Thread: Bruised

Bruised

More from Cannes - Bruised.

Will Blake be convincing as an MMA fighter or is this going to be like another Colombiana?

Cannes: Blake Lively to Star in MMA Action-Drama 'Bruised'
    7:11 AM PDT 5/15/2017 by Tatiana Siegel

George Pimentel
    Blake Lively

The movie will be directed by Nick Cassavetes, switching gears from his biggest box-office hits 'The Notebook' and 'The Other Woman.'

Blake Lively is getting in the cage for the mixed martial arts film Bruised.

The action-drama will be directed by Nick Cassavetes, switching gears from his biggest box-office hits The Notebook and The Other Woman.

Sierra/Affinity is introducing the project to buyers in Cannes this week. The script, written by Michelle Rosenfarb, began circulating to foreign buyers over the weekend.

The film centers on a single mother working two jobs and a former MMA fighter who must return to the cage in order to keep her son.

Thunder Road Pictures’ Basil Iwanyk is producing alongside Linda Gottlieb and Guymon Casady of Management 360. Production is slated to begin in September.

Lively proved that she could carry a film with last year's breakout The Shallows, which took $119 million globally. She also was on hand at Cannes last year with Woody Allen's Cafe Society, which opened the festival.

She and Cassavetes are repped by WME.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The Rhythm Section

Will Blake be convincing as an international spy or is this going to be like another Colombiana?

Paramount Lands Blake Lively Spy Thriller ‘The Rhythm Section’ By 007 Producers & IM Global
    by Mike Fleming Jr
    August 16, 2017 12:51pm

REX/Shutterstock

EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Pictures just landed itself a potential new global franchise. The studio will team with IM Global and James Bond producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli for The Rhythm Section, a female global espionage thriller to star Blake Lively, with The Handmaid’s Tale director/exec producer Reed Morano to helm the first of what they hope will become a franchise. Paramount acquired the film and will release it in most world territories.

Both Paramount and IM Global confirmed the deal. Said new IM Global chief Rob Friedman, “I’m thrilled to be working with Barbara and Michael on this very exciting project.”

Harper Collins

Lively, Morano, Eon Production and recently exited IM Global head Stuart Ford aligned earlier this summer to the thriller that is fueled by the work of British novelist Mark Burnell, who wrote the script. Ford, who forged a relationship with Broccoli on the Toronto-bound Film Stars Don’t Die In Liverpool, will be exec producer along with Greg Shapiro and Burnell. It is worth noting that for the producers of the iconic male 007 franchise, this is the first espionage thriller they’ve done outside that, and they’ve chosen one built around a female protagonist. Production will begin in the fall.

Lively plays a woman who is on a path of self-destruction after her family dies in a plane crash — a flight that she was supposed to be on. After being told by a journalist that the crash was an act of terror covered up by intelligence agencies, and then watching that journalist get killed, the woman’s anger awakens a new sense of purpose and she rises to uncover the truth by adapting the identity of an assassin to track down those responsible. The new and lethal Stephanie Patrick is on a mission to fill the void between what she knows and what she is told.

Other novels in Burnell’s popular series include Gemini, The Third Woman and Chameleon.

Lively is coming off the sleeper summer 2016 hit The Shallows, the Woody Allen-directed Café Society and The Age Of Adaline. She also co-starred in the Ben Affleck-directed The Town. The cinematographer-turned-director Morano most recently helmed (and was DP on) I Think We’re Alone Now, with Peter Dinklage and Elle Fanning. That film is in post for a 2018 premiere.

Morano and Lively are repped by WME, the latter also by Management 360. WME Global brokered the deal.
    This probably deserves its own indie thread from Bruised but I couldn't resist.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Halle

So Catwoman meets John Wick?

Halle Berry To Star In And Make Her Feature Directorial Debut With MMA Drama ‘Bruised’
    by Amanda N'Duka
    September 11, 2018 10:00am

Matt Baron/Shutterstock
    EXCLUSIVE: Oscar winner Halle Berry is making her directorial debut with Bruised, a mixed martial arts action drama in which she’s also starring. Berry, currently in production on John Wick 3 starring opposite Keanu Reeves, will reteam with John Wick producer Basil Iwanyk of Thunder Road Pictures, who is also producing Bruised along with Entertainment 360 and Linda Gottlieb.

Written by Michelle Rosenfarb, the plot follows Jackie “Justice,” a disgraced MMA fighter who has failed at the one thing she’s ever been good at – fighting. When 6-year-old Manny, the son she walked out on years ago, returns to her doorstep, Jackie has to conquer her own demons, face one of the fiercest rising stars of the MMA world, and ultimately fight to become the mother this kid deserves.

Berry will work with the team that does the fight choreography for the John Wick franchise.

Production starts next year in March, with Riverstone financing and Erica Lee serving as exec producer. The film is developed with the EIS company.

Berry made history as the first (and currently the only) black woman to win the Best Actress Oscar for her performance in 2001’s Monster’s Ball. It was recently announced that she’ll star in Sony’s remake of the 1985 thriller Jagged Edge.

She’s repped by Management 360 and WME.

FYI, I did eventually make an indie thread for The Rhythm Section but it didn't go far, even though I WAS THERE FOR THE FILMING
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tko

Halle Berry injured while filming MMA movie ‘Bruised’ in N.J., forcing rescheduling of Newark scenes
    Updated Nov 19, 2019;Posted Nov 18, 2019

Valerie Macon | AFP | Getty Images
    Halle Berry in May. Berry is making her directorial debut with "Bruised," the story of an MMA fighter seeking redemption.

By Amy Kuperinsky | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

“Bruised,” Halle Berry’s new movie and directorial debut, was set to film in Newark on Monday, but the production had to reschedule after the star sustained an injury during a fight scene.

In the film, Berry, 53, stars as Jackie, or “Justice,” a mixed martial arts fighter who has to work her way back from ruin and reunite with her 6-year-old son, Manny.

“Halle got slightly injured in the fight,” executive producer Brian Pitt tells NJ Advance Media. "She’s tired. She needed a break.”

Filming was scheduled for Monday at Mack’s Elite Heat Boxing Gym on Mount Pleasant Avenue, where it was to continue for a week. Signs announcing parking restrictions are posted along the street and neighboring roads. A sign on the gym says “Gym closed till 12/2/19. Do not enter!”

Pitt would not elaborate on the nature of Berry’s injury, though he says it is “nothing serious." Regardless, producers moved to reschedule gym scenes for another time.

“Occasionally what’s going to happen is an actor might get a little injured, and we might adjust scheduling around them a little bit," says Pitt, who grew up in West Orange.

Last week, the production filmed in Atlantic City. Producers have also scouted locations in Trenton and Camden.

“We’re doing our best to showcase Jersey the best we can," Pitt says.

He said filming would likely resume on Friday, but that locations would probably be shuffled.

Halle Berry movie "Bruised"
    Amy Kuperinsky | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Mack's Elite Heat Boxing Gym in Newark is being used as a filming location for "Bruised."

“We are in the process of just moving things around for actor availability," Pitt says.

The possibility of actors being sidelined by injuries is always present on a film about MMA fighters, especially considering real-life fighters are participating in the movie.

“We have fighters coming in from around the country, and they get injured in other bouts,” he says.

On social media, Berry, who became the first black woman to win the lead actress Oscar in 2002 (for “Monster’s Ball”), has called the chance to direct her own movie a dream come true.

Last week, the actress and director filmed under the huge barrel vault ceiling at Jim Whelan Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City. An octagon ring had been set up inside the venue.

In order to get in fighting shape, Berry trained for eight months. She posted a photo of the fruits of her labor — six-pack abs — on Instagram.

For “Bruised,” Berry is working with the fight choreographers from another of her recent films, “John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum."

halleberry
    Verified

halleberry's profile picture
    halleberry
    Verified
    Happy #FitnessFriday, everyone! There’s no better feeling than setting a goal and smashing it. One of my goals for #BruisedTheMovie? Ripped Abs - and today? I finally got them, and it feels unbelievable! This #FitnessFriday, I encourage you guys to set your bar. What is your fitness goal? Set the BAR higher than you think, share your goal in the comments and HOLD yourself to it. The work won’t be easy, but that pay off? Worth every **** second. In the meantime, head to stories for my #BruisedTheMovie workout, courtesy of my performance coach @mubarakmalik, aka "Bar" and put that inner-warrior to the test! Happy Friday! ♥️
    1w

Elite Heat is the home boxing gym for Newark native Shakur Stevenson, 22, who holds the World Boxing Organization featherweight title. He also won a silver medal in the bantamweight division at the 2016 Olympics. Roseland’s Vito Mielnicki Jr., 17, also trains there.

Speaking to NJ Advance Media on Saturday, Kenneth Gifford, director of the Newark Office of Film and Television, expected filming to continue through December. The production is scheduled to film for up to 18 days at various locations across the city, he said.

In Atlantic City, the movie is expected to benefit from a 37% tax credit, 2% of which may be approved because “Bruised” has a diversity plan.

Berry took some time out last week for a heartfelt talk with members of the Atlantic City Xclusive Drill Team, according to a report in The Press of Atlantic City. She encouraged the students on the team to pursue their dreams, whatever the obstacle, and used her work on the movie as a prime example.

“The problem was, it wasn’t written for somebody like me, or any of you,” she told them. “It was written for a 21-year-old, and I’m nowhere near 21. It was written for a 21-year-old white girl that lived in — somewhere else. She didn’t live in a neighborhood that I would be growing up in.”

Berry said she worked with writers to change the script.

“My whole life has been about fighting,” she told the Atlantic City group. “Being a woman of color, I have never had an easy path. I’ve had to always make a way out of no way."
    Just use a stunt person. We can't all be Jackie Chan.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shamier Anderson & Adan Canto

Halle Berry MMA Feature ‘Bruised’: Shamier Anderson & Adan Canto Step Into Ring For Oscar Winner’s Directorial Debut
    By Anthony D'Alessandro, Amanda N'Duka
    December 4, 2019 11:03am

Shamier Anderson left and Adan Canto right.
    Courtesy; Shutterstock

EXCLUSIVE: Destroyer and TIFF Rising Star Shamier Anderson and Designated Survivor actor Adan Canto are heading into the MMA arena for Halle Berry’s feature directorial debut Bruised, Deadline has learned.

Berry
    Baron/Shutterstock

Written by Michelle Rosenfarb, the pic follows Jackie Justice (played by Berry), a washed-up MMA wrestler who has failed at the one thing she’s ever been good at – fighting. When 6-year-old Manny, the son she walked out on years ago, returns to her doorstep, Jackie has to conquer her own demons, face one of the fiercest rising stars of the MMA world and ultimately fight to become the mother this kid deserves.

Anderson will play the owner of the female mixed martial arts league that Jackie Justice participates in. Canto plays Berry’s MMA manager and boyfriend.

Canto’s credits include the acclaimed Netflix series Narcos, ABC’s Blood and Oil and Fox’s The Following. On the film side, he co-starred as the Sunspot in 20th Century Fox’s X-Men: Days of Future Past. He recently wrote, directed and produced his first short The Shot, starring Theo Rossi.

In September, the Toronto International Film Festival recognized and honored Anderson as a 2019 TIFF Rising Star. He co-stars as twins Anton and Dario in the third Season of Amazon’s Goliath opposite Billy Bob Thornton. Anderson recently completed filming AMC’s For Life, a six-part anthology drama series about the intersection of love and science. He also wrapped filming the Netflix movie Awake opposite Gina Rodriguez and Stowaway with Anna Kendrick and Toni Colette. Other credits include Destroyer, Race and the upcoming Drake Doremus’ movie Endings, Beginnings starring Shailene Woodley.

Additionally, Anderson and his brother Stephan James are co-founders of BLACK, an acronym for Building a Legacy in Acting Cinema and Knowledge. BLACK’s initiative is to mentor the younger generation of filmmakers and to change lives through the arts. The foundation is Toronto based and annually hosts The BLACK Ball during the Toronto International Film Festival at the TIFF Lightbox.

Anderson is represented by CAA, Oscars Abrams Zimel + Associates and Mosaic. Canto is repped by UTA, Management 360 and Miloknay Weiner.

Bruised is produced by Basil Iwanyk, Brad Feinstein, Erica Lee, Linda Gottlieb and Guymond Casady.
    I saw Destroyer last weekend, a tour de force for Nicole Kidman. However Shamier's performance didn't really stick out to me.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

$20 M to Netflix

Impressive. Good to know some films are doing okay now.

Netflix To Pay $20 Million For Halle Berry’s MMA Blockbuster Bruised
    BY : LUCY CONNOLLY ON : 13 SEP 2020 12:29

PA Images/halleberry/Instagram

It seems Halle Berry’s MMA blockbuster made quite the impact at the Toronto International Film Festival this weekend, with Netflix set to pay heavily for the distribution rights to the film.

The streaming service is in the process of finalising a deal to pay $20 million for Bruised, the mixed martial arts drama that marks the directorial debut of the Cloud Atlas star and sees her in the starring role of former MMA fighter Jackie Justice.

Despite only screening as a work-in-progress at the film festival, reports suggest Netflix saw it before its world premiere and took it off the table before anybody else could see it yesterday, September 12.

PA Images

According to an exclusive report from Deadline, this is the first major deal to be agreed at he Toronto International Film Festival, with Endeavor Content and Netflix closing it up currently.

Netflix is yet to comment on the reported sale, although Berry confirmed the news on social media by tweeting a link to a Variety article which spoke of the ‘monster deal’.

‘I am speechless,’ the actor wrote. ‘Thank you @netflix for believing in my vision, cannot wait for y’all to finally see #BruisedTheMovie.’

Although it’s not yet known when the film will be released on the streaming service, Berry has been preparing for her starring role for a long time, having been working hard to sculpt her body in recent months.

In one social media post last year, the actor made clear just how dedicated she was to the role by sharing a picture of her perfectly toned stomach while explaining how ‘unbelievable’ it feels to have ‘finally’ achieved abs.

In fact, it seems she’s so dedicated to the cause that, even after breaking two of her ribs on set during a fight scene with co-star Valentina Shevchenko, she didn’t let the pain stop her. ‘I didn’t want to stop because I had prepared for so long,’ Berry told Variety.

She continued:

We had rehearsed; we were ready. So my mind, my director’s mind, was just — keep going. And I compartmentalised that, and I just kept going: ‘I’m not going to stop. I’ve come too far. I’m going to act as if this isn’t hurting. I’m going to will myself through it.’ And so we did.

The film centres on Berry’s character Jackie, a disgraced MMA fighter who has ‘failed at the one thing she’s ever been good at – fighting’.

‘When six-year-old Manny, the son she walked out on years ago, returns to her doorstep, Jackie has to conquer her own demons, face one of the fiercest rising stars of the MMA world, and ultimately fight to become the mother this kid deserves,’ the film’s synopsis states.

No further information has been given about the storyline, so I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what Netflix has in store for us in the coming months.

If you have a story you want to tell, send it to UNILAD via story@unilad.com

Lucy Connolly
    A Broadcast Journalism Masters graduate who went on to achieve an NCTJ level 3 Diploma in Journalism, Lucy has done stints at ITV, BBC Inside Out and Key 103. While working as a journalist for UNILAD, Lucy has reported on breaking news stories while also writing features about mental health, cervical screening awareness, and Little Mix (who she is unapologetically obsessed with).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cat v Halle

Halle Berry sued by ex-UFC fighter Cat Zingano over 'Bruised' role
    Author of the article:WENN - World Entertainment News Network
    Publishing date:Aug 17, 2021 • 18 minutes ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation

Halle Berry and Cat Zingano. PHOTO BY FILE PHOTOS /Getty Images

Halle Berry has been named in a lawsuit filed by ex-UFC fighter Cat Zingano.

According to legal papers obtained by TMZ, the Academy Award-wining actress promised her a role in her forthcoming Netflix film Bruised, but the offer went unfulfilled.

Zingano said she was offered a lucrative fight with the UFC, but was told by Berry to turn it down due to liability issues from the film’s insurers, and she was released by the UFC thereafter.

Following her dismissal, Berry apparently dropped her from the movie, and Zingano claimed the star stopped communicating with her

She’s suing for damages, claiming she relied on Berry’s promise and subsequently missed out on career opportunities.
    Sounds like Cat has a case. She declined a UFC fight on the promise of this part and was subsequently let go from UFC.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bruised | Halle Berry | Official Trailer | Netflix

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Female hip hop

Halle Berry’s Film ‘Bruised’ Will Feature The First All-Female Hip-Hop Soundtrack
    ADRIAN SPINELLI TWITTER
    NOVEMBER 3, 2021

When the film Bruised comes out in theaters on November 17th and then on Netflix a week later, it’ll mark Halle Berry’s directorial debut on the big screen. She’ll also be playing the film’s starring role as the maligned mixed martial arts fighter, Jackie Justice, looking to make a return to the octagon as she looks to get her life back on track.

Along with Berry’s breakthrough as a director, the film’s soundtrack, out November 19th, will also be making history as the first all-female hip-hop soundtrack to a major film release. Co-executive produced by the Academy Award winning Berry and Cardi B (who will be hosting the AMAs this month), the soundtrack will feature songs by Cardi, Saweetie, City Girls, HER, Flo Milli, Latto, Young MA, Baby Tate, Rapsody, Erica Banks, Big Bottle Wyanna, Ambre, and DreamDoll. Of the 13-tracks on the album, six are original cuts written specifically for the movie and seven additional tracks that were inspired by the flick. The single “Scared” by City Girls, is out tomorrow night.

The Young MA track on the film’s trailer, so check that out below.

Bruised (Soundtrack From And Inspired By The Netflix Film) is out 11/19 via Warner Records.

Some artists covered here are Warner Music artists. Uproxx is an independent subsidiary of Warner Music Group.
    I just caught Flo Milli at Outside Lands last weekend.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First Forum Review

Halle’s MMA tour de force. Or an effort to be such.

It’s another reluctant loser fighter given their shot at the title. I don’t know why boxing & MMA films follow this stereotype. I know plenty of pro fighters and have been to lots of live fights and it just don’t work that way. There’s a lot of problems with this story.

Trivia - the opening montage of women’s MMA fights - I was at one of those.

That being said, Halle delivers a solid performance. And she can sell a punch surprisingly well. Her opponent is real UFC flyweight champ Valentina Shevchenko and the end fight is okay - absurd MMA choreo but amusing. Halle looked strong although skinny compared to Valentina’s thickness.

It’s a big fat ad for UFC, Invicta & Nike.

The drama is uneven and overdone. Although well acted, there were too many inconsistencies for me to suspend belief to go the distance.

Nevertheless it had some moments. I liked her coach, Buddakhan. And the kid was cute.

Trivia - Blake Lively was originally cast as the lead but left the project to rendezvous with me in Dublin (Full disclosure - she was there to film a scene for The Rhythm Section adjacent to St Stephen’s Green where I stayed on his last trip to the Badlands - we never met and the scene was cut) Blake would’ve done a completely different film. Halle made this very African American, which was one of the better aspects of this film.

Ultimately this failed for me because I know the fight game too well...and I don’t really know it that well, but the ol’ reluctant loser fighter is a trope that’s so tiresome to me.

More trivia - Flo Milli has a track and I just saw her at Outside Lands.

Fast forward to the final fight.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips