Thread: Celebrities studying Tai Chi?

Celebrities studying Tai Chi?

Tom Chi! Tom Brady Practices Martial Arts in China
    BY DAVE QUINN•@NINEDAVES

POSTED ON JUNE 20, 2017 AT 9:14AM EDT

TOM BRADY/INSTAGRAM

Tom Brady may be one of the greatest quarterbacks in the history of the game, with five Super Bowl wins among his many accomplishments.

But the 39-year-old athlete doesn’t just stick to the pigskin.

During a visit to China, Brady took in what appeared to be the martial art of Tai Chi — posting a shot of his workout to Instagram.

“The sound of silence” he captioned the shot, tagging the Beats by Dre headphones he was wearing.

Known for its defense training and health benefits, Tai Chi is said to promote inner peace and alleviate stress and anxiety, and is often used as a form of meditation in motion.
    I'm going to launch a Celebrities studying Tai Chi? thread with this and back-copy anything I can find from our Celebrities studying martial arts? thread later.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Stephen and Seth Curry Tai Chi

Here's an embedded video on NBA.com:

Stephen and Seth Curry Tai Chi
    Steph and Seth take part in Tai Chi on their recent stop in Hangzhou, China on their Asia tour. Special thanks to Warriors.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bill Walton

Bill Walton Crushes Some Tai Chi In China, Apologizes “On Behalf Of The Human Race” For UCLA Players Stealing
    DAN CRAWFORD
    |NOV 11, 2017 9:37 AM

Arash Markazi

@ArashMarkazi

Bill Walton is a worldwide treasure.
    5:04 PM - Nov 10, 2017
    1 1 Reply 29 29 Retweets 148 148 likes
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    College basketball returned last night with a couple of games on ESPN – one played in Germany on an Air Force base and one played in China. You may have heard some news this week from one of the team’s out there in the far east.

But I’m not here to talk about the games. The only reason college basketball even remotely matters in November is because we are blessed with the return of Bill Walton. From April-November he essentially disappears off the grid to do God knows what, but I can guess there’s marijuana involved. Then November rolls around and he’s back in our lives giving us nonstop entertainment for ****ty late-night Pac-12 games.

So Bill has been in China this week, which you know has been a total adventure, and yesterday threw on his tie-dye and crushed some Tai Chi with the locals.

Arash Markazi

@ArashMarkazi
    Bill Walton doing tai chi in China is as amazing as you’d expect it to be.
    4:55 PM - Nov 10, 2017 · People's Republic of China
    29 29 Replies 413 413 Retweets 1,161 1,161 likes
    Then he made sure to apologize for the UCLA players’ actions
    “On behalf of the human race”.

Omar Moore
    @popcornreel
    In China: Bill Walton, please. “I wanna apologize on behalf of the human race” for the wrong that #UCLA kids like LiAngelo Ball did?? No condoning their actions - or Bill’s grandstanding.
    8:40 PM - Nov 10, 2017
    2 2 Replies 5 5 Retweets 13 13 likes
    So good to have Walton back.
    As an old deadhead, it does my heart good to see Bill rocking tiedye in PRC.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Fabian Delph

SOCCER PLANET FUTBOL

Man City Star Reveals How Tai Chi and Vegan Diet Switch Have Helped Him Regain Form
    By 90MIN May 20, 2018

Fabian Delph has revealed lifestyle changes in the form of Tai Chi and a vegan diet have been key to his revival with Manchester City and England.

The 28-year-old midfielder come left back has revitalised his career this season after putting his injury woes behind him and focusing on creating a positive mindset, a shift which has helped him play a key role in City lifting the Premier League title and confirming his place in England's 23-man World Cup squad.

Michael Regan/GettyImages

It was not initially all smooth sailing, however, as upon Pep Guardiola's arrival at the Etihad Stadium Delph's future was thrown into question as he did not immediately look to fill the mould of a player the Spaniard would often look to.

Yet, 29 appearances across all competitions this season has seen the former Aston Villa man shine, and he credits mindfulness exercises and a vegan diet as key to his well-being.

“I’ve had a lot of injuries and a lot of setbacks, starting with a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament, lateral meniscus tear and medial ligament damage,” Delph is quoted as saying in the book, Soccology: Inside The Hearts And Minds Of The Professionals On The Pitch, via the Mirror.

AJS
    @ajs_ajsblue1
    It is no surprise IF Fabian Delph gets a call up to England’s WC squad. He was a crucial contributor in the PL’s greatest ever team breaking records, and creating history.

11:14 AM - May 15, 2018
    1 1 Reply 1 1 Retweet 27 27 likes
    “At that point, I heard people saying my *career was over or my *performances would not be as good.

“Not *being in the team and only *being *spoken about in terms of my injury was hard. Being injured massively affected my mental state — self-doubt crept in. "

"I began to question whether I would ever play again and, if I were to play again, whether my performances would be as good. When I began to train again, it took a while for me to adjust to my body’s changes as a result of the injury, find my confidence and get over my fear of breaking down.

Shaun Botterill/GettyImages

“I decided to ignore my doubts and began to look at my body objectively, as if it were detached from me.

“I studied its weak parts, researched my injuries, began to strengthen my body and moved from rehab into pre-hab. I carried out mindfulness exercises like the moving meditation of Tai Chi. I changed the fuel I put into my body and switched to a vegan diet.”
    THREADS
    Vegan/Vegetarian
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

Zombie Tai Chi. That makes a lot of sense.

THE BMD INTERVIEW
    THE DEAD DON’T DIE’s Adam Driver And Chloë Sevigny On Jarmusch And Zombies

And joyriding with Bill Murray, of course.
    By MICHAEL GINGOLD Jun. 12, 2019

In Jim Jarmusch’s The Dead Don’t Die, Adam Driver and Chloë Sevigny play Deputy Ronnie Peterson and Officer Mindy Morrison, cops in the small town of Centerville (apparently in rural Pennsylvania) dealing with a mysterious zombie invasion. Both take the threat very seriously—Ronnie continuously intones that the day will not end well, and Mindy becomes increasingly panicked—though the film’s overall tone is one of deadpan amusement. And the two actors recall that they couldn’t entirely take the ghouls seriously off-camera.

“It was always comedy when we weren’t shooting,” Driver says, “because you’d see these zombies doing very pedestrian things, like asking PAs where the bathroom is. There was also a moment when they were doing tai chi; Jim sent me a video of that.”

“There was the one on the street,” Sevigny says, “where Adam chops his head off, and he bumps into the car and hits the ground. He came up to me afterward, and it turned out we have all these mutual friends in common because he was an ex-professional skateboarder who went into stunts. I was like, ‘Whoa, really? What do you look like without all this gack on?’ That makes so much sense, because a big part of skateboarding is learning how to fall.”

“There was a scene where they were surrounding the car that was actually pretty creepy,” Driver adds. “Being in the car with all these zombies approaching was all very funny until they came close, and then it got rather worrisome.”

The Dead Don’t Die, which Focus Features releases Friday, is an absurdist entry in the strain of zombie movies that carry social commentary in the midst of the flesheating. According to Driver, who previously starred in Jarmusch’s Paterson, the filmmaker has been carrying the idea around for a while. “Even before Jim wrote this movie, he would always make jokes about people being phone zombies, kind of lumbering around New York with their heads down, just somewhere else and not paying attention to the world around them. So this film uses the metaphor of people being addicted to things like Wifi and addiction in general, and how we’ve surrounded ourselves with things that force us to be introspective as opposed to being aware of what’s around us.”

In the film, Driver and Sevigny share the aforementioned cop car, plus several scenes at the Centerville police station, with Bill Murray, playing Chief Cliff Robertson. The duo recall that Murray always kept things interesting during the shoot—often playing music between setups (“Sometimes it was appropriate, sometimes it wasn’t,” Sevigny says) and, at one point, taking the three of them out for a spin in that cruiser when rain delayed filming.

“He was like, ‘Do you want to go for a ride?’ ” Driver explains, “and we said, ‘Yeah.’ As we were driving, we realized we didn’t have any money or phones and we were running low on gas, and then we found a farmer’s stand. We went in and got groceries with no money—Bill said he would come back and pay for them—and then we found our way back to set and started shooting [laughs]. We were already under pressure because we didn’t have time to spare anyway, but nobody said anything to us about it. Everyone sort of pretended it didn’t happen.”

“I was afraid we were going to get in a lot of trouble when we got back to set,” Sevigny continues. “Apparently they were furious, they just didn’t express it. And isn’t it illegal to go around dressed as a cop? I was a little concerned about that too.”

“I believed we were kind of safe,” Driver replies. “I don’t know why, because we had fake guns and everything, and he turned on the lights when we pulled into the place.”

“I feel like Bill could get away with anything; he’s a charmer,” adds Sevigny, who says that no one in the farm stand was starstruck when the trio walked in the door. “Bill had been in there prior, so they already knew him—they’d experienced The Bill Show [laughs]. They had already watched that program. It was very low-key and cool.”

“They were like, ‘Take some apples, take some muffins,’ and that was it,” Driver says.

In general, shooting in the tiny upstate New York town of Fleischmanns was a positive experience for both the Dead Don’t Die team and the local residents. “The townspeople embraced us,” Sevigny says, “and there were a lot of fans of Jim and Bill around, and having a sense of the community that wasn’t hating us was kind of nice [laughs]! Usually when a film production descends on an area, there’s a lot of eye-rolling, but they seemed down with it, and it was very cool to be welcomed by them.”

That negativity, she points out, tends to happen more often in more heavily populated areas, like her hometown of New York City. “There’s a lot of production paying people off because they’ve got the generators and the idling and lights and all of that. I used to live on 10th Street by St. Mark’s Church, and they always shot on that block. I remember one time lying in bed, and hearing ‘Places!’ or ‘Back to one!’ And I woke up like, ‘What? Where am I? Am I expected on set?’ [Laughs] Because they were literally right outside my window!”

Driver, Sevigny, and Murray head up a formidable ensemble for an indie zombie opus in The Dead Don’t Die; there’s someone in the cast for every film fan, and Driver and Sevigny recall being particularly excited about meeting Danny Glover (playing hardware store owner Hank Thompson) and Carol Kane (as soon-to-revive corpse Mallory), respectively. And then there was the awesome Tilda Swinton in a part Jarmusch wrote especially for her: Zelda Winston, a samurai mortician who can hold her own against the marauding undead. “She’s just like she is in the movie: She’s an otherworldly creature, and we’re just sort of basking in her glow,” Sevigny laughs. “Watching her and Jim riff, you could tell how much they were enjoying what she was getting to play with. Seeing her do multiple takes and tweaking things, it was clear she really loves what she does.”

Although all the actors were able to bring their own takes to the material, there wasn’t a great deal of on-set improv, at least where the movie’s police force was concerned. “We were shooting digital,” Sevigny points out, “so sometimes Jim would just keep rolling at the end, and there were moments when Bill and Adam got to add stuff, especially when we were in the car, and also a couple of times in the police station.”

“But not a lot,” Driver says, “nor did we really want to. I felt it wasn’t necessary, because the script was very funny as it was. There were times when Jim felt we had a good rhythm and he would just let us go, but the script was so good, there wasn’t really much to add. Not that if you improv, it means that the script is bad, but…”

The Dead Don’t Die represents Driver’s first venture into the horror genre, while Sevigny has previously appeared in Mary Harron’s American Psycho, Danny Perez’s Antibirth, and Douglas Buck’s remake of Brian De Palma’s Sisters. And speaking of De Palma, she’s enough of a horror fan to have taken offense when one of his classics wasn’t shown its due respect. “I went to see Carrie at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery in Los Angeles,” she remembers. “I’d been to see other films there and loved it, and I guess I didn’t realize that Carrie had become a camp classic. People were mocking it, screaming at the screen and laughing, and I got so upset that I had to leave. To me, that movie is so emotional, and I was like, ‘I can’t stand how they’re responding to this!’ ”

In closing, the inevitable question comes up when discussing a film like The Dead Don’t Die: How do its actors think they’d fare if the undead took over? “I think I’d fare pretty well, actually,” Sevigny states. “I’m secretly athletic, and I know some survival skills.”

“I believe I’d find my calling in a zombie apocalypse,” Driver says. “Also because they traditionally move slowly—at least they do in ours—so it seems like that would be an advantage.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ng Man Tat

Comedy Icon Ng Man Tat No Longer Looks Frail And Sickly Thanks To Tai Chi
    By*ILSA CHAN

Ng Man Tat
    Now he wants everyone to get fit with [him] .
    Published15 AUGUST, 2020 UPDATED 21 AUGUST, 2020

Now he wants everyone to get fit with [him] .

After years of being plagued with health problems, veteran Hongkong comedian Ng Man Tat seems to have turned his life around.

Earlier in the week, the actor, who is best known for being Stephen Chow’s sidekick in the auteur's slapstick comedy classics, took to social media to share a short clip of himself practising tai chi. Along with the clip, he wrote: “Get fit with me. Everyone can become a master.”

Meet "Master Ng"
    Dressed in a white singlet and black pants, “Master Ng” not only appeared energetic and in good spirits, but also looked fitter and healthier than he has in years.

He also dyed his hair black, which made him look younger than his 67 years.

Man Tat has come a long way health-wise
    This is a far cry from how he looked a year ago when he was photographed looking frail and reportedly needed help walking.

Man Tat looking frail just last year
    The comedian’s health struggles started in 2000 when he was diagnosed with diabetes, and almost had to amputate one of his legs.

In 2014, he was diagnosed with heart failure after a viral infection, and this spurred him to change his lifestyle. Despite his efforts, he revealed in 2015 that he could only recover 50 per cent of his heart’s function.

Last year, those photos of Man Tat looking frail also sparked concern about his health.

Man Tat at a promotional event for 2019 Chinese sci-fi flick The Wandering Earth
    Photos: Weibo
    Read more at https://www.8days.sg/sceneandheard/e...hanks-13020638
    Threads
    The-Wandering-Earth
    Celebrities-studying-Tai-Chi

I know it says Tai Chi but the pix look more like the Brocade.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Iggy Pop and Lou Reed.
    Can't get much cooler than that.

So cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tea Serpent View Post
    Iggy Pop and Lou Reed.
    Can't get much cooler than that.
    We know about Iggy - he's on our original Celebrities studying martial arts thread. I've been hoping to connect with him about his practice for years.

And we really know about Lou. He was on our cover twice Sep+Oct 07 & May+June 07. He came to our 10th Anniversary Gala and wore our shirt for Entertainment Weekly's fashion issue. Lou was very gracious to us, got us tickets and backstage passes to his shows whenever he was in town, and was a great friend.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    We know about Iggy - he's on our original Celebrities studying martial arts thread. I've been hoping to connect with him about his practice for years.
    In you do connect with him, ask if his practice is somehow connected with his China Girl song that David Bowie turned into a big hit...

Naomi Campbell

Naomi Campbell Found This Meditative Workout to Be Surprisingly Hard

Naomi Campbell has always been one to look for variety in her workouts. You'll find her crushing high-intensity TRX training and boxing in one sweat sesh and low-impact resistance band exercises in the next. But she recently found a passion for a more meditative form of exercise: Tai Chi.

Provided by Shape Ian West/PA Images via Getty Images
    In the latest episode of her weekly YouTube series No Filter with Naomi, the supermodel chatted with Gwyneth Paltrow about all things health and wellness, including what their fitness routines have looked like lately.

Similar to Campbell, the Goop guru said she likes to mix things up in her workout routine. Paltrow said her main goal with fitness these days is to "process things" mentally as she moves, whether that's through yoga, walking, hiking, or even dancing. "[Exericse is] part of my mental and spiritual wellness as much as my physical wellness," she told Campbell. (FYI: Here's why you might not want to do the same workout every day.)

Campbell seems to share a similar philosophy on the connection between mental and physical health. She told Paltrow that she recently got into Tai Chi — a practice that's all about harnessing your spiritual and mental energy — after a 2019 trip to Hangzhou, China.

During the trip, Campbell explained, she couldn't sleep due to "terrible jet lag" and soon found herself waking up early to go to a nearby park where women were practicing Tai Chi. The fashion icon said she decided to join in, even though she'd never tried the martial arts practice before.

"I know I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm gonna just go and move with them," she recalled. "I see these women have such vitality, and they're older women. I wanna get out there and get some of what they've got going."

"I really enjoyed Tai Chi," added Campbell. "I thought it was gonna be easy, but it's so disciplined. You've got to hold everything, it's got to be slow-moving. But I loved it — mentally, I loved it." (Here are some other martial arts practices to add to your fitness routine.)

Video player from: YouTube (Privacy Policy, Terms)
    In case you're not that familiar with Tai Chi, the centuries-old practice is all about connecting your movement to your mind. And while it might not look as intense as your typical HIIT sesh at first glance, you'll quickly see why Campbell found it surprisingly challenging.

In Tai Chi, "you're really paying attention to how the pieces of your body connect efficiently," Peter Wayne, Ph.D., director of the Tree of Life Tai Chi Center and associate professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School, previously told Shape. "In that sense, it's a nice addition to other exercises, because that awareness may prevent injury."

Though there are several different styles of Tai Chi, in a typical U.S.-based class, you'll likely go through long, slow sequences of movement, working on balance and strength as you harness your internal energy and remain focused on your breath.

Research suggests that a regular Tai Chi practice can not only provide psychological benefits — including a reduction in stress, anxiety, and depression — but that it's also great for bone health and can even help reduce osteoarthritis pain. (Yoga has some major bone-boosting benefits, too.)

Even if you don't get to practice Tai Chi with a group of strangers in a park anytime soon, both Campbell and Paltrow are all about treading unfamiliar territory when it comes to fitness — which is an especially important mindset to have in an era of working out in your living room.

"The most important lesson there is just to know yourself and know what you're capable of and not," said Paltrow. "If you wanna do different things, you should just explore whatever, as long as you're feeling like you're doing something that's working for you."
    Threads
    Gwyneth-amp-Goop
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kobe Bryant

“He had a Tai Chi master come to practice once”: Kobe Bryant reveals the weirdest thing Phil Jackson made him do during practice
    ARJUN JULKA
    14/05/2022

"He had a Tai Chi master come to practice once": Kobe Bryant reveals the weirdest thing Phil Jackson made him do during practice
    Veteran coach Phil Jackson had Kobe Bryant ****ed and confused with a Tai Chi master present at a basketball practice session.

One of the greatest basketball minds, Phil Jackson, holds the record for the most no. of NBA championships as head coach, with eleven rings. A top-15 coach of all-time, Phil is the architect behind two of the most successful dynasties in the Bulls and Lakers.

The Hall of Famer knew what it took to win on the grandest stage of them all, having coached the likes of Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and Shaquille O’Neal. It’s no secret that Phil was a big believer in spirituality, popularly called Zen Master.

Mr. Eleven Rings not only trained his players on the physical aspects of the game but also prepped them mentally for pressure situations. However, many felt Phil went overboard at times, one of them being none other than the Black Mamba.

Also read: “Superteam failures make us appreciate Phil Jackson more”: NBA Reddit pays its respect to former Bulls, Lakers coach for keeping it together while coaching the likes of Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant

One such occasion was when Phil invited a Tai Chi master for a session, having Kobe heated, who had laced up for a grueling session of ball.

(For those who don’t know, Tai Chi is an internal Chinese martial art practiced for defense training, health benefits, and meditation.)

Kobe Bryant would eventually realize the positive influence of Phil Jackson’s school of spirituality.

When it came to work ethic and the relentless drive to succeed, there were not many who matched the level of Kobe Bryant. The five-time champion and two-time Finals MVP was the pioneer of the Mamba Mentality. The Hall of Famer never refused to learn at any stage of his career.

While Kobe’s life lessons on practice never seize to inspire, the former Lakers guard didn’t take to spiritual well-being on the go, which is something he learned playing eleven years under Coach Phil. Kobe would once narrate how the presence of a Tai Chi master at a practice session ****ed him off.

“He had a Tai Chi master come to practice once. I walked out there, and I saw a Tai Chi master standing on center court and tell us to take our shoes off and when I took them off, I was ****ed. I was ready to play basketball and he’s standing right up there and said everybody close their eyes and do stuff like monk gazing at the moon and letting the fingertips touch and all the spirituality behind that, and I’m peaking around and thought is everyone doing this sh*t? What the hell is going on? And then big a** Phil was there doing it himself and I’m like ****.“

(3:10 mark)

Nonetheless, Kobe revealed he eventually bought into Phil’s methods of meditation, adding how it helped his team never get rattled during tense situations and stay calm.

Also read: “Phil Jackson was all about the scale”: Why Kobe Bryant held the Zen Master in such high regard despite Phil repeatedly falling out with the Black Mamba

Well, one couldn’t help but agree with Phil’s spiritual approach, having coexisted a Dennis Rodman with Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen, also managing the huge egos of Shaq-Kobe on the Lakers.
    threads
    Tai-Chi-BasketBall-Skillz
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

KINRGY & Julianne Hough

Julianne Hough's Booty Is Ultra-Toned In A Thong Swimsuit In A New IG Vid
    Women's Health
    EMILY J. SHIFFER
    September 8, 2023 at 10:59 AM

Julianne Hough Is Toned All Over Surfing In IG VidMEGA - Getty Images

"Hearst Magazines and Yahoo may earn commission or revenue on some items through these links."

Julianne Hough just dropped an Instagram video of her surfing at Kelly Slater Wave Co. Surf Ranch, and her legs and butt are mega-toned.

The actress seems to love staying active outdoors on vacation, and tries to incorporate movement even in her busiest travel days.

She also enjoys soups for lunch and an Indian dish called mung daal for dinner, plus, she's a fan of Mexican food.

Summer isn't over until Julianne Hough says so. And according to her, it's still in full swing. Why? Because she's totally living her Blue Crush dream.

The Footloose actress, 35, and her bestie, Nina Dobrev, hit up Kelly Slater Wave Co. Surf Ranch in California, and she dropped an epic video of her adventures on Instagram.

Jules showed off her strength and balance in a slew of swimsuits and thong one-piece swimsuits while riding some waves. Her legs and booty are seriously sculpted, and it's clear that she's strong all over.

"Guess I’m a surfer girl now 😎," she captioned the video. "What a surreal experience! From only attempting to surf once or twice before and starting on a soft top to switching to a hard top and carving up and down on the wave and barrelling… in just 2 days! Ahh, it was insane, and such a good feeling to accomplish and try something new ☀️💛."

It's no surprise that Julianne crushed those waves after just two days. After all, she usually stays active outdoors with others while on vacation—which is probably why she's so strong and toned.

Exhibit A: She recently shared pics and videos from a women's retreat where she spent time kayaking, hiking, and doing outdoor yoga.

"I love being around people and community," Julianne previously told Women's Health of her fitness habits.

Even with her busy travel sched, Julianne still makes exercise a priority. She also shared some of her go-to moves when she travels on Instagram.

"Even when I’m on the go, I always find time to move my body 💪🏻," she wrote.

The workout circuit—which Julianne does with ankle weights—includes:

10 donkey kicks (each leg)

10 fire hydrants with angled kickback (each leg)

10 angled kickback pulses (each leg)

20 hip thrusts

10 single leg hip thrusts per side

10 bicycle crunches

10 scissor kicks

10 straight leg bicycle crunches per side.

Jules also loves to do aerial yoga:

Plus, the Safe Haven actress started her own fitness platform, KINRGY, which include 45-minute "high sensory activated dance method" workouts that are a mix of tai chi, cardio, strength training, qigong, and energy work.

"It gives permission to be fully expressed for your own unique version of who you are, that there is no right or wrong way to do anything. There is no perfection, it's about expression," Julianne shared with Women's Health.
    Celebrities-studying-qigong
    New-Hybrids
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ozzy!

OZZY OSBOURNE Says He Will Try Tai Chi To Improve His Balance And Mobility
    October 3, 2023

In the newly released fourth episode of the revived "The Osbournes" podcast, Ozzy Osbourne revealed that he will try tai chi as a way to boost his health. The legendary BLACK SABBATH singer has Parkinson's disease and previously suffered a nasty fall and dislodged metal rods placed in his spine following a quad-bike accident in 2003

Regarding his decision to give tai chi a shot, Ozzy said: "It's good for balance. It's a new adventure."

The 74-year-old, who has been struggling with his mobility after his 2019 fall that aggravated a decade-old spine injury and his 2020 Parkinson's disease diagnosis, added: "I wanna get back. All options are open for me now."

Tai chi is a centuries-old Chinese martial art that is often described as "meditation in motion." The low-impact, slow-motion exercise includes a series of motions named for animal actions or martial arts moves. They typically combine slow movements with breathing patterns and mental focus and relaxation. Movements may be done while walking, standing, or sitting.

This past July, Ozzy canceled his appearance at the upcoming Power Trip festival due to his ongoing health issues.

Ozzy's health issues, including catching COVID-19 a year and a half ago, forced him to cancel some of his previously announced tours.

While Osbourne's health issues forced him to scrap most of his live appearances, the musician said he would return if his condition improved.

This past April, Ozzy was photographed walking without his cane in Los Angeles. According to Page Six, he looked unbalanced as he walked alongside his carer, who picked up flowers during their daytime stroll around the neighborhood and held them out for Osbourne to take a whiff.

Osbourne's previously announced European tour with guests JUDAS PRIEST, originally set for 2019 and then rescheduled three times, was officially canceled in early February.

Despite his health problems, Osbourne has performed a couple of times in recent months, including at the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham in August 2022 and at the NFL halftime show at the season opener Los Angeles Rams and Buffalo Bills game in September 2022.

I'm blessed that I got to see Ozzy perform several times.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

RIP Rosalynn Carter

Rosalynn Carter, Ultimate Southern Grandma, Once Made Pimiento Cheese Sandwiches On A Plane
    Grandson Jason recalled the hilarious moment in this afternoon’s memorial service.

By Meghan Overdeep Published on November 28, 2023

PHOTO: CORBIS/CORBIS VIA GETTY IMAGES

Rosalynn Carter’s grandson, Jason, shared some of his favorite memories of his late grandmother during a memorial service for the former first lady Tuesday afternoon in Atlanta.

Instead of reflecting on her numerous social and political accomplishments, Jason, 48, chose to remember Rosalynn as he saw her: a humble, Southern grandma.

“She was my grandmother first,” he said. “And she was like everybody else's grandmother in a lot of ways. Almost all of her recipes call for mayonnaise, for example. We all got cards from her on our birthdays with a $20 bill in it.”

“She was so down to earth, y'all, it was amazing,” Jason continued as the crowd’s laughter subsided.

He went on to share one of the stories he and his family have found themselves retelling in the week since the matriarch’s death.

“We were on a family trip and we were on a flight—on Delta, from here to somewhere—and we were all sitting in the back of the airplane together,” Jason recalled. “The plane took off and we looked over and my grandmother took out this Tupperware of pimiento cheese and this loaf of bread and she just started making sandwiches. She gave them to all of us grandkids and then she started giving them to other people on the plane.”

"And people were just sitting there like 'Rosalynn Carter just made me this sandwich!' You know? They couldn't believe it,” he continued. “But she loved people. And she was a cool grandma. She was cool, like she did tai chi with a sword.

Rosalynn died at home in Plains, Georgia, at the age of 96 on Sunday, November 19. “She died peacefully, with family by her side,” according to The Carter Center.

In addition to her husband, President Jimmy Carter, the former first lady is survived by their children—Jack, Chip, Jeff, and Amy—and 11 grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren.

Jimmy, 99, who entered hospice care in February, made a rare public appearance at this afternoon’s memorial service for his wife of 77 years.

“I think he was proud and happy that he was there for her ’til the very end, and he wasn’t going to miss this for anything,” Jason told The New York Times ahead of the service.

A private funeral service for family and invited friends is set to take place Wednesday morning at the couple’s beloved Maranatha Baptist Church in Plains.

You can find a full schedule at rosalynncartertribute.org.
    I would love to see a photo of this.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

He's two months in...

Wonder what style he's doing?

Ozzy Osbourne Says He's Been Working Out Every Day: 'Trying to Get Back on My Feet'
    The 74-year-old rock icon previously said he started tai chi to help with symptoms of Parkinson’s disease

By Vanessa Etienne Published on December 19, 2023 03:48PM EST

Ozzy Osbourne. PHOTO: KEVIN WINTER/GETTY

Ozzy Osbourne is staying on top of his fitness.

During the latest episode of The Osbournes Podcast, the 74-year-old rock icon shared that he’s been hitting the gym every day, which is why he’s been very tired lately.

“Dad’s been really working out in the gym,” Kelly boasted.

“Are you on the gains train to Swole-ville?” Jack, 37, quipped before asking his father how much he’s been working out.

“I’ve been working out every day,” the "Crazy Train" singer said. “I’m trying to get back on my feet.”

In October, on another episode of the family’s podcast, Ozzy shared that he recently started tai chi to help with symptoms of Parkinson’s disease, which he was diagnosed with in 2003.

“I’m going to try and do [tai chi], it's good for balance,” Ozzy told his family on the show.

“Oh my God, this is the best news I have heard in so long,” responded Kelly. “Jack, do you realize that they say that it's the No. 1 thing to help with mobility and Parkinson’s, is tai chi?”

“Yeah, I believe it, it's low impact,” Jack said before Kelly added, “And we’ve been trying to get Dad to do it for [ages].”

“It's the balance that helps me,” Ozzy explained. “Well, I want to get back, you know, and all the options are open for me,” he later said.

The following week, the former Black Sabbath star’s family said he already seems to be making progress since starting tai chi.

“I’ve only had two lessons so I’m not really a master yet. But I’m finally relaxing,” Ozzy added.
    Woah... two whole lessons...

More on Ozzy
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips