Thread: Dangal

Aamir Khan

I'm a huge fan of Aamir Khan. He was brilliant in both Dhoom 3 and PK.

Dangal: Aamir Khan tries his hand at martial arts in China
    Aamir Khan was in China recently to promote his movie Dangal.
    Written By Karishma Shetty Mumbai Updated: April 24, 2017 03:18 pm

Aamir Khan was in China where his movie Dangal is slated to release soon. He went there to promote his movie and was greeted by thousands of fans as he attended the Beijing International Film Festival where the movie was being screened.
    Aamir spent some quality time in China and we got our hands on some pictures of the actor from his visit. In the photos, Aamir is seen trying his hand at martial arts. He is seen learning the various poses and we must admit he masters it like a boss.

In the photos, Aamir is seen sporting a grey tee and torn blue jeans and it's shocking to know that the actor is 52 years of age. He is also seen wearing his trademark glasses and his beard is trimmed with the mustache still on.

We're loving these pictures of a fun-filled Aamir Khan. How about you?

Meanwhile, Dangal will be releasing in China on May 5. Aamir's previous movies namely PK, 3 Idiots and Dhoom 3 are the top 3 movies at the China box-office when it comes to Indian films. Looks like the Dangal magic will take over China as well.

Speaking about his movies in China, Aamir had told a leading daily, "I can feel the emotion when I come to China. It is something that I really cherish. I’ve been acting for many years. In the beginning, none of my films were popular in China. Until 3 Idiots released. Then suddenly, I realized that this was very popular in China, especially with the youth in China.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Dangal takes China

If you haven't heard of Dangal, you really aren't tuned into what's happening in Chinese cinema. Check the Forbes article below.

JUN 28, 2017 @ 09:28 PM
    Like A True Champ, 'Dangal' Is Making A Miraculous Fight To The Finish In China
    Rob Cain , CONTRIBUTOR
    Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

There haven’t been many films in movie history that have enjoyed the kind of run Dangal has experienced in China. Only a few that I’m aware of have had the sort of legs—that is, the momentum to play far longer and more successfully than expected—that the Indian wrestling drama has.

Dangal's daily revenue has accelerated in this, it's 8th week in China Disney / UTV

A couple of old American movies come to mind: the original Star Wars (1977) and My Big Fat Greek Fat Wedding (2002). Both started out small and caught on right away with audiences, building and widening their releases as they ran for months. Both are among the leggiest films in movie history.

But those two films differ in important ways from Dangal. Both arrived with almost no expectations of success, and were granted small, limited runs on their opening weekends. The majority of the executives at Fox had no belief at all in the George Lucas sci-fi adventure, and so they granted it a paltry 32 screens for its debut. Greek Wedding was just a tiny indie picture with no names and it was likewise constrained to just a handful of opening weekend venues. Star Wars opened with just $254,000 on its first day, and Greek Wedding was even less conspicuous with just $103,000.

But Dangal was something different. It’s star, Aamir Khan, was already hugely popular in China, and expectations were high for the movie. It was ushered in to more than 5,000 theaters on its opening day. No one was surprised that it performed well, earning $2.2 million on its first day. But even so, it quickly surprised everyone by becoming a far, far bigger success than anyone could have predicted, with over $190 million in box office revenue to date, the fourth highest total for a movie in China this year after Fate of the Furious, Kung Fu Yoga and Journey to the West: Demon Chapter. For a Hindi-language film in a market where no Indian film has earned more than $20 million, that is absolutely remarkable.

Usually by the time a film is 8 weeks into its release it is shedding screens, losing business, and is steadily falling ****her and ****her down the ranks in the daily box office chart as newer films nudge it aside. And It looked like that would be the Aamir Khan-starrer’s fate as recently as last Friday, when Transformers: The Last Knight stomped across China’s movie landscape, shoving other movies out of its way as it grabbed 3 out of every 4 of the country’s movie screens. Dangal was left with just 2,900 showtimes that day, and looked like it was down for the count when it earned just $150,000 in box office receipts.

But Transformers proved to be unworthy of its huge release, as terrible word of mouth resulted in n enormous shortfall in its business relative to expectations. Faced with the prospect of the rapidly emptying theaters that had been allocated to the Michael Bay movie, theater operators looked around to figure out what to do with those under-performing screens, and they liked what they saw with Dangal. It had steadily improved after Friday, clawing its was back up to 6th place. The theaters started giving back screens to the long-running sports drama, and sure enough it performed like a champ. By Wednesday, Dangal's showtimes had more than doubled to over 6,500, and it doubled Friday's admissions tally to over 69,000, enough for nearly $300,000 in revenue that day.

And for the First Forum Review:
    Dangal blew up in PRC. It's about India's first female world gold medal wrestlers, sisters driven from childhood by their psycho stage dad coach. The dad is Aamir Khan, one of my fav actors, short with weird ears, intense eyebrows and hecka buff. But he plays an older man in most of this and wears a fat suit to give him a belly. There are no dance numbers but many musical interludes. I was surprisingly captivated by this, especially the wrestling matches, even though they were totally predictable from a sports movie perspective. It's based on real champions so it's obvious they win in the end. But I get why China luvs it - it's about family sacrifice, coming from nothingness and making it through intense discipline. It's very Confucian and somewhat Buddhist, perhaps not intentionally so, but I imagine that's how it reads to the Chinese.

Hollywood keeps talking about the China market, and we've bemoaned the fact that China can't seem to make an international blockbuster. The true global hit will take three markets, Hollywood, PRC and India. So the films to watch now are any that manage to take two out of three.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Secret Superstar

Not planning to launch a Secret Superstar thread, but I will add that if you don't know Aamir Khan by now, you don't know global cinema.

BOLLYWOOD ICON AAMIR KHAN ON ‘SECRET SUPERSTAR,’ WORLDWIDE SUCCESS OF ‘DANGAL,’ AND EMPOWERING WOMEN: EXCLUSIVE
    BY TUFAYEL AHMED ON 10/19/17 AT 2:00 PM

Aamir Khan is the most bankable movie star in the world. That’s not hyperbole—the proof is in the numbers.

Khan, one of the biggest names in Bollywood, India’s movie-making industry, has starred in three of the country’s 10 highest-grossing movies of all time. His last film, Dangal, released in his native country in December 2016, holds the record for the highest-grossing Indian film ever—the critically acclaimed wrestling drama has grossed $300 million across the world, including $193 million in China alone. Khan has defied the odds to become one of China’s most popular movie stars and is affectionately known there as Uncle Aamir. He’s an anomaly in the film industry as it exists today—the last of the true global movie stars.

Here’s the thing about Khan though: He doesn’t revel in his success. When I speak to him over the phone, the actor modestly downplays his own star power and says his box office wins—Dangal, 2014’s PK, 2009’s 3 Idiots and 2013’s Dhoom 3—are a collective effort. “The way I look at it is that no star can make a film. It’s the other way around: It’s the film that makes the star,” Khan says. “My contribution as a star is limited to the first three days—I can, at best, get you an opening. But the fact of the matter is that it’s the film that ultimately succeeds. These are stories I haven’t written, I haven’t directed these films, so the success belongs to the writer and the director.”

For Dangal, however, at least part of the movie’s worldwide achievements are attributable to Khan. The actor produced the drama through his own company, Aamir Khan Productions, which he set up in 1999 and which released the Oscar-nominated 2001 film Lagaan as its first feature. Dangal wasn’t just a win for the accounting books but also a step forward for progressive thinking in India. The film—which is based on real events—follows Mahavir Singh Phogat, a former wrestler whose dreams of competing for his country on a world stage were dashed, as he passes on his aspirations to his daughters. Dangal challenges what Khan says is still a patriarchal society in India and values gender equality. Yes, Aamir Khan, the burly action star, is a woke feminist.

Khan’s next movie, Secret Superstar, doubles down on the female empowerment themes in Dangal and goes a step further by tackling the taboo subject of domestic violence in India. And, yes, it’ll probably do big numbers across India—and the world—when it opens Thursday as Bollywood’s big Diwali release. (Diwali being the biggest festival on the Hindu calendar.) Secret Superstar is about a young Muslim girl, Insu, played by Zaira Wasim, who played Khan’s daughter in Dangal, who defies her parents’ conservative traditions by becoming a viral sensation with videos of her singing. Khan, in an unusually flamboyant role, plays a self-centered music producer who takes notice of young Insu.

Here, Khan speaks to Newsweek about effecting social change in India through the power of cinema, the mammoth success of Dangal and whether he might dip a toe in Hollywood.

Aamir Khan speaks during a news conference to promote his film “Secret Superstar” in Singapore, on October 2. In India, he’s a titan of Bollywood. In China, he’s “Uncle Aamir.” To the world, he’s the biggest movie star going.
    EDGAR SU/REUTERS

Secret Superstar is another socially conscious movie that drives conversation about female empowerment. Why is that important to you?

I was very fortunate to have two scripts come my way, both talking about similar issues in different ways. Dangal has a strong male protagonist leading the journey, and that’s an important voice, because it speaks to the men in Indian society. India is a very patriarchal society. Here, you see a man who is telling other men that this is something I should be doing. He thinks a son was going to fulfill his dreams, but it’s a daughter that fulfills his dreams. That’s a big message to Indian society. Dangal primarily speaks to parents.

Secret Superstar is about the same issue, but it’s through the voice of a 14-year-old girl and is about her dreams and desires. It’s a story that speaks to a young teenage audience and tells them they have the right to fight for their own individuality, their desires, their hopes.

The world has responded so warmly to Dangal, both in terms of the message and at the box office. What has that journey been like for you?

We made something with our hearts, something we strongly believed in, and the way the audience reacted was so encouraging and heartwarming. It went on to become the highest-grossing Indian film ever, and that shows to what extent people loved it. That was so heartening to see—a story like that is being loved. I’m hoping we get a similar strong reaction for Secret Superstar, which I believe is an even more important film.

You tweeted recently that your part in Secret Superstar is one of your “toughest roles.” Why is that?

I don’t find any role that I do easy, and every role has its own challenges. This time, for the first time, I’m playing a character who is so unlike me. He’s very arrogant, very full of himself, a very obnoxious person. He’s incorrect in almost everything he says and does. He doesn’t listen to people—he’s only interested in his own voice. Perhaps the only redeeming quality he has is that he makes you laugh at him, because he’s so obnoxious you can’t take him seriously. The way Advait [Chandan, director] wrote this character, you find it difficult to believe if he’s really like this, or is it all an act? It was tricky for me to pitch [the character] correctly...it’s so opposite to my type. But it’s important for me to get into the head of the character I’m playing. The way I’ve been brought up is quite contrary. My mom would always tell us, "If you’re successful at something, don’t talk about it, be humble about it." That is the upbringing a lot of us [in India] had.

Playing against type: Aamir Khan in “Secret Superstar.”
    ZEE STUDIOS

You’re reunited with Zaira Wasim in Secret Superstar. She played your daughter, Geeta, age 14, in Dangal. Did you have some influence in her landing this role, too?

We were searching for a girl for Dangal; we tested Zaira for the role of Geeta when she’s 14. We were bowled over—she was just right for the part, and we knew we found the girl we wanted. At the same time, Advait was looking for a girl for his film, and I suggested to him, “We found a really great actress for the role of Geeta when she’s 14,” and that’s roughly the age for this part. Advait tested her, and she was bang-on, she was amazing. In fact, Advait was trying to convince Nitesh [Tiwari, Dangal’s director] and me, “Don’t put her in Dangal, let me use her in Secret Superstar, and I’d like that to be a vehicle for this girl.” Fortunately, we did not listen to him, and we were very happy with her in Dangal.

She is so gifted as an actor, she’s so talented...in all honesty, from my point of view, she’s the best actress we have in the film industry. She’s so young, she has a long way to go, so I feel so happy and proud for her.

You have in the past shied away from movie industry awards events. Dangal was so critically lauded and won numerous awards. You, yourself, won best actor at the Filmfare Awards, the Indian equivalent of the Oscars, in January. Has your stance on awards shows changed?

What I’m really happy about, the film that we’ve made, for the audience that we made it, has resonated so strongly in India and all over the world. That is the most important thing for all of us [involved]. It has won awards at various stages, but the most important thing is that it touched a deep core in people.

In June, you were extended an invite from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) to join its ranks and vote for future Academy Awards. Have you accepted?

I have accepted that invitation. To be invited to join that big group is certainly something I’m happy about.

Aamir Khan stars in “Dangal.” The film has become Bollywood’s highest-grossing motion picture.
    UTV MOTION PICTURES

One question that I have to ask is, When will fans get to see you in a movie alongside the other great Khan of Bollywood—Shah Rukh Khan?
    Well, I would love to do a movie with Shah Rukh. He’s a dear friend. If the right kind of script comes along, both of us would love to do a film together. There have been a couple of offers to come our way. But nothing has ever materialized.

Do you have any ambitions to make a Hollywood film?

I am really happy with the kind of films I do here in India. I would definitely be open to a film in any language, from any part of the world, as long as the script is something that excites me and if the director is someone who I trust. It could be from the U.S., or the U.K., China...anywhere in the world. What the film is saying is important to me.

Secret Superstar is in theaters now globally.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

4th Annual Jackie Chan Action Movie Week

'Dangal' girl Sanya Malhotra not just met with Jackie Chan, but also got an award in China

Sanya Malhotra and Jackie Chan , Image Courtesy: Instagram

WRITTEN BY DNA Web Team
    Updated: Jul 25, 2018, 10:21 PM IST

Sanya Malhotra has been felicitated in China. The actress had visited the country to pick an award for her performance in her debut film 'Dangal'. Recently Sanya Malhotra had attended the Shanghai International Film Festival (SIFF) in China along with her Dangal co-star Fatima Sana Shaikh.

Sanya won the Best Action Actress Award at the prestigious fourth annual Jackie Chan Action Movie Week, held as part of SIFF, for her performance in Dangal. The award ceremony was held in Datong, China. Sanya, who made it to the event, even had a fan-girl moment when she met action superstar Jackie Chan.

Sanya Malhotra shared,"I’m humbled to have received this award for the movie. Dangal means a lot to me and marked my debut in the industry. I feel grateful for the honor from a lovely country like China. It only encourages me to work harder for all the people who have showered so much love on me since the movie released. Also, the cherry on the icing was meeting the legendary actor Jackie Chan. It was truly a fangirl moment for me. He is very humble, gracious and down-to-earth.”

Both Sanya and Fatima even posed with the star for a picture and shared it on their respective social media accounts. Sanya shared an image of her with Jackie Chan and captioned it by writing,"Met a legend who’s so humble, gracious and hospitable. Thank you so much @jackiechan for having us at #jackiechanactionmovieweek . Looking forward to watch the closing ceremony and especially the performance by your team ️#jackiechan#dangal".

In fact, Sanya is a big fan of Chan’s work and has seen most of his action movies while growing up. Her film Dangal released in China and received a humongous response from the Chinese audience, and Sanya left the audience and critics impressed with her performance as Babita.

Dangal had become the biggest film of the year when it was released in India in 2016. It was not only hailed in India by the audience and critics, but was also loved in other countries.

Dangal has been declared one of the most popular Indian films to have been released in China. Dangal actresses Sanya Malhotra and Fatima Sana Shaikh were honoured with the Best Action Actress Award for Dangal.
    THREADS:
    Dangal
    Jackie Chan's franchises
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips