Thread: Goodbye Mr. Loser 夏洛特煩惱

Goodbye Mr. Loser 夏洛特煩惱

This is now the box office leader in China. I post it because of that iconic yellow jumpsuit.

It is now playing in the U.S courtesy of AMC.

Goodbye Mr. Loser

Now Playing

Synopsis

Comedians Shen Teng and Mai Li star in this film adaptation of the very popular Mainland theater play following the story of a middle-aged loser who finds himself magically transported back to his high school years, enabling him to fix all his life's mistakes.

Running Time
    1 hr 54 min
    Genre
    Comedy
    Director
    Peng Damo, Yan Fei
    Cast
    Chang Chao Yuan, Ma Li, Shen Teng
    Release Date
    October 9, 2015
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Sued for an internet post

Now I kind of want to see this. I sort of remember Peggy Sue Got Married. Well, maybe not, now that I think about it.

Goodbye Mr. Loser team sues film critic

By Kevin Ma

Thu, 19 November 2015, 16:50 PM (HKT)

Policy/Legal News
    The makers of hit Chinese comedy Goodbye Mr. Loser 夏洛特煩惱 have filed a lawsuit against an internet film writer who accuses the film of plagiarism.

Last month, writer Yang Wen 楊文 – under the internet pseudonym Wen Bai 文白 – posted an article on public Wechat group 影畫誌 detailing how Goodbye Mr. Loser was copied in detail from the 1986 American comedy Peggy Sue Got Married. The article lists each story beat from the respective films to show their similarities.

According to the lawsuit filed by Fun Age Pictures Co Ltd 北京開心麻花文化發展有限公司, New Classics Media Corporation 新麗傳媒股份有限公司 and writers PENG Damo 彭大魔 and YAN Fei 閆非 at Beijing's Chaoyang District People's Court, the article was read over 100,000 times after it was reposted on other media platforms.

The plaintiffs accuse Yang of damaging the reputation of the creators with malicious lies and degrading the film with slander. They demand that Yang remove the post, issue a public apology on China's major media platforms and pay RMB2.2 million (US$345,000) in damages.

Before the lawsuit was officially filed, Yang told local media that he stood by his claims. He then posted a second article, once again detailing the similarities between the two films and arguing that the similarities go beyond pure coincidence.

While this is not the first time internet film critics in China accuse a local film of plagiarism, this is likely the first time that film companies are striking back with legal action. If Fun Age Pictures wins the case, it may have a major impact on internet film criticism in China, which enjoys relative freedom.

A fantasy about a man who dreams of traveling back to his high school days, Goodbye Mr. Loser was the adaptation of a play by comedy troupe Happy Mahua. The film has made RMB1.44 billion (US$226 million) at the box office, making it China's second highest-grossing 2-D film of all time.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

not plagiary

Film Critic Loses Defamation Suit Over Movie Review

The production company behind ‘Goodbye Mr. Loser’ had sued over claims of plagiarism leveled in Yang Wen’s 2015 review.
    Cai Xuejiao
    Jan 18, 2019 3-min read

A film critic has lost a defamation case over a review and been ordered to pay 80,000 yuan ($11,800) in compensation to the film’s production company, industry news outlet China Movie Report wrote in a social media post Thursday.

A court in Beijing’s Chaoyang District ruled Tuesday that Yang Wen, better known by the pen name Wen Bai, had distorted facts about the 2015 film “Goodbye Mr. Loser” in a review from October of that year, according to the post. The movie’s production company, Mahua FunAge, had filed a lawsuit against Yang soon thereafter, demanding 2.21 million yuan in damages.

In the review, Yang claimed “Goodbye Mr. Loser” had plagiarized from the 1986 American film “Peggy Sue Got Married.” Since its initial publication, the review has been widely circulated, receiving more than 100,000 views on social app WeChat.

The production company’s lawyer had argued that there was “no plagiarism at all” in the film and accused Yang of “distorting facts and insulting” the film, according to an article published in July 2016 on ChinaCourt.org, a state-run website for judicial affairs. Meanwhile, the lawyer representing Yang claimed that his client’s comparison of the two films constituted literary criticism and should therefore be protected as freedom of expression.

In an article published Wednesday to his public account on WeChat, Yang said “a sense of responsibility” had compelled him to pen the review over three years ago. “When I noticed something, I had to say it, and I never thought about the consequences,” he wrote. “I even felt that if there was a debate … the truth could be clarified, and it would be good for the film industry.”

The following day, Yang wrote in another article — titled “Thank You for Your Help, I Don’t Know How I Can Repay You” — that he would not appeal the case. The critic also expressed gratitude to his supporters, who had collectively donated over 80,000 yuan for the compensation payment to the production company, as well as to his lawyers. “They have always insisted on the freedom of literary criticism,” Yang wrote, referring to his legal counsel. “However, the judge did not consider this to be literary criticism, which was quite unexpected.”

Wang Fei, a lawyer at Beijing Zebo Law Firm with experience in reputation infringement cases, told Sixth Tone on Friday that “there is no absolute freedom in criticism.” Rather than defending a review as a work of literary criticism, “we should focus on its content,” Wang said. “Finding out whether the content consists of insult, defamation, or publicizing others’ private information is the core [issue].”

But Cheng Qingsong — editor in chief of Youth Film Handbook, an industry journal that features reviews and academic theory — told Sixth Tone on Friday that he detected no hint of malice in the critic’s review, adding that he had personally donated 1,000 yuan to assist with Yang’s compensation payment.

Chen expressed concern over the precedent set by the Beijing court’s ruling. “Film critics should not be afraid of sharing their opinions,” he said. “If there is no freedom of criticism, then praise is meaningless.”

Editor: Layne Flower.

(Header image: A promotional poster for ‘Goodbye Mr. Loser’ at a movie theater in Yichang, Hubei province, Sept. 28, 2015. VCG)
    Shoot. I saw this and never reviewed it?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First forum review

This is a sleeper PRC indie rom com that came out of nowhere and stole the chicoms' hearts and I get why. It's a parody of Chinese rom com that inevitably becomes a good rom com, so it's meta in that way that China adores. Almost intolerably sentimental, with that deeply imbued worship of self sacrifice, it's a spin on Its a Wonderful Life (Chinese netizens accused it of plagiarizing Peggy Sue Got Married, but from what little I remember of that film, I wouldn't've said so, and now I'm tainted by the lawsuit above). There's one lackluster fight scene and an absurd nunchuck song. I was fascinated with its borderline Mo Lei Tuo humor, and it's sappiness while mocking sappiness. It was illuminating regarding the tastes of Chinese filmgoers so I wasn't bored, but I don't recommended it unless you're really into Chinese cinema.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips