Thread: Why vertical fist?

Threaded View

I only know Wing Chun from video lol but like I mentioned in the Rooting thread in the Kung Fu Forum, specialized training evolved from science growing through experience as empires grew older.

First humans fought like monkeys not too much thought in was put into kick boxing combos but lots of power moves were used from monkey speed trying to rip off banana thieves scalps.: Then they started banging each other with fire sticks before the days of bow and arrows.

We can guess the first external styles like kick boxing were based on swinging heavy sticks fast with your back up punch, elbows, kicks and foot trips.

Like bow stance horizontal punch and hook punch is the same body mechanics as swinging a staff with two hands one hand guides the other hand leads. Wax on, Wax off. lol

so by the time you get to Nunchuka and butterfly swords specialized short power weapons after 1000s of years of Martial history they start using specialized short hand two hand strikes like Wing Chun, Bak Mei, Okinawa Karate.

I think if you use horizontal fist with Wing Chuns more upright posture compared to Bak Meis which is a couple inches lower whereas in Hop Gar the closer your knee is to the ground the more swing through in your hook punches like fully twisting your ankle in Muay Thai Shin Round kicks..Wing Chun I think the highest goal of your Sil Lim Tao is to have greater control of your Butterfly Swords so you don`t cut your ear off in a fight and more importantly not stab your training partners when they did not even know you were behind them training other forms, lol.

I think the vertical fist makes for quicker strikes than horizontal fist which is more of a lunge. Like Bak Mei Jik Bo you float and finger strike then sink and horizontal punch do the rolling motion and throw palm to the side which is similar to Wing Chun vertical chain punch if you are holding a knife.

Vertical punch or palm the knife floats and slices, horizontal punch it sinks and stabs.

I cant remember the name of the palm in Jik Bo I think it`s Gwerk Jueng or something but google is failing me, but it shoots out loose and fast like Wing Chun chain vertical punches which reminds me of holding two knives stabbing fast while standing upright instead of fighting like Choy Li Fut from a mid range stance using more thrusting and slicing long fist strikes. Short hand is all about jab,jab,jab instead of smash,bam, boom lol.
    Last edited by diego; 07-05-2017 at 10:32 AM.