Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism & MMA

Racism & MMA

Here's a topic that might arouse controversy. Let's see if we can discuss this with some civility. I'd hate to have to close this thread later.

Racists Active in Mixed Martial Arts
    By David Holthouse

Melvin "Man-o-war" Costa has a classic Nazi eagle and swastika insignia tattooed across his chest and a prison gang spider web inked on his right elbow.

Costa, 26, also is a convicted felon, self-avowed white nationalist and currently the 10th-ranked light heavyweight fighter in King of the Cage, one of the most popular semi-professional "mixed martial arts" (MMA) combat leagues in America. MMA is the fastest growing sport in the country. Television ratings for its preeminent league, the Ultimate Fighting Championship, or UFC, routinely outdraw every other sport except NFL football among men aged 18-34.

Not surprisingly, this rapidly rising blood sport is likewise wildly popular among racist skinheads and other young extremists with a thirst for violence. Many white supremacist online forums have recently established discussion groups devoted specifically to MMA; skinhead gangs across the country are raising money by hosting illegal backyard tournaments; and retired white supremacist cage fighter Mike Buell runs a major MMA training school in Arizona whose logo is a Celtic cross (often used as a white supremacist symbol) and the phrase "Hail Victory" (the German equivalent is "sieg heil").

Costa, however, is the first openly white nationalist MMA fighter to become a Top Ten-ranked competitor in a sanctioned organization like King of the Cage, which is a proving ground for up-and-coming fighters, a select few of whom go on to fame and fortune in the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

"A swastika, as far as I hold it true to my own, it stands for the purity of my people's blood," Costa told leading MMA sportswriter Sam Caplan last October. "I do believe in the purity, security, and the survival of the white race. … When I come down that [fighter entrance] ramp and people see me, they know I'm white power." Costa did clarify, however, that he considers himself a white nationalist rather than a neo-Nazi because "[a] neo-Nazi holds Hitler's beliefs to be true down to a T. I don't. I believe in Hitler's point of view as far as racial consonance but I don't believe a lot of [his] things as far as controlling the economy."

By Costa's own account, he was frequently incarcerated for burglary and assault from the time he was 15 until his most recent release from prison in March 2006. His first King of the Cage fight occurred the following April. Costa knocked out his opponent at 1:06 into the first round.

"I don't feel pain. No ****in' brain, no pain!" he said then. Over the next six months he reeled off three successive knockout victories. Southern California skinheads in full dress — boots, suspenders, bomber jackets — began showing up at King of the Cage events in droves to cheer on the Aryan warrior, whose swastika tattoo, outspoken white nationalist ideology and growing skinhead fan base presented MMA promoters with a public relations dilemma.

Last Oct. 18, shortly after Costa's comments and pictures of his tattoos were republished widely on MMA fan websites, Gary Shaw, the live events president of the parent company that owns King of the Cage, issued this statement: "I try not to allow anyone to fight in the cage or the ring that has anything inappropriate either on their gear or tattooed permanently on their body. And that means either ethnic, or racial, or anything offensive to the general public. I was unaware of the situation but I'm in the process of handling it now. Hopefully, it will never happen again."

But it did, less than two months later. Costa fought in a King of the Cage event held last Dec. 18. For the first time, though, he lost. Davis, for his part, did not return two E-mails seeking clarification on his league's regulation of fighters with "inappropriate" tattoos.

Judging by online forum discussions, Costa's growing legions of white supremacist fans seemed far less concerned with his swastika or spider web tattoos than a third tattoo, circling his navel, that boasts, "I have a small *****." The common theory is that, as one fan said, "He might be going for a bit of sarcasm, depending on the actual size of his *****, given the false stereotype about us."

Be that as it may, Costa says, "At least God blessed me with a strong jaw and a big head."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Everyone has a right to be a fighter, if they want to and can pass the physical.
    He can't be denied that right because he is an ignorant a-hole.
    The type of personalities that fall into the "wannabe warriors" syndrome that effects MMA will love this guy or hate him, those more enlightened will realize how little he matters or how little the sport matters in this context.
    Fans of most sports tend to be "wannabes", its not just MMA.
    MMA may SEEM to attract these people, with their tattoos and their piercings and their small ****s, but the fact is they are everywhere, in pro Wrestling, in Boxing, in Hockey, in Football and even in soccer.
    My sister-in-law has a BF that loves MMA, he loves for the UFC, he will leave a family gathering to go watch it, he talkes about how tough he is and how he beats people up, blah, blah, blah, does he compete?
    No.
    Does he belong to a gym?
    No.
    Does he train?
    No.
    Is he a typical wannabe?
    Yes.
    Is he a typical fan?
    I don't know...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Racism is everywhere. I live in a country where it is all out in the open (from both sides).

If a guy is a good fighter, and he sticks to the rules, fights clean and with the right compassion (not breaking the guy’s arm after he tapped out etc), he has just as much right to be in the ring as anyone else.

While his ideas about the purity of his bloodline may offend others, he still has the right to live and to compete. There are always someone who will be offended by another person’s conduct, clothes, hair style or whatever.

I’ve seen fights with some Hardcore leftist extremist where the fighters come up against a black fighter (for example), only to have the white guy being humbled by the skill of his black opponent. Theres a certain type of respect one has after being defeated.

Trust me, this sort of thing happens down here every single day. Im sure the problem isn’t as big as most people make it out to be. Though there is never any excuse for this type of thing, its part of life. Its MMA, not point sparring. You are going to attract some real bad azzes.

Just accept it and deal with it.

Nothing worse than people who always cry rasism when ever things arent going their way. Its old and tired.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Racism is everywhere. I live in a country where it is all out in the open (from both sides).
    I’ve seen fights with some Hardcore leftist extremist....
    It's "nice" to see that your Leftists (racists) are the same as ours... no matter how hard they try to sell themselves as being other than that.

Nothing worse than people who always cry rasism when ever things arent going their way. Its old and tired.
    I'm sure that it is.... I feel that way about it.
    But, if someone happens to be running into it all the time, and it's actually detrimental to their living a decent life, I think they've got a real complaint.

I agree they have a real complaint, and probably valid on all accounts. Just, in the same way that they will allow lets say a Jew, a Black guy, a greek, a German or just about anyone else to compete, so they have to let a racist compete.

My point simply is, we cannot change those guys. But imagine the dissapointment and disgrace to him when he fights a black man and looses.

Trust me, these things have a way of sorting themselves out. Being politically correct only helps with the show.

In the morning I go to gym at the local health club. Theres thi sone elderly black man who always wear the same tshirt from one specific political party. Their slogan (printed on the back of the shirt) says " Kill the Boer" (boer refering to the White Afrikaans - Dutch- people of which I'm one). I've seen many white afrikaans people walking past the guy, slapping him on the shoulder and say ' howsit boet' (how are you my brother - a polite and informal way of greeting in SA). Them ignoring his blatand racist slogans on his shirt probably cooled the situation down and effectively rendered his poltical propaganda as worthless.

If we dont take offence to their slander, they have nothing on us.

Neo Nazi's and who ever else are only big in their own worlds.
    得 心 應 手

.... Neo Nazi's and who ever else are only big in their own minds.
    "Fixed that for ya..."

He has the right to compete just like anyone else. however, it was be funny as hell to match him up against black and hispanic guys that all beat him. I wonder what it would do to his pride.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Boxing does not have clean hands either. Some good boxers were introduced to boxing in prison. Ron Lyle is one of the more famous ex-convicts to enter boxing.

Until 1975 Muhammad Ali was part of the Nation of Islam, a racist organization.

I won't give his name, but there was a fighter I met a few times backstage at fights who had SS lightning bolts tattooed on himself. He later covered it up.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

I agree they have a real complaint, and probably valid on all accounts. Just, in the same way that they will allow lets say a Jew, a Black guy, a greek, a German or just about anyone else to compete, so they have to let a racist compete.

My point simply is, we cannot change those guys. But imagine the dissapointment and disgrace to him when he fights a black man and looses.

Trust me, these things have a way of sorting themselves out. Being politically correct only helps with the show.

In the morning I go to gym at the local health club. Theres thi sone elderly black man who always wear the same tshirt from one specific political party. Their slogan (printed on the back of the shirt) says " Kill the Boer" (boer refering to the White Afrikaans - Dutch- people of which I'm one). I've seen many white afrikaans people walking past the guy, slapping him on the shoulder and say ' howsit boet' (how are you my brother - a polite and informal way of greeting in SA). Them ignoring his blatand racist slogans on his shirt probably cooled the situation down and effectively rendered his poltical propaganda as worthless.

If we dont take offence to their slander, they have nothing on us.

Neo Nazi's and who ever else are only big in their own worlds.
    there's an old saying that all the comedians and black people say that the most racist person(s) in the world are old black men. it looks like that holds true even in the mother land.lol

i think we all just need to keep ****ing each other till we become one color. but then we'll find something else to hate about each other. its sad really. i mean even amongst blacks there is heavy racism if your of a darker skin tone black people treat you worst then any white racist could dream off.
    Last edited by doug maverick; 03-10-2008 at 11:14 PM.

I dont see racism as a colour thing only. Down here, even amongst different tribes from the same colour people HATE each other. Even yesterday i was told by one person (who is from one tribe) that the people from another tribe are not human. I asked this lady how could she be so blatendly racist, and she simply said " its not racism, its simply the truth".

But 7star, Ive seen that hapen so many times. Big bad racists who get beaten by a black man with ten times more skill and endurance than him.

Im going to make a racist comment now tho.

I think that black fighters usually have more endurance than white fighters. Mental and physical. Theres this real thing called African stubborness that is all to real. Black guys can probably take a little more than your avarage white dude.

i know this is a gross generalisation, but its something I can say from lots and lots of experience. Maybe its a physiological thing.
    得 心 應 手

thats actually not racist. it's partially true, has to do with the way black absorb proteins in there body. read a book called black superman, which goes into detail about this. it was written by this swedish doctor i forget his name. but it was an interesting read.

If you two are refering to the genetic potential differences between races, it seems to be a by product of environment as much as the genes.

Kenyan distance runners for example, great runners because of the altitude training as well as the genes.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

racism in south africa? i find that hard to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    If you two are refering to the genetic potential differences between races, it seems to be a by product of environment as much as the genes.

Kenyan distance runners for example, great runners because of the altitude training as well as the genes.
    also they are great runners bc they train for years barefoot and as a result learn nearly perfect form to avoid injury and to maintain efficiency. whereas runners from richer nations tend to have shoes that allow for poor form (i.e. heel striking and up right posture) due to artificial support and cushioning. either way it is environmental. there has been a point made in the US that after a few generations of selective breeding of slaves (to maintain the strongest and healthiest) that the african american decendantss tend to be more physically fit and better at athletics. now i personally don't know if this belief holds water. i don't think its necessarily true but at the same time i don't know. i personally tend to lean more towards the environmental factors when issues of race come in and less on the biological/evolutionary factors. but both play a part.

as for the racism in MMA. i am ambivalent. if i came to work wearing a, lets say tie, with swastikas on it i can expect to be fired. it creates a hostile working environment. this guy is doing pretty much the same thing. however, a hostile working environment is not necessarily a bad thing in his line of work. so is his behavior necessarily contrary to the mission or corporate culture that MMA has created? i don't think so. plus the 1st amendment protects guys like this just like it would protect me when i say these ppl are douchebags. so is my first amendment right worth more than his just bc his opinions are unfavorable to the majority of the population and my assessment of his douchbaggery is coorect? no. so while i see the PR nightmare it creates and potential for violence that occurs when this fighter loses to a black guy and his skin friends beat up a black dude in the parking lot (or some such thing). i have to side with the consitution. so morally i think its wrong but legally he is within his rights.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Here's a topic that might arouse controversy. Let's see if we can discuss this with some civility. I'd hate to have to close this thread later.
    its a free country say and believe what you want. Just keep it respectful in and around the cage/ring. Watch your back when you go to the parking lot.