Thread: What is the best Kung Fu System for Fighting Multiple attackers ?

What is the best Kung Fu System for Fighting Multiple attackers ?

I herd Choy Lay Fut is good at it . What other kung fu styles are good for fighting many attackers at one time ?

none? all?

The fighter is key here. More so than style. Style isn't anything until it's applied. The person must apply.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

None of them. If you're getting jumped by multiple attackers simultaneously, you might get a few good licks in, but you're going down. That is, unless your attackers are uncoordinated morons, in which case, you may want to re-evaluate the situation.

Blog Entries
    Gweilo_Fist

None of them. If you're getting jumped by multiple attackers simultaneously, you might get a few good licks in, but you're going down. That is, unless your attackers are uncoordinated morons, in which case, you may want to re-evaluate the situation.

THIS is where Choy Lee Fut excels. Supported by Bruce Lee.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

All the kung fu systems of China have this theory in mind. Just look at the forms, how they constantly change directions. The changing of directions represents multiple opponents. In ancient China you could imagine bandits traveled in groups. Ever watch an old shaw brothers film?

I had an incident about 20 years ago outside a bar where three bigger guys were trying to surround me to kick my ass, I grabbed a bottle broke it and kept it in front of me as a deterrent. I moved around using evasive foot work and made sure no one got close enough or behind me. they eventually gave up cause they could get a hold of me.

I thought kung fu styles like Choy Lay Fut or long fist kung fu was good because they are circular and there punches or some of there punches and techniques move in circular movements as if someone was surounding a person and that styles like wing chun are more straight line arts just dealing with one attacker at a time .

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    All the kung fu systems of China have this theory in mind. Just look at the forms, how they constantly change directions. The changing of directions represents multiple opponents.

Yep, any style that have such footwork, tactics and mid to long range techniques against multiple opponents will do. One uses such footwork to avoid being attacked by more than one opponent at the same time. He uses the body of one opponent to block the attack coming from other opponents.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLau View Post
    Yep, any style that have such footwork, tactics and mid to long range techniques against multiple opponents will do. One uses such footwork to avoid being attacked by more than one opponent at the same time. He uses the body of one opponent to block the attack coming from other opponents.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    The first style I trained was Kajukenbo Hop Gar hybrid style..basically you learn to fight Karate style like Machida but without the BJJ as it was taught in the 70s.

You learn to Karate spar Horse, Bow and Cat stance Jab, Cross Hook punch with snap and thrust kicks. So basic how to fight one guy while in a front and side stance. Then after 5 years they focus on White Crane Footwork and strikes, so now you start using angling footwork to move around your opponent instead of just fighting front facing.

I didnt learn the whole system but I think the intent was fight one guy like a kick boxer and then when the fight becomes unfair you use dirty moves that usually force the UFC ref to stop the fight like if at the beach throw sand in his eyes while using snap kicks to the groin backed up with multiple jabs and you will use Sow Choi Longfist hook punches to the neck while using hammer fist and elbows to the top of spine after he bends over from multiple groin kicks.

so fight the one guy head on like karate give him a cheap shot...his buddy moves in keep moving around the new attackers with long fist cheap shots until you can fight one guy face on kick box style with two hand control for a judo throw or sweep take down followed up with head stomps.

Im only half way through Bak Mei but the third form Sam Mor Kuen is meant for moving fast changing angles against multiple attackers.

It seems White Crane likes to use angling footwork to move around the attacker with Long fist cheap shots. Bak Mei seems to try to grab and hit one guy pushing him in the line of his friends like you keep shifting angle and stance while hitting one guy and moving him to the side then you turn counter strike to a position the next attacker is moved off balance out of position to attack you right away and so on until you can escape or find a weapon.

Im trying to find video of Two man forms from every style to better understand the White Crane combos I learned years ago, does anyone have any links to 1 vs 2 man forms from the 70s or 80s?.

IMO, it's the practitioner, not the style per se.

Though if I had to assume it was style style per se..I've found the following arts to be fairly comprehensive in fighting multiple people:

Choy Li Fut (as mentioned)

Ba Gua (fighting in 8 directions does tend to make it more comprehensive)

Though not kung fu technically..Aiki-jitsu(forerunner of aikido)

Any solid tai ji lineage (whose forms are adapted to application based work)

Multiple threads

Multiple attackers
    Most Effective MA Style for Multiple Attackers?
    TCMA works against multiple attackers (vid)

There are more threads on Multiple Attackers - I'm only copying the most relevant on this here sub forum. Use the search function.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Greetings,

Best Kung fu System? RUNNING!!

mickey