Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 36th Chamber of Shaolin - RZA live score

RZA, Francis Ford Coppola Lead David Lynch's Festival of Disruption
    Vic Mensa, Carrie Brownstein, Jeff Goldblum and orchestra, Mike Patton & DJ QBert slated for fest's Los Angeles return

RZA, Vic Mensa, Jeff Goldblum and Francis Ford Coppola are among the artists that will take part in the David Lynch-curated Festival of Disruption. REX/Shutterstock

By Daniel Kreps
    23 hours ago

RZA, Vic Mensa, Jeff Goldblum and Mike Patton & DJ QBert are among the artists that will take part in the David Lynch-curated Festival of Disruption, which returns to Los Angeles' Ace Hotel on October 13th and 14th.

From Dennis Hopper's glibness on the 'Blue Velvet' set to the filmmaker's proclivity for lighting up, the Festival of Disruption comes to New York

The latest installment in the filmmaker's annual event, sponsored by jewelry designer Alex & Ani, also boasts talks, screenings and readings with Carrie Brownstein, Grace Jones, Amber Tamblyn and Francis Ford Coppola, who will host a Q&A and screening revolving around his 1996 not-so-acclaimed Robin Williams film Jack.

"I thought it would be interesting to show what is usually considered my worst film. As films are generally like your children, you tend to favor those that are the most disadvantaged," Coppola said of the screening in a statement. Lynch himself will also participate in an audience Q&A.

RZA's performance will see the Wu-Tang Clan mastermind re-scoring the 1978 kung fu film The 36th Chamber of Shaolin using tracks from throughout the producer's discography.

Other musical acts include Liminal Soundbath (Sigur Ros' Jonsi with Alex Somers and Paul Corley), Arcade Fire's Richard Reed Parry, Earth's Dylan Carlson, a DJ set by Saint Motel and roots musician Justin Johnson, who Lynch discovered on YouTube. The Dover Quartet will also perform music from their Twin Peaks Suite.

"The Festival of Disruption is not only a music festival, it’s also an art festival and forum for speakers to share ideas and inspire creativity," Lynch said of the event in a statement. "It promotes Transcendental Meditation, as taught by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, to end suffering for the people and bring happiness and peace. The Festival of Disruption wants to disrupt the old bad, and bring in the new good."

Art exhibits dedicated to Lynch, fashion designer Christian Louboutin and David OReilly are also on had at the Festival of Disruption, which raises money for the David Lynch Foundation. Tickets for the festival go on sale this Wednesday, June 20th at 10 a.m. PST.

In May, Lynch held his Festival of Disruption in Brooklyn for the first time, with Jim James, Animal Collective, Angel Olsen and a Blue Velvet screening among the highlights.

This sounds really cool.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Milwaukee

Tyler Maas July 17, 2018

Oriental Theatre hasn’t even re-opened yet, and we already love what Milwaukee Film is doing with the place. The newly-renovated theater and all-around local treasure is scheduled to return on August 10. A couple weeks later, Oriental will host none other than Wu-Tang Clan member, producer, and filmmaker RZA for an incredible, can’t-miss movie event.

On Saturday, August 25, Oriental Theatre will host “RZA: Live From the 36th Chamber.” The event—presented by Milwaukee Film in collaboration with Hip-Hop Week MKE—will bring the legendary rapper to the iconic Milwaukee movie house for a live re-scoring of the 1978 Shaw Brothers kung-fu classic, The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin.

RZA will add Wu-Tang Clan’s extensive catalog and his own artistic influence to the entirety of the beloved martial arts movie. At this point, this is the only RZA: Live From the 36th Chamber show scheduled in the Midwest.

Tickets to the 9:30 p.m. blend of music, movies, and martial arts are $36. They go on sale at 9 a.m. on Wednesday, July 18. Holy ****.

I'm still upset that I missed this when it came to California.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Portland

Wu-Tang Clan’s RZA Is Coming to Portland to Perform a Live Score of His Favorite Martial Arts Movie

Enter the Wu-Tang's "36th Chamber" live score. IMAGE: Stefan Hoederath/Redferns

By Shannon Gormley | Published March 25 at 3:31 PM Updated March 25 at 3:31 PM

Next month, Portlanders will get to see hear the music of Wu-Tang Clan the way it was always meant to be heard—as a live score to a martial arts movie about a rebellion against an oppressive regime.

In 2016, RZA, the nominal leader of the legendarily sprawling rap group, started touring a live score to The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, a 1970s movie that follows a martial arts student's decision to take action against his government after a student uprising is violently suppressed. The score is semi-improvised, and mixes Wu-Tang and Wu-Tang-related tracks with vibey hip-hop instrumentals. His stop at the Hollywood Theatre on April 27 will be the tour's first Portland show.

Not only is it an opportunity to watch RZA's favorite martial arts movie with the influential producer himself, it will likely be the smallest venue where you'll ever be able to see him perform.

Wu-Tang's discography—not to mention the rap collective's name—is loaded with martial arts references, including their landmark debut, 1993's Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers). But 36th Chamber holds a particularly special place in RZA's heart.

"This film showed me that oppression was worldwide," he told Rolling Stone last year. "Here I am seeing the Manchurians oppressed, and it was a bunch of college kids standing up, trying to get involved with the revolution, risking their lives, destroying the school, and then this kid now has to find a way to get revenge to uplift the people."

Tickets for the Hollywood Theatre show go on sale Tuesday, April 2.
    No one here has seen this yet?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Miley & Wu

Wu-Tang Clan brings “Enter The Wu Tang: 36 Chambers” to Shoreline on June 22. I'm so there.

Miley Cyrus Sings "Drugs Rule Everything Around Me" on Her Wu-Tang-Inspired Song "D.R.E.AM."
    👀👀👀
    BY ERICA GONZALES
    MAY 31 2019, 1:54 AM EDT

[IMG]https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/miley-cyrus-performs-at-the-radio-1-big-weekend-at-stewart-news-photo-1151662951-1559244598.jpg?crop=0.747xw:1.00xh;0.107xw,0&resiz e=980:*[/IMG]
    JO HALE GETTY IMAGES

Miley Cyrus is back on her music grind with a six-track EP, She Is Coming, her follow-up to her 2017 album Younger Now. The project just released at midnight, but one song is already getting a lot of attention: "D.R.E.A.M." (Drugs Rule Everything Around Me) featuring Ghostface Killah.

The track is an obvious reference to Wu-Tang Clan's legendary 1993 hip-hop hit, "C.R.E.AM. (Cash Rules Everything Around Me)," if the title and feature artist didn't already give that away. Miley even samples "C.R.E.A.M." on the song. (Wu-Tang originally sampled 1967's "As Long as I've Got You" by The Charmels for their version of the track.)
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

It's possible Miley got the group's blessing if she was able to get the sample cleared and managed to get Wu-Tang member Ghostface Killah to drop a verse in the outro. But considering the amount of backlash Cyrus has received on social media for her take on hip-hop during her Bangerz era, it's unclear how this collaboration will ride with rap fans.

Possible critics aside, Miley's take on the Wu-Tang classic is an airy, chilled-out pop tune honoring the singer's party lifestyle. "Wake up with new tattoos on my body / Drugs rule everything around me," she sings in part of the chorus.

Read all of the lyrics to "D.R.E.A.M." below.

You're in my bed uninvited
    It's fine 'cause I'm in a mood
    Hope you don't mind if I spike it
    We'll drink it, just me and you

And you know we're gonna be alright
    We'll be sleeping on a red-eye flight
    Keep up with me 'til the end of the night
    And we're just gettin' started

Always last to leave the party
    Drugs rule everything around me
    Wake up with new tattoos on my body
    Hit the ghost, raise a toast, pop the molly
    I can go toe to toe, like I'm Olly
    We're all tryna feel the lonely

These planes are all UFOs
    And this city's in outer space
    It's better than where we came from
    I think that we both should stay

'Cause you know we're gonna be alright
    We'll be ****ing on a red-eye flight
    Keep up with me 'til the end of the night
    And we're just gettin' started

Always last to leave the party
    Wake up with new tattoos on my body
    Hit the ghost, raise a toast, pop the molly
    All the girls in my room look like Dolly
    We're all tryna feel the lonely

(Drugs rule everything around me)

[Outro: Ghostface Killah]
    The drugs rule everything around me
    You could call me a king
    I got it all in my store, you should crown me
    Purple Perc, sticky green Mollies, sipping lean
    Got the white that's sure to light the floor like in "Billie Jean"
    Scarface nights (Nights)
    500 thousand on the pinkie, Broadway ice (Ice)
    We throw bangers at weddings and y'all throw rice (Rice)
    Lollapalooza, Coachella custies, that's my type
    Party all night

THREADS
    The 36th Chamber of Shaolin - RZA live score
    Wu Forever!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Coolidge Corner Theatre, Brookline, Massachusetts, Sept. 20-21 2019

RZA of Wu-Tang Clan to perform live score during martial arts film at Coolidge Corner Theatre

By Steve Annear Globe Staff,August 8, 2019, 2:09 p.m.

RZA speaks onstage during the Hulu 2019 Summer TCA Press Tour at The Beverly Hilton Hotel on July 26, 2019 in Beverly Hills, California. A founding member of Wu-Tang Clan, RZA will perform live scores at the Coolidge Corner Theatre during two showings of “The 36th Chamber of Shaolin” in September.(PHOTO BY PRESLEY ANN/GETTY IMAGES FOR HULU)

The plan came together faster than a few expertly delivered kung fu moves — and it’s the most excited that Mark Anastasio, director of special programming at the Coolidge Corner Theatre, has been about an event in a very long time.

For two nights in September, RZA — real-name Robert Fitzgerald Diggs — a founding member of the legendary New York hip-hop group Wu-Tang Clan, will perform live scores at the Brookline venue during showings of “The 36th Chamber of Shaolin,” the 1978 martial arts film that served as inspiration for the group.

“We do a lot of cool things here,” said Anastasio, who has worked at the Coolidge for more than a decade. “But this is certainly a career highlight.”

Anastasio said it’s long been on the theater’s wish-list to get the noted producer, rapper, and director to bring his audio-visual performance, “RZA: Live from the 36th Chamber of Shaolin” — in which he provides the soundtrack to the martial arts flick, from opening to closing credits — to the area.

But pulling it all together always felt slightly out of reach.

“It always seemed like this unattainable gig,” he said in a telephone interview, “something so big that we could never bring it to Boston.”

Several months ago, however, the opportunity to carry out that fantasy finally presented itself.

In April, a colleague of Anastasio’s at the Hollywood Theatre, in Portland, Oregon, successfully brought RZA to the venue to perform for crowds, as the Lau Kar-leung-directed martial arts classic played on screen.

With the help and endorsement of staff from the Portland theater, Anastasio got in touch with the folks handling RZA’s public engagements, and managed to book the rapper for an East Coast appearance.

“We were off and running from there,” Anastasio said. “It came together fast.”

RZA will perform two shows at the Coolidge, on Sept. 20 and 21. The first performance has already sold out, and tickets for the encore performance are going quickly.

During the events, Anastasio said people can expect everything from “drum machines to keyboards and a baby grand piano” to be played, as characters from the film appear on screen and the epic fight scenes unfold.

“The award-winning musician, film composer, and director will be using a Wu-Tang catalog over two decades deep, as he drops beats from opening scene to closing credits, to amplify the action,” a description on the theater’s website says.

Anastasio added, “these are the beats from all of the Wu-Tang records that RZA produced, but being played in a way that works for a kung-fu fight scene.”

Following the shows, RZA will stick around and talk more about music, martial arts, and the history of the Wu-Tang, during question-and-answer sessions with attendees.

The first night will be moderated by music writer Brian Coleman, author of “Check the Technique: Liner Notes for Hip-Hop Junkies.”

Chris Faraone, editor of DigBoston and founder of the Boston Institute for Nonprofit Journalism, will guide the discussion on the second night.

Anastasio said the choice of moderators was deliberate.

“RZA specifically wanted people with deep hip-hop knowledge to be conducting these conversations with him,” he said.

For Faraone, chatting with RZA will mark something of a homecoming. The seasoned hip-hop writer compiled the liner notes for a special vinyl edition of the group’s 1993 debut album, “Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers),” a project done in collaboration with the rapper that was released in 2016.

He’s looking forward to continuing that conversation.

“It’s always an incredible honor to travel down memory lane with him — RZA has a remarkable ability to recall people and events,” Faraone said in a message to the Globe. “I will definitely be picking up on some of the loose threads that came up in our extensive interviews.”

Steve Annear can be reached at steve.annear@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @steveannear.
    I reached out to RZA when Wu-Tang came through last June but we missed. His agent gave me a courteous reply.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Return to Shaolin

RZA to perform at St. George Theatre in November; tickets on sale now
    Updated Sep 5, 2:33 PM; Posted Sep 5, 12:05 PM

Wu-Tang Clan member RZA, an executive producer of the Hulu miniseries "Wu-Tang: An American Saga," posing for a portrait during the 2019 Television Critics Association Summer Press Tour at the Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, Calif. (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP*)

By Victoria Priola | vpriola@siadvance.com

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- RZA returns to Shaolin in November for a special performance at the St. George Theatre.

The rapper, record producer, actor, director and founding member of the legendary hip-hop group Wu-Tang Clan will re-score the martial arts film “The 36th Chamber of Shaolin” by Lau Kar-leung at the St. George Theatre on Saturday, Nov. 9, at 8 p.m. Tickets went on sale Thursday at noon.

“RZA: Live from the 36th Chamber of Shaolin” features the artist re-scoring the film live from opening sequence to closing credit, utilizing Wu-Tang’s catalog. Wu-Tang buffs may know that Kar-leung’s film was RZA’s inspiration for the hip-hop group.

“Beyond the kung-fu, it was the reality of the situation that hit me," RZA said. “Growing up as a black kid in America, I didn’t know that that kind of story had existed anywhere else.”

stgeorgetheatre's profile picture
    stgeorgetheatre
    Staten Island! RZA wants to see YOU at the St. George Theatre on Saturday, November 9 for RZA: LIVE FROM THE 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN! Tickets go on sale today at 12PM #rza #wutangclan #wutang #thewutangclan #shaolin #the36thchamberofshaolin #36chambers #statenisland #stgeorgetheatre
    RZA’s score will feature more than 50 instrumental tracks, beats and vocals individually crafted and placed to amplify the narrative and action of Kar-leung’s classic.

Wu-Tang Clan also has a new Hulu series, “Wu-Tang: An American Saga," which revisits the group’s beginnings. Fans gathered in the heart of the Wu-Tang Clan District on Wednesday for free ice cream and merchandise in support of the series premiere.

HOW TO ATTEND

“RZA: Live from the 36th Chamber of Shaolin" will take place Saturday, Nov. 9, at 8 p.m. in the St. George Theatre, 35 Hyatt St. Doors open at 7 p.m. Tickets range from $35-$45.
    THREADS
    Wu-Tang: An American Saga
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

No Return to Shaolin...

RZA performance at St. George Theatre canceled ‘due to production issues’
    Posted Oct 22, 2019

Wu-Tang Clan member RZA, an executive producer of the Hulu miniseries "Wu-Tang: An American Saga," posing for a portrait during the 2019 Television Critics Association Summer Press Tour at the Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, Calif. (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP*)

By Victoria Priola | vpriola@siadvance.com

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- RZA’s return to Shaolin has been put on hold for now.

The founding member of the legendary hip-hop group Wu-Tang Clan was scheduled to perform Saturday, Nov. 9, at the St. George Theatre, but the show has been canceled.

“Due to production issues, ‘RZA: Live from the 36 Chambers’ on November 9 has been canceled,” said an official statement from the St. George Theatre. “Refunds are available at point of purchase.”

It was not immediately known if the show would be rescheduled.

The rapper has toured the country with “RZA: Live from the 36th Chamber of Shaolin,” in which he re-scores the martial arts film “The 36th Chamber of Shaolin” by Lau Kar-leung with live music from Wu-Tang’s catalog.

Wu-Tang buffs may know that the film was RZA’s inspiration for forming the hip-hop group.

“Beyond the kung-fu, it was the reality of the situation that hit me," RZA said. “Growing up as a black kid in America, I didn’t know that that kind of story had existed anywhere else.”

Wu-Tang Clan has made quite the comeback this year. “Wu-Tang: An American Saga” is now streaming on Hulu. With it has come promotional MTA MetroCards, free ice cream and multiple film shoots on Staten Island.

In fact, one stop on the “RZA: Live from the 36th Chamber of Shaolin” tour included a sit-down conversation about the Hulu series at Coolidge Corner Theatre in Massachusetts.

RZA has not officially commented on the cancellation of the St. George Theatre show.
    No show on the rugged grains of Shaolin soil...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

III Points 2020

Photo by Kyle Christy

Wu-Tang Clan's RZA: III Points 2020 Will Mark "a New Display of Our Creativity and Talent"
    KAT BEIN | JANUARY 30, 2020 | 8:40AM

RZA's last great Miami memory includes a potent mixture of weed, '70s kung fu flicks, and tequila shots till sunrise. It was April 2018, and the Wu-Tang Clan figurehead had come to town to headline III Points' annual 4/20-themed event, III Joints. For his performance, RZA crafted a live hip-hop soundtrack to The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, a Hong Kong cinema classic and seminal text in the Wu canon. It was half rap concert, half film screening, and all serious smoke-out.

“Everybody was really smoking and sippin',” RZA remembers. “There was moments where the audience was just engaged by what was on the screen, but there was moments where the audience gave in to the hip-hop performance that was happening, jumping up and down, throw your hands up in the air [stuff]. That was a very unique experience: outdoors, Miami, and the weather was beautiful.”

When III Joints wrapped, RZA and crew took the party to the downtown Miami nightclub Floyd. Shortly after joining Call Super — the DJ visiting that night — behind the booth, the rapper, producer, and all-around creative force let the Miami spirit take over, found a mike, and began MC'ing over the house mix bumping through the venue. Soon enough, dancers were being invited up for free tequila shots from Bobby Digital himself.

“I definitely was pouring a lot of shots into a lot of glasses,” he recalls. “One thing about me: When I party and I get loose, I just go with the flow.”

Things will undoubtedly flow once again come May, when the full Wu-Tang Clan will join RZA for a headlining set at III Points' full-fledged music festival. The Clan is preparing to mark the start of the 2020s as a new era for the group and will arrive in Miami armed with a whole new set list and stage production.

It's a welcome return: Since 2015, a member of Wu-Tang has played at least one III Points event per year. Ghostface Killah was the first to come through in 2015, followed by a hyped-up performance from Method Man and Wu affiliate Redman in 2016. III Points brought the full Clan through for a standalone concert during Art Basel 2017 and then called upon RZA for the 2018 edition of III Joints. Last year's festival saw a return from Ghostface, joined by Raekwon for a full performance of the 1995 classic Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...

“I mean, we love Miami, right?” RZA says. “It's always iconic to go there; we get that good Cuban food. Usually I don't eat until after the show, but I eat twice before the show [in Miami]. When invitations come from that city, we're trying to RSVP. If you guys want us to come, we want to come, and that's what we do.”

Wu-Tang Clan's last performance in Miami was heavy on songs from the group's seminal 1993 debut LP, Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers).

“It was sold-out to capacity,” RZA recalls, “and the energy was high. On that particular night, we actually brought in our stage set from New York, where we turned the stage to look like our neighborhood. What a night – I mean, what a weekend.”

This year, the group brought on a new creative developer, who, along with the long-term team, is designing a new stage production intended to bring the Wu-niverse into a new dimension. The set list is also getting a major face-lift, a treat for any Killer Bees looking for more solo Wu members and full Clan deep cuts during live shows.

“There's a lot of great songs in the catalog that don't get a lot of concert play for whatever reason,” RZA says. “The first call we had this week was changing our set list in a more cinematic, dynamic way."

It makes sense that RZA and the Clan would want to update their presentation for a new decade: vivid imagery and a flair for the theatrical have always been cornerstones of the Wu-Tang aesthetic. Across the group's discography, songs and albums are filled with movie samples and sound effects that help graft indelible imagery onto listeners' minds.

“Wu-Tang came out even before DVDs,” RZA laughs. “That may not sound like reality, but it is. There was no TV in your headrest; that didn't happen 'till late '96, '97.

"When we made 36 Chambers, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx..., and Liquid Swords, Ironman, the goal was that the audience would have an audiovisual experience; I was trying to make movies with those albums," he continues. "I'm from the generation of New Yorkers that, for good and bad reasons, used to travel out of state. Whether it was traveling down to Howard University to go to homecoming, on to Atlanta Freaknik, or going down to South Beach... I made [Wu-Tang Clan's music] with the idea of helping that road trip be cool for you.”

While the exact dimension and flavor of Wu-Tang's 2020 III Points headline set can't yet be defined, RZA is **** sure it's gonna be a movie of its own.

“We're striving — and I say 'striving' because you've got to strive, and if you get it, get it,” he says, "but we are striving to make this a new display of our creativity and our talent through our concerts. You guys will be among some of the first to see it this year.”

Indeed, the Wu hasn't held a single stateside performance since its popular Hulu series Wu-Tang: An American Saga first aired late last year. Animated by all of the renewed hype, RZA and the Clan are ready to ride a wave of innovation into the next chapter of their ongoing story.

“We have a lot of new fans getting engaged by us,” he says. “We're just looking forward to getting in front of them with the crew. This is foundation, and [we want] people to understand why Wu-Tang Clan ain't nothing to eff with.”

III Points 2020. With Wu-Tang Clan, Robyn, the Strokes, Disclosure, and others. Friday, May 1, and Saturday, May 2, at Mana Wynwood, 318 NW 23rd St., Miami; 305-573-0371; manawynwood.com. Tickets cost $99 to $249 via iiipoints.com.
    They're coming to the Oracle on February 21. Hopefully I can make that.

THREADS
    Wu Forever!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Detroit Symphony Orchestra

Wow. I would love to see this. I'm very into orchestral music and am a member of our local symphony - have been for years.

Wu-Tang Clan to perform with Detroit Symphony Orchestra in tribute to classic album, film
    Brian McCollum, Detroit Free PressPublished 11:00 a.m. ET Feb. 13, 2020

Closing act Wu-Tang Clan performs on the main stage during the Movement festival at Hart Plaza in Detroit on May 28, 2018. (Photo: Christopher M. Bjornberg, Special to the Free Press)

The Detroit Symphony Orchestra is ready to bring the ruckus — and some cinematic kung-fu.

The venerable DSO will team with pioneering hip-hop outfit Wu-Tang Clan on March 21 in a celebration of the group’s groundbreaking 1993 debut album, “Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers).”

Conceived by Wu-Tang founder RZA, the event will also include a screening of the ‘70s kung-fu movie that inspired the album’s title — “The 36th Chamber of Shaolin” — with the DSO performing the film's score.

Tickets will go on sale at 11 a.m. Feb 20. Proceeds from the concert, which is being presented by Quicken Loans Community Fund, will go to the DSO’s educational programs.

Wu-Tang has incorporated symphonic elements in the past — notably at the Coachella fest in 2013 — but this will be the group’s first collaboration with a full orchestra. Enrico Lopez-Yańez, principal pops conductor with the Nashville Symphony, will conduct the program.

In a statement Thursday, group founder RZA called the pairing “historic and monumental.”

“This collaboration with the DSO is a great example of the bandwidth that hip-hop has and how its community stretches across the landscape of music,” said RZA.

For the DSO, this is the second straight year a hip-hop heavyweight has been welcomed onto the Orchestra Hall stage: Rapper Nas teamed with the DSO last March for a classical treatment of his album "Illmatic."

"Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)" remains one of hip-hop's milestone records — an album that helped shape the sound of the '90s and influence a generation of producers. RZA and company celebrated the album's anniversary with performances at Detroit's Movement festival in 2018 and again at Michigan Lottery Amphitheatre last year.

Speaking backstage with the Free Press ahead of that 2018 Movement set, RZA reflected on the album's mythic status:

"We definitely had an epiphany, an intuition, that what we were doing was something that would be groundbreaking, that would explode around the world. We wanted to be that entity. It’s a blessing that we were able to achieve that through hard work — to be here 25 years later displaying our music and having fun with kids, with people of all age, colors, creeds and genders."

"We gave you a pure hip-hop album," said RZA. "Taking nothing away from our great predecessors and peers like Tribe (Called Quest) and everybody, you couldn’t even trace us totally back to jazz or any other one thing. It became like, ‘There’s only one category for this ... hip-hop!’ And even though we pulled from soul — we pulled from everything — just the way we manipulated it, and our lyrical approach, there was no other way to define it.”

Contact Detroit Free Press music writer Brian McCollum: 313-223-4450 or bmccollum@freepress.com.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hollywood Theatre’s Archive

Hollywood Theatre’s Archive is Home to a Kung Fu Film Collection Coveted by the Likes of Quentin Tarantino and RZA
    “You have to hate film as much as you love it before you can truly appreciate it. It’s such a pain in the ass.”

(Rock Burnside)

By Shannon Gormley |Published 5:33 AM Updated 7:46 AM

Last March, at Hollywood Theatre, fans of Wu-Tang Clan were treated to a rare event: a live scoring of the 1978 martial arts classic The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, orchestrated by the group's de facto leader, RZA.

But the legendary rapper and producer got something even better, and rarer, out of his appearance—a tour of the theater's archive room.

"He lost his mind," says Dan Halsted, the Hollywood's head programmer.

Halsted, 41, is the owner of a coveted collection of kung fu films, which he stores in a dimly lit, subterranean space roughly the size of a small, one-bedroom apartment. What makes it so valuable and unique is not the quantity of the films but the quality. Some of the reels found in the cardboard boxes lining the room's metal shelves are the only known prints in existence, including a few that are foundational to the Wu-Tang universe: The Mystery of Chessboxing, 7 Grand Masters and Shaolin vs. Wu Tang, which he scored for $25 from a film vault in L.A. that didn't know what it had.

The archive is also what drew Quentin Tarantino to the theater three years ago, when he made a surprise appearance during a screening of The Hateful Eight. "He borrows my stuff all the time," Halsted says.

The collection is so prized Halsted requested that its exact location be kept secret, and there were certain films WW wasn't allowed to photograph. When you first walk in, though, the archive just looks like an archetypal stoner hideout: Movie posters line the walls, Christmas lights hang from the ceiling. Amid the packed shelves sits a worn-out couch.

But the details are jaw-dropping. Some of the collection was dug up through careful hunting, but a lot of it was found via "raids"—whenever an old theater closes, Halsted grabs whatever they'll let him take. It's all difficult to come by, and difficult to keep.

"You have to hate film as much as you love it before you can truly appreciate it," says Halsted. "It's such a pain in the ass."

Edison Projector

(Rocky Burnside)

The Hollywood Theatre's projector collection includes a kinetoscope, or Edison projector, made during the silent film era. Halsted has been told his projector works, but he's never tried it for himself. The earliest commercial film stock has a nitrate base, which is highly flammable. "It kind of scares me a little bit," he says. "When nitrate catches on fire, it just burns till it's gone. You can throw it underwater and it still burns."

Film Repair Desk

(Rocky Burnside)

Halsted often has to repair the sprockets on the movies in his archive—those are the square holes along the sides of a film that hook onto a projector's winders. He repairs each one manually with a splicer, a tool that's a little like a hole punch. Each frame has four sprockets on each side, and each film has about 24 frames per second. "It's a nightmare," Halsted says. "Some of those kung fu shows, people have no idea the work that went into it. That was days of work."

Ku-Fang: Il Ciclone di Hong-Kong Poster

(Rocky Burnside)

When Tarantino visited the Hollywood in 2015, he gave Halsted a poster for the Italian version of Kung Fu Queen—a movie starring Angela Mao, one of the most famous female martial arts stars of all time—to thank him for his work as an archivist. The pair spent the rest of the night drinking across the street at the now-shuttered dive Blackwell's.

2001: A Space Odyssey on 70 mm

(Rocky Burnside)

The Hollywood is the only theater in Oregon that can screen 70 mm film. In the age of digital projection and streaming services, it's a luxury and inconvenience most theaters can't afford: Collectively, the 10 reels that make up 2001, which Halsted began screening yearly in 2015, weigh about 400 pounds. The Hollywood had to rent the film for each screening until last year, when it raised $25,000 to buy its own, brand-new print from Warner Bros. Halsted hopes to add more 70 mm prints to Hollywood's collection; his dream is to find Die Hard in wide format.

Moviola

(Rocky Burnside)

You can't stop or rewind a projector without burning a hole in the film, so editors would use Moviolas to view their works-in-progress. Like many things in the archive, it ended up at the Hollywood because someone was looking to get rid of it, and reached out to Halsted out of the blue. The machine arrived in pieces. Halsted learned how to put it together by watching a scene in 1981's Blow Out, in which John Travolta's character assembles one.

Hollywood Theatre Spring Highlights

Come to Daddy, Feb. 21

The Wiz, Feb. 24

Godzilla vs. King Kong on 35 mm, Feb. 25

The Future Is Now: Film Noir Hybrids for the Nervous Generation with Elliot Lavine, March 15-29
    I can totally imagine RZA nerding out here.

Wu-Tang is coming to our area this Friday but unfortunately I can't make it. I'm rather bummed about that. I was thinking of reaching out to RZA, but he wasn't available last time and I'd have to really work to make the time. He's probably busy anyway. Maybe next time.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bobby Digital - Pugilism

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

36 Cinema - Heroes of the East Trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wow

Friday, February 17, 2023 7:30PM — Saturday, February 18, 2023 7:30PM

RZA and the Colorado Symphony Present: 36 Chambers of Shaolin and A Ballet Through Mud
    Description
    From the mind of RZA – Colorado Symphony Imagination Artist and de facto leader of the Wu-Tang Clan – comes a symphonic double-feature that bridges the gap between classical and contemporary music. This February, don't miss the 36 Chambers of Shaolin* alongside a brand-new work by RZA that highlights spoken word, live ballet, and rich orchestration with the Colorado Symphony.

*This concert does not include members of the Wu-Tang Clan other than RZA.

"This collaboration really came about at the perfect time for me. As an artist, I’m always striving for ways to grow and evolve and when you get a chance to hear your music translated by an orchestra, it’s so fulfilling, the vibration of it, the feel of it. As musicians we strive to inspire or give inspiration to our listeners. At the same time, I was inspired to take my own music in a new and different direction and having the opportunity to collaborate with the Colorado Symphony had a huge impact on this project. This music comes straight from my heart and I’m excited to finally share it with the world." - RZA

Featured Artists
    RZA
    Christopher Dragon, conductor
    Yusha-Marie Sorzano, choreographer
    Sarah Lozoff, intimacy director
    Natalie McCall, dancer
    Andrea Soto, dancer
    Emara Neymour, dancer
    Myles Lavallee, dancer
    Alve, dancer
    Madison Moser, dancer

Repertoire
    36 Chambers of Shaolin*
    A Ballet Through Mud

*This concert does not include members of the Wu-Tang Clan other than RZA.

Get the 2-Pack!
    RZA and the Colorado Symphony Present: 36 Chambers of Shaolin and A Ballet Through Mud
    FEB 17-18 FRI-SAT 7:30

Stravinsky’s The Rite of Spring with Peter Oundjian
    MAY 26-27 FRI-SAT 7:30

Available Now! 2-Packs include the Imagination Artist concert of your choice and a paired Classics performance, chosen specifically by the Artist.

At the paired Classics performances, Pack holders will receive an over 80% discount on their tickets, best-available seats, and Imagination Lounge access with themed cocktails, giveaway items, and other special offers!

LEARN MORE
    Select another date of this performance:
    Saturday, February 18, 2023 7:30PM

Friday, February 17, 2023 7:30PM
    Boettcher Concert Hall
    Pricing: $15 - $98+
     Accessible seating is located in Orchestra 2, Dress Circle 1, and Mezzanine 7.
    +Plus fees & taxes.
    Not sure how 36 Chambers would pair with Rite of Spring, but this sounds really cool...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips