Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Xu Xiaodong Challenges to Kung Fu

If a TCMA guy were to accept his challenge and knock him out with a solid straight right, I'd bet dollars to donuts it would be met with cries of "that was an MMA/Boxing/Muay Thai move, not TCMA".
    Last edited by Punch.HeadButt; 05-03-2017 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shanghai-mantis View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/xing...5303429191248/

Here Wei Lei says he lost because if he really punched Xu, he would have killed him.
    That's pathetic. If he already "knew" that Taiji was too deadly to fight with, why did he accept the challenge? A poor attempt to save face. That's the type of excuse someone might have made half a century ago.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 05-03-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Subitai View Post
    And of course...

If a TC fighter of any sorts is able to beat this MMA exponent, people will say that he was not a good representative of MMA to begin with.
    This is very true. I made some similar observations in post #27.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    That's pathetic. If he already "knew" that Taiji was too deadly to fight with, why did he accept the challenge? A poor attempt to save face. That's the type of excuse someone might have made half a century ago.
    That, and he tripped over his own shoe lace

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    the guy is the fonder of Chinese mma. he brought mma to china in 2001. he is the shi deyang of mma. getting ko by him is a great honor.
    This is funny.

Did you not read the article in the post by Gene that says he "taught himself MMA"?! He's never even had a proper fight himself either.

If you want to talk about someone qualified for the title of "father of MMA in China", look at someone like Silas Maynard who has been managing China's #1 fight team (Fighters Unite) that has been co-promoting, matchmaking, or involved in 3-8 fighting events each week.

He's been in this for the past 11 years over here and says he's never even heard of this Xu Xiaodong guy.

It sounds like this fight of the century between the new and old is actually fake vs fake! lol Nothing out of the ordinary for China though...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    This is very true. I made some similar observations in post #27.
    But he isnt is he? according to TCMA guys posting on this very thread he is a self taught MMA guy and has no real fights, and yet he still handed a fairly well known master his back side

If anything that makes it worse,

Its not like that san soo guy who lost to a BJJ blackbelt win 8 pro wins, this guy got destroyed by a self taught basement fighter lol

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    But he isnt is he? according to TCMA guys posting on this very thread he is a self taught MMA guy and has no real fights, and yet he still handed a fairly well known master his back side

Its not like that san soo guy who lost to a BJJ blackbelt win 8 pro wins, this guy got destroyed by a self taught basement fighter lol
    Wei Lei made up his own Tai Chi style without any practical experience.
    Xu Xiaodong taught himself MMA.

So, why is Wei Lei a "master" while Xu Xiaodong is just a "self-taught basement fighter"?
    You decided that because you like the sound of masterful TCMA losing to self-taught MMA.

But there is no master vs underdog here.

Fact is, these are just two inexperienced guys who have gathered followings of their own.
    The difference is one is completely delusional, while the other is more realistic-minded.

No surprise mimicking realistic MMA will defeat delusional fake Tai Chi.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post

True, it makes it worse. Self-taught or not, he could fight and the Taiji guy could not. He at least has the mentality and willingness to punch somebody out. That alone would have given him the advantage over a complete non-fighter, MAist or not. Similar to the many incidences where black belts in various MA have been beaten by untrained street fighters.

Actually, there were some notable MMA fighters who (or so I've heard) at least claimed to have started out self-taught: Rich Franklin, Evan Tanner, Cro-Cop, etc. Of course, they didn't remain self-taught.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 05-04-2017 at 08:05 AM.

Jet

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    Everyone's getting involved, including Li Lianjie.
    Here's the Jet Li take that B.Tunks was talking about.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017
    [2017.05.03] JET LI CALLS FOR THE MARTIAL ART WORLD TO DEFEND TAI CHI

Xu Xiaodong knocks out Wei Lei in 10 seconds

Jet Li appears on the video and looks much better

courtesy of on.cc

Mixed martial artist Xu Xiaodong last month knocked out Tai Chi fist master Wei Lei in 10 seconds and shocked the nation, leading many Tai Chi fist schools to issue challenges! Training in martial art since childhood and the star of TAI CHI MASTER, Jet Li (Lee Nn Kit) recently rarely appeared in public due to illness. Since the martial art world in chaos he immediately called for the Tai Chi school to send another to battle mad man Xu Xiaodong and defend Tai Chi. Artist Li Jia also could not help but challenge the "mad man", stating that he would send him on his way at anytime!

Last month mixed martial artist Xu Xiaodong battled Tai Chi master Wei Lei in Sichuan. Xu Xiaodong spent only 10 seconds to knock him out. From the start of the match to the end it only lasted 20 seconds! Tai Chi representative Wei Lei's defeat rocked the nation and triggered a war of words. Many questioned Tai Chi as a national art that could only strengthen the body, some felt that one short battle could not discredit Tai Chi. Xu Xiaodong after the battle arrogantly said that Chinese martial art representative Bruce Lee was not a master fighter. He referred to Bruce Lee as an "amateur master", a martial art promoter and philosopher. He even announced that in 15 days he would defeat all styles and even challenged Chinese boxer king Zou Shiming.

Days ago, after years in film and establishing a "Tai Chi master" image from SHAOLIN TEMPLE TO TAI CHI MASTER national martial art champion Lee Nin Kit has always studied Tai Chi. Seeing various Tai Chi descendants issuing challenge to Xu Xiaodong to defend their honor, Lee Nin Kit also spoke up in support! Yesterday freestyle martial art competition the Kunlun Fight founder Chiang Hua posted Lee Nin Kit's video. Lee Nin Kit appeared to be in good spirit and obviously his health has improved. He said, "How are you everyone, do you watch Kunlun Fight? I do. However if Kunlun Fight runs into Tai Chi, would it be like the video online? What are you thinking? Everyone should keep caring about Kunlun Fight, but also Tai Chi!" Kunlun Fight is a freestyle duel program for various styles. Lee Nin Kit this time spoke up to call for Tai Chi to challenge Xu Xiaodong again. He hoped that everyone would not only continue to care about Tai Chi but also that Tai Chi was not as weak and soft as everyone saw in Wei Lei's defeat.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you are tying to say here if you are referring to me as the 40 year old heavy weight, I'm about 170 pounds not a heavy weight and am 5 foot 9. that 18 years old is the same height maybe 20 pounds lighter, has youth on his side and was trained in the military, and is the one who choose to try and train his senior in drum roll please" kick boxing".[by senior I mean the guy who has been around at the school longer].he put himself in that situation. as for all the other stuff you are saying, it is not related to the topic.
    I was commenting on the debate between form styles and sport styles not about you lol the first post was agreeing with you the next post was just laughing at the whole issue of this style and that style.

My one kung fu buddy has never been in a real fight, he started with choy li fut in his teens motivated by movies then he did some muay thai for a couple of years before meeting his BJJ instructor of ten years. He`s done Bak Mei for eight years but slowed down the last four years due to university.

I wrestled as a teen and sparred with a bjj buddy for a year in the Chuck Liddel and Tito Ortiz UFC era like not much at all but I am 6 foot 5 210 pounds my buddy is 5 foot 10 180 pounds I could easily beat his BJJ with any style like watch a dvd of David Carradine Karate and use it on him lol He hasnt been in a real fight, I`m bigger and meaner than him he could only beat me by accident.

So being out of shape he questions what he should spend his time training on but really his technique is not up to par, basically his kung fu sucks. So, how would his muay thai high round kicks to the face be any good... he is not even fast with weapons.

I had this conversation with him a few weeks ago and then this tai chi vs mma fight was posted online, I`m just shaking my head at the Martial media. lol
    Last edited by diego; 05-04-2017 at 09:23 AM.

also I should add I would hate to fight his bjj instructor who is 5 foot 10 250 pounds and works as a bouncer who makes a living from getting into fights 4 times a week outside the nightclub. I just train forms for stability and so I dont cut my ear off in a kitchen fight lol . My buddies BJJ coach is a genetic freak no steroids, all the pro ufc guys are steroid culture to be champ so there is alot of false advertising in Martial Art from both sides of the dojo, I would like to see it get back into the for self defense aspect of marketing.

Like how do 60 year old retired ufc fighters defend themselves against youth gangs at the ATM machine tournaments lol.
    Last edited by diego; 05-04-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    also I should add I would hate to fight his bjj instructor who is 5 foot 10 250 pounds and works as a bouncer who makes a living from getting into fights 4 times a week outside the nightclub. I just train forms for stability and so I dont cut my ear off in a kitchen fight lol . My buddies BJJ coach is a genetic freak no steroids, all the pro ufc guys are steroid culture to be champ so there is alot of false advertising in Martial Art from both sides of the dojo, I would like to see it get back into the for self defense aspect of marketing.

Like how do 60 year old retired ufc fighters defend themselves against youth gangs at the ATM machine tournaments lol.
    Randy couture is 54 I'd fancy his chances at the ATM over any tcma teacher I've met lol

I have no problems with people training forms and such for health fun etc as long as they understand their limitations, but thinking doing forms and waiving weapon's around will make you a fighter and help you in a bad situation is simply setting yourself up for failure, like this chap did,

It's not a case of what you are training it's how you train it and what you want to get out of it

Blog Entries
    When did you ever see a Taiji guy deals with an opponent who runs fast toward him and tries to knock his head off? If something is not in your daily training, you just can't use in the ring, or on the mat.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Meh. Saw the video. Total waste of time.