Thread: TCM and Beauty Tips

TCM and Beauty Tips

This might seem random but there's a huge element of TCM that cultivates the Beauty market. That's what Gwyneth's Goop site is working (see Gwyneth & Moon Juice Sex Dust & Celebrites endorsing TCM). We even ran a related article on this - Qigong Botox By Helen A. Buckett - see our NOV+DEC 2005 issue. Gigi Oh, our Publisher Emeritus, talks about this and she's into red dates, goji berries, and Chinese yams.
    Anyone who has met her knows she has great skin.

Why Traditional Chinese Medicine May Be the Best Path to Flawless Skin
    by Gillian Sagansky
    June 29, 2017 6:48 pm

East End Girls Fei Fei Sun and her fellow Asian models put a twist on tradition in spring’s rich silks and lush florals. Front: Gucci belted dress and briefs. Back, from left: Maison Martin Margiela top and skirt. Loewe blouse and belted trousers. Carolina Herrera gown. Alexander McQueen coat, mask, and belt. Marni jacket and skirt; Electric Feathers belt. Rochas shoes (on all). Beauty note: Dior Diorskin Nude Air Serum Ultra-Fluid Serum Foundation in No. 10 turns skin into a perfect canvas. For stores, prices, and more, go to Wmag.com/la-clique-cest-chic.Models: Liu Wen at the Society Management; Issa Lish at Muse Management; Shu Pei Qin at Next Management; Chiharu Okunugi at New York Model Management; Fei Fei Sun at Women Management; Dylan Xue at Supreme Management. Hair by Shay Ashual at Tim Howard Management; makeup by Val Garland at Streeters London; manicures by Honey at Exposure NY. Set design by Andrea Stanley at Streeters London. Production by North Six. Choreography by Normannshay. Lighting director: John Torres. Digital technician: Devin Doyle. Photography assistants: Alex Lockett, Calvin TK. Lighting assistants: Pawel Woznicki, Mark Lvckasavage, Alexei Topounov. Post-tech and production: Jim Alexandrou. Fashion assistants: Ryann Foulke, Dena Giannini, Siobhan O’Brien, Lauren Benksky.

Growing up in Hong Kong, Cecilia Wong was well schooled in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) from a very early age. “TCM is very much engrained in my culture,” Wong says. Over the years, the skincare guru picked up a plethora of tricks from her mother, such as acupressure, pearl powder, and herbal remedies. Above all, her most valuable TCM tenant on which her practice is based, is the idea of beauty from the inside out. “When someone has skincare issues, it’s more internal rather than topical. You need to get to the root of the cause,” explains Wong from her Fifth Avenue skincare clinic. “When people talk about TCM there is a perception that it is just about herbs and acupuncture. And while they’re important, so much of it is based on the healing power of food.” Here, she shares her list of skin-saving super foods, and explains how targeted acupressure massage will leave your skin glowing and problem-free.

How did you first get into traditional Chinese medicine?

I was born in Hong Kong, in my family herbs are huge. Most of my knowledge comes from my mom teaching me about these things from a very young age. Specifically, she taught me this technique called gua sha, which she taught me how to do on her, how to make soup with different Chinese herbs, and what foods to eat. When I first evaluate a client’s skin, it’s all using TCM philosophy. TCM is based on four different things. Wind, water, cold, and heat, and there has to be balance. I look at a client’s skin and I recommend foods to eat and herbs to take. In TCM, we use a lot of food to heal the body. That’s the whole philosophy.

What is chi?

It’s energy in your body. Everyone has it. If you don’t have chi, you get sick and tired.

I know you learned most TCM techniques from your mom. What were her most valuable and effective tricks?

We used a lot of red dates, goji berries, and Chinese yams. The art of it is also about knowing how to combine certain ingredients together to be effective. You can’t just put all this stuff together and drink it. When I got older, I became more interested learning that field. Everything was self-taught; I decided to incorporate it into the skincare business. She taught me that when someone has skincare issues, it’s more internal rather than topical. You need to get to the root of the cause. It doesn’t matter what you put on your skin, you’ll still have that problem.

What was the strangest but most effective ingredient she used?

I grew up using pearl powder for beauty purposes. It is literally pearls crushed into a powder. It is supposed to rejuvenate, lighten, and help to brighten dull skin. For your face you simply mix it with water until it becomes a paste and put it on your skin as a mask. I grew up with acne, trying everything from drugstore products to other medicines. Another eccentric TCM cure is bitter melon. It is excellent for getting rid of acne blemishes. I put the juice directly on my skin. It dries up fast, it is my detox mask.

So all in all, what are the top TCM foods?

Red dates, bitter melon, goji berries, burdock root, chamomile, yams, and ginseng.

What are they used for?

I suggest red dates with goji berries, steep them in water and drink it daily. Red dates are only sold at Chinese supermarkets. I get a bag of them and boil them in a pot of hot water for an hour, add goji berries. You put it in the fridge, and drink it for the next days. They’re great for replenishing iron. I grew up drinking this tonic. Red dates are great after your menstrual cycle. Black dates don’t have the same potency as red dates. Ginseng is a root and is great for a hangover, it gives you vitality. Chamomile is very calming, and yams have a lot of B6.

Are their specific times of day you eat these foods?

Time of day is really important in TCM. For instance, if you have a lot of heat, don’t eat ginger past 4 p.m. Your body reacts differently to different foods at different times. I would drink chamomile tea before going to bed, it’s cooling. It’s important to balance organs. If one is out of place, it sets everything off.

Cecilia Wong in her New York City skin care clinic

Now that we’re in the middle of summer, what would be TCM’s answer to sun exposure?

My mom would recommend to eat a lot of fruit. You lose a ton of moisture so it’s important to eat a lot of watermelon. If your body has a lot of heat, you want cucumber and melons. If you have excessive water in your body, eat barley. TCM is about balance, you cannot eat one thing too much, that throws everything off. She taught me about watermelon rind. Every summer after a barbecue, my mom would give me the watermelon rind and tell me to rub it on my face. It really helps with sunspots and refreshing the skin. It stings in the beginning. Watermelon has certain enzymes in it which helps soothe the skin, especially after the sun.
    Is there one food you should eat every day?

Honestly, it sounds so simple but an apple a day. It has so many vitamins, and helps to prevent a lot of things.

Foods aside, I know acupressure is crucial to your practice, tell me about how it works.

Your face and body have a lot of pressure points, and each pressure point corresponds with certain organs in your body. In fact, with your face everything is connected to your body. Acupressure is a process. I always start with the eyes – your eyes represent your kidneys and spleen. So a lot of times if you’re really tired, dehydrated, and haven’t gotten a lot of sleep, your kidneys and spleen can be affected. So I start with the eyes and work towards the cheek, mouth area, especially your upper lip, which is an important pressure point. Then I work on the neck where there’s a lot of pressure points, and I also incorporate lymphatic drainage. Facial massage is a big focus for me. Throughout the years I did a lot of research and exploration. I perform it on myself, and after the massage you feel lighter. When I feel tired and need a pick me up, there are two main pressure points I use. One is the eyes, and the other is between your nose and your lip. This is a life point – if someone faints, this point wakes them up. It’s a great pick me up.

Can you clarify the myth on essential oils? Some people swear by them, but others say they deplete collagen and irritate the skin…

I would never use them alone topically on your skin, but mixed in a serum they are good. They are very therapeautic. They definitely have a medicinal effect to them, but they’re incredibly strong. Hibiscus and chamomile oil, are actually also considered as TCM herbs. I use chamomile and probiotics for my toner. I use plants, fruits, and essential oils in my nine product all-natural line of serums, moisturizers, masks, and toners, is infused with essential oils. All the ingredients are very therapeutic.

Are you still developing new techniques?

Yes, I am always learning. Learning more about facial massages, techniques on lymphatic. Your body is still a mystery. You have to find out whey you have imbalances, and see what your skin responds to.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

2nd post in a week

This thread might just thrive...

3 Successful Chinese Skin Care Methods
    These Chinese skin care methods will take care of your skin
    By The Bayside Desk - July 18, 2017012

When thinking in terms of successful Chinese skin care methods, one has to consider that it does not only relate to beauty. Chinese skin care methods also encompass different aspects health. This actually makes good sense as the skin is the largest organ in the human body. The Chinese acknowledge that the skin is the most vital organ as it protects the body is its first level of defense against diseases and illnesses.

If you do not care for your skin properly, conditions could develop. They range from peeling, dryness, itching, to pimple growths and more. These conditions, if not well cared for may worsen and last for months or even years at times. Like your hair and nails, the skin also needs to be well cared for and protected.

The Chinese believe that the skin is associated with the amount heat in the blood. Accordingly, the food consumed by people greatly affects the quality of the skin. For example, eating excessive spicy, greasy or deep fried foods cause headedness in the body, resulting in certain skin types developing acne or dried skin. They also attribute certain seafood to skin problems, such as shellfish and mussels. As such, one should not take excessive amounts of any type of food in order to maintain a good skin texture.

Another cause of poor skin quality is the lack of sleep or excessive late nights, as it has negative effects on the liver, thus causing skin problems. If the body is not well rested, the liver becomes over active and toxins remain active in the blood stream. Also, not drinking enough of the right kinds of fluids and having an insufficient intake of vegetables and fruits are other causes.

Other than the above-mentioned skin care tips, here are 3 successful Chinese skin care methods that you should consider using.

1. Detoxify the Liver – According to Chinese traditional skin care techniques, it is very important to detoxify, cleanse and calm the liver. The liver has an impact on every other organ in the body and the skin is its largest organ, is often the first to be affected by toxins. There are a number of Chinese herbal remedies available to help in the detoxification process; however, personal diet is the first consideration. Other than eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, one should also cut out processed and greasy foods to help detoxify the liver. Chinese herbal and root teas will also assist and support the liver through the detoxification process.

2. Moisturize the Skin – Chinese traditional medicine has also included moisturizing products for the skin as a key component. All of the moisturizing products used are completely organic, herbal and natural. For centuries, the Chinese have also included the Mother of Pearl in their skin moisturizing products as it enhances the beauty of the skin.

3. Nourish the blood – The third successful Chinese skin care method is vital as the blood nourishes the entire bodily system. Again, there are many different types of tonics available in today’s market that nourishes the blood. They have been used for centuries and often contain Ginseng or Dong Quai.

Effectively, traditional Chinese medicine prescribes that dietary and lifestyle changes need to take place constantly for successful skin care methods to work. This, together with the application of various techniques, herbal remedies, tonics and skin care products will ensure that the skin is kept clean, moisturized and healthy. They also ensure that the overall health of the individual is kept at its best.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

I had no idea where to post this because it's such an outlier. I can't hardly grok it.

A Fashion Week First: Traditional Chinese Medicine Brand GuangYuYuan on the Runway English
    NEWS PROVIDED BY
    GuangYuYuan
    Oct 10, 2017, 10:10 ET

- Oldest TCM brand in China, with a history of nearly 500 years

- GuoJiaxue, Chairman of GuangYuYuan: "Our Paris Fashion Week campaign is all about connecting with younger consumers. We are the oldest of the 'Big 4' Traditional Chinese Medicine brands, so it's easy to mistake us for being old fashioned. Today, we are reinterpreting our legacy with innovation and flair."

GuangYuYuan inspired runway looks by Chinese designer Big-King

Former French Prime Minister Jean-Pierre Raffarin presents GuangYuYuan Chairman Guo Jiaxue with an award for "Most Influential and Innovative International Brand" at the 2017 Select Fashion Awards

GuangYuYuan inspired runway looks by Chinese designer Big-KingFormer French Prime Minister Jean-Pierre Raffarin presents GuangYuYuan Chairman Guo Jiaxue with an award for "Most Influential and Innovative International Brand" at the 2017 Select Fashion Awards

PARIS, Oct. 10, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Like other companies honored with the "Time-Honored Brand" appellation, GuangYuYuanis tasked with balancing its heritage and the demands of modern consumers. "Only about 10% of [China Time-Honored Brands] are fit for the demands of the modern economy," according to the website of the State Council of China.

On October 1, GuangYuYuan made its global debut at Paris Fashion Week, sponsoring rising fashion designer Liu Qing, also known as Big-King, in his first Paris runway show, at the MuséeJacquemart-André. The highly unusual collaboration between a TCM brand and fashion design is the brainchild of new hire Wang Xinyu, General Manager of GuangYuYuan's Brand Center. Under Mr. Wang, the company has embarked on a marketing modernization strategy that is truly revolutionary for one of oldest companies in China, if not the world. The runway show is being co-organized with tech giant Tencent, during the finale of Paris Fashion Week, and celebrates embracing both innovation and tradition.

GuoJiaxue, Chairman of the Board of GuangYuYuan Chinese Herbal Medicine Co., Ltd. explained the strategy behind the sponsorship: "Our Paris Fashion Week campaign is all about connecting with younger consumers. We are the oldest of the 'Big 4' Traditional Chinese Medicine brands, so it's easy to mistake us for being old fashioned. Today, we are reinterpreting our legacy with innovation and flair."

Big-King typifies the young customer that GuangYuYuan is seeking out. At the show, he revealed 10 modern looks using elements inspired by traditional Chinese motifs and themes, as well as GuangYuYuan's nearly 500 year history. The star-studded event was attended by celebrities such Celina Jade, representatives from top fashion houses including Gucci and Louis Vuitton, and politicians including former French Prime Minister Jean-Pierre Raffarin.

"To resonate with today's consumers, we're changing how we engage, while underscoring that GuangYuYuan will never compromise when it comes to product quality or preserving our intangible cultural heritage," Mr. Guo added.

About GuangYuYuan

GuangYuYuan (600771 | CHN) was founded in 1541. In 2003, it was acquired by leading Chinese pharmaceutical conglomerate, Xi'an Dongsheng Group, and is listed on the Shanghai StockExchange. In 2006, GuangYuYuan was honored by the Chinese Ministry of Commerce, receiving its "Time-Honored Brand" appellation. Two of GuangYuYuan's oldest products, GuilingJi and Dingkun Dan, have been declared to be part of China's intangible cultural heritage and their formulas have been named national secrets.

SOURCE GuangYuYuan

Related Links

http://www.guangyuyuan.cn
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hasma aka 'xue ha gao'

The price of eternal youth: Protected frogs are DRIED TO DEATH so shops can make traditional Chinese medicine that's supposed to help women 'look beautiful'
    WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT
    Hasma, a popular medicinal food in China, is made with frogs' fallopian tubes
    The frogs are dried to death so their tubes could be taken at the 'highest quality'
    The best Hasma is produced in north-east China from a rare type of wild frogs
    Hasma is rich in protein and can supposedly improve women's skin condition
    By Tiffany Lo For Mailonline
    PUBLISHED: 04:41 EST, 17 November 2017 | UPDATED: 08:18 EST, 17 November 2017

Sometimes, beauty comes with a very hefty price.

In China, protected wild frogs are being cruelly killed so traditional Chinese medicine vendors could turn them into a popular 'anti-ageing' food ingredient.

Hasma, or known as 'xue ha gao' in Chinese, is made with the fallopian tubes of dried-up female frogs and is supposed to help consumers look young.

Cruel: Hundreds of Asiatic grass frogs are hung and dried to death in Jilin, north-east China

Dried to death: Asiatic grass frogs, once captured, are hung up for up to 30 days until they die

The best hasma is made in the north-eastern part of China and comes from Asiatic grass frogs, a protected amphibian species from the forest in the region under the Regulation on Protection of Wild Medicinal Resources.

Shocking pictures have emerged from Chinese media, capturing the production process of the popular medicinal food ingredient.

The photos are taken in Changbai mountain, Jilin Province, on November 7.

They show two full racks of frogs being hung up in front of a common grocery shop. The retailer pierced the frogs by a wire and hung them up until their death.

After the animals are killed, their collagen-filled tubes would be removed from their remains and put on sale in the shop. Their remains are thrown to the bin.

The shop owner told a reporter from iFeng.com: 'The hanging method can ensure that the hasma can be extracted at its best quality.'

Hasma (pictured) is usually sold in boxes in grocery stores or Chinese medicine shops

It's often cooked and eaten as Chinese dessert along with sugar and dried fruits (pictured)

Chen Jianping, an associate professor from the School of Chinese Medicine at University of Hong Kong told HK Economic Times: 'Pure hasma should be made from the fallopian tubes of female Asiatic grass frogs.

'However today, the hasma (on the market) might contain fallopian tubes, ovary or fat tissues from any frog families.'

In addition to the air-drying process, extra steps are apparently taken to the frogs in order to produce the best hasma.

According to Pixpo, when the frogs are captured they are cruelly knocked out with electricity before being hung up for about 20 to 30 days until they die.

Female Asiatic grass frog store rich nutrients in their oviducts before they hibernate in winter

Two full racks of frogs are hung up in front of a grocery shop in north-east China

The same Pixpo report said female Asiatic grass frogs have rich nutrients in their fallopian tubes. The tubes, which contain high protein and oestrogen. In winter when the frogs hibernate, the nutrients become a vital source of energy for the animals.

Hasma has become a precious health supplement for Chinese women, and can be dated back to Ben Cao Gang Mu, a 16th century Chinese herbology masterpiece written by legendary herbologist Li Shizhen.

In particular, pregnant woman believe hasma could help them achieve wrinkle-free skin. In addition, it's thought that hasma could boost women's energy level and stop them from feeling tired during pregnancy.

Hasma is considered as a precious health supplement that are favoured by Chinese women

Regina Lo, 48, a mother of two from Hong Kong, told MailOnline that she consumed hasma as a health supplement during her pregnancy in 2002.

'I used to have it once every week, boil them and pour in milk or sugar and eat it as dessert,' she said.

However, she said she did not experience any obvious change.

'I didn't see any difference, but psychologically I felt my skin got smoother and more glowing.'

Chinese medicine doctors said that hasma has high protein, vitamins and oestrogen

Female grass frogs were hung on wires for 20 to 30 days before being dissected for hasma

Professor Cui Hequan from Henan University of Traditional Chinese Medicine said hasma contains very high medical value, according to a People's Daily Online report.

'Hasma contains high collagen and amino acid which could help consumers get better metabolism, thus it could regenerate new skin and make women look youthful.

'It can also help balance the hormones and boost energy level.'

Professor Cui said hasma is suitable for pregnant woman who wish to provide extra nutrients to their babies, accelerate recovery from child birth and improve their skin condition.

According to The Pharmacopoeia of the People's Republic of China, published by the Ministry of Health, hasma can cure people who suffer from cough, sweating and insomnia.

The report recommended the food to people who have weaker health.

However, Dr Sun Lihong, a professor from Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine said though hasma could beautify the skin, eating too much of it might put the consumers under the risk of cancer.

Dr Sun told a reporter from Yangtze Evening News: 'Medicinal foods of animal origin, such as hasma and propolis (a resinous substance produced by bees), we have to be cautious.'

TCM & Beauty
    Weird stuff in TCM
    Endangered Species in TCM
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Facial

Fun opening sentence - bad pun + alliteration (as a editor, I notice stuff like that).

WHAT’S THE DEAL WITH FACIAL ACUPUNCTURE?

It’s the new, less invasive face-lift.

By: Naomi Nachmani

Let’s face it (pun shamelessly intended): Nothing quite Benjamin Buttons like Botox. We mean, as much as we’re all for aging au naturel, you can only have so many miracles à La Mer before you realize your collagen just isn’t that of your kid-self’s anymore. But the thought of face-lifts and fillers in the name of wrinkle removal can, well, to put it lightly, be ****ing terrifying.

So, as with many a beauty quest of late, we turned to the world of Korean beauty to source a more organic route to facial firming. The find: cosmetic acupuncture, which, yes, we’re very aware requires sticking needles in your face, but hands to our Hermès it’s not as scary as it sounds. “Acupuncture has been done for hundreds of years on the body to cure ailments before the rise of Western medicine. More recently due to its effectiveness, however, there’s been a growing trend of [Korean] women of all ages applying the procedure to their faces as well. Because women [in Korea] are all about youthful yet natural-looking results, some like to opt out of Botox and fillers in favor of facial acupuncture,” explains Angela Kim of Korean e-commerce shop InsiderBeauty.

Still a little wary (read: needle-phobic) of the whole ordeal, we asked Amanda Beisel, acupuncturist and founder of SKN Holistic Rejuvenation Clinic, to break down the ancient rejuvenation process of facial acupuncture.

ON THE BASICS OF COSMETIC ACUPUNCTURE:
    “Cosmetic acupuncture begins with body needles to balance and relax the body, and then fine dermal needles are inserted into the face. I use body needles called ‘Asiamed,’ which come from Germany, and facial needles called ‘dermal needles’ from Korea. I follow a specific [acupuncture] protocol called ‘Mei Zen’ and then do extra needling in specific fine lines and wrinkles. The facial needles improve blood and energy circulation, nourish your skin, and increase natural collagen production to diminish the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and dull skin.”

ON COSMETIC VS. TRADITIONAL ACUPUNCTURE:
    “Cosmetic acupuncture is specifically focused on improving the skin health and giving skin an overall glow, but it does incorporate traditional acupuncture that works to de-stress and calm the body. The appearance of the skin is connected to the state of your health, so it is important to balance the mind, body, and spirit.”

ON ITS ANTI-AGING EFFECTS:
    “The main benefits one will notice [from cosmetic acupuncture] is a brighter and healthier-looking complexion. It softens the appearance and slows the formation of fine lines. I encourage women in their late twenties and early thirties to incorporate this into their skin-care routine to prevent the signs of aging. There is nothing that completely eliminates the signs of aging—it just slows them down. I actually encourage people to embrace aging and do it gracefully, because aging and living each day is a beautiful thing.”

ON THE TIMING:
    “Each session is 45 minutes, and it generally takes five sessions to see results. Clients often notice an overall brightness to the skin after the first treatment, however. I encourage clients to complete a series of five to ten sessions, coming in weekly or bi-weekly, and then coming in every four to six weeks for maintenance.”

ON THE BEST AGE TO START:
    “It is always good to start early, before the signs of aging have really taken hold. You want to be stimulating collagen while it is naturally starting to decline, therefore fighting the aging process. Starting in your late twenties and early thirties is ideal, however it is never too late to start because it boosts the look and health of your skin, and that is beneficial to everyone.”

ON COSMETIC ACUPUNCTURE VS. BOTOX:
    “I feel cosmetic acupuncture is complementary to Botox. Botox targets specific fine lines and wrinkles, where cosmetic acupuncture improves the look and health of your skin. So together they work on the face as a whole, complementing the results each treatment provides. In terms of a face-lift, only a face-lift can do what a face-lift does. It is a much more drastic step in the aging process and often more of an option for those looking to make drastic changes to the skin. Clients can have cosmetic acupuncture anytime prior to Botox injections, but must wait four weeks post-Botox if they are wanting acupuncture in the area the Botox was injected. Clients can also have cosmetic acupuncture after facial surgery, but would want to wait at least one month. The acupuncture can help encourage and support healing of the skin post-surgery."

ON ANYONE WHO SHOULD AVOID THE PROCEDURE:
    “If you have a serious health condition, cosmetic acupuncture is not a good option. Also if you are taking blood-thinning medications.”

ON PRE-, DURING, AND POST-PROCEDURE SKIN TREATMENTS:
    “I am a huge promoter of using safe, effective products each day. It is very important that we are topically feeding and fueling our skin. I encourage clients to be using proper forms of vitamin C (powdered L-ascorbic acid), vitamin A (retinaldehyde), hyaluronic acid, AHAs, moisturizer, and a physical sunblock. If you are prone to bruising, taking arnica during your series of acupuncture can help to prevent bruises.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Will it make me pretty?

Cupping your way to beauty: It’s a trendy treatment in Hollywood, but does it work?
    by Rodney Dunigan Wednesday, July 18th 2018
    (WSYX/WTTE)

PLAIN CITY, Ohio — Health and beauty in a cup, so to speak anyway. Cupping therapy is growing in popularity. It's all thanks in part to athletes and celebrities. But, how affective is the treatment for those dealing with pain management and those simply wanting to look a bit younger?

Although Cupping Therapy is in the spotlight now days, this alternative form of medicine has actually be around for centuries. ABC6 spoke with clients and experts to get a bit of insight into what it's all about. Recently in vogue, the practice of cupping dates back hundreds of years. From ancient Egypt and Greece, to the Chinese culture which is most closely associated with cupping.

"I do a lot of people with scar tissue. I've had people come in with lower back pain, kinks in the neck," said Christina Frey, owner of Touch of Therapy Massage.

(WSYX/WTTE)

Be it athletes or stay at home moms, Frey has a diverse clientele. The owner of Touch of Therapy Massage told ABC6 that the popularity of this method continues to grow. Between the body messages and facial cupping, Frey told ABC6 that people are really starting to see the potential benefits.

"It's actually cleansing your face out. Pulling out impurities. I've seen old makeup come out., so it's cleaning the pores as well," said Frey.

During the process, suction cups are placed directly on the skin to promote circulation and relieve muscle tension.

"I describe it as an inverted message. So instead of me pressing down on the deep tissue or gently moving lymphatics it lifts everything to the surface," said Frey.

When it comes to facial cupping, therapists even claim it helps with sinus congestion and headaches. The beauty claims include reducing puffiness, softening those fine lines and wrinkles just to name a few.

"You notice the difference. It seems like the massage lasted longer and she was able to get in deeper to release the muscle tensions and everything," said client Paula Ferguson.

You can count Ferguson a believer. She has received a number of treatments. She told ABC6 that the treatments have improved her overall health.

(WSYX/WTTE)

"The skin is firmer, the lymphatic message helps to reduce the toxins and you actually feel like you have a little more energy," said Ferguson.

Modern cupping therapy doesn't come without a bit of criticism. Some medical experts have described it as simply a celebrity fad and junk science and indicate there's no real evidence of the effectiveness of the therapy. However, many of those clients who have used it disagree. The therapy is typically safe when it's done by a trained professional. But, if it is not there is the potential for serious bruising. So the experts warn, if you plan to use this therapy, do your research and make sure you are going to a trained therapist.
    THREADS
    TCM and Beauty Tips
    Cupping
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jade Rollers

Gigi, our Publisher Emeritus, has always kept these in her desk.

Jade rollers: how the West fell for Traditional Chinese medicine-inspired facial beauty tool that’s old hat to many in China
    Lauded for their supposed ability to tone, de-puff and brighten facial skin, jade rollers are a hit with Western beauty bloggers and celebrities like Meghan Markle and Rachael Ray – but not with their Chinese counterparts

PUBLISHED : Monday, 17 September, 2018, 7:17pm
    UPDATED : Monday, 17 September, 2018, 8:07pm
    Jessica Rapp

Paraded as one of the simplest solutions to facial perfection, the jade roller has swept across Western social media like wildfire. From top beauty bloggers and vloggers to celebrities including Meghan Markle and Rachael Ray, all swear by the ancient Chinese tool for its ability to tone, de-puff and brighten facial skin.

In China, things are a lot different. The jade roller is not a new fad, but a centuries-old device with properties based around ideas in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM).

“During the Qing dynasty, emperors used the power of jade to draw out negative ‘chi’ [energy],” explains Misty Stewart, spa director at the Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong. “Jade rollers have been considered a long-guarded treasure by Chinese royalty. In Chinese medicine, jade is referred to as the ‘stone of heaven’ and represents health, wealth, longevity and prosperity.”

Unlike their Western counterparts, Chinese beauty bloggers are not gushing over the ancient derma rollers and sending followers to e-commerce sites to buy their own. In China, rollers can be found atop hawkers’ dusty tables in front of tourist sites like the Forbidden City, which is where Beijing resident Hellen Shen found hers a number of years ago.

A jade roller sold by New York’s Ling Skin Care chain.

Shen says at first she simply thought the tool was beautiful, and it mostly sat in her room unused. Later, she saw one of the characters in a popular Chinese television drama, Empresses in the Palace, using a jade roller, and it inspired her to use it more often. She now keeps it in her fridge to enhance the jade stone’s natural cooling properties and uses it to massage facial oil into her skin, using gentle, circular motions.

New York-based facialist Ling Chan, who grew up in Hong Kong, has a theory as to why jade rollers blew up in the US.

“The internet spreads ideas very quickly, and everyone wants to learn beauty secrets from Asia,” she says. “Plus, it’s easy to get and to use. It’s such a low investment that everyone can do it.”

Jade rollers to be used in a facial treatment

Compared to the often pricey single-use face masks that K-beauty is known for, and hi-tech Japanese facial massagers available at Saks Fifth Avenue, the jade roller certainly stands out for its affordability. One can cost as little as US$10 on Amazon (and they can run even cheaper on Taobao), but Ling warns that consumers should make they are getting real jade. She sells her own version of the roller for US$90, which she says is priced for its quality – for one, the metal does not squeak on the stone when rolled.

Ling Skin Care branch in New York.

Chan introduced the tool at her Ling Skin Care outposts in Manhattan after first coming across one at a tourist site during a trip to China.

The jade roller treatments are popular for people that prefer a natural alternative to technology MISTY STEWART
    Sceptics argue that the roller is no more than a massage tool that possibly helps drain lymph nodes and has anti-inflammatory properties. Chan, however, is so set in her belief in jade that she uses the stone in her other daily routines as well. In 2002, she even made headlines for sleeping with a 9-inch by 15-inch (23cm by 38cm) jade pillow.

But despite its accessibility, is the jade roller just another 24-carat gold Korean beauty mask or unicorn body scrub for millennials?

Celebrities in the beauty and wellness industry are always looking for the next all-natural, accessible, DIY fad. Lifestyle brand Goop, for example, which drew criticism for promoting jade eggs to improve sexual health, is now touting derma rollers made from rose quartz – a crystal associated with love in feng shui – that are supposed to have similar soothing effects on the skin as jade.

An antique jade roller

Meanwhile, facials based on the principals of gua sha – a TCM-based detoxing technique that involves repeatedly scraping the skin with a smooth, blunt instrument – have recently appeared. Performed to cure breakouts or relieve dryness, the process involves dragging a slim slab of jade or rose quartz across the skin of the face.

Back in China, jade is being injected into spa packages in the form of luxurious, traditional Chinese experiences as more spas embrace a combination of both modern and traditional wellness techniques. The Chi Spa at Beijing’s China World Summit Wing hotel, for example, offers an “Empress Imperial Jade Journey”, a three-hour full body scrub and massage, topped off with a jade facial.

Interior of the spa at the Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong.

Stewart says the “Imperial Jade Ritual” at the Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong spa – which features jade roller facials – is one of their most popular. The two-hour service starts with a herbal compress and reflexology to open meridian energy lines, then moves on to a Chinese-style massage followed by a sesame and ground-rice scrub, and then a green tea and algae body mask. It finishes with a ginseng face mask massaged in with jade rollers, “ensuring equilibrium in mind and body”.

“The jade roller treatments are popular for people that prefer a natural alternative to technology,” Stewart says. “Many guests of ours have bought jade rollers at our retailer after the treatment so they could continue to use them at home and enjoy the benefits.”

Chan, however, believes millennial Chinese consumers are not going to be flooding their WeChat Moments feed with the tool any time soon.

“Every Chinese consumer knows the benefits of jade, but they love to look to the West for inspiration,” she says. “Consumers in China are constantly chasing the trends on the other side of the world.”
    THREADS
    TCM and Beauty Tips
    Jade
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

DIY facial cupping

seems legit

I Tried DIY Face Cupping Because It's Allegedly Better Than Botox

BY STEPHANIE MONTES
    4 DAYS AGO

I've had a bunch of chances to try cupping therapy, but I was always too afraid to rack up the tell-tale bruises down my back. Everyone from Justin Bieber to Kim Kardashian has tried cupping, which is known to help with pain, inflammation, blood flow, relaxation, muscle knots, and swelling, all of which sound amazing. When I heard about DIY face cupping, I knew I had to try it. I love a good weird beauty treatment (I mean, the idea of doing it to myself kind of freaks me out, but I'm game), plus the benefits are supposed to be fantastic I ordered the Urban Tonics Facial Cupping Set ($35; lifeessencecouncil.com), which is described as "better than Botox and much less invasive," not to mention cheaper and much more convenient. I've considered Botox, but I'm afraid of that too — facial cupping definitely seems like the safer choice.

When I finally unpacked my at-home cupping set, I started getting nervous about it. I didn't even stop to think about possible bruising and I've heard cupping (on the body) kind of hurts. I obviously don't want crop-circle looking marks on my face and I know if it hurts, I won't do it again, but I figure "what the hell? I already opened the package."

I started by washing my face and applying oil from my forehead to my neck (this helps the suction cups glide easier). Unlike traditional cupping therapy, this kit's suction cups don't remain in the same spot the entire treatment (which is what can cause bruising). Instead, you run 'em along your face to increase blood flow. The key is to keep the cup moving at all times to prevent bruising.

Stephanie Montes

The cups come with a handy little cheat sheet to show you where to treat your face. To create a suction, I pinched the silicone cups and place them on my skin. When I release the pinching, the cups create a suction and stick to my face. Now all I do is run them along the arrows seen on the chart above, while my skin is still suctioned.

It actually feels relaxing and isn't scary at all. I end up completing way more strokes than suggested (whoops) and can feel myself getting really relaxed. My face does get slightly red, but only in the areas that I've just treated and only for a few seconds. This is just because I'm getting the blood flowing, but it's not bruising, so I could hypothetically do it every day.

Giphy

After just one use, facial cupping gave me a natural, bright rosy glow and my laugh lines seem much softer (this is the only reason I even considered Botox in the first place). Creating a suction on the surface of the skin produces fresh oxygenated blood, which promotes collagen production and yields an instant glow.

Now that I've gotten the hang of it, I can do it with one hand and without looking in the mirror. I've decided that facial cupping will become my new end-of-day ritual — I already made a space for them on my nightstand. I'm making it my goal to bust out the cups every night while I lay in bed and catch up on my shows.
    THREADS
    TCM and Beauty Tips
    Cupping
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

From Shi Yanlei

Of course, this article doesn't mention Yanlei. It's just a 'shaolin monk', something they poached off his blog. You have to follow the discreet link.

Shaolin Monks Have Shared Their Top Tips For Staying Youthful
    by Chrisa Theodoraki – on Dec 01, 2018 in Health and Fitness

As someone famous once said, staying young is an inside job. It’s not just fish oil and collagen supplements we're talking about, but the right state of mind, which, according to Shaolin monks is just as important to ward off grey hairs.

And their advice is yours to take, because, come on…Who doesn’t like Shaolin monks?

So enjoy these small grains of Chinese wisdom that are just so diametrically opposite from everything we have been hardwired to believe.

Don’t think too much If you look older than your actual age, you might be overanalyzing your relationships, friendships, and your life in general. Τhe western world has likened wisdom to endless hours of thinking, but Buddhists monks apparently disagree.

Don’t talk too much Talking is like thinking, it requires your energy. Unless there’s a professional reason to do so, place your focus on your actions rather than your words. Shaolin monks believe that people either do or say. So be thrifty with your precious energy.When you are happy, you must control your feelingsHappiness doesn’t mean screaming on top of your lungs or rolling on the grass like a puppy. Not only this will hurt your lung energy, but your happiness will not last long.

When you work, make sure to take a 10-minute break every 40 minutes This means your body needs around one-and-a-half-hour break in total during your 8-hour working day. Are you getting enough rest?

Don’t overeat A slight feeling of hunger is beneficial and keeps you younger and more alert. There’s no need to reach for a snack every time the stomach feels light.

Resist feelings of anger and worry It doesn't take a Shaolin monk to tell you that walking around with an angry or worried face all the time doesn’t make you feel or look any younger.

Don’t rush things Multitasking and doing things faster are seen as signs of competence nowadays. But if you want to look younger, “hasten slowly and ye shall soon arrive”.

Exercise in a way that keeps your Yin and Yang in balance We all know that people who exercise regularly look younger. But it is important to stretch and relax your body after strenuous exercise to balance your inner energies.

Finally, like a proper Shaolin monk, practice the ancient art of Kung Fu!
    THREADS
    Shaolin Temple UK
    TCM and Beauty Tips
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Snail facial

Slightly OT but I got into a discussion about snails recently and then this dated vid was shared with me. We've discussed snail massage in the Qigong Massage thread.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sham rollers?

I gave out some jade rollers as stocking stuffers for xmas. They are all over SF Chinatown, and like anything there, prices and quality really varies.

Wellness
    Jade rollers: Wrinkle-fighting wonder cure or pointless (yet pretty) sham?

(iStock)
    By Elizabeth Kiefer January 14

When I was a kid, my grandmother kept a clean metal spoon in the refrigerator. If her allergies would act up — or whenever she felt like her under-eyes were puffy — she would pull the cold spoon out and roll the rounded back beneath her eyes, for 30 seconds each. It’s a cheap, easy beauty hack I regularly use myself these days. It is also a comparable yesteryear version of today’s jade roller craze.

For the unfamiliar, a jade roller is pretty much what it sounds like: a hand-size, paint-roller-like apparatus with a cylinder of jade stone at one end. Jade rollers are said to have been a part of beauty routines among Chinese elites since the Qing dynasty, which began in the early 17th century; people who associate stones with certain properties claim jade has a special ability to heal and soothe.

Flash forward a few hundred years: In 2018, jade rollers were all the rage on Instagram, beloved by beauty bloggers across the globe. Their popularity can be attributed to their position at the intersection of two trends: increasing interest in both self-care and “natural” wellness products. You can acquire a jade roller for $12.99 on Amazon.com or $40 at Sephora; if you prefer rose quartz, that’s an option, too — for $45 on Goop.com.

Some evangelists claim that the rolling motion of the stone on your face can help clear toxins and decrease puffiness, while others assert much loftier results: that regular use of jade rollers can erase wrinkles, stimulate collagen, tighten pores and potentially improve inflammatory skin conditions. They’re often touted as an “anti-aging” tool (a phrase some beauty circles, such as Allure magazine, have banned).

In reality, explains Suzanne Friedler, a Manhattan-based dermatologist, jade rollers are about as effective as any form of facial massage when done correctly. “Any time you massage any of the tissues, you’re increasing circulation. Your skin may look brighter, more luminous, maybe more contoured and less puffy,” she says. “But if you’re looking for substantive change, that’s not going to happen with the jade roller. It’s also not going to have an effect on inflammatory conditions like eczema or psoriasis.”

Susan Bard, a dermatologist with Manhattan Dermatology Specialists, says that people need to be wary about the potential for jade rollers to transmit bacteria — if you’re not disinfecting your roller, you may wind up doing more harm than good — and about overly aggressive usage. “The coldness of the stone can certainly help reduce puffiness. But the drawbacks are if you rub too vigorously, you can actually aggravate acne or create irritation.” She agrees that using a roller regularly can have some skin-deep benefits, but adds that it’s not the jade itself that’s the special ingredient.

The heart keeps our blood moving throughout the circulatory system at a regular clip. But lymphatic system fluid — which contains white blood cells and plays an important role in protecting the body from germs and disease — flows more slowly and can be helped along manually. Massage in any form can decrease puffiness by helping to move retained fluid (known as lymph) out of areas where it has gotten stuck, Bard explains. Meanwhile, coldness, from a stone or even a metal spoon, can decrease inflammation by causing blood vessels to contract.

Elizabeth Taylor, owner and lead aesthetician of True Beauty Brooklyn in New York, regularly incorporates manual lymphatic drainage into her facials. There are upward of 300 lymph nodes (essentially, checkpoints where lymph gets filtered for infection) in the face and neck, Taylor says; facial massage can help get the lymph moving and drained away. In turn, that can make your face look more contoured and give your skin that sought-after glow.

The good news is that you can also pull this off on your own: Using a face oil, serum or a silky face wash, pinch your thumb and forefinger together and, starting from the center of your chin, gently push backward along your jawline a few times. Then, place your ring finger next to your inner eye and, with light pressure, trace a half circle underneath your eyes, up to the temples. Finally, place the tips of all 10 fingers in the center of your forehead and draw your fingers outward. At the very least, the massage itself feels great.

If you do see an extra glow or reduced puffiness, don’t get too excited. “These are all temporary results,” Friedler says. Facial massage — with a stone or otherwise — is not a magical cure for all your skin complaints. Claims that using a jade roller helps stimulate collagen — the main structural protein of the skin — lack veracity: According to Friedler, the only way to do that is to traumatize the collagen with laser treatments, acid peels or retinoids.

Bard supplied one more caveat for anyone hopping on the “natural skin care” bandwagon. “There are natural things that do have benefits, like aloe, and there are natural things that you wouldn’t want to put on your face — like poison ivy. Just because something has been around for a million years doesn’t mean it’s the best option. Scientifically proven products are always the best ones to go with.”
    THREADS
    TCM and Beauty Tips
    Jade
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

Not quite TCM but very C.

'white, tender, and busty'

Chinese coconut milk maker tells women drinking its milk will give them bigger breasts
    "I drank from small to big," reads the popular brand's new slogan featuring bosomy babes
    by Alex Linder February 14, 2019 in News

China’s favorite brand of coconut milk has shocked customers yet again with its shamelessness in advertising, implying once more that drinking its beverage will help to increase a woman’s bust size.

New packaging on cans of Coconut Palm shows a bosomy woman alongside the words “I drank from small to big.” Other adverts show more busty ladies and the same slogan along with the promise that “drinking more coconut milk every day will make your breasts fuller.”

This is far from the first time that the Hainan-based beverage brand has tried out this sales tactic. Over the years, the company has frequently filled its promotional posters with cleavage and claims that its product works as a kind of natural breast enlarger.

Back in 2017, Coconut Palm raised eyebrows with a commercial starring a bevy of beautiful ladies frolicking on the beach in low-cut tops as the drink’s various “health benefits” are listed.

“A can a day and you’ll be white, tender, and busty,” the ad promises.

In response to outrage over the brand’s latest promotional efforts, one staff member told reporters that the slogan “I drank from small to big” means only that the women started drinking Coconut Palm when they were very young. The company introduced the drink back in 1988.

Meanwhile, Coconut Palm itself has responded that past data has shown that its beverage can increase bust size so it uses this as a selling point, though the company admits that “opinions differ” as to the effect so it’s up to local authorities to make a decision.

On Wednesday, the industrial and commercial bureau of Longhua district in the city of Haikou announced that it has opened up an investigation into Coconut Palm over suspected false advertising.

When this issue came up back in 2017, the Beijing News interviewed nutritionists who balked at the company’s claimed “breast benefits.” In response, a Coconut Palm employee told the outlet that they were basing their bust-enhancing claims on a 1997 report in a Hong Kong newspaper which said that drinking coconut milk could help to enlarge a woman’s breasts.

In the two decades since then, the company has apparently yet to undertake any tests to actually confirm this report, though, this hasn’t stopped them from building an advertising campaign around the claim.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I drank from small to big

Coconut milk brand spins shameless slogan with new commercial that doesn’t focus on boobs
    "I drank from small to big" refers to age, not breasts, the company claims
    by Alex Linder February 15, 2019 in News

After igniting public anger with its outrageous advertisements featuring bosomy women and bogus “health benefits,” China’s favorite brand of coconut milk has attempted to put a new spin on its shameless slogan.

That slogan, “I drank from small to big,” has been featured prominently on new packaging and adverts for Coconut Palm products alongside the images of busty female models. While the meaning of this sentence may seem blatantly obvious, particularly considering the company’s history of promoting its beverage as a natural breast enhancer, the brand is now trying to claim that the slogan has been misconstrued.

Earlier this week, a customer service representative told reporters that the phrase only means that the women had started drinking Coconut Milk when they were very young. The company introduced the drink back in 1988 and many people in China have grown up drinking the delicious beverage.

To apparently reinforce this interpretation, the company has introduced a new squeaky clean ad featuring girls and women of all ages. First, a large-chested foreign woman who introduces the drink via dubbing:

Then, a young girl who says: “At primary school, mom told me to drink it.”

Next comes an older girl who continues: “At middle school, I drank it myself.”

And a young woman who says: “At university, I drank it every day.”

The ad then ends with all women declaring together: “White and tender, I drank from small to big!”

The “white and tender” part is supposedly in reference to the coconut ingredients of the drink, not breasts. Previously, the company used the slogan: “white, tender, and plump,” but has apparently decided now to drop that last word.

Thanks to all of the hoopla surrounding Coconut Palm this week, the company has now found itself under investigation for suspected false advertising by the industrial and commercial bureau of Longhua district in the city of Haikou.

It’s not clear why the brand hasn’t been investigated previously as Coconut Palm has implied for years that its drink will help grow women’s breasts. Back in 2017, the company raised eyebrows with quite a different kind of commercial featuring a bevy of beautiful ladies frolicking on the beach in low-cut tops.

At that time, the Beijing News interviewed nutritionists who balked at the company’s claimed “breast benefits.” In response, a Coconut Palm employee told the outlet that they were basing their bust-enhancing claims on a 1997 report in a Hong Kong newspaper which said that drinking coconut milk could help to enlarge a woman’s breasts.

In the two decades since then, the company has apparently yet to undertake any tests to actually confirm this report, though, this hasn’t stopped them from building advertising campaigns around the claim.
    So many coconut puns come to mind...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Banned

Misleading yes, but vulgar? I used to work in SF's SOMA district long before it gentrified. Vulgar has a completely different meaning to me.

“Vulgar” and “misleading” commercials from Chinese coconut milk brand banned from TV
    The company has told women that drinking its milk will give them bigger breasts
    by Alex Linder March 20, 2019 in News

It appears that a Chinese coconut milk maker will have to develop new marketing strategies after being ordered to stop airing its controversial commercials which insinuate that its beverage will give women bigger breasts.

The Hainan-based Coconut Palm company is China’s leading purveyor of coconut milk, known across the country for its delicious product and shameless advertising. In the past, commercials from the brand have featured ladies frolicking on the beach in low-cut tops alongside the message: “A can a day and you’ll be white, tender, and busty.”

Last month, the company got into trouble over a new slogan: “I drank from small to big,” again featuring busty female models.

Despite the obvious implication, they later tried to spin this marketing stunt, claiming that the phrase referred to how the women had started drinking Coconut Palm when they were very young. To reinforce this interpretation, a new more wholesome commercial was even released not focusing on breasts for a change.

However, it doesn’t appear that Chinese regulators are buying that excuse. On Monday, the National Television and Radio Administration announced that it had ordered Coconut Palm to cease broadcasting its controversial commercials on television, calling the ads “sensational,” “vulgar,” and misleading for the public and adolescents in particular.

The move comes as part of a crackdown on false or lewd advertising. A pair of “health” companies selling libido-boosting drugs have also had their ads banned from Chinese TV.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jade Rollers make great gifts

Jade-Rollers now has its own thread independent of the TCM and Beauty Tips and Jade threads.

Wait—Do Jade Rollers Actually Do Anything for Your Skin?

Cosmopolitan
    Brooke Shunatona
    Cosmopolitan August 23, 2019

Photo credit: Jeffrey Westbrook/Studio D Stylist: Alma Melendez

From Cosmopolitan

Depending on who you ask, jade rollers are the be-all and end-all of skincare tools… or they're just a pretty decoration for your vanity. So what's the truth here? We turned to Sandra Lanshin Chiu, founder of the holistic healing studio Lanshin in Brooklyn and expert in Chinese medicine dermatology, and Melissa Kanchanapoomi Levin, M.D., dermatologist and founder of Entière Dermatology in NYC to answer the perennial question, "Should I buy this or will I be mad I wasted my money?" Keep on scrolling to find out what they had to say.

Do jade rollers actually work?

Wellll, that really depends on what your goal is here. Are jade rollers the magical cure-all for your acne breakouts and wrinkles, like some make it out to be? Sorry to disappoint, but no. Jade rolling can, however, reduce puffiness temporarily by increasing lymphatic drainage, according to both Chiu and Levin. As far as improving product penetration, that's where they differ. While Chiu says it can help, Levin says there's really no science to back that up. All that's to say, if you don't expect any miracles and you like the way it smooths on your products, then yeah, jade rolling might work for you.

Is a rose quartz or jade roller better?

~Technically~ jade rollers are made with (you guessed it) jade stones, but you've likely seen other gemstones used in face rollers, like rose quartz. So can you just pick yours out based on the color you like or will it make a difference? According to Chiu, the stone doesn't really matter. "Variations in the type of stone won’t effect results," she says. "The key is good technique plus consistency."

Should you use a jade roller after moisturizer?

Though it might not work to push the products any deeper into your skin, jade rolling 100 percent feels better when performed after moisturizing. To get the skin properly hydrated beforehand, Chiu suggests first spraying a hydrating mist or applying an alcohol-free toner and gently patting it into the skin. Then, smooth on a hydrating serum, followed by your hydrating mist again. To lock it all in, finish with a few drops of a natural face oil, and you're ready to rock and roll (and, no, I'm not even a little bit sorry for that pun).

How do you use a jade roller?

Let me guess—you got your jade roller, did a couple haphazard strokes across your face, and called it good, right? While that might feel good and everything, there is a proper method and reason for jade rolling, so let's take sec to go over that first. As Chiu describes it, "Jade rolling is a simple technique derived from ancient Chinese Medicine using a roller to apply pressure to the skin and underlying tissue, creating movement beneath the surface." Jade rolling is kinda like foam-rolling your face, though it definitely isn't as painful as working through tight muscles on your body. In fact, if it hurts, you're def doing it wrong.

So what is the right way to use a jade roller? Hint: not like a paint roller on a wall. Instead of pushing the tool back and forth and in every which way, Chiu says to work in specific directions depending on what you're trying to target. After hydrating your skin to prep, follow her steps for face rolling, below:

Neck: Start with the neck to open channels of circulation. Place the roller in the back at the top of your neck, and roll downwards along the sides. Then, move to the front and roll from the jawline down to the collarbone.

Cheeks: Place the roller in the middle of your face, and push it outward toward the sides.

Forehead: Roll from your hairline down to your eyebrow. Then, take the roller between your brows and pull it horizontally towards your temple and repeat on the other brow.

Eyes: Gently roll horizontally from the outer corner of your eye toward the inner corner and repeat on the other eye.

How often should you use a jade roller?

It's important to note that the results won't last forever, so to see any effects, you'll have to keep it up. Chiu suggests using your jade roller on a daily basis and whenever you do your skincare routine.

Should I keep my face roller in the fridge?

As nice as it might feel to glide ice cold stones across your puffy face, Chiu says they generally avoid using cooler temps to treat the body in Chinese medicine. "Although a cold roller can feel nice, cold contracts circulation and the actual purpose of rolling is to increase circulation," Chiu says. "I encourage everyone to focus on good rolling technique, rather than on the gratifying feel of a cold tool."

One exception: Both Chiu and Levin say that if you're experiencing allergies or a sunburn, a cool jade roller can help soothe the skin. Chiu suggests first washing the tool with warm, soapy water to get rid of any product that could exacerbate the skin reaction, then gently roll over the affected area with a cold roller.

Final Thoughts

Jade rolling is a good first step for anyone interested in natural skincare, but if you're looking for a tool and technique for a more sculpted look, Chiu suggests Gua Sha, a similar but different technique used in Chinese medicine, instead.

In other words, jade rollers aren't the magic wands they're sometimes touted to be. Will they overhaul your skin? That's more myth than truth, but they feel really freakin' good and make an otherwise mundane skincare routine much more fun—and that, my friends, is fact.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips