Thread: A Thought about Spiderman

A Thought about Spiderman

Greetings,

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is making Peter Parker a younger and then an even younger person. He is becoming the equivalent of Fong Sai Yuk of said universe. A Chinese Spiderman should not be far off.

Thoughts??

mickey

I'm guessing it's because the actors either start feeling 'too good' to play Peter Parker/Spider-Man anymore once they've made some bank, or age out of the character. So this time they had to get an actor who's really young, to hopefully last several films. Especially now, since he's being brought into The Avengers.

It also seems that actors don't really like playing Bruce Banner/Hulk in the movies, either. They've switched out 3 times as well.

There's a female Captain Marvel coming out, either on TV or the movies(?). Back in the '70s, Marvel's Captain Marvel was a blonde man, and they also had a blonde Miss Marvel counterpart. Now they've just changed the Miss to the Captain. I suppose 'Miss' Marvel would seem offensive to women nowadays, and Captain Marvel wasn't an overly big a character, anyway.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 06-26-2017 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    So this time they had to get an actor who's really young, to hopefully last several films. Especially now, since he's being brought into The Avengers.
    Yeah. That makes him like Fong Sai Yuk, Jimbo.

Thank you for sharing your views on this. I do agree it is the $$$. Nevertheless, this one offers an opportunity.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Yeah. That makes him like Fong Sai Yuk, Jimbo.

Thank you for sharing your views on this. I do agree it is the $$$. Nevertheless, this one offers an opportunity.

mickey
    Hi, mickey.

When Alexander Fu Sheng first played Fong Sai-Yuk, he was 20; Meng Fei was 21 or 22; Chiang Sheng was 28; Hsiao Hou was 26 or 27; and Jet Li was 30. There are others who've played Fong, but I can't remember them at the moment. In the above examples, the actors playing Fong were (for the most part) progressively older, as opposed to younger.

Oops, forgot to mention:
    IMO, if an actor is lucky enough to land a major multi-picture deal as a popular character like Spider-man, they should probably stick with it as long as possible. You never know when such a lucrative, steady acting job will come around again. Sometimes actors think they're too good for a role, leave it and then find they cannot equal the deal they left. That's true of many acting gigs besides superhero roles.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 06-26-2017 at 08:44 PM.

Greetings Jimbo,

Cinematically, yes, Fong Sai Yuk was played by actors in their twenties. According to "legend" he was a kid, more likely in his teens. He was incredibly strong for his age and could very well hold his own against, mature, adult fighters.

mickey

In a story I read a long time ago about Fong Sai-Yuk (Mandarin: Fang Shih-Yu), I think he was 14, maybe 16 at the oldest. I always liked Fu Sheng's portrayals of Fong the best.

I think that Marvel is really emphasizing Spider-man's youth now because it sets him apart from the rest of the Avengers. It puts him in life situations that should pull in even more younger viewers. Back in the Marvel Universe of the 1970s, IIRC, Peter Parker had already become an adult out of high school and into college and beyond. The weird thing about this new Spider-man actor is that he looks really small. In the last Avengers movie, he looked and sounded like a 13 year old in a Spidey suit. But he might end up being great in the role.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 06-27-2017 at 08:13 AM.