Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Cobra Kai

COBRA KAI Season 4 PREDICTIONS, THEORIES + Potential CAMEOS

This vid is based on my article above.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Cobra Kai Season 3: Does Young Kreese Redeem Cobra Kai’s Founding Sensei?

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cobra Kai and the Debate Around Cultural Appropriation

My latest feature for Den of Geek: Cobra Kai and the Debate Around Cultural Appropriation

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Cobra Kai & GM Abbate

Local Kung Fu Training Group Has Strange Connections to Netflix’ Cobra Kai
    February 2, 2021 Steven Bonifazi

Grandmaster Steven G. Abbate. Photo courtesy of Tracey Buchanan.
    By Tracey Buchanan

Kung Fu Master James C. Likens never thought twice about his GrandMaster’s legacy until he began noticing strange coincidences watching Netflix’s Cobra Kai with his three youngest daughters.

“Everyone loves the Karate Kid,” said Master Likens, a seventh-degree black belt. “So when we heard about Cobra Kai, we thought it would be fun to watch, being a Kung fu family and all.”

That’s when the strangeness started. “I knew there was an actual Cobra Kai Karate dojo out of Chicago because it was run by one of my Grandmaster’s top students,” said Master Likens. “His name was Steve Abbate, and he was a decorated Vietnam veteran, Marine Force Recon, and the recipient of the Silver Star,” Master Likens said. “He was known for his “no mercy” philosophy and for being particularly brutal on his students, just like the Cobra Kai Master John Kreese in the series,” said Master Likens.

Master Likens got a few opportunities to train under Master Abbate at his Grandmaster John Tsai’s seminars, and Abbate actually signed Likens’ Master Certificate, which hangs on his dojo wall. “When Abbate taught, it was never conceptual,” said Master Likens. “I have video of him from a seminar demonstrating techniques, and he went through about 4 or 5 students in one demonstration,” Master Likens said.

But the uncanny connections don’t end there, as Master Likens’ legacy in his hometown of Indianapolis is one of shared spirit with Abbate’s teachings.

“When I was training students in Indy, I was very concerned with giving them skills that would serve them in an actual street fight,” said Master Likens. Most of my inner circle students were law enforcement like myself, and they needed to be prepared for the average 4 fights a week,” Master Likens said.

But as Master Likens points out, it’s actually the untrained officer that ends up using excessive force out of fear. As a police officer, he was known for his fairness in the street, and neither he nor any of the officers he trained ever went to internal affairs for civil rights violations or excessive force.

“That’s the true meaning of being a peacekeeper, having the confidence to end a fight before it starts because your wits are about you,” said Master Likens. “If you’re afraid, you overreact, but if you’re confident in your ability to handle a fight, that calmness allows for compassion,” Master Likens said.

As a result of this philosophy, several members of the Larimer County Sheriff’s Office train under Master Likens to this day.

“Only a trained warrior can choose to be truly peaceful, for indeed it’s all about having a choice. If you have the ability to fight, you can truly choose peace; that is a stance that means something,” said Master Likens. “Training gives you self confidence that ends violence before it begins, and therein is the paradox and meaning behind the Cobra Kai philosophy,” Master Likens said.

Master Likens has taught a hard/soft martial arts philosophy for over 30 years, with two large dojos and one underground fight club during the ’90s in Indianapolis, IN. He has trained MMA champions for the legendary Integrated Fighting gym, which has had several UFC contracts over the years. He also taught defensive tactics at the Indianapolis Police Academy and even did a stint teaching Criminal Justice at Front Range Community College’s Fort Collins Campus.

“After years of training, I strongly recommend a hard/soft style martial art. That’s truly the way to go,” said Master Likens, “It’s that balance that gives you the capacity for peaceful resolution,” Master Likens said.

Master Likens currently teaches a tiny closed-door Kung Fu group but would like to open a dojo large enough to train multiple classes and age groups.

“Bag rounds and cardio kickboxing will certainly get you in shape, but those skills are no good in a fight,” said Master Likens. “I’d like to have a place big enough to do that and the funding to make it happen,” Master Likens said. “If you know a guy, let me know,” said Master Likens with a laugh.

James C Likens was also a Larimer County Ranger for a number of years and recipient of the Meritorious Service Medal during the High Park Fire as well as a Sheriff’s Letter of Commendation for his lifesaving role in putting out an arson fire in the Deer Park neighborhood west of Horsetooth Reservoir.

“I’ve spent 10 years in the Fort Collins area training students, and I finally have the black belts I need to start passing on the lineage,” said Master Likens. “There are some amazingly talented Senseis in other martial arts disciplines here in Fort Collins, and I’d love to give them space to do their thing as well,” Master Likens said. “The American Shaolin Temple has always been in the Midwest and the West Coast, but I say the Front Range is the future of American martial arts,” said Master Likens.

For more information regarding Steven G. Abbat and Cobra Kai, visit: https://www.denofgeek.com/culture/th...-of-cobra-kai/
    Cool that they cited my article.

threads
    Cobra-Kai
    Passing-of-Master-Steven-Abbate
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More Than Miyagi Director On Honoring Pat Morita

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Vanessa Rubio & Peyton List

Feb 26, 2021 12:00pm PT
    ‘Cobra Kai’ Promotes Vanessa Rubio, Peyton List to Series Regulars for Season 4, Show Adds Two to Cast

By Joe Otterson

“Cobra Kai” has promoted both Vanessa Rubio and Peyton List to series regular status ahead of Season 4 on Netflix.

Rubio has been with the show since Season 1 in the role of Carmen Diaz, the mother of Johnny Lawrence’s star pupil, Miguel. List joined the show in Season 2 as Tory Nichols, a tough-as-nails member of Cobra Kai.

In addition, both Dallas Dupree Young and Oona O’Brien have joined Season 4. Young will recur as Kenny, a bullied new kid in school who turns to karate as a way to defend himself. O’Brien will recur as Devon, a potential new karate student who is relentlessly competitive, a quick study, and equally quick-tempered when she’s provoked.

Rubio’s past credits include the Netflix shows “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina,” “Dolly Parton’s Heartstrings,” and “Master of None.” In film, she has appeared in “How to Be Single,” “The Hudson Tribes,” and “The Girl in Trouble.”

She is repped by Buchwald, JWS Entertainment, and Frankfurt Kurnit Klein & Selz.

List is known for her role in the Disney series “Jessie” and the spinoff “Bunk’d.” Other credits include “Happy Together,” “Light as a Feather,” and the Adam Sandler Netflix film “Hubie Halloween.”

She is repped by CAA and Gang Tyre.

Young previously starred in Nickelodeon’s “Cousins For Life” and has held roles on Showtime’s “Shameless,” NBC’s “The Good Place,” ABC’s “Mixed-ish,” and Freeform’s “The Fosters” among others.

He is repped by Osbrink Talent Agency, Treadwell Entertainment Group, and Myman Greenspan.

O’Brien was one of 11 young actors selected by Nickelodeon to study at the renowned Second City Training Center in Chicago in 2019. She previously performed in theatrical productions of “Annie” and “School of Rock.”
    I enjoyed chatting with Peyton List for the Season 3 press junket.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cobra Kai: Card Fighter Announcement Trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cobra Kai: Season 4 | Terry Silver Returns | Netflix

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cobra Kai: Season 4 | All Valley Karate Tournament Promo | Netflix

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

S5

Renewed!!!
    ‘Cobra Kai’ Renewed For Season 5 At Netflix Ahead Of Season 4 Premiere
    By Rosy Cordero
    Senior TV Reporter
    @SocialRosy

August 27, 2021 9:22am

Ralph Maccchio, left, and William Zabka in ‘Cobra Kai’
    Netflix
    Netflix has renewed Cobra Kai for season 5 ahead of its fourth season premiere in Dec. Production on the new season is set to begin in Atlanta this fall.

The news comes as no surprise after the popular series earned four Emmy nominations in July including Outstanding Comedy Series, Outstanding Sound Editing for a Comedy, Outstanding Stunt Performance, and Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Comedy.

Cobra Kai is a spin-off series connected to The Karate Kid franchise following the competitive world of martial arts in Southern California starring Ralph Macchio as the titular character Daniel LaRusso and William Zabka as his nemesis Johnny Lawrence. The Netflix project revisits both characters in present-day as they launch dojos of their own and mentor the next generation of karate kids.

Season 4 picks up after the events of the season 3 finale that saw Daniel and Johnny combine their dojos to take on the villainous John Kreese (Martin Kove) at the All Valley Tournament. The season is connected to The Karate Kid Part III and will see the return of Kreese’s equally evil best friend Terry Silver (Thomas Ian Griffith).

Produced by Sony Pictures Television, Cobra Kai is written and executive produced by Josh Heald, Jon Hurwitz, and Hayden Schlossberg via their production company, Counterbalance Entertainment. Will Smith, James Lassiter, and Caleeb Pinkett executive produce for Westbrook Entertainment along with Susan Ekins. Macchio and Zabka also serve as executive producers.

The first three seasons of the series are available to stream via Netflix now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Yey! another one that is worth waiting for.

Cobra Kai: Season 4 | Date Announcement | Netflix

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cobra Kai Season 4: Can Daniel and Johnny Make Amends?

My latest feature for Den of Geek: Cobra Kai Season 4: Can Daniel and Johnny Make Amends?

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Signed

‘Cobra Kai’ Creators Re-Up Overall Deal With Sony Pictures TV For Their Counterbalance Entertainment, Set Comedy ‘The Prince’ With Writer Zora Bikangaga

By Nellie Andreeva
    Co-Editor-in-Chief, TV

@DeadlineNellie

September 9, 2021 9:00am

(L-R) Josh Heald, Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg
    Counterbalance Entertainment
    EXCLUSIVE: Cobra Kai creators, executive producers and showrunners Jon Hurwitz, Hayden Schlossberg and Josh Heald have signed a big new four-year overall deal with the studio behind the hit Karate Kid sequel series, Sony Pictures Television.

When the trio signed their first overall deal with Sony Pictures TV in early 2019 and launched their Counterbalance Entertainment production company, Cobra Kai had just been renewed for a third season by YouTube. Since then, Sony TV successfully moved the series to Netflix where it has become a global hit, topping viewership charts and earning Season 4 and Season 5 renewals, along with landing four 2021 Emmy nominations for Season 3, including Outstanding Comedy Series.

Now, ahead of the Primetime Emmy Awards this month and Cobra Kai’s Season 4 premiere in December, Sony Pictures TV has stepped up with an early renewal of Counterbalance’s three-year overall deal for four more years.

Under the new pact, Hurwitz, Schlossberg and Heald, along with Counterbalance Head of Development Dina Hillier, will continue to develop comedy, drama and unscripted TV projects for the studio. That includes exploring expanding the Cobra Kai and Karate Kid universe with spinoffs and other offshoots, something Hurwitz, Schlossberg and Heald have spoken about, pointing to the way another Sony TV series, Breaking Bad, has successfully branched out with prequel series Better Call Saul and sequel movie El Camino.

Zora Bikangaga
    Courtesy photo
    Additionally, Counterbalance is In early development on half-hour coming-of-age comedy The Prince, written/executive produced by Zora Bikangaga (Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist, The First Lady). Inspired by Bikangaga’s real life, The Prince is described as Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night meets Coming To America set on a college campus in the early-2000s. The half-hour comedy centers on Temba Mutoro, a gregarious international student from Uganda who we eventually discover is a Black American freshman faking an accent inspired by his immigrant father and Eddie Murphy’s Prince Akeem. Sam Laybourne is executive producer and showrunner; Mo Marable is set to executive produce and direct.

“Jon, Hayden and Josh are among the most imaginative and ingenious writers and producers in the business,” said Jeff Frost, President of Sony Pictures Television Studios. “When they first pitched us their idea for Cobra Kai, we knew they were on to something incredibly special and that this team would be an amazing addition to the Sony family. We are so thrilled with their development slate and are elated that we will be continuing our partnership with them in the Sony dojo for many years to come.”

Previously announced Counterbalance projects in development include limited series on the NCAA, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, and animated series Prince Wawa, which has been set up at Fox.

“Arriving at Sony four years ago with only a knapsack full of karate dreams, we are overwhelmed and invigorated by the ongoing creative partnership we’ve experienced,” said Hurwitz, Schlossberg and Heald. “Jeff Frost, Jason Clodfelter, and their entire team have shown us great trust in re-envisioning a beloved IP, as well as providing the freedom to develop unique projects with fresh perspectives. In Phase Two of Counterbalance Entertainment’s evolution, we look forward to expanding into new genres, deepening our franchise development, and churning out the most badass content on television.”

This summer Counterbalance Entertainment released the praised road-trip comedy Plan B for Hulu. The company will also produce a feature film adaption of History Channel’s series Ancient Aliens with Legendary, with Heald set to direct.

Before teaming up for Cobra Kai, Hurwitz & Schlossberg as well as Heald created successful feature comedy franchises. Hurwitz and Schlossberg are behind the Harold & Kumar buddy comedy franchise for New Line and Heald originated Hot Tub Time Machine for MGM. Additional credits include the popular American Pie followup, American Reunion, written and directed by Hurwitz and Schlossberg, who also produced the 2018 comedy Blockers for Universal.

Prior to joining Counterbalance Entertainment, Hillier served as VP and Co-Head Live-Action Series at Disney Channel, as well as VP of Comedy at Paramount Television. She began her career at Sony Pictures Television where she developed and oversaw cult comedies Community and Happy Endings.

Bikangaga is currently co-producer on Showtime’s I Love This For You. He is repped by APA and Principal Entertainment. Heald, Hurwitz and Schlossberg are repped for TV by CAA. Heald’s attorney is Howard Abramson of Behr Abramson Levy. Hurwitz and Schlossberg’s attorney is Adam Kaller of Hansen Jacobson Teller.
    I've seen the screeners for Season 4 for some more work I'm doing for Den of Geek. I'm under NDA but I will say that S4 keeps up the pace. Loving this show.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cobra Kai Season 4 | Official Trailer | Netflix

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips