, but there's over a 30-year age difference, too. That doesn't mean Chen's not 100% legitimate. It's clear that Atkin is not a MAist (unless maybe he's one of those MMA dabblers/hangers-on). Chen has probably been "world-famous" longer than this Atkin guy has been alive. Maybe Atkin should have done a little research before showing his ignorance.
    "World famous" is not a criteria for the proliferation of a martial system. What is important is the skill and its enhancement with those who practice and 'revere' the art.
    Chen Xiaowang has showed such in his travels.

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    "World famous" is not a criteria for the proliferation of a martial system. What is important is the skill and its enhancement with those who practice and 'revere' the art.
    Chen Xiaowang has showed such in his travels.
    That is true.

My point was that Chen Xiaowang is famous for good reason, and is not some fraud who only proclaims himself a world-renowned grandmaster. The tone of the article seemed to imply that because he teaches Taiji, (a "traditional" MA), and was targeted by Xu Xiaodong, that Chen's credentials are therefore suspect.

As I mentioned, I'm not a Taiji person (Yang, Chen, Wu, or otherwise); I have no connection to Chen Xiaowang or his MA, and therefore have no stake in the matter. But AFAIK, and from all accounts I've read over the years, Chen Xiaowang is 100% legit and has earned it, and not by defrauding his students.

Anybody has the right to question anybody. But it also behooves one to do at least the minimal amount of research before taking a dismissive tone about someone. Regardless of whether or not Chen could beat Xu in some match NOW, he is not in the same category as the guys that Xu has beaten down.

Arguments of style superiority and inferiority have gone on forever in the MA world (which is one of the reasons I no longer participate in the "MA world" and rarely even discuss MA at all anymore). But the current climate has gotten even worse, where dismissing all MAists as fakes and frauds because they don't practice or teach MMA or one of its four main arts/sports that comprise it, is now fully acceptable and has a much wider and louder platform, including (and especially) by ignorant people like that article's writer (and he's far from the only one).

As I've also mentioned, when I initially heard where Xu Xiaodong was coming from, what he said made a lot of sense and I was on his side. And much of what he's saying now may still be true. But his crusade overstepped its bounds when he openly disrespected Chen Xiaowang. It's crossed over into purely a-hole behavior, and the last thing the world needs right now is another a-hole.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 06-23-2019 at 09:11 AM.

Counter suit

Let's see how Oz reacts.

Xu Xiaodong wants to countersue tai chi ‘grandmaster’ in Australian court by pursuing citizenship
    ‘Mad Dog’ is looking for someone to sponsor him to become an Australian citizen so he can bring a case there against Chen Xiaowang
    The outspoken MMA fighter had to pay nearly US$40,000 in damages and publicly apologise to Chen for accusing him of being a fraud
    SCMP Reporter
    Published: 6:29pm, 23 Jun, 2019

Xu Xiaodong (left) had to publicly apologise to tai chi ‘grandmaster’ Chen Xiaowang (right) and pay him damages. Photos: Tom Wang/Twitter

Xu Xiaodong has said he intends to countersue the tai chi “grandmaster” Chen Xiaowang, who won a Chinese court case that forced him to pay damages last month.
    The outspoken Chinese MMA fighter had claimed in a rant on social media earlier this week that he intends to move to Australia because “everyone is leaving China”. Chen relocated to Australia in 1990 having been born in Chenjiagou in 1945.
    But he revealed there are further reasons behind his plan. “I want to acquire Australian citizenship, if I can find someone to sponsor and help me with that,” Xu told SCMP’s Inkstone over WeChat, China’s WhatsApp-like mega app.
    “Chen’s tai chi is not real kung fu, it’s more for show. I think he’s promoting fraudulent information in China, so I want to acquire Australian citizenship so I can bring a court case against him in Australia.”
    Chen brought the original case against Xu in a Beijing court for accusing him of faking a win against another fighter in a televised match.
    Xu was ordered to pay a US$6,700 fine and to make a public apology, which he refused to do. That led to him being banned from flying, taking high-speed trains and booking hotels, among other restrictions, as part of punishments under China’s social credit system.

He eventually apologised, and the restrictions have been lifted, but he said he ended up paying around US$37,250 after legal fees and the cost of paying for a public apology to be placed.
    Xu’s plans to move to Australia amid increasing censorship being placed on him in China. He said he wore a Spartan helmet in his online live stream where he announced his plans to leave China because he wanted to cover his face to evade online censorship.
    He said his social media accounts get shut down more frequently if he doesn’t cover his face. He also had to wear face paint and use a demeaning nickname – “Winter Melon” – in order to have his last fight live-streamed.
    That is true.

My point was that Chen Xiaowang is famous for good reason, and is not some fraud who only proclaims himself a world-renowned grandmaster. The tone of the article seemed to imply that because he teaches Taiji, (a "traditional" MA), and was targeted by Xu Xiaodong, that Chen's credentials are therefore suspect.

As I mentioned, I'm not a Taiji person (Yang, Chen, Wu, or otherwise); I have no connection to Chen Xiaowang or his MA, and therefore have no stake in the matter. But AFAIK, and from all accounts I've read over the years, Chen Xiaowang is 100% legit and has earned it, and not by defrauding his students.
    Totally agree Jimbo. Putting 'grandmaster' in quotes is disrespectful and when CMA disrespects its elders, we are undone.

THREAD
    Grandmaster Chen Xiaowang
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Xu v Lu

I gotta agree with Xu on this one. 3 years? srsly? Lu Hang is coat-tailing. It's ironic when one viral ***** picks up baggage, like lamprey to a shark.

Anyone have access to Xu's 17 “fake” tai chi masters list?

Xu Xiaodong calls tai chi master a ‘cheat’ for backing out of ‘10 million yuan’ fight

Master Lu Hang still wants to teach the Chinese MMA fighter a lesson – after he completes three years of training, which he plans to live-stream every day
    Xu blasts the ‘shameful’ Yang-style taijiquan master for ‘using my popularity’ to make a name for himself on social media
    Nicolas Atkin
    Published: 4:30pm, 26 Jun, 2019

One of Xu Xiaodong’s Weibo posts about tai chi master Lu Hang.

Xu Xiaodong has called tai chi master Lu Hang a “cheat” for backing out of a fight after offering the Chinese MMA fighter 10 million yuan (US$1.45 million) if he beat him.
    Sichuanese Yang-style master Lu, who claims to be the No 1 martial arts fighter in China, said he still wants to teach Xu Xiaodong a lesson – but only after he has completed three years of intense training, which he plans to showcase on a daily live-stream.
    “I think Lu is a cheat,” Xu told the Post. “He wants to become an influencer using my popularity.”
    Their original beef came about after Xu posted to Chinese social media a list of 17 “fake” tai chi masters he had compiled, with Lu ranked at No 7.
    Xu also shared a recording on his Weibo timeline of a phone call between the two, where Lu challenges him to a fight and says he would give “Mad Dog” 10 million yuan if he lost.
    The 41-year-old Xu had told the Post last week that he and Lu were still discussing details for a fight date, but Lu appeared to back down in a lengthy statement posted on Toutiao, another Chinese social media platform.
    Xu Xiaodong wants to countersue tai chi ‘grandmaster’ in Australian court by pursuing citizenship
    Lu wrote that after he finishes three years of training, he plans on challenging all different kinds of martial arts masters from around the world, including Xu.
    Xu wrote on his Weibo timeline that Lu should be fired or resign from his role in the Chinese Yang-style taijiquan general assembly after his comments.
    “We are not competing for the length of wordings,” Xu added, poking fun at Lu’s Toutiao post. “Sorry, I can’t finish reading this, my eyes feel pain. Please tell me Lu Hang whether you want to fight or not, and when.”

Xu Xiaodong had to wear face paint and use an alias for his most recent fight, where he broke wing chun master Lu Gang’s nose. Photo: YouTube/Fight Commentary Breakdowns

Users on Toutiao seemed to share Xu’s sentiment. “Write so much? Do you still have time to practice?” one commented on Lu’s post. “After reading it, I felt that tai chi gave my mind a stupid practice,” another said.
    In another Weibo post earlier this month, Xu said Lu had invited him as a guest to his training room to take photos.
    “Two days later, suddenly there was news on the internet saying I came to challenge Yang-style taiji master Lu Hang but lost, and after the fight we took photos together,” Xu said. “Using this kind of dirty little tricks, taijiquan is so shameful.”

Xu Xiaodong wears a Spartan helmet to hide his appearance during a social media live-stream. Photo: YouTube/Fight Commentary Breakdowns

Xu told the Post that if he fights Lu he will need to wear face paint and adopt an alias again, as he did for his last bout against wing chun master Lu Gang.
    The 41-year-old was billed with the demeaning nickname “Winter Melon” for that fight in Karamay last month, with organisers saying the bout could not be live-streamed unless Xu concealed his identity.
    Xu also wore a Spartan helmet in one of his latest social media live streams, where he said he wanted to leave China and seek Australian citizenship. He said his social media accounts get taken down more frequently if his face is visible in his videos.

Inkstone’s Qin Chen contributed to this article.
    This article appeared in the South China Morning Post print edition as: Fight feud: tai chi master is a ‘cheat’
    THREADS
    A Challenge
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips