Thread: Celebrities studying Tai Chi?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    We know about Iggy - he's on our original Celebrities studying martial arts thread. I've been hoping to connect with him about his practice for years.
    In you do connect with him, ask if his practice is somehow connected with his China Girl song that David Bowie turned into a big hit...

Naomi Campbell

Naomi Campbell Found This Meditative Workout to Be Surprisingly Hard

Naomi Campbell has always been one to look for variety in her workouts. You'll find her crushing high-intensity TRX training and boxing in one sweat sesh and low-impact resistance band exercises in the next. But she recently found a passion for a more meditative form of exercise: Tai Chi.

Provided by Shape Ian West/PA Images via Getty Images
    In the latest episode of her weekly YouTube series No Filter with Naomi, the supermodel chatted with Gwyneth Paltrow about all things health and wellness, including what their fitness routines have looked like lately.

Similar to Campbell, the Goop guru said she likes to mix things up in her workout routine. Paltrow said her main goal with fitness these days is to "process things" mentally as she moves, whether that's through yoga, walking, hiking, or even dancing. "[Exericse is] part of my mental and spiritual wellness as much as my physical wellness," she told Campbell. (FYI: Here's why you might not want to do the same workout every day.)

Campbell seems to share a similar philosophy on the connection between mental and physical health. She told Paltrow that she recently got into Tai Chi — a practice that's all about harnessing your spiritual and mental energy — after a 2019 trip to Hangzhou, China.

During the trip, Campbell explained, she couldn't sleep due to "terrible jet lag" and soon found herself waking up early to go to a nearby park where women were practicing Tai Chi. The fashion icon said she decided to join in, even though she'd never tried the martial arts practice before.

"I know I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm gonna just go and move with them," she recalled. "I see these women have such vitality, and they're older women. I wanna get out there and get some of what they've got going."

"I really enjoyed Tai Chi," added Campbell. "I thought it was gonna be easy, but it's so disciplined. You've got to hold everything, it's got to be slow-moving. But I loved it — mentally, I loved it." (Here are some other martial arts practices to add to your fitness routine.)

Video player from: YouTube (Privacy Policy, Terms)
    In case you're not that familiar with Tai Chi, the centuries-old practice is all about connecting your movement to your mind. And while it might not look as intense as your typical HIIT sesh at first glance, you'll quickly see why Campbell found it surprisingly challenging.

In Tai Chi, "you're really paying attention to how the pieces of your body connect efficiently," Peter Wayne, Ph.D., director of the Tree of Life Tai Chi Center and associate professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School, previously told Shape. "In that sense, it's a nice addition to other exercises, because that awareness may prevent injury."

Though there are several different styles of Tai Chi, in a typical U.S.-based class, you'll likely go through long, slow sequences of movement, working on balance and strength as you harness your internal energy and remain focused on your breath.

Research suggests that a regular Tai Chi practice can not only provide psychological benefits — including a reduction in stress, anxiety, and depression — but that it's also great for bone health and can even help reduce osteoarthritis pain. (Yoga has some major bone-boosting benefits, too.)

Even if you don't get to practice Tai Chi with a group of strangers in a park anytime soon, both Campbell and Paltrow are all about treading unfamiliar territory when it comes to fitness — which is an especially important mindset to have in an era of working out in your living room.

"The most important lesson there is just to know yourself and know what you're capable of and not," said Paltrow. "If you wanna do different things, you should just explore whatever, as long as you're feeling like you're doing something that's working for you."
    Threads
    Celebrities-studying-Tai-Chi
    Gwyneth-amp-Goop
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Kobe Bryant

“He had a Tai Chi master come to practice once”: Kobe Bryant reveals the weirdest thing Phil Jackson made him do during practice
    ARJUN JULKA
    14/05/2022

"He had a Tai Chi master come to practice once": Kobe Bryant reveals the weirdest thing Phil Jackson made him do during practice
    Veteran coach Phil Jackson had Kobe Bryant ****ed and confused with a Tai Chi master present at a basketball practice session.

One of the greatest basketball minds, Phil Jackson, holds the record for the most no. of NBA championships as head coach, with eleven rings. A top-15 coach of all-time, Phil is the architect behind two of the most successful dynasties in the Bulls and Lakers.

The Hall of Famer knew what it took to win on the grandest stage of them all, having coached the likes of Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and Shaquille O’Neal. It’s no secret that Phil was a big believer in spirituality, popularly called Zen Master.

Mr. Eleven Rings not only trained his players on the physical aspects of the game but also prepped them mentally for pressure situations. However, many felt Phil went overboard at times, one of them being none other than the Black Mamba.

Also read: “Superteam failures make us appreciate Phil Jackson more”: NBA Reddit pays its respect to former Bulls, Lakers coach for keeping it together while coaching the likes of Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant

One such occasion was when Phil invited a Tai Chi master for a session, having Kobe heated, who had laced up for a grueling session of ball.

(For those who don’t know, Tai Chi is an internal Chinese martial art practiced for defense training, health benefits, and meditation.)

Kobe Bryant would eventually realize the positive influence of Phil Jackson’s school of spirituality.

When it came to work ethic and the relentless drive to succeed, there were not many who matched the level of Kobe Bryant. The five-time champion and two-time Finals MVP was the pioneer of the Mamba Mentality. The Hall of Famer never refused to learn at any stage of his career.

While Kobe’s life lessons on practice never seize to inspire, the former Lakers guard didn’t take to spiritual well-being on the go, which is something he learned playing eleven years under Coach Phil. Kobe would once narrate how the presence of a Tai Chi master at a practice session ****ed him off.

“He had a Tai Chi master come to practice once. I walked out there, and I saw a Tai Chi master standing on center court and tell us to take our shoes off and when I took them off, I was ****ed. I was ready to play basketball and he’s standing right up there and said everybody close their eyes and do stuff like monk gazing at the moon and letting the fingertips touch and all the spirituality behind that, and I’m peaking around and thought is everyone doing this sh*t? What the hell is going on? And then big a** Phil was there doing it himself and I’m like ****.“

(3:10 mark)

Nonetheless, Kobe revealed he eventually bought into Phil’s methods of meditation, adding how it helped his team never get rattled during tense situations and stay calm.

Also read: “Phil Jackson was all about the scale”: Why Kobe Bryant held the Zen Master in such high regard despite Phil repeatedly falling out with the Black Mamba

Well, one couldn’t help but agree with Phil’s spiritual approach, having coexisted a Dennis Rodman with Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen, also managing the huge egos of Shaq-Kobe on the Lakers.
    threads
    Celebrities studying Tai Chi?
    Tai-Chi-BasketBall-Skillz
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

KINRGY & Julianne Hough

Julianne Hough's Booty Is Ultra-Toned In A Thong Swimsuit In A New IG Vid
    Women's Health
    EMILY J. SHIFFER
    September 8, 2023 at 10:59 AM

Julianne Hough Is Toned All Over Surfing In IG VidMEGA - Getty Images

"Hearst Magazines and Yahoo may earn commission or revenue on some items through these links."

Julianne Hough just dropped an Instagram video of her surfing at Kelly Slater Wave Co. Surf Ranch, and her legs and butt are mega-toned.

The actress seems to love staying active outdoors on vacation, and tries to incorporate movement even in her busiest travel days.

She also enjoys soups for lunch and an Indian dish called mung daal for dinner, plus, she's a fan of Mexican food.

Summer isn't over until Julianne Hough says so. And according to her, it's still in full swing. Why? Because she's totally living her Blue Crush dream.

The Footloose actress, 35, and her bestie, Nina Dobrev, hit up Kelly Slater Wave Co. Surf Ranch in California, and she dropped an epic video of her adventures on Instagram.

Jules showed off her strength and balance in a slew of swimsuits and thong one-piece swimsuits while riding some waves. Her legs and booty are seriously sculpted, and it's clear that she's strong all over.

"Guess I’m a surfer girl now 😎," she captioned the video. "What a surreal experience! From only attempting to surf once or twice before and starting on a soft top to switching to a hard top and carving up and down on the wave and barrelling… in just 2 days! Ahh, it was insane, and such a good feeling to accomplish and try something new ☀️💛."

It's no surprise that Julianne crushed those waves after just two days. After all, she usually stays active outdoors with others while on vacation—which is probably why she's so strong and toned.

Exhibit A: She recently shared pics and videos from a women's retreat where she spent time kayaking, hiking, and doing outdoor yoga.

"I love being around people and community," Julianne previously told Women's Health of her fitness habits.

Even with her busy travel sched, Julianne still makes exercise a priority. She also shared some of her go-to moves when she travels on Instagram.

"Even when I’m on the go, I always find time to move my body 💪🏻," she wrote.

The workout circuit—which Julianne does with ankle weights—includes:

10 donkey kicks (each leg)

10 fire hydrants with angled kickback (each leg)

10 angled kickback pulses (each leg)

20 hip thrusts

10 single leg hip thrusts per side

10 bicycle crunches

10 scissor kicks

10 straight leg bicycle crunches per side.

Jules also loves to do aerial yoga:

Plus, the Safe Haven actress started her own fitness platform, KINRGY, which include 45-minute "high sensory activated dance method" workouts that are a mix of tai chi, cardio, strength training, qigong, and energy work.

"It gives permission to be fully expressed for your own unique version of who you are, that there is no right or wrong way to do anything. There is no perfection, it's about expression," Julianne shared with Women's Health.
    Celebrities-studying-Tai-Chi
    Celebrities-studying-qigong
    New-Hybrids
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ozzy!

OZZY OSBOURNE Says He Will Try Tai Chi To Improve His Balance And Mobility
    October 3, 2023

In the newly released fourth episode of the revived "The Osbournes" podcast, Ozzy Osbourne revealed that he will try tai chi as a way to boost his health. The legendary BLACK SABBATH singer has Parkinson's disease and previously suffered a nasty fall and dislodged metal rods placed in his spine following a quad-bike accident in 2003

Regarding his decision to give tai chi a shot, Ozzy said: "It's good for balance. It's a new adventure."

The 74-year-old, who has been struggling with his mobility after his 2019 fall that aggravated a decade-old spine injury and his 2020 Parkinson's disease diagnosis, added: "I wanna get back. All options are open for me now."

Tai chi is a centuries-old Chinese martial art that is often described as "meditation in motion." The low-impact, slow-motion exercise includes a series of motions named for animal actions or martial arts moves. They typically combine slow movements with breathing patterns and mental focus and relaxation. Movements may be done while walking, standing, or sitting.

This past July, Ozzy canceled his appearance at the upcoming Power Trip festival due to his ongoing health issues.

Ozzy's health issues, including catching COVID-19 a year and a half ago, forced him to cancel some of his previously announced tours.

While Osbourne's health issues forced him to scrap most of his live appearances, the musician said he would return if his condition improved.

This past April, Ozzy was photographed walking without his cane in Los Angeles. According to Page Six, he looked unbalanced as he walked alongside his carer, who picked up flowers during their daytime stroll around the neighborhood and held them out for Osbourne to take a whiff.

Osbourne's previously announced European tour with guests JUDAS PRIEST, originally set for 2019 and then rescheduled three times, was officially canceled in early February.

Despite his health problems, Osbourne has performed a couple of times in recent months, including at the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham in August 2022 and at the NFL halftime show at the season opener Los Angeles Rams and Buffalo Bills game in September 2022.

I'm blessed that I got to see Ozzy perform several times.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

RIP Rosalynn Carter

Rosalynn Carter, Ultimate Southern Grandma, Once Made Pimiento Cheese Sandwiches On A Plane
    Grandson Jason recalled the hilarious moment in this afternoon’s memorial service.

By Meghan Overdeep Published on November 28, 2023

PHOTO: CORBIS/CORBIS VIA GETTY IMAGES

Rosalynn Carter’s grandson, Jason, shared some of his favorite memories of his late grandmother during a memorial service for the former first lady Tuesday afternoon in Atlanta.

Instead of reflecting on her numerous social and political accomplishments, Jason, 48, chose to remember Rosalynn as he saw her: a humble, Southern grandma.

“She was my grandmother first,” he said. “And she was like everybody else's grandmother in a lot of ways. Almost all of her recipes call for mayonnaise, for example. We all got cards from her on our birthdays with a $20 bill in it.”

“She was so down to earth, y'all, it was amazing,” Jason continued as the crowd’s laughter subsided.

He went on to share one of the stories he and his family have found themselves retelling in the week since the matriarch’s death.

“We were on a family trip and we were on a flight—on Delta, from here to somewhere—and we were all sitting in the back of the airplane together,” Jason recalled. “The plane took off and we looked over and my grandmother took out this Tupperware of pimiento cheese and this loaf of bread and she just started making sandwiches. She gave them to all of us grandkids and then she started giving them to other people on the plane.”

"And people were just sitting there like 'Rosalynn Carter just made me this sandwich!' You know? They couldn't believe it,” he continued. “But she loved people. And she was a cool grandma. She was cool, like she did tai chi with a sword.

Rosalynn died at home in Plains, Georgia, at the age of 96 on Sunday, November 19. “She died peacefully, with family by her side,” according to The Carter Center.

In addition to her husband, President Jimmy Carter, the former first lady is survived by their children—Jack, Chip, Jeff, and Amy—and 11 grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren.

Jimmy, 99, who entered hospice care in February, made a rare public appearance at this afternoon’s memorial service for his wife of 77 years.

“I think he was proud and happy that he was there for her ’til the very end, and he wasn’t going to miss this for anything,” Jason told The New York Times ahead of the service.

A private funeral service for family and invited friends is set to take place Wednesday morning at the couple’s beloved Maranatha Baptist Church in Plains.

You can find a full schedule at rosalynncartertribute.org.
    I would love to see a photo of this.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

He's two months in...

Wonder what style he's doing?

Ozzy Osbourne Says He's Been Working Out Every Day: 'Trying to Get Back on My Feet'
    The 74-year-old rock icon previously said he started tai chi to help with symptoms of Parkinson’s disease

By Vanessa Etienne Published on December 19, 2023 03:48PM EST

Ozzy Osbourne. PHOTO: KEVIN WINTER/GETTY

Ozzy Osbourne is staying on top of his fitness.

During the latest episode of The Osbournes Podcast, the 74-year-old rock icon shared that he’s been hitting the gym every day, which is why he’s been very tired lately.

“Dad’s been really working out in the gym,” Kelly boasted.

“Are you on the gains train to Swole-ville?” Jack, 37, quipped before asking his father how much he’s been working out.

“I’ve been working out every day,” the "Crazy Train" singer said. “I’m trying to get back on my feet.”

In October, on another episode of the family’s podcast, Ozzy shared that he recently started tai chi to help with symptoms of Parkinson’s disease, which he was diagnosed with in 2003.

“I’m going to try and do [tai chi], it's good for balance,” Ozzy told his family on the show.

“Oh my God, this is the best news I have heard in so long,” responded Kelly. “Jack, do you realize that they say that it's the No. 1 thing to help with mobility and Parkinson’s, is tai chi?”

“Yeah, I believe it, it's low impact,” Jack said before Kelly added, “And we’ve been trying to get Dad to do it for [ages].”

“It's the balance that helps me,” Ozzy explained. “Well, I want to get back, you know, and all the options are open for me,” he later said.

The following week, the former Black Sabbath star’s family said he already seems to be making progress since starting tai chi.

“I’ve only had two lessons so I’m not really a master yet. But I’m finally relaxing,” Ozzy added.
    Woah... two whole lessons...

More on Ozzy
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips