Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Xu Xiaodong Challenges to Kung Fu

Wink Get xu xiadong a real fight

(as much as I want to see this thread dissapear, I had to say this )

after learning about Shi Deru training Cung Le, this made Xu's argument even more retarded, and now his fights seem more suspect. every reputable school in Dengfeng has San Da along with taolu and traditional training.

somebody needs to send Xu xiaodong to Dengfeng and arrange him a proper challenge with a wuseng or disciple thereof around his age. just for sport and integrity, can we make this happen? if the community will allow charlatans to call bluffs and put on circus acts, ones cant complain that media or the MA world has a distorted outlook on traditional CMA.

we would love to see justice and harmony, and we shouldnt allow people to just talk out of their necks, and promote their garbage jut because it was filmed. there are PLENTY of traditional fighters who can serve Xu an answer, and he doesnt even have to travel west.

I get that no one takes him serious, to a degree, I also know some of you share the same perspective / sentiment that I do, and agree that he should get a proper answer. I dont like people making WWE scenarios out of any type of "KungFu" or TCMA. I dont get why this fight isnt happening.
    lol even Yi Long, in my opinon, can beat Xu Xiaodong , and that fight would make money on base fact of there "extravagant" reputations. Though I'd rather see someone physically qualified, his age, and most important who has actually trained at Shaolin or been trained by real Wuseng.

just my thought on it. if he really wants a fight, he should get it.

Amituofo
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator

More follow up on Xu & HK

I'm surprised the PRC hasn't Bingbinged Xu yet.

AUG 19
    ‘There are no rioters’: Chinese fighter breaks ranks to defend Hongkongers

Photo: SCMP/Tom Wang
    by Qin Chen

Over the past week, nationalist fury has enveloped China’s internet, prompting actors, musicians and other public figures in the mainland to criticize the continuing anti-government protests in Hong Kong.

Against this backdrop, outspoken Chinese mixed martial arts fighter Xu Xiaodong has bucked the trend by speaking up for Hongkongers on social media.

On Sunday, Xu, who has controversially made a name for himself by challenging what he calls “fake” kung fu masters, wrote on Twitter that Hong Kong is a world-class free market with quality higher education and a robust entertainment industry.

He condemned some violent clashes between protesters and police as illegal acts that must be punished according to the law. But, he added, those were individual cases and should not be amplified to drive a wedge between Hongkongers and mainlanders.

徐晓冬 北京格斗狂人
    @Xuxiaodong3

4:11 PM - Aug 17, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    495 people are talking about this
    “You can’t call all Hongkongers rioters. Can you call all 7 million Hong Kong residents rioters? Can you call 2 million demonstrators rioters?” Xu told Inkstone.

“Hong Kong is a member of our family. We should love and protect Hongkongers, and stand in unity with them. There are no rioters in Hong Kong, only unlawful individuals,” he added.

Xu’s remarks pit himself against increasingly tough rhetoric in state-run media calling for the Hong Kong unrest to be put down by force.

Last Monday, China’s official news agency Xinhua called the protesters rioters, saying they had created “black terror,” in reference to their black T-shirts. This happened after a weekend of violent clashes.

Millions of protestors attended a peaceful rally in Hong Kong on Sunday afternoon. Photo: SCMP/Dickson Lee

One of the movement’s main demands is for the Hong Kong government to withdraw the use of the word “riot” in relation to protests. Anyone found guilty of rioting faces a maximum of 10 years in prison.

Xu told Inkstone that after posting about Hong Kong on Twitter, he was visited at home by the authorities and questioned about his views.

Sunday marked the beginning of the 11th consecutive week of protests in Hong Kong. The movement began in June against a now-suspended extradition bill, but it has evolved into a wider call for greater democracy and protecting Hong Kong's civil liberties.

Xu did point out that Hong Kong is part of Chinese territory and said China should honor the “one country, two systems” framework underpinning its relationship with Hong Kong.

His supportive comments about Hong Kong put him squarely at odds with the larger nationalist movement, which went into overdrive in mainland China last week after a Chinese journalist was beaten and tied up by protesters at Hong Kong’s airport.

In 2017, a video of Xu knocking out tai chi master Wei Lei in 10 seconds went viral.

Xu is best known for exposing what he calls “fake” kung fu masters in high-profile matches.

His outspoken challenges to the martial arts establishment have previously have brought him lawsuits.

But the possible consequences don’t seem to hold Xu back from speaking his mind on contentious issues.

When asked if he was concerned about deviating from the official mainland Chinese view on Hong Kong, Xu said he was worried but wanted to exercise his right to speak freely, citing the Chinese constitution.

Qin Chen
    Qin is a multimedia producer at Inkstone. Most recently, she was a senior video producer for The New Yorker’s video team. Prior to that she was at CNBC, making short documentaries and writing about how technology shapes lives.
    THREADS
    Xu Xiaodong Challenges to Kung Fu
    Hong Kong protests
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

a long form piece from Deadspin

He Never Intended To Become A Political Dissident, But Then He Started Beating Up Tai Chi Masters

Illustration: Benjamin Currie (G/O Media)

Lauren Teixeira
    39 minutes ago

On a recent Thursday evening in August, a 40-year-old MMA gym owner in Beijing named Xu Xiaodong activated his VPN, hopped over the Chinese government’s internet firewall, and began his first-ever live YouTube broadcast. He wanted to talk about the ongoing protests in Hong Kong, in which hundreds of thousands of citizens have demonstrated against mainland China’s attempts to circumvent Hong Kong’s autonomy and civil liberties. Xu looked into the camera and took a stance on the protests that few, if any, of his countrymen living on the mainland were willing to publicly take: “Hong Kong people are Chinese. I am Chinese. So I love Hong Kong,” he said. “I don’t believe that there are so many violent thugs there.”

Word of Xu’s broadcast spread rapidly throughout the Chinese-speaking world. It was moving to many in Hong Kong, who have found people from the mainland to be publicly unsympathetic at best, and viciously hostile at worst, to their struggle. The comments section under the YouTube video soon flooded with support and praise for Xu’s bravery.

Xu’s livestream didn’t go unnoticed by the Chinese authorities, who had been using Chinese state media to portray the Hong Kong protestors as members of a rabid, violent mob. Four days after the livestream was posted, state security showed up at Xu’s apartment and took him in for questioning.

Xu wasn’t fazed by this development. He’d already spent several years getting used to living under the watchful and punitive eye of the Chinese government while becoming, somewhat by accident, one of the country’s most famous dissidents. But the government’s constant attention hadn’t previously been drawn by any fiery political statements. Xu would be the first to tell you that he’s more of a troll at heart than political rebel, and he’s become a target of the state for reasons that are much more fitting of his personality: He likes to talk ****, and he likes to fight.

Since 2015, Xu has been the director, producer, and host of a lively one-man martial arts talk show called Brother Dong’s Hot Takes that he self-distributes via his various social media accounts. Each episode features Xu speaking, sometimes quite passionately, about whatever is riling him up that day. One recurring bit that initially gained Hot Takes a cult following was Xu’s profanity laced call-outs of “fakes,” or pianzi, in the Chinese martial arts world.

These callouts were inspired by what Xu calls a “bad wind” of fake tai chi masters penetrating the national consciousness. This was largely thanks to government intervention. Traditional Chinese martial arts (wushu), and tai chi in particular, are a core component of what President Hu Jintao called in 2007 the “great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation.” Since rising to power in 2013, President Xi Jinping has redoubled efforts to promote and spread “traditional Chinese culture”—which includes tai chi as well as traditional Chinese medicine (TCM)—through a battery of subsidies, policy interventions, and good old-fashioned propaganda. Last year, it became mandatory for students in southeastern China’s Fujian Province to prove mastery of 24 tai chi moves in order to graduate from high school. Only a few months ago, state mouthpiece People’s Daily announced the establishment of the “People’s Tai Chi Development Alliance,” which purports to be aimed at making tai chi “fashionable” for young people and showcasing the accomplishments of Chinese civilization to the world.

Meanwhile, grandmasters from across China’s martial arts schools were called on to hype up tai chi in the media. In a 2013 program called The Showdown Show, the famed 12th-generation Chen-style tai chi master Wang Zhanhai showed how he could harness his energy to fling off four musclebound attackers in a single movement. On another episode of the show, the 76-year-old pressure point (dianxue) master Zhang Zhenling showed up a group of skeptical, strapping young kung fu students by causing one to double over in pain with a single touch to the ribs. (Zhang then cured the humbled student by touching a pressure point in his neck.)

Xu was unimpressed by all of this. In early 2017, he started honing in on the young Yang-style tai chi grandmaster Wei Lei, who had recently come to national attention thanks to a CCTV-4 program called Real Kung Fu, in which Wei was featured performing such feats as turning the inside of a watermelon into mush without penetrating its skin and keeping a live pigeon perched on his hand from flying away through a personal force field. Xu called Wei Lei “brainwashed” and “a *******.” In retaliation, Wei Lei, or one of his associates, published Xu’s personal information, including his address and phone number online. Xu, enraged, flew to the southwestern city of Chengdu, where Wei is based, walked into the tai chi master’s gym, and demanded they fight right there on the spot.

continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

Only several dozen people were present at the fight, which took place in the gym’s crowded basement, but a video uploaded the next day was seen by millions. In the video—which has since been scrubbed from the Chinese internet—Xu, bare-knuckled in shorts and hot pink sneakers, squares off against Wei, bare-knuckled and clad in a traditional tai chi outfit. After a tense couple of moments, Xu lunges forward and pummels Wei with a flurry of jabs. In less than 10 seconds the tai chi master is flat on the ground, covering his face with his arms.

Xu’s defeat of Wei Lei is now remembered as an earth-shaking event within the Chinese martial arts world. It made him a minor public figure and gained him a legion of new fans, as well as an extensive roster of enemies. According to Xu, more than 100 martial artists looking to avenge Wei challenged him in the aftermath of the fight. Xu took out a pencil and paper, ranked his challengers in order of priority, and set about in earnest on his now-famous quest to “fight fakes” (“fake” and “battle” are ****phones in Mandarin). As of this writing, Xu has fought 17 of those challengers in public matches. He has defeated them all.

Because of the lack of infrastructure or regulations for such unconventional matchups, the fights often have a DIY vibe, with no ring or gloves in sight. On several occasions, Xu, who hovers around 200 pounds, has faced off against men half his size. His victories have not always gone officially recognized. After Xu’s most recent fight, in which he willingly ate a flurry of limp strikes from Wing Chun master Ding Hao before beating him bloody in front of a crowd of hundreds, the announcer declared the match a draw and concluded, “Whether it’s MMA or Chinese wushu, we can all agree that this is a victory for Chinese kung fu!”

These past two years have been the most prolific in Xu’s fight career. Up until the Chengdu match with Wei Lei, Xu had fought in only three paid matches, all in the early 2000s. From 2004 onwards, Xu—who is, by his own admission, a mediocre fighter at best—devoted his energies to developing China’s nascent MMA industry from behind the scenes. He opened his own gym, Bitu, in which he coached MMA and emceed a popular amateur fight promotion called “Fridays.” Soon enough, Bitu had opened another two locations. Business was good. The only reason he went back to fighting, he says, is that Wei ****ed him off.

“If I don’t like someone, I fight them,” Xu told me the first time we met, in an empty sports bar in July. “It’s really that simple.”

Xu had rushed to the nearby city of Tianjin that day to sign a contract to fight his 18th grandmaster, Wang Zhenling of the Great Dao school of tai chi, and missed our first appointment. He apologized profusely. It was a muggy summer night, and he was sporting his signature tank top and goatee. He does not drink. Over ginger ale, he gravely recounted his “war” against tai chi. Only a glint in his expressive eyes suggested that he understood how plainly silly it was to be fighting in such a war.

Xu is a born and bred Beijinger, a fact he references often. When he gets excited, his speech slurs with the lisping Beijing dialect. His happiest early memories are of visiting his grandmother at her job as an attendant at the National Museum, which faces out onto Tiananmen Square. He remembers clearly the day in 1989 that the tanks rolled in. Xu says growing up in Beijing made him uniquely attuned to politics.

As a teenager, Xu started studying sanda, or Chinese kickboxing, the only Chinese martial art he regards as having any combat value. (Shichahai Sports School, the training center near the Forbidden City where he once practiced, has since publicly disowned him.) Around the turn of the millennium, he discovered mixed martial arts, which was trickling into China at the time via overseas returnees. He immediately latched onto MMA because of how free he found the fighting style: You could kick. You could hit someone when they were already on the ground. “I like freedom,” he told me emphatically.

Which is the root of Xu’s problems. The Chinese government would really like for him to stop his war against tai chi. As of this writing, Xu has been ordered to publicly apologize; had to pay the equivalent of USD $36,000 in fines and legal fees; had his social credit score lowered after he refused to apologize, preventing him temporarily from traveling by plane or high-speed train; had one of his gyms shut down; and seen a total of 11 social media accounts mysteriously disappear.

Despite all of this, Xu has continued to do exactly as he wants. When he was prohibited from flying, he took a 36-hour, hard-seat train all the way to Karamay, Xinjiang, in far western China, to fight the Wing Chun master Lu Gang (Xu wore clown makeup to the fight, a pre-condition, he says, for being allowed to participate). And with no way of broadcasting Hot Takes on Chinese social media, he started recording the show and sending it to a friend in America, who uploads it to YouTube.

Xu sees the continued production and dissemination of Hot Takes as a moral imperative. He becomes emotional when he talks about it. The reason he must keep broadcasting, he says, is very simple: He is telling the truth.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

“What this show tells is priceless,” he told me—thinking, perhaps, of the increasingly dire financial straits his crusade against tai chi is putting him under (he is currently searching for a new apartment because he can no longer afford the rent on his current one). “If you gave me a million RMB to stop the show, I would say, ‘No.’ If you gave me 10 million RMB to stop, I would still say, ‘No.’ If you gave me 100 million RMB to stop”—here he took a beat to grin—“I would say, ‘Okay.’”

Xu Xiaodong’s gym is located in a basement facility in the middle of a parking lot in Shuangjing, an upscale residential district near Beijing’s East 3rd Ring Road. His clients are well-off hobbyists, mostly men, who come to train for fitness purposes. Every so often, an incensed tai chi master shows up at the gym’s door to challenge Xu in person, an occurrence that took Xu’s fellow trainers by surprise the first time it happened.

I visited the gym in mid-August, and despite Xu’s rapidly complicating political situation, the place bore no reflection of the turmoil that had befallen its figurehead. During a boxing class, students took two-minute turns sparring with trainers. No one seemed particularly worried about Xu. I spoke to an eight-year veteran of the gym, a plump and genial man surnamed Wang, who happened to work for CCTV, the state broadcaster. Wang said that while he did not support the violence, he was fundamentally sympathetic to Xu’s quest. “Otherwise, young people will continue to believe in these fakes,” he said.

When I entered Xu’s office he glanced at me conspiratorially and motioned me over to look at an icon on his phone. It was a VPN. I asked him why, after abstaining for so long, he had finally started using one.

He told me recent events had caused him to conclude he would never be on the right side of the law in China, no matter what he did. Not long after he signed the contract to fight Wang Zhenling, his 18th tai chi grandmaster, relevant authorities informed him that the match, or any future matches, would not be allowed to take place. This should be illegal, Xu noted angrily, but his lawyer friend had advised him that in China, the law is essentially “whatever they say it is.” And so, Xu figured, he had nothing more to lose by taking the extra step of hopping the firewall.

“What makes me angry,” he added, “is that I’ve been very careful. Everything I’ve said has been true. If I had been lying to people, sure, I can accept punishment. But I’ve said nothing wrong. I can’t understand this.”

As someone who has been living and reporting in China for five years, I was caught off guard by Xu’s belief in the power of truth and sincerity. Although he was fully cognizant of the fact that there were things he could say that would have him disappeared tomorrow—that the ruling Party had inflicted and continues to inflict grievous human rights violations on the population such as the concentration camps in Xinjiang, and that the State relentlessly censors reports of said atrocities—he never discarded the notion that the truth had some value.

Such a belief is something that’s become almost impossible to hold onto in China, where the truth has long since ceased to matter. The week I went to meet Xu at his gym, the Party had pivoted its policy toward coverage of the Hong Kong protests from the usual program of suppression to an all-out disinformation campaign. State media organs blared with reports of protester violence and a secret CIA plot. These reports left out the disproportionate brutality being inflicted by the Hong Kong police, and that a protestor had lost an eye to a bean bag round.

“What makes me angry,” he added, “is that I’ve been very careful. Everything I’ve said has been true. If I had been lying to people, sure, I can accept punishment. But I’ve said nothing wrong. I can’t understand this.”
    After we discussed his plans to livestream on YouTube that night, it was time for Xu to pitch his MMA class to a crop of prospective students. In a matter of seconds I watched him transform from the laconic, somewhat sullen man I had just interviewed into the charismatic personality I recognized from Hot Takes. He talked without pause for the next 45 minutes, weaving together a pocket history of MMA with heavy doses of autobiographical narrative and thoughts on everything from Bruce Lee to yoga. More than a dozen students listened attentively and laughed along with his jokes and exaggerated pantomime.

Watching Xu give his spiel, I thought about something he had once told me about his ambition for Hot Takes to one day become China’s “No. 1 most courageous sports talk show.” In a different place or time, Xu could easily be a titan of the sports entertainment industry. It’s easy to imagine someone with this much wit, passion, and intelligence hosting a slickly produced sports show from behind a desk. But all Xu can do in his current situation is go on smuggling his low-fi episodes of Hot Takes past firewalls and dodging government authorities who would like to see him cast out onto the street.

What really stings Xu is that he doesn’t stand to benefit from the coming expansion of MMA in China, which he worked for so long to bring about. This summer, the UFC opened a state-of-the-art training facility in Shanghai in a bid to mint a Chinese MMA star who would help the promotion win over the Chinese market. This plan already seems to be succeeding: At the third UFC China in Shenzhen this August, 30-year-old female strawweight fighter Zhang Weili triumphed over Jessica Andrade to become the first ever Chinese UFC champion. Xu, a huge UFC fan, told me he was thrilled with Zhang’s victory and the entrance of UFC into China, but he has not been called on to help promote it. He said that at the two previous UFC events in China, he paid full price for front row tickets—almost $1,000 USD—because UFC did not personally invite him.

A few hours after I left him that day at the gym, Xu went home and made the live YouTube broadcast about Hong Kong that would get him taken in for questioning. His message began in a tone of half-ironic grandeur: “It is I, Xu Xiaodong. The Xu Xiaodong who overturned heaven and earth two years ago.” Next, he thanked the state censorship organs monitoring him for their troubles. Then he said his piece about Hong Kong.

By international standards, Xu’s views on Hong Kong are extremely moderate. He does not support Hong Kong independence and regards Hongkongers (and Taiwanese for that matter) as Chinese. Yet in the dissent-paranoid environment of today’s China, publicly expressing skepticism that the reality on the ground in Hong Kong may differ from how it has been depicted in state media is tantamount to betrayal. Indeed, only one other mainland public figure has dared to express the same doubts as Xu: A 33-year-old lawyer named Chen Qiushi, whose earnest “fact-finding” broadcasts from Hong Kong—now scrubbed from mainland social media, along with his personal Weibo account—have put him in the same precarious position as Xu.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Chen and Xu have developed something of a partnership over the past several months. They recently did a photoshoot together, at Chen’s suggestion, in which the two men wore suits and mugged suavely for the camera. Xu shared the photos on his social media along with a still from the 2016 South Korean action thriller Train to Busan, which featured Gong Yoo as the handsome hero and Ma Dong-Seok as his coarse but honorable accomplice. “Korea has Ma Dong-Seok,” Xu wrote in his caption, “and China has me.” (In one of his most recent dramas, 2018’s The Villagers, Ma plays a washed-up former boxing champion who reluctantly roots out a dark political conspiracy in his small town.)

Aside from Chen, Xu has few allies; people know that publicly speaking up for someone like Xu is enough to put them or their families in danger. In a recent episode of Hot Takes, an upset Xu revealed that not a single person had stood up for him in a 450-person WeChat group after his Hong Kong statement. Still, a sizable but anonymous contingent of fans from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and across the diaspora have come together to help him financially. After Xu learned he would no longer be able to fight in matches for money, he finally started accepting donations from his supporters (he had previously rejected a 50,000 RMB donation from a wealthy fan) on PayPal and WeChat. Xu told me that over the past month he has already received several thousand dollars, most from donations in the range of five to ten dollars.

Earlier this month, Xu announced another way supporters could help to relieve his hurting finances. He had become the ambassador for a new Brother Dong-branded line of baijiu, a fiery Chinese sorghum spirit. The liquor purports to be 42.7-percent alcohol, a reference to his April 27 defeat of Wei Lei. “I don’t drink, but I visited the baijiu factory and I think the quality is good. Plus, it’s very manly to drink baijiu,” he said by way of endorsement on a recent Hot Takes. In the comments, fans announced their plans to buy multiple cases.

There’s an unmistakable whiff of pro wrestling surrounding Xu’s entire project. Part of this is down to the fact that he can deliver monologues like a seasoned heel; part of it is because, for as seriously as he takes his fights against tai chi masters, there’s a slapstick quality to each of them. There’s just something inherently funny about watching an aging, chunky MMA fighter stride right up to a supposed martial arts master and proceed to beat the absolute hell out of him.

Of all the absurdities that have recently defined Xu’s life, none are seemingly greater than the fact that he, a loudmouthed fighter and entertainer with objectively modest political views, has become a real symbol of dissent. But perhaps that’s not so absurd. In modern China, the simple act of being brash and unapologetic can be enough to qualify one as a true rebel.

Though the majority of Xu’s YouTube commenters come from Hong Kong and Taiwan, a vocal minority are firewall jumpers. Below his videos, they articulate the most subversive implications of his mission to fight fakes. “Beat up Xi,” reads a typical one. “The Communist Party are the greatest scammers of all,” reads another.

It’s even more common for commenters to simply see his tenacity as a ray of light piercing an increasingly dark political climate: “As long as China has people like you, China has hope.”

Xu balks at such appraisals. He believes it’s Chen, the young lawyer, who’s China’s future. As he put it in a recent episode: “Don’t pin your hopes on me. I’m just a dog drowning in a pile of dog****.”

Lauren Teixeira (@lrntex) is a writer based in Chengdu, China.
    "Brother Dong-branded line of baijiu"? From someone who doesn't drink? Hope someone can find some of this baijiu, just for laughs.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Iron Palm 'master' Sun Lei FAIL

Kung fu ‘master’ says sorry, backs down after Chinese MMA fighter Xu Xiaodong accepts challenge
    Fifth generation iron palm master Sun Lei tells ‘Mad Dog’ he will break his arm – ‘I’ll show you real Chinese kung fu’
    Xu dares Sun to put up 200,000 yuan and fight him in Beijing, but Sun backtracks – ‘I hope you let it go maturely’
    Nick Atkin
    Published: 3:01pm, 8 Nov, 2019

Iron palm kung fu master Sun Lei (left) challenged Xu Xiaodong (right), and swiftly backed down. Photo: Photo: YouTube/Weibo

Xu Xiaodong has been challenged by plenty of kung fu “masters” but they don’t normally back down before he makes them eat their words in the ring.

So it was rare to see one such challenger give a sincere apology to the Chinese MMA fighter.
    Fifth generation iron palm kung fu master Sun Lei issued his challenge to “Mad Dog”, calling him out in a recent video on Chinese social media.

“Xu Xiaodong, you recently are always talking smack about Chinese kung fu and iron palm kung fu. I am gonna challenge you,” he said, in comments translated by YouTube channel Fight Commentary Breakdowns.

“I will hit your arm and let you see how good my iron palm is. Do you accept my challenge? Let’s find a spot and I will show you. Let’s see if I can break your arm with my iron palm. I want you to understand real Chinese kung fu.”

Xu is never one to shy away from a challenge, and it wasn’t long before the video was brought to his attention.

“You said I made fun of or insulted you, what did I do?” he said in his own video. “I’ve never insulted iron palm kung fu. You dumb brain. I accept 200,000 yuan – if you hurt me you keep it, if you don’t hurt me I keep it. It’s in Beijing, let’s do it. So don’t back out.
    “When did I talk smack about iron palm kung fu? All I want to do is attack tai chi,” he added. “But now these iron palm people want to talk smack about me. He’s a fraud, this stupid Sun person. I accept.

“If you can’t break my arm, you give me 200,000. Prepare the money. I’m ready for you in Beijing. I will find you. I want this money. Everybody, here’s a record. Go find him. When did I insult you ever? I want to let certain frauds go but they decide to come to me.”

It looked like Xu might have his next fight set, but, surprisingly, Sun then said sorry in a follow up video.
    “I am officially apologising to Xu Xiaodong,” he said. “I’m sorry, it’s my fault. I said some things, I hope you let it go maturely. This is my apology. Please forgive me. I will support you in the future. Sorry.”
    Xu accepted the apology. “I hope everyone in the marital arts world don’t listen to random rumours and slanderous advice,” he replied.

Sun Lei apologises to Xu Xiaodong. Photo: YouTube/Fight Commentary Breakdowns

“If you have any concerns please contact me, I will explain everything to you. I want to fight the fake masters.
    “I hope all people in the martial arts community communicate with me. A lot of times you’re being misled by other people who spread rumours. This incident is formally ended, please don’t mention it again.”
    THREADS
    Xu Xiaodong Challenges to Kung Fu
    Iron Palm
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Talk about your undercards...Lei Lei vs Tian Ye

Two kung fu ‘masters’ demolished by Chinese MMA fighter Xu Xiaodong battle each other
    Lei Lei and Tian Ye go at it to decide who the better kung fu fighter is
    Both men were previously pulverised by ‘Mad Dog’ on his mission to expose ‘kung fu fakery’
    Nick Atkin
    Published: 4:28pm, 21 Nov, 2019

Tian Ye (right) winds up a punch against Lei Lei. Photos: YouTube/Fight Commentary Breakdowns

It was probably inevitable that two of Chinese MMA fighter Xu Xiaodong’s vanquished “fake kung fu” opponents would eventually square off against each other. But that doesn’t make it any less entertaining.
    In what turned out to be a fairly one-sided battle, Lei Lei and Tian Ye recently went at it to see who was the better kung fu fighter.
    You may remember Lei Lei – he was the tai chi “master” who sparked “Mad Dog” Xu’s rise to fame after getting knocked out by him in 10 seconds.
    The video of that 2017 fight went viral and set Xu on his mission to “expose” traditional martial arts “frauds”, sparking this entire mess of kung fu versus MMA.

Earlier this year, Xu got into the ring with another kung fu “master”, Tian Ye – whose name translates as “Mighty Sword” – and left him bloodied and bandaged with a severely broken nose.

When it came to his two vanquished foes squaring off, Xu predicted Lei Lei would win because he has more power in his punches, despite admitting Tian Ye has plenty of heart.

Tian Ye gets dropped by Lei Lei in the first round.

It turned out Xu’s prediction was bang on the money.
    The two men came out of the gate throwing haymakers and Tian Ye – much older than his opponent at 56, with Lei Lei in his 40s – got knocked down after just seven seconds of the first round.
    Tian Ye got back to his feet, and Lei Lei – his nose bloodied – started throwing some knees from the clinch, showing he has actually been training some real techniques since his humiliation by Xu.

Lei Lei hits Tian Ye with a Muay Thai knee in the clinch.

Lei Lei then sent Tian Ye stumbling again, this time into the referee, who did a standing count as he instructed Lei Lei back to his corner. After getting the doctor to clean up Lei Lei’s nose, the referee resumed the fight.
    It didn’t last much longer. Lei Lei staggered Tian Ye with a few more punches and the referee stepped in to wave it off after a total of 64 seconds.
    Tian Ye pleaded with the referee, saying he could still fight, despite stumbling backwards as Lei Lei cockily strutted around the ring, celebrating his victory.

The referee pushes Tian Ye away after he tries to punch Lei Lei after the fight has ended.

Lei Lei’s bravado seemed to get to Tian Ye – either that or he really was badly concussed and thought the fight was still on.
    With the bell having long gone, Tian Ye launched another punch at his opponent before the referee grabbed him and pushed him into the ropes.
    The referee delivered a stern lecture like a teacher to a schoolchild, finger wagging and all.

The referee lectures Tian Ye after he throws a punch at Lei Lei following the end of the fight.

“The ref was probably the best fighter in that ring judging by how he was able to completely shut down Tian Ye with that clinch towards the end … And I'm only half joking here,” wrote one user in the comments of a video of the fight, which was posted by YouTube channel Fight Commentary Breakdowns.
    “I think Lei Lei showed at least some improvement, but he still has a long way to go,” was another comment.
    “Lei Lei is so cocky now,” wrote another user. “I’m sure he will take his revenge on Xu one day … Maybe … Probably not. But it would be very cool!”
    THREADS
    Tian Ye
    Xu Xiaodong
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Xu Xiaodong v 'cosplayer' Yuichiro Nagashima

Hey, Xu actually fought someone with some ring experience...

Wait...cosplayer?

Chinese MMA fighter Xu Xiaodong knocks out Japanese cosplayer; wants ‘fake Shaolin monk’ Yi Long
    Xu gets second-round TKO against former kick-boxing champion Yuichiro Nagashima in Bangkok
    ‘Mad Dog’ now hopes to fight Yi Long, whom he accused of rigging fights against Nagashima
    Nick Atkin
    Published: 12:56pm, 23 Nov, 2019

Xu Xiaodong fighting Yuichiro Nagashima in Bangkok, Thailand. Photos: YouTube/Fight Commentary Breakdowns

Chinese MMA fighter Xu Xiaodong returned to the ring on Friday in Bangkok, Thailand, but this time it wasn’t a kung fu “fraud” he pulverised – it was a famous Japanese cosplayer instead.
    Yuichiro Nagashima, a former kick-boxing champion who is also trained in karate, had fought several times against the “fake Shaolin Monk” Yi Long, and “Mad Dog” Xu had claimed the fights were rigged.
    Xu wanted to prove he could easily beat Nagashima, so that Yi Long would have no excuses for evading a fight with him.
    The first round was contested under kick-boxing rules, the second under MMA rules. Xu won by TKO in the second round, the referee stepping in as he delivered some heavy ground and pound.

It was a different story to Xu’s usual fights – the 41-year-old has made a name for himself by demolishing traditional martial artists in China on what he deems as his mission to expose “kung fu fakery”.
    But Nagashima has fighting technique, unlike the hapless wing chun and tai chi practitioners Xu has knocked out in devastating fashion over the past three years. Nagashima was K1Max 70kg champion in 2010, although he has not won a fight since 2014.
    Xu looked sharp in the first round, throwing some smart combinations, but Nagashima caught him on the chin with his jab a couple of times early on.
    The fight was then briefly stopped after a low blow by Xu.
    Xu’s power was clearly superior and his plan was evident as he looked to counter. It worked to perfection, Xu distracting his opponent with a low kick before going high and knocking down Nagashima with a hard right hook.

Xu Xiaodong walks off after the referee steps in.

Nagashima looked weary heading into the second round, and for good reason – he was entering Xu’s territory now.
    Within seconds, Xu dropped Nagashima again and quickly proceeded to full mount, raining down blows before the referee stepped in.
    Ironically, it is the first time Xu has actually been able to take things to the ground in one of his fights, and he showed off his skills in ruthless fashion.

Xu Xiaodong backstage after his win in Bangkok.

Over to you, Yi Long. The Shaolin Temple has made a statement that Yi is not a trained monk, but he models his appearance on traditional Shaolin monks in his fights, with a shaved head and traditional clothing.
    “The fake Shaolin monk is not exactly a pushover. Xu may have a real fight on his hands,” one commenter said on a video of Xu’s fight, which was posted on YouTube channel Fight Commentary Breakdowns.
    “Let it be said if Xu fights Yi Long in a kick-boxing match he’s getting knocked out,” another user wrote.
    THREADS
    Yi Long
    Xu Xiaodong
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

IMO, Xu Xiaodong will probably KO Yi Long, or at least beat him handily.

Xu Xiaodong vs Yi Long is cool lol in a Stone Cold Steve Austin vs The Rock in 1998 kinda way. Yi Long is always entertaining theres another guy named 'Tai Gu Lei Long' supposedly on the Chinese version of TikTok (Douyin) calling out 'fake Kung Fu masters' also and has some mediocre fights circulating.

heres a video: in my opinion all these fights are pointless, the MMA (wannabe) guys should get into a real league like the hundreds available ( isnt MMA the fastest growing/paying combat sport?) instead of doing these circus fights. I feel like some Japanese Dojo lord is paying these dudes to shame Kung Fu lol its really a bad look for all martial arts when you think about it.

Put them in a real league and let them grow , other than that I personally cant get into this stuff , its cheap attention grabbing noise, while there are some real talents fighting in San Shou in China we dont hear about, also some nice pro and semi pro fighters in ONE Championship, RIZIN, Bellator etc....so many good and great fighters all through China, Japan, Thailand, Burma, etc....loads of fighters.

all these leagues and they are picking on 'fake masters' for the love of Martial Arts? tuh......

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 11.09.30 PM.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  83.9 KB

(somebody sign Xu Xiaodong up and let him get busy forreal , earn some real stripes.)

ALSO the whole "fake kung fu master" bit is played out as well. There are fake jujitsu, aikido, karate, ninjutsu, so on and so on, even fake boxing and muay thai and wing chun JKD guys, which I dont know how you fake that lol point is, we know they exist, so what, lol. we can all beat them duh. There are tons of REAL masters however. so if someone really had a problem with REAL kung fu.....why not look for a REAL MASTER? RIGHT? idk man....common sense stuff. Xu would have been better coming out the gate challenging young or close in age warrior monk from Shaolin, who trains everyday. Like anyone who has a face and there are so many smh why does he avoid the entire "Yan" generation of Shaolin fighters, who are known for whoopin ass? maybe because they are known for whoopin ass.
    anyhow, .....I rambled and must digress.

Amituofo
    Shaolin Meditator

Djuan,

I seriously doubt that any Japanese sensei is or are behind this trend to discredit kung fu. Many Chinese themselves have little respect for TCMA. When I lived in Taiwan, the number one most popular MA was Tae Kwon Do, by a wide margin. I’d even heard some Chinese in Taiwan refer to kung fu as “hua quan xiu tui” (flowery fist, embroidery leg). Or many there associated the practice of TCMA with gangsters, and considered TKD, as well as JMA, to be ‘clean’ and organized in comparison.

OTOH, at the time, there were a number of Japanese students from Japan that I either knew or simply met there who trained TCMA and were more serious about it than most of the Taiwanese/Chinese students themselves were. And some of them were very good at it. In my experience, the whole ‘Fist of Fury’ image of the evil Japanese MAists trying to discredit, oppress and destroy TCMA/TCMAists, is a fiction, especially in the context of modern times.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Djuan,

I seriously doubt that any Japanese sensei is or are behind this trend to discredit kung fu. Many Chinese themselves have little respect for TCMA. When I lived in Taiwan, the number one most popular MA was Tae Kwon Do, by a wide margin. I’d even heard some Chinese in Taiwan refer to kung fu as “hua quan xiu tui” (flowery fist, embroidery leg). Or many there associated the practice of TCMA with gangsters, and considered TKD, as well as JMA, to be ‘clean’ and organized in comparison.

OTOH, at the time, there were a number of Japanese students from Japan that I either knew or simply met there who trained TCMA and were more serious about it than most of the Taiwanese/Chinese students themselves were. And some of them were very good at it. In my experience, the whole ‘Fist of Fury’ image of the evil Japanese MAists trying to discredit, oppress and destroy TCMA/TCMAists, is a fiction, especially in the context of modern times.
    well in reality, I have faith theres no one , especially real Japanese martial artist, going through exact and large means to stain TCMA, and my joke in the thread was aimed more at the "Samurai Sho Nuff vs. Kung Fu Bruce Leeroy" rivals from hollywood, even the "Dojo invasion vs. Chin Woo" etc....I used that model of an example because thats how ridicculous thesee fights and arguments from Xu Xiadong are, in his case he would be the 'Samurai Dojo Lord' lol or MMA dojo lord, let him tell it lol

I honestly would like to see him fight a real fighter who trains pure TCMA, and there are plenty.
    Shaolin Meditator

Quote Originally Posted by Djuan View Post
    well in reality, I have faith theres no one , especially real Japanese martial artist, going through exact and large means to stain TCMA, and my joke in the thread was aimed more at the "Samurai Sho Nuff vs. Kung Fu Bruce Leeroy" rivals from hollywood, even the "Dojo invasion vs. Chin Woo" etc....I used that model of an example because thats how ridicculous thesee fights and arguments from Xu Xiadong are, in his case he would be the 'Samurai Dojo Lord' lol or MMA dojo lord, let him tell it lol

I honestly would like to see him fight a real fighter who trains pure TCMA, and there are plenty.
    XXD’s not staining TCMA. The idiots he’s beating are the stains, if anything.

Where are these plenty of ‘real fighters’ who train pure TCMA, and what is pure TCMA?

Don’t get me wrong. Like you, I love TCMA. I’ve been training approx. 40 years, about 35 years of that specialising in TCMA, including several years of training under many different masters in China. In all that time I have seen very few of these people you are talking about. Some, yes. Plenty, no. And in the ring, very few at all, unless their style has a combat sports stream (but that might not meet your definition of pure TCMA).

Can TCMA produce extraordinary humans? Yes. Does it frequently, or even generally, produce ‘real’ or great fighters? Quite honestly, no. There are some, but let’s not fool ourselves - they are in the minority. Who cares though? That should only matter if one makes such claims. Unfortunately most of these deluded idiots stepping up to get beat down have made such claims so they get what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    Where are these plenty of ‘real fighters’ who train pure TCMA, and what is pure TCMA?

in all fairness, no one can stain TCMA, and in this thread, anything serious said is not to be taken seriously.
    so I have to agree with you on the staining part, and the bozos he's fighting really are ONLY staining themselves.

To answer your questions and attempt to give the thread some justice, "Pure TCMA" , is totally up to preference, meaning I personally can only define what it means to me like most radical, one sided opinions. In a basic scope though, "Pure" would denote, absence of anything imported from outside recorded Chinese fighting tactics during the time of formation for the base styles, like say, kempo (fusion), or karate (Japanese), anything mixed with those wouldn't be 'PURE' TCMA, even tho karate is old and traditional like a lot of TCMA, and Kempo is based on TCMA.

Traditional means, to me, arts that were formed and had evolved to systems prior to the end of the Qing Dynasty, particularly the time of the Xianfeng Emperor. I use this time span, from about the Norrthern Wei Dynasty around 450, to Qing around 1861, Still, thats not fair to a lot of systems with lineage linked to styles ad families which predate the Qing Dynasty, and vanished because of political persecution, and resurfaced in modern times. Also a lot of historians and martial historians will disagree with my time span, stopping whats deemed as traditional more around the early 1700's , I keep counting because a lot of the Southern schools flourished and developed deeper into the Qing dynasty, some going into the 1900'S. Too many to list. Some will also argue that the best fighters stopped existing before the 1800s...smh
    So the 'traditional' title is a bit flexible, using intelligent discernment however. I will say, a lot of the 'Elder' styles that were formed in feudal times, were battlefield tested. You have the hand vs weapons skills which is spectacular, for instance fist vs. spear, even staff vs sword. stuff like this is timeless and priceless. and then rendered useless to a degree when Europeans made the gun the war standard.
    so lets not forget HOW "western" boxing/mma made room for itself; by going to face the worlds greatest warriors with gun power, diminishing the morale over the course of hundreds of years of invasion and oppression, by the gun, and building a capitalist world that honors the 'gladiator' venue, pushing martial arts into 'combat sports' and the "best" fighters are meat heads for hire.

moving again to thinking critically about TCMA you are dealing with advanced combat systems with a growth spanning thousands of years of warfare and peace. for example; the "bodyguard era(s)", the northern "pirate era", the southern "pirate era", and the boxer rebellion era, all have written accounts of TCMA being deadly and acutely effective, so to shun them off as useless is ignorant. Also these eras forged the styles into what they are today, by demand. Where as MMA was built for sport, and to be regulated, TCMA, was forged in the fire.
    The problem with TCMA and modern MAist is patience. Kung Fu just takes too long to master to them, much less compete for big money. There a major generation gaps in the distribution of TCMA, and yoou have entire lineages being wiped out by the gun or forced into 'ritual training' or performance arts. TCMA is a real thing, and we can prove its worth easily, so I wont hold you.

now to be serious about where all the fighters are is hard lol, I'm really tempted to just say they are hidden in ancient temples spread through out China, and only come out to help the warriors and ninjas travel the Jiang Hu roads. They are banned from fighting publicly for fear they might enter the avatar state. Their Ch'i levels are tooo high etc.....

when I spoke about the fighters, realistically, a lot of them are in SanDa, and some already compete, so I have to be fair in my explanation because that's not what XXD is looking for. he's not looking for Chinas top San Shou or MMA guy, which is what I was sarcastically suggesting; that he goes against the top SanDa fighter with Traditional roots in North or South Shaolin, and get pummeld, or enter a MMA/Kickboxing league to compete in, because beating the old self proclaimed masters is pretty low and cheap, almost as much as those masters claims.

Theres thousands of SanDa fighters in China who are pretty decent, and who started with what can be called TCMA for sure.

Amituofo
    Last edited by Djuan; 12-15-2019 at 12:31 AM.
    Shaolin Meditator