Thread: Is Ji Still Taught?

Is Ji Still Taught?

Is there some style that still teaches the use of Ji (戟) or double Ji?

You should watch my show, Cataphract

You should all watch my show. Man at Arms: Art of War.

Episode 1 was “Weapons of Kung Fu.” Here's the synopsis: "Ancient China developed the honorable martial arts of Kung Fu and the weapons needed incredible precision and expert handling. The ji is a hybrid between a spear and a dagger-axe that has been used for over 3000 years. The wind and fire blade is used in pairs to slash, stab or disarm an opponent."

Here's the extra vid for that ep:

Short answer: Ji is still taught but it's fairly rare. My first Kung Fu master, Sifu Wing Lam, taught it, but I never learned it. I may have worked on the video he made of it, but I honestly can't remember. I wrote the scripts for most of his videos but that was so long ago.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I learned a shuang (double) Ji form from my first CMA teacher in Taiwan. He taught both Long Fist and Mantis. That was way back in the mid-1980s. I didn't practice it for very long. Other than the appearance of the weapon, there wasn't anything special about the techniques or the form itself. I found I much preferred the basic weapons.

I heard that teacher eventually returned to Shandong and passed away several years ago.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 07-19-2017 at 08:30 AM.

ji technique is too simple for form. all the ji forms are fake. its a one shot weapon and the axe head is designed to snap off on impact

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC