Thread: What is "gap filling"?

What is "gap filling"?

There has been some recent discussion about what it means to gap fill in martial arts, and some fundamental misunderstanding of the terms used.

Filling gaps in understanding happens when a system has not been transmitted correctly and is "broken", or non functional. An example would be wing chun that works only at an artificial "chi sau range". The gap in question in this case is the whole free fighting aspect of the system, i.e. understanding has only been transmitted up to chi sau level with a corresponding misunderstanding of what chi sau is for. The system in this case is completely broken, both in terms of functionality at close range (trying to fight with chi sau) and at longer range (unable to do anything but try to re-establish chi sau range).

Gap-filling suggestions from people with this kind of broken understanding range from filling the gap with other incompatible systems like boxing or Muay Thai, to simply imagining that chi sau range will be maintained as in the hi sau drill, whether the opponent likes it or not. Obviously this kind of gap filling can lead to problems in terms of functionality.

Gap filling within a system is not comparable to cross training in a different system. Cross training can be a good idea with compatible systems, and a bad idea with incompatible ones, again for obvious reasons.

Opinions please

I believe that every traditional martial art has always included training in other systems. It was based on the needs and probability of what one would face in combat. Having said that I also feel that defined systems are a fairly recent development.

If you look at history you will see examples of students trained by the same master who then went on and personalized their approach based on their needs and likes. It also seemed pretty common for a master to send their student to study with other masters as well. While the core concepts would remain the same the specific flavor would change. Kind of like the whole idea of not beeing a slave to the system.

Having said that, I also believe that one needs to have a firm understanding and mastery of the underlying concepts and approach of the "system" before you can make changes. To simply add something because you are unable to make something work is not growth but compensation for your own failings. Or to add something without being able to modify it to adhere to the underlying concepts is a fail as well, imho.

Wing Chun is an eclectic art which was developed from other systems to meet the needs of the developers. The founders took what they liked and needed and constructed a platform and foundation onto which to build. The art was specific for their day and could, possibly gain from adding things today. Then again, with an art which is based on concepts and an understanding of energy there may not be any need to make changes or additions. I think this is where some people get the prejudice against "technique" based approaches. If you learn technique A to counter B then you will never grow beyond a certain point. However if you truly understand what Technique A is then it can be adapted to many different situations without deviating from the core concept. Thus it will not matter what you are faced with as you respond based on a concept (in my approach is is the energy given) not a specific movement.

I guess the bottom line is why you are adding or modifying something. Is it because your approach is lacking or does not have the answer for a specific situation or is it because you like something else and want to train and incorporate it as well. Personally I believe that Wing Chun, because it is conceptual, is able to be adapted and applied to many different situations. Having said that, I also like Pekiti Tirsia and Silat and have trained those and integrated them with my WC, mainly cause I like them and by understanding these other arts I also gain a deeper understanding of my WC. It is interesting to note that when I perform PT with my instructor our movements, while appearing to be the same, have different flavors. My stick work has a distinct WC flavor, kind of hard to explain on a forum.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Gap-filling is plugging holes in non-functional methods when essential parts are missing from a system, most likely due to loss in transmission for whatever reason. It's essential because without it, it doesn't work. This is distinct from cross-training which is complementing functional methods with more functional methods to expand one's toolset.

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Having said that, I also believe that one needs to have a firm understanding and mastery of the underlying concepts and approach of the "system" before you can make changes. To simply add something because you are unable to make something work is not growth but compensation for your own failings. Or to add something without being able to modify it to adhere to the underlying concepts is a fail as well, imho.
    Absolutely, a crucial point!

Blog Entries
    You don't need cross training to fill in the WC gap. All you need is to add something extra into your WC training. What you will need to add in can be as simple as to train all your WC forms with "extension arm" that your arm and chest make a 180 degree angle instead of just 90 degree angle. That extra body rotation may slow down your chain punches speed. But it will give you extra reach for long distance. Also your body rotation can add more power into your punch.

In order words, you trade "speed" with "long reach" and "more power". If you can do both, you are not losing anything but add in something.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You don't need cross training to fill in the WC gap. All you need is to add something extra into your WC training. What you will need to add in can be as simple as to train all your WC forms with "extension arm" that your arm and chest make a 180 degree angle instead of just 90 degree angle. That extra body rotation may slow down your chain punches speed. But it will give you extra reach for long distance. Also your body rotation can add more power into your punch.

In order words, you trade "speed" with "long reach" and "more power". If you can do both, you are not losing anything but add in something.
    VT purposefully doesn't overextend or overrotate for a reason. That's not a gap to be filled.

It would be considered cross training to incorporate those things, but it would be counterproductive for VT.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

Thanks for your comment, but I think you have gap filling and cross training mixed up? The above does not represent a gap in VT understanding that needs to be filled.