Thread: Anthony Kelly - Martial Arts World Record Breaker

Anthony Kelly

See Can Kung Fu Make You a World Record Holder? by Anthony Kelly in our SEP+OCT 2010 issue.

Aussie Anthony Kelly breaks Guinness World Record for catching spears shot from speargun
    Date November 14, 2014
    Scott Parker

Anthony Kelly breaks the world record for catching spears. Photo: Supplied

Anthony Kelly is a martial arts expert with lightning fast reflexes and, for Guinness World Records Day 2014, he broke the record for catching spears from a speargun.

Record holders and potential record breakers worldwide came together on Thursday to mark the 10th anniversary of the day in 2004 when Guinness World Records became the world's best-selling copyright book, according to its website,

Mr Kelly, who assists at Armidale High School, organised the Australian leg of GWR 2014. Students and teachers from the school took part.

The world's tallest man, Sultan Kosen, meets the world's shortest man, Chandra Bahadur Dangi. Photo: AFP

"We attempted two records at Armidale High School; the first was for the most people head-banging and we succeeded in that," Mr Kelly said.

"[We had] 320 people [headbanging] to AC/DC's It's a Long Way to the Top."

The second attempt was for the most thongs thrown, which the students unfortunately missed by just 19, because half the students forgot to bring their thongs to school and some students were away on excursions.

"Any multiple record like that, you must have a minimum of 250 people participating," Mr Kelly said.

But the best effort was Mr Kelly's own record, which he set in the swimming pool at Sport UNE at the University of New England: not once, but twice.

The event involves catching the most spears shot from a speargun, from a distance of two metres, underwater in one minute.

The record stood at seven, but Mr Kelly caught first eight, then 10, spears.

Mr Kelly is a learning support officer at Armidale High, where he handles a group of children with special needs and engages them in extra-curricular physical activities..

He also teaches reaction training and kung fu classes at Duval High School.

He is not a spearfisherman himself, but his interest in the record comes from his incredible reaction ability and the difficulty of the event.

Around the world, various events took place to mark GWR 2014.

In London, the world's tallest man, Sultan Kosen, met the world's shortest man, Chandra Bahadur Dangi, for the first time, at St Thomas's Hospital.

The pair also posed for photos outside the Houses of Parliament.

Mr Kosen, 31, from Turkey, measures a staggering two metres, 51 centimetres, while Mr Bahadur Dangi , 75, from Nepal, measures just 54.6 centimetres.

In Tokyo, the record for the fastest 100 metres on all fours was set at 15.86 seconds by Katsumi Tamakoshi at Komazawa Olympic Park Athletic Field in Setagaya.

In China, a record was set for the most people eating breakfast in bed. Three hundred and eight-eight people congregated in Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai, to eat their morning meal, breaking the record by 99.

The world famous Moulin Rouge in Paris also participated in GWR 2014 with three successful attempts.

They were the most simultaneous demi-grand rond de jambe cancan kicks by a single chorus line in 30 seconds (29), the most spinning splits in 30 seconds (36) and the most times to position one leg behind the head in 30 seconds by an individual (30).

In New York, home to some of the world's biggest and best fashion labels, the largest high-heeled shoe was created by Jill Martin and fashion brand Kenneth Cole. The shoe is 1.95 metres long and 1.85 metres high.

In an astonishing attempt at the world's longest basketball shot made backwards, Thunder Law of the Harlem Globetrotters landed a shot from 25 metres. An American NBA basketball court is 28.65 metres long.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Anthony Kelly catching shuttle****s over 200km/h

For more on Anthony, read it from the man himself in Can Kung Fu Make You a World Record Holder? By Anthony Kelly in our 2010 SEPTEMBER + OCTOBER issue.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another for Anthony Kelly

There's video embedded but you must follow the link.

'Arrow Catcher' snares another world record
    Quinn Jones, WWOS
    16:00 AEST Thu Nov 12 2015

What happens when a tennis ball is fired at nearly 193kmh?

The 'Arrow Catcher' breaks another Guinness world record.

Australia's highest record-holder Anthony Kelly added another title to his name when his superhuman reflexes set a new mark for 'fastest tennis ball caught'.

Appearing on Today to celebrate Guinness World Record Day, Kelly braved a cannon-like ball machine that shot out the missiles at 200kmh.

Standing 6m from then machine and only with a 0.106 of a second reaction time, Kelly, who is the holder of 40 world records, caught three of eight shots fired down at him, breaking the record with one flying at a speed of 192.9kmh.

The speed of the shots and Kelly's amazing hand-eye coordination drew gasps of astonishment from the Today studio.

"You can't even see it!" Host Karl Stefanovic exclaimed.

However, the record was without its dangers with Kelly forced to suffer a number of painful blows before nabbing the record ball.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

And an article on Kelly

Way to go, Anthony! The Coxons too!

Guinness World Record holder Anthony Kelly, of Armidale, wins spear-catching title Nov. 12, 2015, 9:30 p.m.

LIGHTNING FAST: Armidale arrow-catcher Anthony Kelly proved his reflexes were quicker than most, breaking yet another record on Guinness World Record Day yesterday.

A HANDFUL of Aussies, including Armidale’s arrow-catching martial artist Anthony Kelly, have smashed their way into history on Guinness World Record Day.

Australia’s highest record-holder, Mr Kelly has added yet another string to his bow, breaking the record for the fastest tennis ball caught, at the lightning speed of 192.9km/h.

Often referred to as a ninja, Mr Kelly is renowned for his fast reflexes, in particular his ability to catch fast-moving items. He holds the world record for most arrows caught in two minutes, blindfolded.

Last year on Guinness World Record Day, Mr Kelly succeeded in his attempt to break the record for the most spears shot out of a spear gun and caught underwater in one minute.

After three attempts, where he caught eight from eight in two rounds, then 10 from 10, he smashed the world record by three.

Mr Kelly was just part of the global record-smashing attempt, along with fellow martial arts guru Glenn Coxon, who smashed his way through 338 wooden boards in one minute.

While he didn’t break his previous record of 359 boards, set in 2005, the Sydney area resident retains his record-holder status as he created the original record.

Record-breaking is in the family, as Mr Coxon’s daughter Summerly, 27, broke the record for the most wooden boards broken in one minute by a female. She broke a whopping 215, beating the record of 161 boards.

The feat was a personal triumph for the family, as just last year Mr Coxon was diagnosed with advanced and aggressive cancer in his neck and shoulder.

After surgery and radiation, he’s beaten the odds and is determined to give back to those who saved him from becoming another statistic, particularly the team from the Chris O’Brien Lifehouse Cancer Hospital at RPA.

While these three record-breaking attempts were happening at Sydney Olympic Park yesterday, Perth-based HoopFit coach Bree Kirk-Burnnand attempted to set a new world record for most hula hoops spun simultaneously by an individual. The Guinness World Record is 162 hoops at one time and was only recently set.

A skateboard-riding dog in Peru aimed to pass through the longest human tunnel, and a Japanese man sabered as many champagne bottles as he could in 30 seconds. In the UK, the Poms attempted the largest gathering of people dressed as penguins, while the Chinese aimed to create the world’s largest lipstick sculpture.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Anthony Kelly again

Got to hand it to Anthony. He keeps delivering records.

Anthony Kelly will attempt his next Guinness World Record on Sunday.
    Madeline Link
    9 Nov 2016, 2 p.m.

ARMIDALE'S BRUCE LEE: Anthony Kelly will attempt his next world record on Sunday. He plans to break the record for the most chopsticks to hit a target in a minute.

AS the sun rises Anthony Kelly finishes the first 50 push-ups and sit-ups of 200 he will complete that day, and every other day, for the next 200 days.

He has imposed the rigorous training in the lead up to the next Guinness World Record he plans to break, with the most chopsticks to hit a target blindfolded in one minute.

“Am I confident I’m going to break this record? Hell yeah,” Mr Kelly said.

His love of martial arts began more than 40 years ago and quickly became a Guinness World Record obsession, of which he now has more than 40 under his belt.

“I had a great passion for Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali and I really wanted to be as fast or as good as I could be, I’m the youngest of five brothers so living in the seventies was pretty full on,” he said.

“I was sick of getting the cane at school and getting bashed up at the bus stop so I thought there had to be a better way to live life than being a punching bag.”

Each record he plans to break takes significant physical and mental preparation.

“When I do it I’m so focused that I can hear flies flying around,” he said.

“I don’t meditate and lots of people expect that I sit around watching a mountain or something, my meditation is catching a ball travelling at 200km/h or doing something really deadly because it gets me in the zone.”

Mr Kelly lives on a diet of meat and potatoes and claims he hasn’t eaten fruit or vegetables in his life.

Unwilling to reveal the next record he plans to break, Mr Kelly said the ideas he has for the future are significantly dangerous.

“My motto is ‘physically, mentally, faster, stronger,’” he said.

“I know I’m only going to live once and so that’s why I do it, I want to try to get the most out of myself.

” I’ve got some really wild ideas of what I want to do but it’s pushing the human boundaries and I don’t want to die just yet.”

The record for most chopsticks caught sighted is also held by Mr Kelly.

The record attempt will be held on Sunday in his home and Northern Tablelands MP Adam Marshall will witness the proceedings.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

CATCH! Anyone For Tennis?

Anthony Kelly - Martial Arts World Record Breaker
    deserves his own thread. Not sure why I didn't do this earlier because I know Anthony personally. I've poached all the posts above from the Martial Arts World Records and Stunts thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Anthony Kelly on Officially Amazing

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Fastest Tennis Ball Caught at 248 KPH

OCTOBER 9 2018 - 12:55PM
    Armidale's Anthony Kelly breaks another Guinness World Record

MARTIAL ARTS MASTER: Perpetual Guinness World Record holder Anthony Kelly has broken yet another world record for fastest tennis ball caught.

STARING down the barrel of a custom-made air gun, Anthony Kelly is a long-time member of one of the world’s most exclusive clubs.

With 50 Guinness World Records under his belt, Kelly just earned the title of World’s Fastest Tennis Ball Caught at 248 kilometres per hour.

Recently, he was best man at the wedding of his good mate Morris Zavatta – one of the greatest tightrope walkers in the world.

​“I’ve been practicing the fastest tennis ball for two years, it’s extremely hard to do,” Kelly said.

“The speed of the balls travelling from the air cannon I had to get made in America myself is 0.08 seconds, we’re talking a thousand of a second.

“I have to really train my body to overcome the pain the balls inflict on my body.”

Kelly just learned he’ll be on the inside cover of the Guinness World Book of Records in 2019.

The 54-year-old shows no signs of slowing down. He lives on a diet of meat and potatoes, and reckons he’s never eaten a piece of fruit or a vegetable in his life.

“One of my techniques is opening and closing my hand in five seconds – I have a personal best of 85,” he said.

“That keeps my body super active, I think we can do anything if we set our mind to develop our bodies.”

Kelly has appeared on television shows worldwide; he’s been studied by scientists in Plymouth, England; and met the crew of Mythbusters.

“I have a few other records pushing on the limits of human endurance,” he said,

“I know I won’t do it forever but I certainly have two or three other records that will make people stand up and have a look at what people can achieve.”

Each record he plans to break takes significant physical and mental preparation.

“My motto is ‘physically, mentally, faster, stronger,’” he said in 2016.

“I know I’m only going to live once and so that’s why I do it, I want to try to get the most out of myself.

”I’ve got some really wild ideas of what I want to do, pushing human boundaries.”

THREADS:

Anthony Kelly - Martial Arts World Record Breaker

Martial Arts World Records and Stunts.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another record for Anthony

I need to see video of this to understand what he just accomplished.
    DECEMBER 13 2018 - 2:15PM
    Anthony Kelly adds another record for Ripley's Believe It Or Not
    Steve Green

RECOGNITION: RJ Media film producer Chris Holding with new world record holder Anthony Kelly and camera operator Shane Hutt.

Local thrillseeker and Guinness Book Of Records multiple record breaker, Anthony Kelly was about town on Wednesday afternoon, following a successful attempt to add yet another record to his collection.

This time he had a camera crew in tow who had filmed him shooting and arrow skywards and then racing to catch it as it fell to earth. Thursday’s achievement makes him Australia’s leading Guinness record holder with more than 50 records to his credit.

RJ Media producer Chris Holding filmed the world record event for Ripley’s Believe It Or Not, and said the previous record was a little more than 15 metres.

“He made one attempt and got it at 20 something, I forget now. The second attempt was 31.7 metres, and today we just got 51.2 metres, which is a new record,” he said.

“It has to be authenticated, but we’ll be sending the documentation off and I don’t have any doubt that it will be recognised.”

Anthony said his more than 50 records were mainly for catching things at fast speeds.

“Usually for catching arrows at fast speeds and the fastest tennis ball caught, and lately the most coaches qualifications in multiple sports,” he said.

“I’ve had several international shows over the years come over here to film me, and Ripley’s have come over here yet again to shine an international spotlight on Armidale.”

Anthony said practice was the key to success as he continued attempting records to set goals for himself.

“I coach five nights a week to hundreds of kids and that keeps me on the edge and believing and achieving,” he said.

“They’re milestones for me at my age, to see that I can still be doing things faster than anyone in the world.”

This story Ripley’s Believe It Or Not to feature Anthony Kelly first appeared on The Armidale Express.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Anthony Kelly on Officially Amazing

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The most coach qualifications (multiple sports)

Never mind what I said about Rashid yesterday.

Most coach qualifications (multiple sports)

Who
    ANTHONY KELLY
    What
    19 TOTAL NUMBER
    Where
    AUSTRALIA (ARMIDALE)
    When
    19 APRIL 2020
    The most coach qualifications (multiple sports) is 19, and was achieved by Anthony Kelly (Australia) in Armidale, Australia, on 19 April 2020.

Anthony had always been into sports growing up. He started with rugby union, cricket and basketball, then got into martial arts at the age of 15. He began training hard already with the aim of becoming a blackbelt. After achieving it in Taekwondo, he had a passion for more and started to train in more and more styles.

This is what got eventually got him into the world of record breaking as Anthony made his first record attempt on television on El Show de los Récords in 2001 for records around arrow catching. Becoming a record breaking marked a real turning point in Anthony's career as now, renowned martial arts trainers from around the world were asking him just how he trained his reflexes to be able to catch flying arrows.

This lead Anthony to develop his training program based on his specific training exercises which he called "Reaction Training". He trained many athletes of different sports.

As he progressed as a trainer, Anthony became more curious about how these athletes were mastering their sports and had a desire to learn more from them, so he decided to study and subsequently master more martial arts and some different sports and earned more coaching qualifications.

To date, Anthony has 21 blackbelts and has completed over 70 coaching courses. He also has at least another 10 coaching courses he plans on completing to add to his current record of qualifications.

The most important piece of advice Anthony had to share was “learning and practice is the key to being the best you can be”.
    threads
    Anthony-Kelly-Martial-Arts-World-Record-Breaker
    Martial-Arts-World-Records-and-Stunts
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Anthony Kelly talks Year of the Tiger on Tiger Talk

This is Anthony Kelly, Guinness book of World Records holder for such thing as catching arrows, catching them blindfolded and over 50 more.
    He joined me on the latest episode of TIGER TALK
    https://youtu.be/utGTt9Zenpo

https://youtu.be/utGTt9Zenpo
    Tiger Talk 2 with Guinness Book of world record holder Anthony Kelly
    Learn more at Kickstart.aTigersTale.com