Jackie Chan’s Mr. Han and Ralph Macchio’s Daniel LaRusso Will Appear in New ‘Karate Kid’ Film
The movie is set for release in December 2024 and a global casting search is underway for the title character

BY LARISHA PAUL

NOVEMBER 21, 2023

Jackie Chan and Ralph Macchio DANIELE VENTURELLI/GETTY IMAGES/THE RED SEA INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL; BRYAN BEDDER/GETTY IMAGES/PARAMOUNT PICTURES

A GLOBAL CASTING search is underway for the lead role in the forthcoming Karate Kid film — but the cast list has two essential roles already covered. Set for release in December 2024, the Sony Pictures film will find Jackie Chan and Ralph Macchio returning to the franchise.

Macchio appeared in the original Karate Kid film, released in 1984, in the role of 15-year-old Daniel LaRusso. He subsequently starred in the 1986 and 1989 sequels before reprising his role in the action comedy-drama series Cobra Kai in 2018.

Chan made his debut in the Karate Kid universe in the 2010 remake. He appeared as Mr. Han in the film, which also starred a young Jaden Smith and Taraji P. Henson. The role was based on the original character of Mr. Miyagi, who was portrayed by Pat Morita in Macchio’s Karate Kid.

Macchio and Chan made the announcement in a casting promotion on Tuesday, sharing that their coming together for the film is “big news,” but their search for the next Karate Kid is even bigger. According to Hollywood Reporter, the film will center around a teenager from China as he finds his footing on the East Coast. Rob Lieber helmed the script, and Jonathan Entwistle will direct.

“One of the interesting things with viewing the Karate Kid film is you’re following that kid. The camera’s on his shoulder, and you’re living every frame through Danny LaRusso,” Macchio told Rolling Stone in 2020. “When I showed the film to my kids, say 15 years ago, all of a sudden I viewed that film from the perspective of Mr. Miyagi because I was looking at this kid that would not listen, and he was less interesting to me than Miyagi was. So I gained a new perspective on the same — and it is something we’re bringing.”
I specifically asked the Cobra Kai showrunners about Jackie and they said that Mr. Han was not part of the canon.

The-Karate-Kid
Cobra-Kai