Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: September/October 2003 issue

September/October 2003 issue

Hey Gene, I got a question: I was at the bookstore today and saw the new issue, September/October was out (and even on martial arts mart it is there) but my issue has yet to arrive via mail. Are they running late this month?
    I have a signature.

I got mine either Friday or Sat. (actually didn't have to call or anything).
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

subscribers

We always send out our subscriber issues the instant that we receive them. We ship by bulk mail and sometimes, depending on the region, the newsstands distributors beat us out. You see, our printer ships the issues directly to us and our distributors, and I have no idea how distributors work. Once Hawaii got the issue before we did here! We post them at www.MartialArtsMart.com as soon as we receive them too, so actually the fastest way to get a copy would be to order online, but then you'd have to pay shipping and wouldn't get the subscription discount.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Ok, it arrived today. As soon as I get done talking to this sweet young thing on the phone (sorry Margie, she's in my mind now), I'll get down to reading it.
    I have a signature.

Ok I had the chance to flip through the magazine, and scanned over article titles and noticed it is another internal issue. I'll read the articles on Bagua and all, but Im not a huge fan of Taiji for some reason. I might try and glance at them.

My opinion, and others may agree, is to split the issues up between internal/external. In each issue, publish some articles on both internal and external. Like don't do an issue with 10 internal articles and 1 external, being that I'm an external stylist, the internal stuff tends to fall on deaf ears to me. And don't publish an external only issue, because then it may fall on deaf ears to some internal stylists.

I think it would look nice if you kind of divide them up, maybe do like 6 internal articles and 4 external, etc. So each person has something to look at. That is just my opinion. I'm gonna go back and flip through and read some articles.
    I have a signature.

Philbert.

What is wrong with "internal" articles?

I used to subscribe to T'ai Chi magazine but quit as I found many articles to be , ahem how shall we say aaah, not to my liking.

But I guess the same holds true for any publication.

But agree a balance of articles would be better, but than I am not a subscriber of said magazine and thus my opinion means squat.
    Witty signature under construction.

Speaking of Specialization of issues, Gene, do you guys plan on doing a weapons or equipment issue any time soon? I have revisited my research on staffs and wood....
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I'd be the first to admit that the current issue is excessively internal. We did have a few external articles on Hung Gar, Wushu and Sanshou. But we went intentionally overboard on this one for two reasons. One was that we are using this issue as a flagship to cater to the new age circle of advertisers. Yep, advertising drive, as well as a distribution drive. A keen eye will note that we even changed our title to increase public acceptance. Newsstand publications have been very challenging lately, and we intend to stay viable by beating the market to the punch. The second reason is to set up the next issue. Yep, that's a tease.

In any case, thank you for supporting the mag and keep the feedback coming!

np - Keep your research up. We're still developing that concept and still looking for you to participate. Email me privately with further developments.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

We're still developing that concept and still looking for you to participate.
    Cool...
    I'll be contacting one of the guys who helped me do some of that research again soon, I'll see what else I can find as well... so far waxwood, rattan, and I've just done a litte as far as other uses for the other common woods used...
    practice wu de

That's awesome, NP

Keep up the good research!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

For Future Reference

I'd like to see a couple of Xingyiquan articles, and maybe even something on the Kung Fu/Krotty link.

Or, a two-page spread of me, the Gimp! But, we're gonna hafta airbrush a sixpack. Haven't been able to do a crunch in forever.

Anyway, call me when y'all'eready for my closeups.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Re: For Future Reference

Originally posted by Vash
    I'd like to see a couple of Xingyiquan articles, and maybe even something on the Kung Fu/Krotty link.

Or, a two-page spread of me, the Gimp! But, we're gonna hafta airbrush a sixpack. Haven't been able to do a crunch in forever.

Anyway, call me when y'all'eready for my closeups.
    Or a 2 page spread of everyone's favorite "got qi?" girl.
    I have a signature.

thanks guys

I'm working on those xingyi pieces - personal research, don'tyaknow. And I'm looking into kung fu links to other styles - that one is always a little tricky since our readers can be so fickle with anything not kung fu. I feel that nothing could be more kung fu then to show how it helped with the development of other styles, but you know how our community can be.

As for any 2 page spreads, well, don't hold your breath on those. We'll consider it. I got a shot of Margie topless in the last issue - what more to you want?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

. I got a shot of Margie topless in the last issue - what more to you want?
    Long Life Health Bar?
    practice wu de

yeah, well, the bosses shot down our "sparmaster or nothing at all" campaign...

...that wasn't Margie anyway, it was Tammy. Fun shoot - we still have th pics - but we're not publishing them. As for Margie, she enjoyed the topless shoot, as she revealed here on another thread, and seems willing, if not eager to do more. But in order to do so, that last shoot has to work, so if you want to see more of Margie, you gotta buy up those Long Life Health Bars.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips